FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Seeking the advice of gamers...

daboking
I am not savvy to what is cool in the world of video games, but my 7 year old daughter wants a next gen console. I am not so much worried about price as much as wanting tomake sure there be a plethora of games she will enjoy. She is a huge sonic the hedgehog fan as well as spyro the dragon. What advise suggestions would you, as gamers, recommend for someone just looking to make his daughter happy with the choice I make? Thanks ALOT
Magicman
I've only ever owned Nintendo consoles myself and I would say they probably have the most games for younger gamers but the games are the type that most ages could enjoy. The Wii has a Sonic game that has been released and uses the revolutionary Wii controller. I can't really comment on the other two systems because I've never owned either of them.
Cibes
I think you really should consider the Wii. It seems to be a very innovative control and is a lot of fun especially for people who are not quite "hardcore gamers"!
Keran
Yes I agree, Wii should be the perfect choice. Other next gen consoles like PS3 and XBOX360 have a whole different kind of games, I'd say they are suitable for real Gamers. When Wii games simply base on having fun even if You don't have experience with gaming.
Loghete
Yeah, Wii. And I'm sure you'll get some joy of it yourself, too Very Happy
eLto
Let me just state(again) that the natural choice for ME would be a ps3. But my sister who's 10 wants a nextgen console as well, so I told her to get a wii. It's better for kids than a ps3, costs half and nintendo makes playable games for everyone, so you can enjoy some of the more serious titles aswell. Like splinter cell or stuff like that. The wii isn't all bad, unless you're going for graphics and capabilities, and delicate equipment you DON'T want to break Wink
Loghete
eLto wrote:
Let me just state(again) that the natural choice for ME would be a ps3. But my sister who's 10 wants a nextgen console as well, so I told her to get a wii. It's better for kids than a ps3, costs half and nintendo makes playable games for everyone, so you can enjoy some of the more serious titles aswell. Like splinter cell or stuff like that. The wii isn't all bad, unless you're going for graphics and capabilities, and delicate equipment you DON'T want to break Wink

Though, they say Splinter Cell for Wii really sucks, it got 5.5 on IGN.
jay84h
For your daughter, the Wii is the perfect choice. XBox 360 and PS3 is more for aggressive gamers. The Wii is basically designed for the family, so you can have fun.
Zyphrius
Well,

As a gamer, I am personnlay all for the PC, but that is because I am hardcore gamer who has built his system for the purposes of gaming.

I would put it his wya for a console system;

The PS3 and XBOX 360 are extremely geared towards older harcore gamers with games that actually have a high raiting for ages, as they deal with alot of First Person and fighting games.

The Wii which is doing just aswell maybe better than both, it is geared toward a younger audience but has not forgotten it's older generation fans.

As you are buying this for your 7 year old daughter who as you said enjoys Sonic, then definetly your best choice is the Wii, It has the newest Sonic game on the market, and seeing as how Sega the creators of Sonic will never make a console again but seem to have added their games to Nintendo, then you will definetly be happy with this buy.

Plus it is about half the price!!!

Hope this helps, enjoy!
jamie2980
gamecube it has loads of games on and classic 1's
Osmodius
Get her a Dreamcast for 40 bucks, they're basically the same console and she won't know it isn't next-gen. Wink
Loghete
Mean guy ^^

Razz
ItsWesley
Personally I think that the wii would be the best choice for a child, as it has lots of games that cater to a younger audience, and the 'wiimote' controller should be easy to use and children can interact with games with it.
TarsajumaClan
daboking wrote:
I am not savvy to what is cool in the world of video games, but my 7 year old daughter wants a next gen console. I am not so much worried about price as much as wanting tomake sure there be a plethora of games she will enjoy. She is a huge sonic the hedgehog fan as well as spyro the dragon. What advise suggestions would you, as gamers, recommend for someone just looking to make his daughter happy with the choice I make? Thanks ALOT

If you haven’t already decided, I would suggest the Wii as well. Most of its games maintain mainstream audience appeal while still be appropriate for children of all ages. For the most part, the Wii will have a better selection of games that a suited for a 7 year old.
Ghengis
The OP said her daughter liked Spyro, which IIRC is a Sony franchise -- if you specifically want Spyro games, you'll need a PS3 (assuming they keep making them -- last Spyro was for PS2 several years ago, I think). EDIT: oops! I was mistaken (see post several entries down). Spyro is apparently available on a number of platforms, including GameCube, which will play on the Wii.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree that a 7-year-old is more likely to find appropriate games on a Wii.
djcaution
ALWAYS Nintendo for the win with younger gamers
Jeff_vella_leone
Wii is the best choice for a kid of 7 years ols because the other consols have games that are more for older people, and they are challanging so they will surly be too hard for a 7 year old child
when i was a kid i had playstation and it wasnt that bad because games wherent that hard at least not all, but i allways was good on games.
_Jak_
i agree with most people on that the WII would be the best for a 7 year daughter ALTHOUGH if you will be using it for many years i can reccomend XBOX 360 it has sonic and spyro and you can get many more that all will enjoy. The WII would be good but it wont last as long as a 360 would.

so my personal reccomendation (as an experienced gamer) is the XBOX 360.
TarsajumaClan
Ghengis wrote:
The OP said her daughter liked Spyro, which IIRC is a Sony franchise -- if you specifically want Spyro games, you'll need a PS3 (assuming they keep making them -- last Spyro was for PS2 several years ago, I think). Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree that a 7-year-old is more likely to find appropriate games on a Wii.

