FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The 200 club

truespeed
My suggestion is for another general type forum for those people who have posted over 200 times,the reason for this, is to get away from the ("whats your favourite shoe" POLL: left or right ) type threads.

Only those with over 200 posts should be allowed to post in the forum.
reddishblue
Wait sorry, do you mean a General Chat forum for experienced members to go to and escape the noobs and have meaningful conversation?
I am actually a great supporter of this, I have had enough of damn noobs who are all like, "Whats your favourite <insert crap here>.
While it may not be the nicest thing, I really love this idea, all power to you Truespeed!
hack_man_
truespeed wrote:
My suggestion is for another general type forum for those people who have posted over 200 times,the reason for this, is to get away from the ("whats your favourite shoe" POLL: left or right ) type threads.

lol, my favourite shoe? Right, of course!

We all see the spammish n00b topics in all the forums. It would be nice if us oldies could get away from all of them who are only here for free hosting and posting "lol" to keep their points up.

Or... Make them do five posts just to register! Then, that gets approved by mods/admins/(possible anti-noob team) and then they are allowed to make their normal posts for points!

That keeps the forums clean of spammers and n00bs as well as the servers. And why not ban them if they make a spam topic within their first 5 posts? To teach them a lesson!
Scorpio
hack_man_ wrote:
truespeed wrote:

We all see the spammish n00b topics in all the forums. It would be nice if us oldies could get away from all of them who are only here for free hosting and posting "lol" to keep their points up.

Or... Make them do five posts just to register! Then, that gets approved by mods/admins/(possible anti-noob team) and then they are allowed to make their normal posts for points!

That keeps the forums clean of spammers and n00bs as well as the servers. And why not ban them if they make a spam topic within their first 5 posts? To teach them a lesson!

Better idea from hack man here.. If all 200+ post people get into some other special forum, who helps the noobs? We were all noobs once, and if nobody was willing to help us, we would have been long gone
hack_man_
Scorpio wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:
truespeed wrote:

Better idea from hack man here.. If all 200+ post people get into some other special forum, who helps the noobs? We were all noobs once, and if nobody was willing to help us, we would have been long gone

Why thank you! It is a very good point, we were all noobs once... and if a system like this was in place back then, we would be outta' here. But a screening process would be helpful. The servers are free of spammers, but there are quite a few in the forums... "do u like the sky? (post 1)" people get annoying...
truespeed
I was thinking of more a VIP area,for those who post here because they want to rather than because they have to.
tidruG
A VIP area (of any kind) would be a little unfair to all users.
If you see any topics that appear to be useless, such as the "Your favourite ..." or "X vs Y" kind of topics, please report them. These are actually not allowed according to the rules of the General Chat forum.
_Jak_
i think its a great idea, to keep noobs out of GOOD discussion. chat gets spammy so if you had an experienced chat forum people could actually get ideas across. Im all for it. Good Luck
garionw
Only 200 posts seems too little, maybe 500-600 plus?
Azmo
I like the idea of a "VIP" part, and I agree that it should be more then 200 posts, it's kinda easy to make 200 posts, but raise that to 500 posts I doubt that people would "spam" just to get able to access the "VIP" part.
reddishblue
Yeah 500 sounds better, very few spammers are still standing by then, whatever still allows me access Laughing
dawn666
Well, I'm a "noob". But (maybe that's why ^^) i don't like the idea of a v.i.p area. You can learn things by meeting/talking with so called "unexperienced" people. Don't you think so ?
reddishblue
dawn666 wrote:
Well, I'm a "noob". But (maybe that's why ^^) i don't like the idea of a v.i.p area. You can learn things by meeting/talking with so called "unexperienced" people. Don't you think so ?

Look I do not want to offend you, and I have been a noob too, but experienced members tend to prefer other experienced members and usually don't talk to new people on the forums, I think its because often noobs have terrible grammer and post five times, get their hosting declined and then never come back.
I am not trying to reject you, but we tend to do this without much thought.
truespeed
500 posts? looks like im being kicked out of my own club. Sad
saratdear
No offense, but I am not in favour of this idea. As scorpio stated before, we were all noobs once. reddishblue, not squashing you or anything, we all had the same chance of having terrible grammar and just posting five times and leaving. Actually there are a lot of noobs who are not stupid, and have a lot of good ideas. I can give a lot of examples.

Hope this was not offending anyone, just my views.
reddishblue
saratdear wrote:
No offense, but I am not in favour of this idea. As scorpio stated before, we were all noobs once. reddishblue, not squashing you or anything, we all had the same chance of having terrible grammar and just posting five times and leaving. Actually there are a lot of noobs who are not stupid, and have a lot of good ideas. I can give a lot of examples.

Hope this was not offending anyone, just my views.

Trust me, I can provide many, many more who have atrocious grammar and are essentially spamming Frihost, I would link to such topics, but I have already reported them and they may have already been deleted or are about to be so it would be of little help, besides, who helped me when I was just a little noob? I don't recall any assistance...

