FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do u like classical music ?

giaitripro
Classical music is very cool and good for knownlege development. Do u think it ?

I very like Classical music. how about you ?
mikeINaust
Classical is great for 'drivetime' when your stuck i traffic.

Very relaxing.

Road rage doesn't seem to matter when your lost amongst the symphony.
fsal54
I do listen classical music especially before I go for sleep.This just makes me feel relax .My fav part is Relaxation Music... really cool...
achene
I listen to classical music once in a while.

I really like some of it, especially music from the Baroque like Bach and such.

Although I do not listen to it everyday i find it really relaxing and emotional.

- Achene
Helios
Yes, I just "discovered" this music Smile
So far I liked Hector Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique, Mozart - Requiem, Gustave Holst - The Plantes, Vivaldi - the 4 seasons (or whatever they call it), and some random Bach masterpieces.
king_of_nothing
well.. I don't listen to pure classical music, but I listen swedish band called Therion.. They are mix of metal & classic music. Their lyrics mostly are about mythologies, pagan gods, old religions, and stuff like that... I reccomend them to anyone who likes classic... especially album "vovin"
froginabox
Therion is amazing.

If you like them, try an artist named Elis, she's pretty good too.

As for classical music? When I'm relaxing or studying, all the time!
desertwind
Classical music is very relaxing. Good while going to sleep or doing yoga.
Helios
And if you like Therion, you might also like Haggard Smile
Tuxy
Except for the classical music they put in WOII movies and computergames I do not realy like the music becuase its way too boring.
Kelcey
I love classical music. It's a good get away from the mainstream music today.
soulman
Oh I love classic music, especially orchestra
romaop
I like most of the classical music. It can be calm, complex, harmonic, melodic, orchestrated, virtuoso shaped, choir voiced, and so on. The performers can be brilliant because they take a long time to study and feel the music. This is not a rapid consumption music.
I also like when other types of music (jazz for instance) have classical influences.
One example: Nigel Kennedy blue note sessions (http://www.kennedyjazz.com/).
Ennex
im usually into alot of heavy music,
metal and hardcore and the such
but i really do enjoy good quality music of any genre
and i do like listening to classical music
peaceninja
i like classical music, its used in a lot of cartoons (i suppose the animators were too lazy to write their own music content??). and whats best about classical music is that there is no copyright on the older content. the modern classical music, i am not a huge fan of but there is some good ones out there every once in a while. i like it when classical music can be twisted so that it sounds more modern by using modern musical instruments.
Bluedoll
I like all kinds of mucic including country, rock and 50's. I don't really listen to classical music in my spare time or while on line. I do find though if i am in my studies I will put classical music on and let it play in the background.

There is something about it in the background that seems to melt into my subconcensus and yes does something that allows me to concentrate and open my mind. I really like it for that.

Also when I do have the opportunity to go to any concerts the feeling that classical music conveys stimulates me somehow and its wonderful.
spinout
every style has some onehit wonders, classical also
SimonWSTS
I enjoy playing classical music amongst many other styles. I couldnt have it as the only genre i listened to but I do very much respect clasical composers and very much enjoy their music.
iNs@nE
Somewhat..but not really into it,..DO listen to classical when the mood flows along but not on a general basis..
jasmine
I like classical music. Orchestra and piano. Though I don't have much of a collection to discern each but I love listening to them when I get the chance. XD
crimson_aria
I also like classical music. It's very relaxing. And it also helps me when I'm studying. I listen to it during review nights.
skmd
Hw can u people lsn to this ? when i hear it i remmember my grandfather in his taxi Razz
music should hv a fast beam , this is my opinion , i donno Confused
Helios
skmd, well, if you don`t like it, that OK too.
I personally find this music interesting and complicated.
When I listen to music (whatever genre), I go deeper than just hearing the beats. If there isn`t anything under the surface, I mark the artist X as not interesting, and move on.
Sure, dancing music like trance or similar is nice, but it isn`t the music you can "dive" into. In my opinion, at least.
MeddlingMonk
Ah... classical music. I enjoy listening to classical music, though I understand it's not for everyone.

Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky and Vivaldi are probably the composers I listen to the most, with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture, Beethoven's 5th Symphony and Camille Saint-Saens' Bacchenale being my favourite pieces. I like the sound of an orchestra, especially when you can distinguish each instrument yet also perceive the whole.
hicham_the_webmaster
I'm MAD OF ALL KIND OF MUSIC.

Although I listen now to House/Trance/Techno, but I like classical music.

