FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Hobbit

daboking
I heard New Line gave the go ahead to the project, but Peter Jackson will not be at the helm... anyone have any news? i hope whoever does this film approaches it with the same love and passion that Jackson did with the Lord of the Rings.
teko
the hobbit was not as good to read as the lotr series so cant really myself getting too bothered over this, although Im sure the die hards will think very differently. Anyway the director that takes this film will have a lot to live up to and if its not on par with the LOTR series it will come in for a lot of criticism
schmidi
'This movie comes 2009 in the cinemas...
poly
I hope it's gonna be as sweet as the Lord of the rings sequel...
crimson_aria
So is it confirmed? Hiks, I really hope it will be as good as LOTR. Peter Jackson did a great job with the film, how I wish he'd be the one to do this too.
laurenrox
I really didn't know ANYTHING about ANYONE making a movie-version of The Hobbit. Weird... I can't wait to see it though. I do wish it was Peter Jackson directing it. Different directors have different styles and I'm not too sure if I can stand a visual version of The Hobbit with poor acting, different characters, and poor interpretation. But it doesn't come out until 2009? Thank bites. Sad ... *Sigh*, oh well. But hey, I'll be 21 by the time it comes out on DVD, and I'll be able to watch it drunk! Lolz...
Tartaglia
Sources everywhere say that it's confirmed, but apparently Peter Jackson is sueing New Line Cinema because they under paid him $100,000 for the LOTR Trilogy. Just think, if they under paid him $100,000, imagine how much he made total from the trilogy...
roboguyspacedude
It's disappointing. beside why does Peter care. He has all the money form LOTR and all the money from King Kong. Just another example of the greedy rich. They just can't get enough money. I would love to see a live action movie of the prequel to LOTR.
laurenrox
Will the same actors be used to play Bilbo, Gandalf, etc?
Scaramanga
Tartaglia wrote:
Sources everywhere say that it's confirmed, but apparently Peter Jackson is sueing New Line Cinema because they under paid him $100,000 for the LOTR Trilogy. Just think, if they under paid him $100,000, imagine how much he made total from the trilogy...

and
roboguyspacedude wrote:
It's disappointing. beside why does Peter care. He has all the money form LOTR and all the money from King Kong. Just another example of the greedy rich. They just can't get enough money. I would love to see a live action movie of the prequel to LOTR.

This is actually pretty erroneous. It's Wingnut Pictures who's suing New Line, and it's not just about the money, but about New Line's accounting practices.

Also, this was reported on back in November of last year. If New Line hasn't announced a new director yet, I doubt this film will get made by them (as they claim to have a limited window on the production rights to the property.)

Honestly though, I doubt a Hobbit film has much chance of success without Jackson.
Idoru
It will propablly be about the same movie with or without Jackson. They already
have lots of the settings, so the job is really just to put it togeather. Doesn't take a genious to do that. Wink

Anyhow, if it gets maid would be nice. I actually like 'The Hobbit' more then the
triology, even if it's hard to compare them. I'd still say that 'The Hobbit' is more
of a fairy-tale to me, a bit softer and more magic. I like the animated movie a lot,
especially for the brilliant setting of the story-telling and the music. I think that
gives me an image hard to compete with. We'll see if it gets close, for I'm sure
there is to much money and interest in making the movie happen for it not to
be made. In the end, it's propablly just a question of when they solve the legal issues
mentioned.
laurenrox
Quote:
have lots of the settings, so the job is really just to put it togeather. Doesn't take a genious to do that.

Only someone who's doesn't know anything about what it takes to make movies would say something something like that. >_<...
Scaramanga
Idoru wrote:
have lots of the settings, so the job is really just to put it togeather. Doesn't take a genious to do that. Wink

Actually New Line may NOT have access to the "settings" as New Zealand may not be as enthusiastic about reshooting there if Jackson isn't at the helm. Also, I haven't heard that WETA is involved in this at all (and they have an excellent relationship with Jackson.) If WETA is not onboard, I can safely assume this thing is going to blow up right in New Line's faces.

Also, Jackson is an academy award winning director, unlike some schmo off the streets, that New Line would be likely to hire.
pirki
The Hobbit was the first Tolkien Book I read, and i loved it Very Happy But I think it will be hard to make that movie, because of the reason that LOTR was so great and successful
Idoru
laurenrox wrote:
Only someone who's doesn't know anything about what it takes to make movies would say something something like that. >_<...

True, I can't argue with that.

