FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How should i move forward to learn string theory mathematica

Physicist
Can you suggest me how should i advance..?
Physics is my major subject.So no problem in physics.But what to do in math?I have almost finished linear algebra and calculus,then i will start mathematical physics,diff equatn.Then?
Tell me about topics like diff geometry,topology and books.
spam
group theory - study it till it comes out of your ears - you'll never regret it Smile spam
Bikerman
A book recommended to me by my pal NewOlder is well worth a look.
'The Road to Reality' by Roger Penrose.
It's not a text book as such - being designed to give a fairly complete overview of the cosmos and the maths involved. It's aimed at a general reader but it helps if you have some basic math (as you clearly do).
Physicist
Chris,
how did u learn string theory.Ok tell me to understand super symmetry which topics of maths r need?Just like that i want name of topics like tensor ,topology...Etc and recommended books.
Bikerman
Physicist wrote:
Chris,
how did u learn string theory.Ok tell me to understand super symmetry which topics of maths r need?Just like that i want name of topics like tensor ,topology...Etc and recommended books.

I can't give you a complete answer because I don't understand all (or even many) of the concepts in string theory myself. I have a 'layman' understanding of the theory, nothing more. The math is beyond my abilities (which is why I got the Penrose book myself).

The best and most useful advice I can give is to talk to those who know much more than I about the subject. To that end I can suggest a visit to the science forums in the UK (link below) which is inhabited by many 'proper' scientists who will be able to give you detailed and, more importantly, accurate suggestions for further study.
http://sciencefile.org/forums
Liambaby
You should advance diagonally. Like a bishop. Sneaky buggers.
Physicist
I have got an outline for maths at
www.superstringtheory.com.
Just go 2 mathematics.U got it!
Its almost graduation in maths!But i will try learn step by step.Every year one or two subject...A...A..