Please dont spread flase information... Spyro is found with nintendo as well now... One example: http://www.nintendo.com/gamemini?gameid=m-Game-0000-1405
Osmodius
_Jak_ wrote:
so my personal reccomendation (as an experienced gamer) is the XBOX 360.

Another thing to consider is that a 7 year old might get angry and throw a controller, or something. That's far less likely with a Wii since the games are easy enough for a child, and also, a Wiimote would more likely survive being thrown.

Your seven year old might be very well behaved, but I know 14 year old girls that behave as I described above >_>
_Jak_
yea read my above post though...i did reccomend the wii for a 7 year old but it wont last to many years (my 9 year old sister prefers the xbox to the wii) so it will depend on what you want it for.
RubySlasher
The Sonic game for the xbox was pretty bad from what I understand (a lot of Sonic fans were NOT happy.) But Sonic and the Secret Rings for the Wii got better ratings.
So the Wii might be better. Of course, there's some prospective games coming out that are wooing me to purchase a Wii.
There's a NiGHTS game coming out for it next year or so (NiGHTS was made by Sonic Team, so has similar elements), as well as a new innovative DDR-like Konami game. There's also going to be a Harvest Moon coming out for it:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/724/724532p1.html

I heard Cooking Mama was good as well. And then there's that nice little feature that the Wii can play gamecube games.
BUT, there's a chance that she might get into RPGs at around age 10, then the xbox or PS3 might be better, since the Wii is lacking in RPGs right now. (Personally, I own a gamecube, but also a PS2 expressly for my RPG needs!)
reddishblue
RubySlasher wrote:

BUT, there's a chance that she might get into RPGs at around age 10, then the xbox or PS3 might be better, since the Wii is lacking in RPGs right now. (Personally, I own a gamecube, but also a PS2 expressly for my RPG needs!)

A ten year old playing RPGs? I was stuck on a puzzle in Knights of the Old Republic today and I'm 13!
I don't think a ten year old could handle a RPG at all, feel free to correct me everyone!
Bromine
daboking wrote:

If your daughter is seven years old I would say DEFINATELY get a Wii. That console is designed for kids. The controller is much more fun and entertaining then a 360 controller and much of the games are oriented toward children. I have played the Wii with younger ones and they have a great time.
Ghengis
reddishblue wrote:
A ten year old playing RPGs? I was stuck on a puzzle in Knights of the Old Republic today and I'm 13!
I don't think a ten year old could handle a RPG at all, feel free to correct me everyone!

When I was your age (/grampasimpson -- I'm actually "only" 26 now), I was playing SNES RPGs and loving them. Lessee... I would have been 13 in 1993, and SNES came out IIRC around 1990... Looks like Wikipedia says Final Fantasy II for SNES came out in 1991, and I think I got it shortly after release. So, yeah, I would have been playing RPGs when I was 10 or 11. Actually, I used to *love* Wasteland on the Apple ][ (still awesome, if you can get around the very primitive graphics), and I think we got that when I was about 8 (1988). I think the big difference was that my big brother (3 years older) helped me with some of the tough parts, or at least would usually have played through first and could explain whatever I didn't get. Plus, I was an effin' genius Wink
Osmodius
reddishblue wrote:

My friends and I would play Final Fantasy VII when we were around ten years old Razz

I was the only one who never finished it :*(
TarsajumaClan
reddishblue wrote:
RubySlasher wrote:

I disagree. I was playing rpgs around that age… They don’t really require that much thought.
TarsajumaClan
reddishblue wrote:
RubySlasher wrote:

I disagree. I was playing rpgs around that age… They don’t really require that much thought.
Jamie Summersett
I would have to say get a playstation 2 , as it has a larger selection at the moment than playstaion 3. And it costs less. I'd say wait a while on the playstaion 3, maybe 2 years. By then there will be lots of games to choose from.
ShawnKelfonne
reddishblue wrote:
RubySlasher wrote:

Bwahahaha, I finished the original Legend of Zelda when I was in Kindergarten.

Anyway, to get back on topic, and to agree with nearly everyone else here, the Wii is probably your best bet here. At her age it has the simplest controls, and will probably be the easiest to figure out, and you may even see yourself getting into it as well.

As has also been mentioned, the Wii will play all of the Gamecube games as well, so if you don't already have those, there are a few Sonic games for it as well. (Just stay away from the horrible ones, like Shadow the Hedgehog. Ugh.).
Geminh
The best way to go if you only have a 7 yr old daughter is to buy a Nintendo Wii. Why? Because unlike XBOX 360 and PS3, Nintendo is the one that markets children. Plus, if your daughter likes Sonic, the Wii has already released a new game for him. Just make sure she doesn't throw her Wiimote into the TV. Laughing