FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

remedy for late night duty hazard

bukaida
I am a software professional and have to stay late(about 3 AM) on an average. After each late night work, the next day becomes horrible.All day some kind of dizzyness, brain does not work properly and body reflexes drastically reduced. I use to have the late night shift about thrice a week on an average.Now what to do to cope up such situations? That day, after 3 am , it almost become impossible to sleep for the rest of the night. Please suggest possible health precautions.
Azmo
you never said when u get up in the morning.. but there is a law in sweden that says that there must be 11 hours or something between your shifts at work (the same work ofc.. not if you have 2 jobs) .. but I guess u like ur job and dont wanna argue about that.. so taking small naps, and eating very healthy, that's something you can do.. alot of vitamins and small naps during the day.. 20min rest a few times when you have a break can rly help you out alot.. you know alot of constructing workers do that.. friend of mine work as a painter.. he takes 5 minutes ever hour, just lay down, close his eyes and rest.. he compared that with taking no such breaks one day.. and he said that those 5 minutes every hour rly helped him out alot
GSIS
I guess the employers in Kolkata have their own way and don't worry too much about following laws, rules, guidelines and established common sense.

I'm also guessing you're not the only employee in your company with this problem.

If you're trying to work while tired and inefficient you will be far less productive and make more mistakes than if you've had a decent rest between shifts. It's in your employer's interests as well as your own. When in IT consultancy my colleagues and I could all achieve more working 5 8 hour shifts in a week than we could working 5 12 hour shifts in a week because when we worked longer we wasted time by not thinking problems through properly, wasted time making mistakes, then wasting more time putting them right.

If your employers are approachable discuss it with them. They might want to think about changing their shift patterns so all their staff can get a proper break between shifts.
bukaida
@ Azmo-Thank you man, I will try to follow the steps mentioned by you.

@GSIS-- I wish you will be my employer Crying or Very sad We have discussed the issue but with no result. Worst, its a renouned multinational soft company.
amicidellatigre
just once, try a cream for haemorrhoids on your shadows and sockets under your eyes. Models use it. It really works as it is a vasoconstrictor!

believe me, I have seen top models using it.

ciao
furtasacra
bukaida wrote:
I am a software professional and have to stay late(about 3 AM) on an average. After each late night work, the next day becomes horrible.All day some kind of dizzyness, brain does not work properly and body reflexes drastically reduced. I use to have the late night shift about thrice a week on an average.Now what to do to cope up such situations? That day, after 3 am , it almost become impossible to sleep for the rest of the night. Please suggest possible health precautions.

A suggestion: avoid caffeine on those late shifts, it'll keep you up even after you get home and want to go to sleep. Drink plenty of water instead. Keep a water bottle at your desk. You can get dehydrated without even realizing it, and being dehydrated makes your brain sluggish.

Also, stand up and stretch when you start feeling groggy or have trouble concentrating. If you can get away with it, walk around a bit. Just focusing your eyes away from the computer screen and moving around a little at least once every hour does wonders when you are fighting fatigue.

I know this stuff sounds overly simple, but little things can make a big difference.
Gagnar The Unruly
It may sound weird, but I find that nuts (salted or unsalted) are a great way to stay awake without the side-effects of caffeine. I use them on late night drives when I need to. All the fat and protein makes them good energy food without manhandling your blood glucose levels the way carbohydrates can, and digesting them ramps up your metabolism, I think. I think a little bit of salt may help you stay awake, too, by raising your blood pressure. And drink plenty of water!

If you have any spare time at all, I'd try filling some of it with exercise. Your body will run better in general if you get a little bit of routine light exercise (3-5 times a week?), and you can forestall some long term side-effects of long shifts and your tricks for dealing with them (like weight gain and chronic high blood pressure). You'll probaly sleep better at night, too.
furtasacra
I have some other things to add that I didn't think of before... Embarassed

Make sure your eyeglasses prescription is up-to-date. Eyestrain can cause headaches and an astonishing amount of weariness. It can also lead to squinting and leaning forward to see your monitor better, which causes bad posture... which leads me to--

-- neck and back pain, which seems to be endemic among cubicle-dwellers. Pain makes you feel more tired than you really are.

Make sure your chair is adjusted properly, so that you can comfortably sit up straight with your feet flat on the floor. If the chair has no lower back support, ask management for one that does. If they laugh at you, get a lumbar support cushion.

Adjust your monitor so that it's comfortably at eye level. If it's too high, you have to crane your neck and look up (painful), and if it's too low, you hunch your shoulders down; also painful, and constricts your chest, causing you to breathe shallowly. Constricted breathing = less oxygen = less energy.

And just in case anybody wonders how I know all this stuff, it's from a combination of personal experience, and research I did for a health article at a newspaper I worked for long ago.

Now please excuse me while I destroy my own personal health, I'm gonna go have a few beers. Laughing
outofnicks
Listen to furtasacra, good health habits are the key to feeling good for anyone, especially computer workers. Sitting at a computer desk for hours is one of the most unhealthy things for your body. On top of that, if you smoke, drink coffee or caffienated soda and eat bad food, you're setting yourself up for a health crisis sooner or later. Take care of your body, eat well, get exercise, be good to yourself!
Azmo
actually, this topic should be "sticky" or something, cause I think alot of people are having problems with this, working late nights or long shifts doing the same thing.. dont have to be staring at a computer screen, but something else that means that you sit down watching and doing the same thing for alot of hours and cant rly take any breaks more then a 5 minute every once in a while. Think this could help those people alot.

It could also help all those who kinda live truogh the computer, playing or doing other stuff like chatting on their spare time.. it's their own choice of living, and I wont blaim then for it.. but this could help them live their "bad life" a bit better and help them feel less tired and maybe even wanna do other things since u dont feel that "sleepines" all the time..

Everyone should take care of themselfs, and most things mentioned in this thread are small things u can do at work/home w/o any big effort or big $$ involved (ok a new pair of glasses can cost some but still..)
bukaida
Thank guys, Drinking lots of water instead of coffiee has helped me a lot.But still suffering from headache and backpain.
furtasacra
bukaida wrote:
Thank guys, Drinking lots of water instead of coffiee has helped me a lot.But still suffering from headache and backpain.

I'm glad the water helped. If you still have headaches and backache after adjusting your chair and monitor, make sure you're getting enough exercise. Just about every day I walk, and do this stretching routine I saved from the magazine that comes with my Sunday paper.

I also do pilates with weights or an aerobic dance video several times a week but that's because I need to lose 15 pounds Sad

Oh, and fluorescent lighting can glare on your monitor and give you headaches, especially if they flicker. You might want to get a glare shield for your monitor, and if there's a dying fluorescent bulb anywhere near you acting like a strobe light, beg to have it replaced.

Hope this helps!