Edit: After looking through my old posts, I can see that I was precisely the noob that I hate now, however I fail to see why I would have cared if there was a forum I couldn't access, I never had an experienced member help me and I very strongly doubt any of you could truthfully say that you ever helped a new member get to a flying start, anyway Frihost was the first forum I ever joined and I wasn't sure what a quality post was.
Noobs will learn by experience, just like we did, we are not their babysitters.
Also I apologize if I have offended anyone at all, although I don't see how I could have.
tidruG
A V.I.P area is something I personally am very much against.

1. It's unfair to the "noobs" to have forums hidden from them.
2. It prevents the new users from having access to good/meaningful threads, thus reducing most of their new posts to the "spammy" topics.
3. New users don't get a chance to showcase their own logic/good posting abilities.

And as far as I can tell, I highly doubt if an idea like a separate VIP lounge will be entertained.
LukeakaDanish
I also TOTALLY think this is a stupid idea...

My main problem:

People with 10 posts post just as "competently" as people with 200 posts.

...think about it...people with a lot of posts could just as well have spammed their way to their post count....
ocalhoun
Another reason not to do this:
In every forum I've seen that has one, the VIP section is stagnant, and rarely gets posted in. Why should you start your new thread in the VIP section, when it would probably fit much better in some other section and get more replies there?
mOrpheuS
In my opinion, a high post count never stopped a person from being a "n00b".

Good solutions should be logical, not empirical.
unknownc1c
ooo i like this idea. The random stupid polls, although sometimes fun, aren't very stimulating when it comes to attempting to post a good worth while reply

Although i don't have 200 posts, i still think it'd be a good idea. Then i'd have more a reason to get to 200 posts... Although I guess this could encourage spamming.... hmm.... well i don't know what you could do about that
Nyizsa
I don't think it would be a good thing. As many others stated, we all were noobs once. We all need a chance to grow out our bad habits. For those who open a thread about favourite {something} vs {something else}, moderators should send a warning that this is not preferred behaivour here. (I think this is done well now.) And let them think about {post for host} vs. {post for a reason that interests/annoys me}. Smile
On the other hand, "speedy ones" should be instantly banned. Like those who open 6 or 8 threads about "What do you think about Vista?" "How about Vista?" "Is Vista really that good?" "Will Vista worth it?" etc. You know what I mean.
truespeed
The main reason against this seems to be is, "its not fair on *noobs* " how is it not fair,they have 56 (yes i was sad enough to count them) forums to post in,why would one forum where they aren't allowed until they have been around long enough to do so, matter?

A lot of these forums lie derelict anyway,i have asked on a few occasions for help on certain things,not only has that help been unforthcoming,when i look at the views the posts get,they only just about get into double figures,for the amount of members this forum has it should be as busy as digitalspy,and help should be there for everyone always,but this isnt the case.

I know its a post for host deal,but there are lots of people on here who post because they want to and not just for the points,maybe a forum (200 club or whatever you want to call it) where they can all get together and chat,would be a good idea.
Animal
Nyizsa wrote:
Like those who open 6 or 8 threads about "What do you think about Vista?" "How about Vista?" "Is Vista really that good?" "Will Vista worth it?" etc. You know what I mean.

Yes, but the problem with the "VIP Section" is that it will become a dumping ground for all kinds of posts. They wouldn't create a VIP computers forum, a VIP marketplace forum etc etc etc, so it would not be good in terms of keeping the place tidy and organised.

However, I'll say with 100% confidence that this will not happen because of the way Frihost operates. To pay for your free hosting accounts, we need to generate ad revenue. Therefore, all the pages on the Frihost forum need to be viewable not only to the members, but to people searching the web randomly. By creating a hidden forum, we would essentially be cutting off any revenue stream that could be generated by good content posted inside.

In terms of the community, it would not provide any real benefit other than making some users feel "special", and from the point of view of Frihost's finances, it's definitely a bad idea. The moderating team generally keep the forums clear of spam, and we make high quality posting a must for all new users so that it is (generally) continued. If you feel that too many "spammy" topics or "worthless" polls are being opened, help us out by reporting them to the staff using the newly-implemented report system. By doing this, you guys can all feel "special" (yes, even the noobs) because you all regularly use the best and cleanest forum on the internet and you get free hosting to boot!
Blaster
mOrpheuS wrote:
In my opinion, a high post count never stopped a person from being a "n00b".

Good solutions should be logical, not empirical.

Yea i agree with this. Like i have to say i agree with tidruG on this one. Then it would lead to more spamming. Plus there are too many people to make it so that they can view it. It would take a long time.
tidruG
I'm going to lock this thread, because I honestly don't think a VIP section is likely to be implemented... at least not any time soon.

But just one thing... I would really like to stress on the importance of reporting topics that you may un-interesting or spammy.

Remember, we generally lock "Your favourite ..." or "A vs B" type of topics, but sometimes we see them after they become somewhat popular.

So if you see such topics, feel free to report them right away so that we can take action faster.

As for this particular thread, like I said... we're not likely to implement a VIP lounge anytime in the near future, so I'll -lock- this thread now.