Especially, Mozart's, Vivaldi's, beethoven's, Paganini's and Tchaikovskie's. It's another World, yeah of course listening to it may seem boring to some, but for me I can listen it (or play it may be it's the reason) all the day.

To sump up, everyone's ability !
Smile
pudovkin
Classical music is "da rootz, man"! Wink
mialynavahy
it depends on my mood, it s relaxing : very nice with a buble bath or a massage
VG Wyvern
I wish classical music was more popular. I love orchestrated works, and classical music. Infact, it's one of the only genres I can tolerate. Classical music is true music in my opinion. Music is an art. All arts protray emotion. Classical music does just that. Especially if you listen to the stuff from the Romantique Period like Chopin.

A lot of people don't like classical music because they don't understand it. Lots of people who like classical music don't like pop music because it's too predictable. There's nothing unexpected. Just cord changes and very predictable patterns.
I find it especially annoying when people call it boring.
Like this.

Tuxy wrote:
I do not realy like the music becuase its way too boring.

Sure, I know it's just an opinion, but if people just took the time to understand it - to discover it - they would feel much differently. Though, maybe not.
Maybe it's just one of those things like math. Lot's of people hate it when they see it as pointless and can't understand it whereas the people who do like it undersand it and can see it's purpose.

(On a related note, people who understand classical music usually have a better understanding of math. Wink)
Helios
VG Wyvern, I completely agree with you!
About the math thing too Smile
ohmygod
classical music is interesting.I love listening it in my free time Very Happy
Obake
I treat classical music pretty much as I treat other forms of music--I love some of it to pieces and wouldn't bend my ear to others a second time around. I have to say I'm not much of a fan of Mozart, and I have to be in the right mood for Chopin, but I do like me some Bach, Tchaikovsky, and Strauss. Beethoven's not bad either, though I've heard less of him.

I particularly like Tchaikovsky, for a couple of reasons. One kind of has to do with me waving my little rainbow flag in (probably misguided) solidarity, same as for Oscar Wilde (even if I think he was a bit of a tool). The other has to do with the fact that he wrote a lot of ballet music--my mother was a ballerina before she married Dad, so that's the music I grew up with: music with plot and climax, music you can really dance to. I probably like Strauss for similar reasons; he's famous for his waltzes, after all.

What about contemporary classical music, though? The main way we hear it now would be from certain movie soundtracks, or, as someone up above me mentioned, computer games. Anime often contains classical motifs too. Does anyone have a favourite composer who's working now?

I'm not so sure about the maths thing, though. I had a relatively classical-saturated childhood, and I played flute in the school band and so on, so I well and truly understand the music--but the minute I hit Year 11 Maths I was struggling to even pass (mind you, I had them all fooled up to that point). Meanwhile, some of the kids who were top of the class wouldn't know a piece of classical music if it bit them on the bum.
roboguyspacedude
I only listen to classical music because I play a classical instrument, the viola. Otherwise I probably would listen to music as much if at all.
markolino
no
i like ROCK
fusion
Metal

and more
bassman
Classical music kicks ass. It's beautiful in the way that architecture is beautiful. My favorites are Mahler symphonies, anything by Beethoven, Ives, etc. But not Mozart. Most Mozart is boring (there are some exceptions--one of which is the Requiem).
VG Wyvern
Obake wrote:
Does anyone have a favourite composer who's working now?
He's not my favorite but I really like Debussy. Cool

About the math thing, I find classical music does affect my math. I study best while listening to Bach's fugues. It gets me in a real concentrating mode. Oddly enough, my math skill dropped when I tried to "understand" jazz. Confused

Even the best math kid in the school (who actually substitutes for the math teacher when he's gone) listens to classical music.

Lastly, we have around 60 music students. Around 40 of them are in advanced math.
azbuky
I love classical music! It suites everytime and I believe it's the most real type of music, because it can express different feelings without words, using only sounds, which is great!
thealpha
i like to listen to classical music during my free time, too. it really makes me feel relax but sometimes it also makes me feel excited and energetic, especially when i am listening to symphonies or other orchestral pieces.

i am glad that there are many people here also enjoy classical music!
JrMac21
Classical Music is really relaxing and i have also found it to be intriguing..
With all the different movements and developments going on, just takes you to a far away place of relaxation.

I like those that have a way of giving you goosebumps. Like Mozart's Requiem, and Requiem- Lacrimosa and Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D'minor! Feels like you're in the middle of a big horror movie.

Then there is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata...
There are other great composers but these three stand out....
GuitarEssentials
I love listening to Classical music. I love my Neoclassical style Metal too...so thats probably where I get my like of it from.

