FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Overheating laptops leads to...?

zanzou
Could a laptop overheating cause it to spontaneously turn off?

>___> Since that's what mine has been doing lately (both turning off, and getting very very hot).
Animal
Yes, this is entirely possible. I'd guess that one or more of your fans may have stopped working - you may want to check this out. If not, perhaps there is some dust or something else blocking an air inlet / outlet?

If none of the above, it may just come down to where you are trying to use the laptop (eg. sitting on top of a duvet or cushion that would cause it to heat up abnormally). Maybe you should look into a laptop cooling tray.
orcaz
I experienced that before for my computer, where it just powers off automatically when the processor hits above 65 degrees Celcius...
soccerplaya2090
Yes its very possible my computer fan broke one time and it would shut off after about 10 minutes. So you may want to check your fan out or buy one of those cooling pads.
That way your computer doesnt get messed up more.
HoboPelican
Animal wrote:
Yes, this is entirely possible. I'd guess that one or more of your fans may have stopped working - you may want to check this out. If not, perhaps there is some dust or something else blocking an air inlet / outlet?

If none of the above, it may just come down to where you are trying to use the laptop (eg. sitting on top of a duvet or cushion that would cause it to heat up abnormally). Maybe you should look into a laptop cooling tray.

All good advice! I currently am working in the break/fix area of my company and spend my glorious days fixing everyone's laptops. Dust in the vents is a major cause of overheating. We had one today that kept shutting down after a few minutes. We put an air hose on the fan (lock it in place first, don't let it spin! It WILL break.) and it worked fine afterwards.
If you don't have an air hose, try canned air. Easy to find in electronic shops, walmarts, and camera shops. Just stick a toothpick or something gently into the fan assembly so that the fan blades can't rotate.

I've also seen the connectors for fans disconnected (fell off or someone left them off) so they never ran at all.

The last item Animal mentions is my biggest issue. I sit with the puter on the arm of a couch and if I am not careful, it is easy to block the lower vent.
kiranaghor
I had a Sony Vaio which used to shut down when it got overheated. I used a software called speedfan to measure the temperature. when it reached 90 degree celcius it woud shut down automatically. Then I gave it for repairs and they put some cooling chemical and repaired the fan. Dust was the enemy. Dust particles block air from going out and it results in rise in the temperature.
psycosquirrel
Overheating is quite common. The previous posters covered everything quite well. It is probably the cause of your problem.

As for damage, the heat will definitely effect the life of your components. While CPUs will thermally throttle down at around 100C, temps that high easily wear down capacitors and can kill your motherboard, hard drive, wireless card, just about anything that the heatsink is near. I have seen melted plastic mounts from excess heat around CPU heatsinks on laptops.
Q5U8
...shutdown. Thermal microcontrollers turns off the computer in order to save the processor and other components of be fried... Cool

If this happens in a controlled temperature room, check that air intakes, fans and thermal paste are OK. Wink