FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How is Windows Vista?

ktak1
Yes, Microsoft has unveiled their newest, latest and greatest. As our computing environment grows out of the laptop/desktop to entertainment/media centers, Microsoft has reacted to reach our needs. But is Vista really what we need? I can honestly say that I've only read articles on it and have not had the pleasure and/or displeasure of physically using it.

What do you think? Vista is not cheap. Is it worth the price to use it? Who is it really geared for? Question
FireFoxDB
Totally gets owned by Ubuntu ( Linux ). I have a dualboot with Vista and Ubuntu because I play some games occasionally.

Aero is nothing. Beryl can do the same ( and even better ) on just a Geforce4 and like 512mb ram and some old PIII.

I say don't pay a penny and get Linux. Linux can also run quite some Windows apps with Wine/Cedega and a few Windows games.

But coming for Linux:

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Unreal Tournament 3
Probably some other games too.

For now I play the original Enemy Territory which has a native-linux version too.

So don't waste your money.
Cibes
I got Vista some months ago because I bought a new laptop, but honestly I'm pretty disappointed. I can't tell if it really is more secure, but the constant queries to allow many programs to run are slowing you down and with some of the freeware tools for XP I never had security problems on Windows XP either.
Also you sometimes have compatibility issues with some of the advanced software and drivers.
Arrow You can't avoid it anymore when buying a new system but I wouldn't recommend paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade!
ThePolemistis
If you want the cheapest Vista possible,,, download Vista Transformation Pack 6 for XP... and its completely free.....

This way u dont need to buy a new OS, and don't need high spec hardware.... but then again... it may be the closest to Vista, but it isn't vista.
FireFoxDB
Well if you want to ****** up your XP installation you should definitely install that Transformation Pack.
pyapplico
ktak1 wrote:
Yes, Microsoft has unveiled their newest, latest and greatest. As our computing environment grows out of the laptop/desktop to entertainment/media centers, Microsoft has reacted to reach our needs. But is Vista really what we need? I can honestly say that I've only read articles on it and have not had the pleasure and/or displeasure of physically using it.

What do you think? Vista is not cheap. Is it worth the price to use it? Who is it really geared for? Question

Vista is only worth buying if you are buying a new computer or upgrading your hardware. Vista Ultimate seems like the only one worth buying. It's geared to people who only use their computer for multimedia (Mac is better for multimedia).
cvkien
for me, it is depends on what version you are using. i have test vista ultimate, and enterprise version. Ultimate version is better than the others. and also it have to see your desktop or laptop spec. i had see most of those laptop come with OEM vista home premium version but the index rate was low even the price is high. especially the graphic card index. so in this case, it will cause more problems on your graphic. anyway, if for laptop, i don't suggess to use windows vista unless you have better hardware in it. but for desktop, it is perfect for ultimate version. but your hardware also have to be high rated index to support games like the sim 2, need for speed carbon which need high requirement on your pc. for example, 3.0 ghz with 1gb minimum Ram, at least geforce 7300 graphic with 256mb or higher. this spec will make your windows vista run at high performance with high appearence. BUT if you run with windows XP, i can say your computer will 'FLY"... so it is depend on you if you want to spend more money in compoter or not.

but i think for those who love computer, i think they will do it like i am.
mutouren
today I read newspaper and got it was cracked
and there're lots of bugs
I now use IBM t23 and can't run vista easily
that Istill use windows XP now Wink
while I belive Vista would be better and better
and many pple will choose it Arrow
so let's see what would happen Exclamation
Arno v. Lumig
FireFoxDB wrote:
Totally gets owned by Ubuntu ( Linux ). I have a dualboot with Vista and Ubuntu because I play some games occasionally.

Aero is nothing. Beryl can do the same ( and even better ) on just a Geforce4 and like 512mb ram and some old PIII.

I say don't pay a penny and get Linux. Linux can also run quite some Windows apps with Wine/Cedega and a few Windows games.

But coming for Linux:

Unreal Tournament 3

For now I play the original Enemy Territory which has a native-linux version too.

If you would say that Beryl and AIGLX own Aero, we could argue. Looking ignorant by telling that Ubuntu owns, bah.
Ubuntu is nice for people who would like to play some with Linux, and want an easy DE (Desktop Environment) that does everything out of the box, but it is not the only Linux distro out there that can do Beryl.
Ubuntu is bloated. It has (just like Windows) all services enabled by default, so the user doesn't have to worry about installing them, this makes Ubuntu slow and unresponsive.
Canonical would be better of by creating a nice GUI to compile a kernel, and applying other optimisations that will speed up everything.
Loading Firefox on Windows takes around 5 seconds on my PC. Ubuntu beats that by taking over 12 seconds. On FreeBSD however, it takes less then 3 seconds to start the whole thing, but that is in my customised environment with hardly any services on the background.
Don't think I don't like Linux, I really do, but Ubuntu is so slow that it's not funny anymore.

Ubuntu is not the only user friendly distro out there, and definately not the best distro out there, but that is just my opinion, which you're free to ignore.

Greetz,
Arno
froginabox
In a word (and in my humble opinion), Vista sucks. I hated the way it looked, the widgets were annoying and a direct OS-X rip off.

To Bill Gates: If I wanted Windows to look like OS-X, I would get a theme. If I wanted Windows to be like OS-X because nothing is compatible with it, I would get a Mac. Give me my normal, compatible, at least somewhat working Windows back please.

(I have nothing against Macs, I own one)
FireFoxDB
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
FireFoxDB wrote:

But coming for Linux:

Unreal Tournament 3

If you would say that Beryl and AIGLX own Aero, we could argue. Looking ignorant by telling that Ubuntu owns, bah.
Ubuntu is nice for people who would like to play some with Linux, and want an easy DE (Desktop Environment) that does everything out of the box, but it is not the only Linux distro out there that can do Beryl.
Ubuntu is bloated. It has (just like Windows) all services enabled by default, so the user doesn't have to worry about installing them, this makes Ubuntu slow and unresponsive.
Canonical would be better of by creating a nice GUI to compile a kernel, and applying other optimisations that will speed up everything.
Loading Firefox on Windows takes around 5 seconds on my PC. Ubuntu beats that by taking over 12 seconds. On FreeBSD however, it takes less then 3 seconds to start the whole thing, but that is in my customised environment with hardly any services on the background.
Don't think I don't like Linux, I really do, but Ubuntu is so slow that it's not funny anymore.

Ubuntu is not the only user friendly distro out there, and definately not the best distro out there, but that is just my opinion, which you're free to ignore.

Greetz,
Arno

Ubuntu is not slow here. Booting up Firefox takes about 1 second. But I've got a fast OC'ed C2D and modified my system.
Infinity-al
FireFoxDB wrote:
Well if you want to ****** up your XP installation you should definitely install that Transformation Pack.

WTF!... I have installed a transformations pack (Brico Packs Vista Inspirat) its great... and my system is running gr8.. its not ****** up...

I made a try and uninstalled it and everything was just like it was b4 installing it... but thn i reinstalled it again bcoz i loved the way it looked..
Animal
For general Vista discussion, we have an Official Windows Vista thread - please continue the discussion there.

This topic seems to have gone way off-topic (with regard to transformation packs etc), so I'll -close- it.