FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CDRW/DVD ROM drive not reading discs

srujanlive
I am using a SONY CDRW/DVD ROM drive CRX320E. It was working fine till a few days ago when most of the cds i tried to burn failed. Then one suddenly it stoed reading them altogether. Has anyone had a similar problem? Or could anyone provide me with some help?
ssthanapati
try cleaning the lens using a lens cleaner. mayb it will help. I think there is some problem with d lens.
PseudoKnight
This could also be a sign to get a DVD burner. There's really no reason for a main computer to be without one.
MeddlingMonk
Quote:
try cleaning the lens using a lens cleaner. mayb it will help. I think there is some problem with d lens.

I agree - it most likely is the lens that is the cause of the problem, although somehow I doubt cleaning it will fix it. I have heard that CD burners usually only have a life of two years (if they are frequently used), so unless you're still within the warranty period of the drive, I'd say it has probably died.

Quote:
This could also be a sign to get a DVD burner. There's really no reason for a main computer to be without one.

I second that. If your PC is capable of supporting DVD playback and burning (in other words, a Pentium III or equivalent) then I'd get a DVD-RAM drive that is compatible with all the current DVDs (+R/RW, -R/RW, -RAM) and CDs.
rekluzz
My CD burner died recently on my older computer after serving me well for many years. These things have a life expectancy and do wear out eventually. I'd say that it's time for an upgrade. You can pick up a DVD burner for a very low cost these days.
Relentless
yes i agree try upgrading your drive to a dvd r/w...

Very Happy