I like to incoporate Classical style stuff into my playing but add my own unique element to it too...it's so relaxing too. Very Happy
AVA182
I don't hate classical, but I don't ever listen to it. I'm more into Rock, Punk and Emo stuff.
sanalskumar
giaitripro wrote:
Classical music is very cool and good for knownlege development. Do u think it ?

I very like Classical music. how about you ?

I like classical and semi classical songs...
mattchun
I consider classical music is interesting to those who can really play some instruments.
sanalskumar
Well I like classical music and I do sing a little!!
icantthink
I listen to almost everything, so that includes classical music. To me there's only 2 kinds of music: good music and bad music. What I listen to at the moment depends on my mood.

Obake wrote:
I'm not so sure about the maths thing, though. I had a relatively classical-saturated childhood, and I played flute in the school band and so on, so I well and truly understand the music--but the minute I hit Year 11 Maths I was struggling to even pass (mind you, I had them all fooled up to that point).

Agreed. I was brought up in classical music and I listened to Bach and Mozart all the time but I barely passed Math exams lol. (I even got an astonishing 10 out of 100 in grade 8! Laughing )
Captain Fertile
I love many pieces of classical music although I can’t claim to know the names or composers of the pieces. This is quite sad because I really would love to find out more about the pieces I like.

I am afraid my classical knowledge grew from very lowly (or unpretentious) roots, I usually hear them on TV adverts and then try to fine the complete piece.

Classical can be as sweet as any ballad and as rousing as any rock – it is amazing.
Insanity
I'm not a big fan of classical music per se, but I do enjoy some of the solo piano work by artists like David Nevue and George Winston... I'm not sure if their work classifies as classical, but it's sort of similar in many regards.
sanalskumar
Semi classical romantic songs are my favourite.
ChrisCh
Classical music is great - it's actually nice and calming to listen to...

... unlike heavy metal Razz
Vanilla
I'm a big fan of Tchaikovsky music. Love all the madness and beauty in his songs. Bach, Vivaldi, Lizst are good too.
sanalskumar
Vanilla wrote:
I'm a big fan of Tchaikovsky music. Love all the madness and beauty in his songs. Bach, Vivaldi, Lizst are good too.

Great !! Great !! Razz
sanalskumar
Anybody here knows how to handle CHENDA ?? Question
Obake
Vanilla wrote:
...Lizst...

?

This is the only name on your list I don't recognise, and I enjoy music by all the other composers you've listed. Tell me more?
HDirtwater
Obake wrote:
Vanilla wrote:
...Lizst...

?

This is the only name on your list I don't recognise, and I enjoy music by all the other composers you've listed. Tell me more?

Franz Lizst - Hungarian composer of the Romantic period who wrote mostly piano music, but also a few orchestral works. His two most well-known pieces are Les Preludes and the Piano Concerto. He was a close friend to Richard Wagner and was greatly influenced by Wagner's music. He also was not a close friend to Brahms. He criticized Brahms a lot while kissing up to Wagner. Funny how history shows Brahms as a great composer, but he was picked on by many of his time.
Obake
HDirtwater--thanks for the speedy and informative reply--it sounds like Lizst is someone whose music I should start looking for!
sanalskumar
After a little tired of hard works, its really nice to have some nice music. More interesting if its a nice piece of classical stuff.
In fact, I do have a considerably big collection of indian classical music, especially gasals and Karnatic music. I am a great fan of Sree K. J. Yesudas. His karnatic music is really enjoyable. Once if you experience it, I am sure that you will surely be agreed with me. I will also be interested if considering western melodies.... They are nice at leasure time. In our language, there is a saying that 'Music is the language of the Gods'. I really agree with it.
aprivateaccount
oh yeah, i like bach alot, one of the greatest composer of all.
I also like horowitz and tchaiskovsky.

anyone here listen to classical jazz or opera?
I love sumi jo.
emjawa
I love it! Since I play several instruments and all classically, I have been brought up with classical music so I've never had the whole 'it's so uncool' thing stuck into my head. Up until about the beginning of the year Debussy has been my all time favourite composer mainly because of all the less regular harmonies he used and the less fluent melody line. However, I've now read a far amount on J.S. Bach and with a greater understanding of the huge amounts of intelligence in his works and the fascinating structures within it, he has become a favourite too. Finally I love Rachmaninoff, not sure why - I just like his dramatic style, it's so beautiful. Oh, and finally, for the piano, Liszt solely because he's fun to play - always a good challenge although, with exceptions, his works generally are more light hearted and not very serious (probably debatable).

