FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

XP: Prohibition of using certain programs for certain users

TomS
Hello, everybody.
Is there a way that certain users can't run certain programs such as control.exe, taskmanager, tskill.exe?
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, and the user has no admin rights and I have installed my own shell for this account.

Thanks for your answers
Arno v. Lumig
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_sec_tab.mspx?mfr=true

and

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/acl_special_permissions.mspx?mfr=true

might help you
TomS
They are both only for WinXP Professional.
I've found a script that prohibits the start of any programm and allows only a few that stand on a whitelist.
Thanks, though.
ThePolemistis
TomS wrote:
They are both only for WinXP Professional.
I've found a script that prohibits the start of any programm and allows only a few that stand on a whitelist.
Thanks, though.

I once had somthing that you described, which prohibited the execution of any EXE file... Windows XP will only allow you to load Word if you clicked on a document to load it... No EXE could be loaded directly,, and I was running in admin as well

I fixed the problem, but some script u mentioned.... but I hated that bug.

I remember a similar problem occured under win2k, and I always had to rightclick and select run as... and then the top option (being current user). I had the rights, but some bug in win2k i guess.