FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help,i've lost MS PAINT Will pay 100 Frih$ for it back

Terrasis-Cian
I have removed some windows components from my computer. Everything seems to be ok for ages but i cannot get ms paint back. Its very annoying. I cannot find a download link to it anywhere and i cannot get it off the original windows backup discs. Please HELP !!! I WILL PAY FRIH$
Thanks Smile
Arnie
What Windows version and language? Best thing to do is fetch it from your own installation CABs using for example the EXTRACT tool which searches through all CABs for specified files.
otiscom
WHY do you want ms paint?

There are tons of free "paint" progs on the net, all much better than that.
yjwong
I'm sure you can add it back from the Add/Remove Programs dialog. Open up Add/Remove programs, then at the left pane, click "Add/Remove Windows components". Paint should be under "Accessories" so check that box, then click "Next", there you have your MS Paint back.

If that doesn't work, then there might be a copy of mspaint.exe in C:\Windows\System32\dllcache\ (needs Windows File Protection enabled in order for this directory to be created).
Tex_Arcana
otiscom wrote:
WHY do you want ms paint?

There are tons of free "paint" progs on the net, all much better than that.

Way back in the day when I still had Windows I had the demo version of Project Dogwaffle. I still think that was the best paint program I ever used.

It's the closest program I ever saw that was like really painting with brush and canvass.
Arnie
Why get another program when you're used to working with mspaint for the lighter jobs? It's absolute nonsense to install GTK+ and the Gimp, many megabytes in size, to replace a small, quick app like mspaint.
welshsteve
As a much better alternative to MSPAINT, try Paint.NET (www.getpaint.net)
Arnie
Yeah... if you have Windows XP and don't mind installing a few megabytes extra, let alone the .NET framework...

When you actually use the features, it's certainly a good program. But when you just need the basic mspaint functions, why get something else?
tony
why not switch to gimp? its more powerful, free, open-source, and runs on all the major OS'es...
welshsteve
tony wrote:
why not switch to gimp? its more powerful, free, open-source, and runs on all the major OS'es...

I have never got on with the Gimp. I find the program layout very messy
vaughands
Just give him the MSPaint lol, here
[url=Paint]http://gamingdomain.frih.net/mspaint.exe[/url]
ThePolemistis
vaughands wrote:

loll... took 10 posts for someone to finally give him paint hhha
Q5U8
And the man still is with 90 FRIH$

Bad trade Laughing
Arnie
Quote:
loll... took 10 posts for someone to finally give him paint hhha
Well, as I said before we would have to know what Windows he is running, since not all mspaint.exe's are equal. I'm pretty sure the XP Paint will not even run on 98SE, for example. Had the topic starter actually replied and told his Windows version, I'd have given him the right Paint, but currently that's not possible.

And somehow I doubt the topic starter is going to reply at all.
umeshtangnu
just run sfc /scannow
it will replace all your missing files after that just Open up Add/Remove programs, then at the left pane, click "Add/Remove Windows components". Paint should be under "Accessories" so check that box, then click "Next", there you have your MS Paint back.
Terrasis-Cian
Hi, Sorry for not replying. Im running XP. When i try and get it back though "add remove windows components" it asks me to insert a windows service pack 2 disk!!which i dont have...
Terrasis-Cian
Ok, i ve got it back. Running sfc/scannow solved my problems. Thanks Everyone!!Donating 100Frih$ to umeshtangnu...
hawkwing8
sfc /scannow will not work for me, someone hacked into my system and deleted most of my system files, HOWEVER computer is still running BUT some programs would not run, for example sfc /scannow keeps coming up "service 2" pack needed insert disk
Arnie
It doesn't work because it needs to fetch the files from your Windows CD. Insert the CD it asks for and it should work.

However, if somebody truly hacked into your system as you say, I suggest you keep it off the Internet and get professional help. Or do a format and reinstall. Many people tend to incorrectly blame computer problems to hackers and/or viruses while it's their own fault, but if your pc is really compromised then you have to keep it off the Internet until the mess is cleaned up.
hawkwing8
i cannot re-format, if i do,ill lose connection to internet.. Since i cannot find the WPA key to connect to my wireless network.. and i have no idea how to get the WPA to connect to the network place, any suggestions?
Flakky
I think it will be illegal since it is copyright to buy it off from someone else, use some free software around and if you need a specific feature that pain has (WOW!), pm me and I can link you to software which has that function.
iNs@nE
welshsteve wrote:
As a much better alternative to MSPAINT, try Paint.NET (www.getpaint.net)

Pixel Pics..!! Thats one amazing thing about MS Paint no available with the rest. Well, Not denyin that they cant be made but still they come out perfect with MS Paint.
Arnie
hawkwing8 wrote:
i cannot re-format, if i do,ill lose connection to internet.. Since i cannot find the WPA key to connect to my wireless network.. and i have no idea how to get the WPA to connect to the network place, any suggestions?

1) The key may be in a manual that came shipped with the router, or a letter from your provider (if they shipped it), or a sticker somewhere on the router itself.

If you can't find the key, you can reset it.

2) If the router allows wired connections (in regular LAN ports), temporarily hook up a computer to the router by wire, then go to the control panel and change the WPA key. You can move the router to a desktop computer if you want to, because the Internet plug doesn't have to be connected.
3) If none of the above works, find a reset button on the router and push it for 30 seconds or so. All settings should now be defaulted and you'll be booted off the wireless network. Search for new networks on your computer, and you'll probably find your router with a new SSID (name), its default, and no WPA or WEP protection. Connect to your router, go to its control panel and set a WPA key. You'll be booted off the connection again since you have to reconnect entering the WPA key.
nilsmo
vaughands wrote:

You can't just give somebody an mspaint executable - I don't think that will work. Needs to be installed/put in the registry, etc.
Arnie
Depending on how he lost the mspaint.exe file that may or may not be a problem. If it was simply accidentally deleted, the regkeys and DLLs should still be intact. Although I wonder how many DLLs and regkeys a program like mspaint would need anyway...

But the problem for the TS is solved anyway.
Flakky
Paint does not contain registry keys except to remember which files it has opened lately and will be saved but paint will work without it. Try E-Mailing MS to ask for the program and you might get it back.
carlospro7
I don't know why you would want MS Paint back in your computer. It's not an essential component, and I'm sure there are much better programs than paint. I would just search for an alternative.
dz9c
carlospro7 wrote:
I don't know why you would want MS Paint back in your computer. It's not an essential component, and I'm sure there are much better programs than paint. I would just search for an alternative.

yes but he wants a crappy program like paint so give em what he wants. nhes used to paint i guess
OS Master
MS Paint is useful for minor projects, like drawing a circle. Very Happy
Anyways, the problem is solved. That's all that matters, right?