Obake wrote:

What about contemporary classical music, though? The main way we hear it now would be from certain movie soundtracks, or, as someone up above me mentioned, computer games. Anime often contains classical motifs too. Does anyone have a favourite composer who's working now?

Yep - I love Joe Hisaishi! (He did the music for many anime movies such as Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle).

Aah, I sound really pretentious I think. Bum. Ah well...
Whong
I like classical music a lot! Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, Chopin, Bach are really great! Classical music is so beautiful! Very Happy It is also very difficult to play. Sad
Maize
Not often I listen to classical music, but when I do i often enjoy it. Adagio for Strings and Organ have a permanent place on my HD. Smile I also love that there's a remix of it in Rise of the Triad. Razz That one's truly awesome.

Also tried to make my own classical music... it went bleh. Maybe I should listen to it more to understand how it really works. Apparently it's not just about mixing some strings and timpanises. Sad
tefa_taftaf2010
i do like the classic music for sure

i makes me so happy when i listen to it
emem
Yes! I really like classic music, but I do not listen to it very often... But if I have to decide between dur and mol, I think I'd go with mol. Mol ownz dur Smile
sanalskumar
Ohhh... Nothing special.
Jakob [JaWGames]
Yes, classic music can be great and it is often very calming and soothing to listen to..
GB
I love a lot of different music. Classical is one of my favorites. Current favorite songs are Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copeland (Copeland is one of my favorite composers along with other earlier 20th century composers who wrote music about the American west such as Ferde Grofe who wrote the Grand Canyon Suite). I also enjoy the work of Ralph Vaughn Williams, especially "The Lark Ascending." That song is amazing. I also have long appreciated the work of Antonio Vivaldi, especially his concerto in A minor for violin.

For me, too, I really enjoy performing music. Unfortunately, this is something that I have not been able to do since getting out of college.
Patriot Players
I definitely enjoy some good classical music now and again. Very relaxing, zen if you will.
dacode
Hi all,

I do like classical music a lot, alongside Debussy, Erik Satie, Malher...

If it's about classic instruments played in a modern way, I like modern composers like John Cage, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, John Adams, Brian Eno...
pudovkin
I'm brazilian classical music fan. I mostly like Villa-Lobos and Guarnieri stuff, the main modern brazilian compositors.

Brazil has a great orchestra called OSESP (Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São Paulo), which is conducted by John Neschling.
aprivateaccount
i wonder if people here listens to avant garde/classical jazz.

I personally only have heard tomasz stanko and i am trying to look for some avant garde jazz artists, but the music stores here don't even carry tomasz stanko!
):
tamilparks
ya ya I like it very much
ddukki
Has anyone heard of Anton Webern? I listened to a piece (3rd mvmt. from Five Movements String Quartet, op. 5) and it's so short, but crazy in its composition. He's a nineteenth century composer (Contemporary, if you will) and his - as well as Alban Berg and Arnold Schoenberg - works are very strange.
sanalskumar
In INDIA, when we say classical music it essentially mean Karnatik, Hindustani etc. and I agree that the compositions of great me like Ilayaraja,Chembai vaidyanadha bhagavathar, Swathi thirnaal, Thyaagaraajan etc are such things that nobody can even dream of creating such music again.

K. J. Yesudas is my favourite singer and Raveendran master is my favourite composer...
sanalskumar
Hey Tamil parks... You are from Tamil Nadu?? Have got nothing to say on this???

And its really nice to see some Indians here. Have a Good Day...
HDirtwater
Quote:
Has anyone heard of Anton Webern? I listened to a piece (3rd mvmt. from Five Movements String Quartet, op. 5) and it's so short, but crazy in its composition. He's a nineteenth century composer (Contemporary, if you will) and his - as well as Alban Berg and Arnold Schoenberg - works are very strange.

Berg, Webern, and Schoenberg all composed what is called "serial" music (no, not the kind made from Frosted Flakes Laughing ). Serial music is also called 12-tone music, and consists of a "row" of notes (there are 11 different pitches in a chromatic scale, plus the octave which is #12). The melody of the composition cannot repeat a pitch until all 12 are used. It's a very mathmatical way of composing, and almost never sounds any good.

The Berg violin concerto is the only 12-tone piece I've ever heard that makes any sense to me. It almost sounds like jazz.
pudovkin
sanalskumar wrote:
In INDIA, when we say classical music it essentially mean Karnatik, Hindustani etc. and I agree that the compositions of great me like Ilayaraja,Chembai vaidyanadha bhagavathar, Swathi thirnaal, Thyaagaraajan etc are such things that nobody can even dream of creating such music again.

