FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best registry cleaner?

jay84h
I was wondering which would be the best registry cleaner that has the best results. I use Registry Mechanic, but is it really that good if not one of the best? I heard of Registry Fix, as well as RegCure, and many others but I do not know how these fair in reguards to best results?
badai
i use tweaknow. but definitely NOT the best. i had problems where windows cannot start, some error message pop up and some application cannot run after i clean my registry with it. it has the safe to delete item, not safe to delete item and unknown, i only delete those safe to delete and still have problems. but not all the time. most of the time it does make thing better. i guess most probably because the system are too screwed up when i got the problem.
tony
back in the days i used windows, i would use hijackthis. its free for download and easy to use.
David_Pardy
HijackThis doesn't scan your registry and delete redundant/faulty/invalid entries.

It only scans for possible security hijacks and stuff.

I'm also looking for a good registry cleaner.

We use Norton Systemworks at work, but I'm looking for a non-commercial one.
Whong
jay84h wrote:
I was wondering which would be the best registry cleaner that has the best results. I use Registry Mechanic, but is it really that good if not one of the best? I heard of Registry Fix, as well as RegCure, and many others but I do not know how these fair in reguards to best results?

I would say that Registry Mechanic is very good! Very Happy
jay84h
Registry Mechanic sucks! I used it last night to clean out registry and it found something like 350 entries, so I deleted them. Once I restarted, right after the Windows XP splash screen it would just stay on a black screen. It would go to a black screen 2 consecutive times and on the 3rd time it would actually load Windows, then restarting again would results in 2 times going to a black screen, then Windows would load fine on 3rd load over and over. I had to reformat it fix it up. I learned that I was pretty stupid on even using a Registry Cleaner, if you are smart, avoid them! Apparently Registry Mechanic also searches out DLL's, so it may have gotten rid of a file that was required by Windows. I learned my lesson to never use Registry keys. What is the point of them anyways, to only free up a few kilobytes of space. They do not really speed up a computer at all, it's all in your head.
David_Pardy
Hah.

I've used Systemworks on DOZENS of computers and it HAS made a difference.

The biggest issue here is that Registry Mechanic is obviously one of those irreputable free registry cleaners that should probably be avoided because it is reckless in the way it works.
jay84h
I agree entirely. There are Registry Cleaners than are absolutely reckless, in which others are good IF you manually check everything and not let it delete everything it finds. Nontheless, it wouldn't really make a difference in todays computers, Dual Core, Dual Channel RAM, etc.
David_Pardy
Prepare to be surprised Smile.
ThePolemistis
regHealer in my view.... simple and does whats requireed
jay84h
David_Pardy wrote:
Prepare to be surprised Smile.

Ain't gunna happen Smile
linexpert
you might wana give some of these a try http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#26
DeFwh
The two best that Ive used are:

Abexo Free Registry Cleaner
CNET DOWNLOAD.com Page

CCleaner

View Site

Both are very easy to use and extremely fast at what they do. I am using CCleaner (formely known as Crap Cleaner) now which also cleans out temporary/junk files. Ever since I've used both I've had less errors and my programs are quicker to start when accessing them.

I would also recommend getting TweakXP or Advanced System Optimizer both work at tuning XP to perfection giving you control over all of XP.
Q5U8
CCleaner is a great system cleaner, but if you wan to have more control and deep cleansing, go with Easy Cleaner. Very Happy

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/
jmwarshay
I use WinDoctor from Norton System Works 2003, Ccleaner and EasyCleaner. They all seem to "clean" differently. WinDoctor finds problems that it cannot fix (and so I set them to be ignored), and that is documented in various places on the web. The other two are free.

I have never had any negative issues caused by them. I also use Registry Mechanic, but am not sure whether I will renew its subscription. It is a descendant of PCTools, one of the first utility packages.
cheeta
Best Would keep Spybot Search n Destroy inbstalled to protect the registry hacks Razz

and use CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
Q5U8
cheeta wrote:
Best Would keep Spybot Search n Destroy inbstalled to protect the registry hacks Razz

and use CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

Maybe you refer to Spybot Teatime, that is a independent software bundled with Spybot. Wink

Oh, I remember old Central Point Software PC Tools, a must to have in these days of the olde MS-DOS... Cool
srujanlive
Cccleaner is the bes registry cleaner that i have used. Much like windows washer it also deletes unnecesary tmp files.
icedrakon
My personal favorite is registry first aid
iNs@nE
Hijack this.. was a good tool is a good tool..

Manual if you a pro...you'll get a wide variety to opt out of but is time consuming..
whitedragon551
The only one of those that actually works on Vista is the Registry Mechanic that I have found. Its what I have used on my laptop since I have had it and I have never had any problems.
bulek
My favorite program for cleaning registry files is TuneUp Utilities 2007. I use this tool for almost a year and it haven't disappointed me yet. My computer really works fast with this great program. However, I also use ccleaner from time to time to check if there is any registry file that TuneUp Utilities 2007 has missed Wink
Chris24
I use ccleaner and Regcleaner, have had great results using the both of them. I would run cclenaer first then run regcleaner. I haven't had one problem as of yet in over 2 years with this combo.

And yes it does make a difference in the way your system runs....
carlospro7
I have use Registry Repair Wizard for months now, and I guess it does the job just fine. I've never used Registry Mechanic, although I keep hearing good things about it.
Whong
carlospro7 wrote:
I have use Registry Repair Wizard for months now, and I guess it does the job just fine. I've never used Registry Mechanic, although I keep hearing good things about it.

Well I guess they both are quite great.
dude_xyx
I use CCleaner too im not sure it does the Registry cleaning or not but it does a good job as cleaning temp files and stuff nice tool for heavy photoshop users.
Da Rossa
Registry cleaning is something I'm proud to say that the best one is brazilian: MV Regclean.

www.velasco.com.br <-- free.

If you don't speak Portuguese, here is an almost-direct link:

http://www.velasco.com.br/action/software.php?name=MV313
JayBee
just delete
Code:
c:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\ntuser.dat
and it will clean all your registers
You need only explorer to do that Very Happy

Please, don't do that. Wink
THE11thROCK™
Try Ontrack Fix-it Utilities, PC Pitstop Optimizer, Regcleaner, CCleaner and manual Registry editting (If you know how). I use these most of the times.
Chris24
Just got a new program called ncleaner, man this thing works great...Just be carefule with what you do....Here is the link to the site...http://www.nkprods.com/ncleaner/

Oh and did I mention it is free???
rafifaisal
I use Regclean which is free and very good. But as I think is that there are a lot of good registry cleaner.
imagefree
i think you should try TuneUp utilities.
Its the best software so far i have seen. You will to like it. Very Happy
Talk2Tom11
CCleaner!!!!!!!!!!
bulek
I use a combination of TuneUp Utilities 2007 and Ccleaner. They are both very good programs, but ccleaner usually deletes a little bit more registry files and yet, everything works fine on my computer Smile
bukaida
Both registry mechanic and System mechanic pro are decent registry cleaners.
lucianobosco
Try TuneUp or RegSupreme Pro.
TuneUp: easy to use and effective.
RegSupreme: more effective. You can modify and clean all registries even most importants but you must be careful: a simple mistake can be a very BIG problem.
nivexuck
Tune Up utilities still the best.
it is not only contain registry cleaner but have many utilities which make your computer go faster and stable.
kiranaghor
i use clceaner. it is very good. give it a try. it is not just registry cleaner it cleans other junk also.