FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Fan for my ATI Radeon 9800 pro

marrs
My pc didn't want to start up yesterday and I noticed the fan on my graphics card was FULL of dust and didn't spin anymore.The fan is sort of modeled into a heat sink,looks kind of difficult to replace.
Has anyone else had experience with this card,if so which cooling method would you suggest.

Thanks

I know its an old card but it still kicks ASS!

Below is a photo which shows the heatsink/fan,so you know what I mean.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/9800256/R9800PRO%20256%20BOARDhighres.jpg
psycosquirrel
Most standard heatsinks will work. Do you have any experience replacing heatsinks? The clip type on this type of sink makes it very easy to damage the core. You may want to get someone more experienced to do it.

This sink should work well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835192006

Step 1 will be taking off the heatsink. To do so, you need to use needlenose pliers and carefully push the clips on the back of the card together so that they will fit through the holes on the board. Do it for both, then gently lift off the heatsink. You want to clean off the old thermal paste (be sure to ground yourself first) with paper towels and 90+% isopropyl alcohol. Next, open the new sink, apply the thermal compound on the GPU, spread evenly in a THIN layer, and clip the new sink on the same way as the old one was on. Leave the RAM heatsinks alone, they don't need messed with.
psycosquirrel
Actually, the Northbridge fan from your thread in Support should work too.
gh0stface
I'm not sure with your 9800Pro, but with my old Visiontek GF3 Ti500, the dead heatsink had thermal glue instead of just thermal paste. One of the easiest way that I've been able to remove/change the heatsink/cpu is to wrap the graphic cards in the non-static bag, throw it in the freezer for an hour and you'll be able to pop it off a little easier.

Like psycosquirrel said, clean of the remaining paste/glue with 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol and make sure that the GPU is dry and put cover it with a thin layer of thermal paste before you put on the new heatsink fan.
ForceRun
gh0stface wrote:
One of the easiest way that I've been able to remove/change the heatsink/cpu is to wrap the graphic cards in the non-static bag, throw it in the freezer for an hour and you'll be able to pop it off a little easier.

You froze your hardware? Sounds crazy to me, way to likely to crack some thing. Just do what psycosquirrel said and grab a cooler off newegg. It is easy to instal. I have an old Geforce 4 thats on its 3rd fan and still runs fine. Oh and clean your computer once and a while.