K. J. Yesudas is my favourite singer and Raveendran master is my favourite composer...

That's great suggestions! I will look for that! Wink
Dbarkol
Like everybody ,I like the classical music too, I think the classical music very quiet , lyrical, graceful. I have a habit what is to listen to it while reading..Certainly, in addition,I like pop and light music too., I think they bring another kind of mood to me . Laughing
ddukki
Dbarkol wrote:
Like everybody ,I like the classical music too, I think the classical music very quiet , lyrical, graceful. I have a habit what is to listen to it while reading..Certainly, in addition,I like pop and light music too., I think they bring another kind of mood to me . Laughing
Well, it actually depends on what music you listen to. The term Classical music is so misused that it's starting to bother me. Not all classical music is soft; in fact, it's actually quite loud. When the pieces were composed (especially Beethoven's pieces) the concerts oftentimes hit 120 decibels (the threshold of pain; i.e. modern rock concerts). If you want to get the full effect of a classical concert, turn up the volume knob and head band to Tchaikovsky.
sanalskumar
I would like to say that everybody have a specific vision about particulars, it may be music, classical dances, paintings or movies...
sanalskumar
Hey, thank you my friend!!
Try Hindustani, my favourite!!
bigdan
I don't mind a good bit of classical music. Very soothing and relaxing. Often the Sydney Morning Herald and ABC Classic FM release free CDs filled with classical music, I have all the CDs they've released so far.

My two favourite pieces are the William Tell Overture (especially the version used in A Clockwork Orange) and Saint-Saëns' Symphony No. 3, "Organ" (if you've seen Babe you'll would've heard it).
liljp617
Can't say I'm interested in it that much. I've tried dozens of times to get into it and even took a music history class that dealt a lot with classical music, but it's just not my thing (at least not yet). Classic rock though Very Happy That's another story lol..

I guess I like it a little bit though, since pretty much every genre of music derives from classical music in some way.
roboguyspacedude
I play Viola, so I definitely think it is good. However, listening to an entire concert can be quite boring unless you are one of the people playing in it.
pudovkin
sanalskumar wrote:
Hey, thank you my friend!!
Try Hindustani, my favourite!!

You bet I will! Thanks! Wink
sanalskumar
Hmm... Got it? How is it ? I mean how is my taste?
thejam
I love classical music. Although i am not so old. i like it. i actually want to keep it undiscoverd until ia m a little older. together with jazz. right now there's plenty of other music i have to dig in to.

Some composers i like: Stravinski, debusy, and george Gerswin
Helios
Listened to Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead few days ago.
I really recommend it for those who like the darker, more ambient, aspect of Classical Music.
By the way, won't mind getting recommendations for that kind of music... Rolling Eyes
HDirtwater
Quote:
By the way, won't mind getting recommendations for that kind of music...

A couple of suggestions:

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - R Vaughn Williams
Symphony #2, 7, or 9 - Gustav Mahler
Symphony #4 and German Requiem - Johannes Brahms
Requiem - Guiseppe Verdi
Symphony #4, 5, or 6 - Tchaikowsky
Mass in b minor - JS Bach

OK, more than a couple, but these pieces are some of the most dark and rich in the symphonic or symphonic w/voice that are out there.
karrupin
Yeah, I somewhat likes it, especially when I'm in the state of depressed or tension.. haha.. well, it's kinda relaxing.. but if you ask me what is the classical music I always listen to, I'm afraid I unable to answer you, because I'm not that into it.. like I've mention earlier, only listen when I'm depressed or tension..
zeitgeistsa
I really enjoy 20th Century classical:

Berg, Webern, Schoenberg, Stravinsky.

I also really enjoy Mahler.

Some of my favorite pieces are Richard Strauss : Four Last Songs,
especially the recordings by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf

HDirtwater, what do you think of the Four Last Songs by Strauss?
HDirtwater
Quote:
HDirtwater, what do you think of the Four Last Songs by Strauss?

I don't actually know it. I'm not a big authority on Strauss other than his tone poems (Don Juan, Til Euilenspeigel, etc).

Now Mahler, on the other hand, is a composer who's music I can speak to very well. I love it all, even the songs (not a big fan of solo voice music). I've performed most of the symphonies (except the really big ones like 3 and Cool. Late-romantic German music is probably my favorite.
ddukki
Does anyone have any suggestions about where to get some good classical music? I mean, sure, I could go to Amazon and go review-hunting, but there's gotta some online stores specifically catered to the classical music fans! Anyone?
Vlien
dacode wrote:
Hi all,

I do like classical music a lot, alongside Debussy, Erik Satie, Malher...

waah we have the same taste :p