FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CD writer

Tony The Tiger
If I am writing a file to my CD drive, should it scratch the disk if I move my laptop. I was at first surprised it did so, but then I thought about it and realized that may be the explanation for a recent failed operation.
GDRanimation
l
TheGeek
That is possibly an indication of one of two things:

1. The screws around the drive that secure either the shell of the laptop or the CD drive into the laptop are lose and they just need to be tightened as was the case in my laptop.

2. You may be just be picking your laptop up incorrectly. If you pick it up with one hand, make sure to pick it up from the opposite side of the cd drive or try to rest it on your forearm to distribute the weight evenly. Or better yet, you pick it up with two hands and that should keep the cd drive from flexing and scratching the CD
internetjobs
adjust your screws with a service engineer. it is good
Tony The Tiger
TheGeek wrote:
That is possibly an indication of one of two things:

1. The screws around the drive that secure either the shell of the laptop or the CD drive into the laptop are lose and they just need to be tightened as was the case in my laptop.

2. You may be just be picking your laptop up incorrectly. If you pick it up with one hand, make sure to pick it up from the opposite side of the cd drive or try to rest it on your forearm to distribute the weight evenly. Or better yet, you pick it up with two hands and that should keep the cd drive from flexing and scratching the CD

I had not thought of the possibility that flexion rather than motion may be causing the scratching. I am not sure I will test out the problem by moving the laptop around while burning, but I appreciate this clearmindedness.