FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WRT54GS Extra-Slow Download Speeds

heady233
I have a Linksys WRT54GS router and a billion things hooked up to it. (see below) The problem is that we have Comcast High-Speed Internet, and I'm only getting a download rate of 15.1 KB/s. All the computers, (except the Gamecube and Pocket PC) have McAfee Security Center installed. I was kinda hoping that somebody might know how to change some settings and get my speed up to it's maximum. Also, the router has been upgraded o its latest firmware version.
ezekiel_rage
heady233 wrote:
I have a Linksys WRT54GS router and a billion things hooked up to it. (see below) The problem is that we have Comcast High-Speed Internet, and I'm only getting a download rate of 15.1 KB/s. All the computers, (except the Gamecube and Pocket PC) have McAfee Security Center installed. I was kinda hoping that somebody might know how to change some settings and get my speed up to it's maximum. Also, the router has been upgraded o its latest firmware version.

As you said you have a lot of devices connected to the router. Could be that your bandwidth is spred too thinly.

Have you tried to disconnect all devices except the PC and then check your bandwidth?

You might get better results.

As i have said there may be too much devices that shares your bandwidth.

If after you have checked your bandwidth with only a single device (the PC) connected and you still have slow/low bandwidth. then the problem may lie on you internet service provider. Becaus in my experience, it always is the ISP 90% of the time.

Hope this helps.
turbosquid
It is possible that if you were using all of your connected devices together then you would be effectively splitting your bandwidth between them, although i would doubt you would be using all the devices at once?

Here are a few things that you could check:-

1> In your router setup you should have a DSL Connection Status page, listed on this page you should have "Downstream Rate" this rate is the rate at which your router is connected to the telephone exchange, this rate should be somewhere near you ISPs advertised connection rate. For example i have 8Mbps ADSL connection my router shows my "Downstream Rate" as 8128Kbps. If my listed "Downstream Rate" was drastically lower than this it would indicate a problem with my phone line. In which case you would need to contact you telecommunications company.

2> If the above checks out OK. then you should try out a program called
'Broad Band Speed Test' from this site:-

http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/

It will test ping times and download speeds from various servers around the world. This should give you a good indication of your actual download speeds,
i would suggest (if possible) running it at different times of the day to get more accurate results.

3> Try temporarily disabling your anti-virus / firewall packages then run the speed test again. I have read in a few forums that Norton can be a obtrusive and sometimes cause the network to seem slow, i cannot confirm this as i do not use Norton, but it may be worth a try.

4> If everything else seems to checkout O.k i would speak to your Broadband/Cable supplier and see if they can help.

Hope you get things sorted.

TurboSquid.
orcaz
If all the suggestions by the others doesn't work, u may try doing a reset on the router. There is a reset button at the back of ur WRT54GS, hold on to it for around 5 secs.