FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tremulous - opensource game

Ecthelion
Tremulous is currently one of my favorite games.

It's an open-source game (and thus 100% free).

Game:
Well it's of the kind of alien vs humans...
Both start with a base, and you can start as human with a rifle / construction kit or as alien with a dretch (small spider) or granger (builder).

The goal of the game is to make sure the other specie has no survivors nor spawns (which are used to reenter the game when death).

Humans gain money when killing aliens, and can use that money to buy equipment. Aliens gain evolutions when killing humans.

Some equipment an human can buy:
Rifle, painsaw, light armor, shotgun, lasgun, chaingun, pulserifle, flamethrower, lucifer cannon, batterie pack, jetpack, helmet, heavy armor.

Aliens can evolve to this:
Granger, advanced granger, dretch, basilisk, marauder, dragoon, advanced basilisk, advanced marauder, advanced dragoon, tyrant

The human constructions are:
Telenode, turret, medistation, armory, reactor, defence computer, tesla, repeater

Alien constructions:
Egg, acid tube, booster, trapper, overmind, hive, ...

The game is already very nice, and there are new evolutions, equipment etc that are developed.

I surely advice this game to anyone!
(I play it under Ubuntu (Linux) but I have friends who play in windows, mac, ...)

There are lots of strategys, but there are better forums to explain these Smile

You can download tremulous here: www.tremulous.net
Loghete
Played it for about a year, and it's pretty good. But I'm sick of waiting for v1.2!
Anyway, I play it on Windows, but I tried running it on Ubuntu. But when I tried, the screen just flashed black once and then it returned to the desktop.
Ecthelion
If you still want to try to play it on ubuntu I would gladly help to solve the problem... I'm member of one of the ubuntu support team (hum..Absolute beginner team on the Ubuntuforums ) so I daresay I might find out what's wrong. Smile
Senshida
Sounds interesting. Is it a MMO game or Offline game? (sounds like a lot of fun!)
Loghete
Senshida wrote:
Sounds interesting. Is it a MMO game or Offline game? (sounds like a lot of fun!)

It's MMO...
Vladalf
I played it a little this morning.
It's awesome! I love the evolution sistem and the posibility to build things. I can't wait to play it again.
soulman
the graphic seems awesome, thanks, I'll download and try it~
Petee
I haven't actually played the game, but the screenshots look quite nice. Open source and free are always cool for a game, so I'm going to check it out on my Linux machines!
Osmodius
I personally would be super annoyed watching explosion effects like this:

Reminds me of Duke Nukem 3D.
PseudoKnight
I'm sure I'm not alone when I think of Natural-Selection after seeing those screenshots and reading the description. Seems it's inspired by Gloom, where NS got a tiny bit of inspiration too.

I'll definetly give it a look.
PseudoKnight
Quote:
It's MMO...
This is not an MMO.
Loghete
PseudoKnight wrote:
Quote:
It's MMO...
This is not an MMO.

Whatever... well the guy asked if it's MMO or offline and it's definitely not offline xD
LostOverThere
One of the things I dont like in Tremulous are the levels are to Dark, anyone else find that? Though its good being an Alien because its harder for others to see you I guess.
Ecthelion
LostOverThere wrote:
One of the things I dont like in Tremulous are the levels are to Dark, anyone else find that? Though its good being an Alien because its harder for others to see you I guess.

In the option menu you can change the darkness of the screen...

One of the things I like so much about Tremulous is that it is opensource:
This means that you can change anything
(like for example, the number of fps, assign special commands to key, ...)

The things that are really usfull are the things you can assign to any key you want:
For example, I have keys to change my name, keys to buy evolutions/weapons, keys to start filming what I see, keys to take screenshots, keys to say some specific things, keys to use as admin, ...

At the end I had so many keybinds that I started to make keys to change the keybinds set. For example, my numeric keyboard has 3 sets, one that I activate as human, one that I activate as alien, and one for general things...
So in the alien set, '1' says "OverMind down" in the human set is says "Reactor own" and in the general set "Good Job" is assigned to '1'

Never found a game with so much freedom in executing commands, changing keys etc etc...
guugu
i must say that i didn't like this game. So unbalanced Surprised
Ecthelion
guugu wrote:
i must say that i didn't like this game. So unbalanced Surprised

Well it's a fact that when you play for the first time, you are kinda "thrown" into the game...
And if you just choosed a server with good players... well you get eaten.

