FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to avoid spam messages

tamilparks
dear friends i am having a forum for friends circle palace but some spam members are joining how can we avoid this.... please help me
MrBlueSky
If the forum has the option to require new users to activate their account using an activation email, turn on this option. If the forum doesn't have this option, maybe there is a mod for this. I think this will reduce the spam a lot.
Besides that you can block the ip-adress of the spammers so they can't register a new account from that ip-adress.
tamilparks
there is a option to activate through email...but even though the spam are registering without activation the members are there i am deleting daily but how can i avoid this can you please tell me about the mod where to get...
MrBlueSky
Assuming it's a phpBB forum, there are several mods you can consider using, depending on the kind of spam your forum is suffering from. Can you explain what kind of spam you get? Are bots registering and posting messages, or do new members post spam-urls, or something else?
tamilparks
i could not understand
Diablosblizz
He wants to know the following thing:

1. Whats your forum software (PHPBB, SMF, Mybb - this will help a lot)
2. Hes suggesting what you could do by installing mods to delete things, and to reduce your spam
3. He wants to know what type of spam are you getting, in your mail inbox, on your PM's, or are people spaming links in topics / posts

I probably just confused you more.
jabapyth
there are several image verification packages out there; I've found those to be most effective in stopping bots
MrBlueSky
Diablosblizz wrote:
He wants to know the following thing:

1. Whats your forum software (PHPBB, SMF, Mybb - this will help a lot)
2. Hes suggesting what you could do by installing mods to delete things, and to reduce your spam
3. He wants to know what type of spam are you getting, in your mail inbox, on your PM's, or are people spaming links in topics / posts

I probably just confused you more.

Yups. That's exactly what I meant.
aningbo
bluesky, is there a way you could possibly think of getting rid of this spam or what?

yes my forum is being spam with links in topics / posts...? any suggestions. i got several mods up for my phpbb forum but no help with those.
ALostSoul
is it a hand coded forum? if it is, just log the persons IP address and if there is more than X amount of posts per X amount of time display an error...
MrBlueSky
aningbo wrote:
bluesky, is there a way you could possibly think of getting rid of this spam or what?

yes my forum is being spam with links in topics / posts...? any suggestions. i got several mods up for my phpbb forum but no help with those.

Do you have a captcha-mod installed? When a new user registers it displays a picture containing some random letters and numbers which must be typed to complete the registration. This will get rid of bots which automatically register to your forum to spam: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=495004

If users are signing up to your forum just to spam urls you can use this mod: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=464628 which let only active users post urls. I haven't tried it, but it looks a very good way to get rid of spam-url posters.
aningbo
after X days!! that doesn't sound good. but i'll try the CAPTCHA. looks like its more powerful. thanx dude. i hope this get rid of them.
MrBlueSky
Yeah, but I think you can also set it to for example 1 day. Or even 0 days, but only after 1 or 2 posts or something like that. But I agree it isn't very user-friendly.
aningbo
yeah but if needed be, i can't help but use that mod. i'm about to installed text confirmation too.