Scaramanga wrote:
Actually New Line may NOT have access to the "settings" as New Zealand may not be as enthusiastic about reshooting there if Jackson isn't at the helm. Also, I haven't heard that WETA is involved in this at all (and they have an excellent relationship with Jackson.) If WETA is not onboard, I can safely assume this thing is going to blow up right in New Line's faces.

Also, Jackson is an academy award winning director, unlike some schmo off the streets, that New Line would be likely to hire.

I'm neither involved with the facts around this, so it's not much to argue with here either.
Jackson got class, I have to admit. Going from Braindead to King Kong, it's quite an
achivement. What he did was new, and what I'm saying that since he did it, the line
of thought isn't to hard to follow. Not that anyone can do it as good, or in the same
place, but he's broken a lot of the pioneers barriers, hence it will be easier to
film The Hobbit.

Personally, I don't compare the original story to much with the movie, and will
try not to do in any case where a novel is made movie. It just isn't the same artform,
and will never get right.
ryanh2006
I am really excited that The Hobbit has been given the green light and I am not really that worried over the fallout that is emerging over Peter Jackson's role, or lack off, in it. It is a great book and the success over the LOTR adaptation proves that The Hobbit can probably expect the same royal treatment regardless of who is going to direct it. I am in a wait and watch mode right now and I won't be jumping to conclusions or assumptions until all of the facts emerge Very Happy
blk3
Im glad that a new Tolkien novel will be adapted for the big screen. Liked the LOTR trilogy specially the middle movie (which I think is the best of the trilogy). I've tried reading the books LOTR tilogy and the Hobbit and didnt get past the first few pages, just havent got enough time to do any reading, so it will be nice to know all about The Hobbit is as little as 2-3 hours. Saves me a lot of time. Laughing
Afaceinthematrix
I probably wouldn't read it. I thought the book was horrible so there'd be no point in me watching the movie.
Lessien
I don't think ALL the actors from LOTR will come, I mean, don't think Ian Holm could get away with playing Bilbo because of his age (dear god please don't strike me down..)
Ian Mckellen might come as Gandalf, and that might make the movie worth watching.

Will be interesting though, who they get to play Thranduil, Leggy's dad.

Here is a thought. if public interest isn't so great, you think they might have Orlando Bloom make an appearance for the part the dwarves and that are taken into Mirkwood?
Not true to the book of course, but you can't tell script writers what to do.

What you think?
Idoru
blk3 wrote:
Saves me a lot of time. Laughing

Don't mean to be hard on you, but huh? Movies aswell as novels are for me supposed
to be recreation. Gathering of inner strength, development of my view on the world, etc.
A sound advice - revice your perspective on time and what you fullfill it with. You only get one life. Wink
tkGER
blk3 wrote:
II've tried reading the books LOTR tilogy and the Hobbit and didnt get past the first few pages, just havent got enough time to do any reading, so it will be nice to know all about The Hobbit is as little as 2-3 hours. Saves me a lot of time. Laughing

books tend to be much better than the films based on them, and this ain't no exception to the rule... read the book and you'll find tout there was a lot you'd 've missed otherwise

I hope Jackson gets to be the director, it certainly wouldn't be the same... he has his own style and it wouldn't be quite the same without him... as it wouldn't if Ian MacEllen (is it spelled that way??) doesn't play Gandalf, don't you think? Someone else just would not be Gandalf...
Scaramanga
Lessien wrote:
I don't think ALL the actors from LOTR will come, I mean, don't think Ian Holm could get away with playing Bilbo because of his age (dear god please don't strike me down..)
Ian Mckellen might come as Gandalf, and that might make the movie worth watching.

The problem with all of that is that all the characters that appear in both works are significantly younger in The Hobbit. I mean I could see McKellen reprising Gandalf, but Holm as Bilbo? No way.
jenjenzorz
After how they swindeled Peter Jackson out of the right to direct The Hobbit, there's no way I will watch it. I loved the cartoon as a kid, yes, but the movie will not be seen by me. Peter Jackson was amazing with the LOTR trilogy, and this would have been spectacular with PJ at the heml.

Cool I'm done speaking my peace now *nods*
Seiorai
The Hobbit lacks the potential LOTR has.
By default, even as a book, LOTR has a more complex action, setting, lets the imagination of the director run free, while still having a mature and serious attitude. While The Hobbit...is closer to a children's book,a nd doesn't present such complex features.

And without PJ, I doubt it will come out to be a more than average movie *shrug*
Jackson had it in him, with LOTR, I would be surprised if anyone would manage to match him with The Hobbit.