Reading the manual helps, although I don't think a lot of players read it...
Loghete
Start with being Human, it's easier at the start. It takes a little time to get into Aliens. For me it took hours of playing before I got my first kill as alien..
neroyert
Dude this game looks awesome, it's like Duke Nukem with a kind of RTS(ish) spin, and better graphics than the original. I haven't messed with the code yet, might try some later.
woodenbrick
Found this while looking for some free game me and my brother could play online against each other and its great! Definitely took a while to learn how to use the aliens without constantly dying but now i'm racking up quite a few kills with the dretch (weakest alien).
Ecthelion
Yes it's really a great game.

And really, once you get good at aliens, they rule.

Calling a dretch the weakest alien is making an error: with its deathly bites it gets anyone down in a few seconds. That is, if you know how to bite...
Because if you bite legs, well you can bite like 8 times before killing anyone.
But biting the head of an human without helmet takes 95% of his health in a single bite.

Of course, they are toast against flamethrowers and once the humans have helmets or battlesuits then they get killed easely.

Still really worth a lot in experienced hands.

Usually skills in dretch is what makes you win or lose the game.(as alien)
Because, if you are good with dretches, you will evoluate very fast, and then humans, without armor, don't stand a chance....
woodenbrick
Yep usually I stay as a dretch until I have 3 evos, then upgrade to the dragoon. I haven't quite perfected the headshot yet but in a 1 on 1 against an unhelmeted human I come out on top more often than not.
woodenbrick
A question: How do you bind to the numeric keypad? I can only get it working on the other number keys.
Ecthelion
Hi,

Well I'll just give you my keypad bindings.
I guess you can figure them out...

Quote:
// Human specific word bind set
set human "bind KP_END "say_team Reactor down!";bind KP_DOWNARROW "say_team Armory plz";bind KP_PGDN "say_team Medistation plz";bind KP_LEFTARROW "say_team Someone need credits?";bind KP_5 "say_team Is share on?";bind KP_RIGHTARROW "say_team Can someone give me some credits plz";bind KP_HOME "say_team Here you go!";bind KP_UPARROW "say_team Too bad";bind KP_PGUP "say_team Thank you.";bind KP_PLUS vstr human;bind KP_MINUS vstr alien; bind KP_ENTER vstr general;vstr weaponX;"

// Alien specific word bind set
set alien "bind KP_END "say_team Overmind down!";bind KP_DOWNARROW "say_team Need builder";bind KP_PGDN "say_team Booster plz";bind KP_LEFTARROW "say_team Someone need evos?";bind KP_5 "say_team Is share on?";bind KP_RIGHTARROW "say_team Can someone give me some evos plz";bind KP_HOME "say_team Here you go!";bind KP_UPARROW "say_team Too bad";bind KP_PGUP "say_team Thank you.";bind KP_PLUS vstr human;bind KP_MINUS vstr alien; bind KP_ENTER vstr general;vstr evos;vstr souris1"

// Mixed word bind set
set general "bind KP_END "say Good Job!";bind KP_DOWNARROW "say_team Good Job";bind KP_PGDN "say Finally death! Your a though one!";bind KP_LEFTARROW "say_team Defend Base!";bind KP_5 "say_team I need backup!";bind KP_RIGHTARROW "say_team Attack!!";bind KP_HOME "say Hey!";bind KP_UPARROW "say Salut les ^2|FSN|]";bind KP_PGUP "say Cya!";bind KP_PLUS vstr human;bind KP_MINUS vstr alien; bind KP_ENTER vstr general;vstr weaponX;"

You see, for the keypad you need to use KP_END etc...

Also you can see that I have 3 sets of keybinds assigned to the keypad.
I can choose which set is active using these:

Quote:
// Set binds
bind KP_PLUS vstr human;
bind KP_MINUS vstr alien;
bind KP_ENTER vstr general;

Basically, pushing KP_PLUS will activate the human word set (set human "bind KP_END "say_team Reactor down!";bind KP_DOWNARROW "sa....)
And - and enter each activate another set...

This is quite easy when you have as many kebinds as I have.
But you need to get used to know which set you are in, of course...

Oh, nevermind the "vstr weaponX;" etc at the end of the keybinds. Those activate a lot of other keys which allow me to build fast, evolve fast etc...
Since evolving (or buying) and building are different for aliens / humans I have other sets for them...
woodenbrick
Ok thanks for those Ecthelion, I have them working now Very Happy
exarkun
well the screenshots makes the game look promising. Think I'll be grabbing it soon enough. Alien vs human.. looks like there is no storyline for that but I'll support just for the fact that it is open source! =p
Magicman
I've tried playing this game. Its really hard to get into especially because I started in the middle of the game and everyone was running around and I had no idea exactly where I was trying to get to. I suppose if I tried playing this a little more I would get used to what seemed like chaos to me.
Ecthelion
Yes well that's true.

The first time you play you have no idea what where who. Except if you read the manual of course.

But while it's true some small tutorial would be cool, once you get the hang of it it's pretty straithforward.

Just read the manual first. That's why they make these kind of things Wink
vaoger
it sure look nice...
hopefully it can play tru lan...
Ecthelion
Yes it can play trough lan just fine.
Yjaxygames
I've tried this game and the concept is good but I don't really like it. For a shooter I find it a bad game. But I can imagine why people like it, but not why they play it so much. And the level design sucks.
Ecthelion
They are working on it...

By the way, everyone can design levels...
I've some friends who make their own maps etc.
That's also cool...
Yjaxygames
Ecthelion wrote:
They are working on it...

By the way, everyone can design levels...
I've some friends who make their own maps etc.
That's also cool...

Wouldn't you need some knowledge making maps? Not everyone can make maps...
Ecthelion
Let's put it that way: if you are willing to learn how, then you can learn to make maps.

When I say you can make maps yourself, then I mean there is a program that helps you to build one yourself. Of course you have to do a tutorial or follow a guide first to know how to work with that program.
(You can't use a photo-editing program if you don't know how, too.)

Basically: if you want to make a map, and you are motivated, then you can make one.
Yjaxygames
Ecthelion wrote:
Let's put it that way: if you are willing to learn how, then you can learn to make maps.

When I say you can make maps yourself, then I mean there is a program that helps you to build one yourself. Of course you have to do a tutorial or follow a guide first to know how to work with that program.
(You can't use a photo-editing program if you don't know how, too.)

Basically: if you want to make a map, and you are motivated, then you can make one.

Ok, but doesn't the creator of the game has to make maps the players will like?Because I don't think everyone that wants better maps is willing to make own maps...
Ecthelion
Quote:
Ok, but doesn't the creator of the game has to make maps the players will like?Because I don't think everyone that wants better maps is willing to make own maps...

First of all, I'm very Very VERY certain that you haven't seen all the maps the game has to offer.
http://tremulous.bricosoft.com/base/
All the *.pk3 files there are maps.
And if that's not enough for you, search a bit and you'll find lots and lots more of maps.

Second, don't forget that this is an open-source game. This game is developped by everyone who wants to help. So if a player makes a map, you can say that he is also a kind of creator for the game...

One of the reasons why you certainly haven't seen all maps is because most servers only give the default maps. If you want to have more fun and play on more maps, you better join a team who owns a server.
Then you make friends, and playing in team is one of the strongest things of the game. Running around covering each other (usually while using some internet speach technologie to hear eachother in realtime) is really cool, and if you are with someone else who's good, it can become quite a slaughter. Which is also fun.
Yjaxygames
Ecthelion wrote:
Quote:

First of all, I'm very Very VERY certain that you haven't seen all the maps the game has to offer.
http://tremulous.bricosoft.com/base/
All the *.pk3 files there are maps.
And if that's not enough for you, search a bit and you'll find lots and lots more of maps.

Second, don't forget that this is an open-source game. This game is developped by everyone who wants to help. So if a player makes a map, you can say that he is also a kind of creator for the game...

One of the reasons why you certainly haven't seen all maps is because most servers only give the default maps. If you want to have more fun and play on more maps, you better join a team who owns a server.
Then you make friends, and playing in team is one of the strongest things of the game. Running around covering each other (usually while using some internet speach technologie to hear eachother in realtime) is really cool, and if you are with someone else who's good, it can become quite a slaughter. Which is also fun.

And I am very VERY convinced that nobody wants to see a boring lists with all maps that don't say anything...I have played quite a few maps but I don´t like them all I like maps with open space like in Battlefield more, and I haven't seen those.
woodenbrick
Big open spaces on maps only work if both sides have long range weapons, such a map would put the aliens at a huge disadvantage as there would be no way for them to sneak up.
Yjaxygames
You could make obstacles like rocks for the aliens to lie behind and then when a human passes by the aliens attack.
Loghete
Yjaxygames wrote:
I have played quite a few maps but I don´t like them all I like maps with open space like in Battlefield more, and I haven't seen those.

Well, Tremulous isn't really made for large open maps.. If you don't like it that way, you don't have to play the game Razz

One map with some larger open areas is Ancient Remains
The DASPRiD guy who made the map is also one of the developers of Tremulous, btw.
Yjaxygames
And I have the feeling that it's hard to hit those small aliens...And when I am a small alien I die because I get hit. I just suck at this game, and I played it pretty often.
Ecthelion
If it's too easy it's not worth playing ^^
But there are a lot of small tricks that helps you to become better. I would say, join a team, if it's a good one they can help you. A lot.

Some usual tricks:
With small aliens, jump. And I mean jump alot. This will make you way harder to hit.
Even better is to jump from wall to wall. Wallwalk and jump to the ther side, jump on the ground jump from down to below, jump in evrey possible direction. As long as you head to the human. Running left-right also helps a lot. Dont run in straight lines, you don't have a chance.
With aliens like goon and tyrant, there are other tricks.
With a goon you have a second attack that makes you jump far. Using this attack you can damage any human alot. But wich is better is to use this attack, and at the moment you hit the human, also use the other attck, while moving your mouse an angle of 45-90° This will make the hit way way way more deadly.
Oh and bite the head, of course...

And to hit small aliens... Well practise. Never shoot all your bullet in a single time: once you have to recharge your dead. Also very important is learning to avoid being bitten. always move.
When there are aliens running behiond you, take your corners a thight as possible.
Otherwise take them long to avoid an ambush.

Really, there are loads of tricks which will help, but you need to practise to control them...
Loghete
I sometimes use the following tactic to take out single, small aliens, which works in 95% of the cases.
I buy a chaingun, find a dretch or something, and then I just crouch and then just shoot shoot while aiming at the alien. If it tries to attack it comes into my deadly fire and it dies.

A little noobish, I know, but it works.
Yjaxygames
Loghete wrote:

A little noobish, I know, but it works.

And that's what it's all about.
zellfaze
Tremulous is addicting. Anyone know if windows user can play against Linux users?
Ecthelion
Sure, I do it all the time (I'm on linux)

There's a windows and a linux client and it all connects to the same servers, so there's no problem at all there.

Something that's used a lot by tremulous plaers is TS (=TeamSpeak), a program with wich you can talk with each other over the internet. It's server-based and doesn't suck a lot of your connection.
zellfaze
Ya I know team speak. We used it when we played HG2 on SKK. Cool its nice to know i'll be able to play against my friends who haven't switched to Linux yet. Very Happy
woodenbrick
Hey I was just wondering, what servers do you guys usually play on. Usually i'm on SatGNU (for some reason it is a blank name in the games list). I had a look at their website http://schattenschreiber.org/satgnu/ and they keep all sorts of interesting stats on you, I have an impressive 359 dretch bites and am the 29th worst feeder (oopsie!)
Vladalf
I allways play on Dretch Storm. Very good server with friendly community.
Sometimes I play on that server... Beer Garden or something but rarely.
zellfaze
I play on any server that will let me and only has a few players. I don't like big servers.
LostOverThere
zellfaze wrote:
I play on any server that will let me and only has a few players. I don't like big servers.

I play on KiwiArena 0 and 1. KiwiArena 1 is just normal Tremulous, while KiwiArena 0 has the Domination Mod (Which adds so much more depth to the game).

Strangely enough, 50% of all the players on KiwiArena are also females.
Loghete
SST... I like it there, so much Build Points, and mostly friendly people. Can get a little laggy in the bases with 50 players and all build points used, though.
But when I play it's commonly 10-20 people playing.
zellfaze
What does the Domination mod do? Also where can I get ahold of mods for use on my own server?
killer911pt
ive played this

ist it that crazy game were some noob alays runs to the like boom town gun and slaghters everyone!!
Ecthelion
I play on the FSN server - that's the server of my team -

Very cool about having a team server is that you can customise it a lot.

Also my team is quite fond of trickjumps and striving. Noobs call us cheaters when they see us do it, but it really is execrise...

We have specially designed maps just to practise moving... With a dretch for exemple, when you practise it, you can learn to run straight with a speed way over normal and jump very fast.
Personally I still suck at it, but some mebers of my team control it quite well, and it's very impressive when you run as fast as you can and get easely passed by others...
It's about jumping and give little moves with your mouse... Not easy.

Also a move called the circle and the trick to jump higher...

The circle is very good for making a high and far jump on a flat surface. It's about jumping while moving sideways and then do a 45° move...

Other (easy) trick is to jump higher when NOT on a flat surface... Meaning a slope... Then you can use wallwalk, and you'll notice that you'll jump a lot higher. Very good to surprise a human on top of the slope... 'cause if you use this jump, you'll get right at his head, a second bite in his legs and he's down.
Loghete
I'm running a server on 85.134.116.218 called Cheese Media Tremulous Server, be sure to visit it sometime Very Happy