FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Some Carnivorous Plant photos

miacps
Heres a couple of photos of some of the plants in my collection.

D. auriculata.

An unusually thick, bushy D. auriculata.

S. minor.

N. ventricosa.

Ants, its whats for dinner.

R. dentata - Heuningvlei, South Africa. This one is considered semi-carnivorous. Without its symbiotic capsid bugs, its unable to get nutrients from the many insects it catches.

This plant literally drools! S. rubra ssp. gulfensis - Yellow River FL.

One of my baby seed grown Cephalotus.

Thats all folks. Smile
jylan
Wow, I never thought that carnivorous plants could be so interesting! Nice pictures. Smile
SGbilder
Really nice plants you got there! And fine photos!
My plants don't live for that long, so once in a while a go to the plant store and by new one.. Why can't they live without water? =) Confused
vinx_18
I love your photos. What camera did you use? It was so fine and clear. Lastly, I hate those kind of plants before but after I've seen your pictures I began to appreciate it.
miacps
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Smile

vinx_18 wrote:
What camera did you use?

All these pics were taken with a Nikon Coolpix 4100.
miacps
Heres a few more Nepenthes photos, taken today.

N. fusca - Sarawak. Biggest pitcher ever on this plant!

N. rafflesiana.

N. x ventrata upper pitcher. I love that yellow peristome! Smile
natem
Wow, I can never get such clear pics with my mom's Nikon, they always end up blurry. I used to have a venus flytrap, but I think I overfed it because it died....
WallBase
Very nice Photos. I Love plants, and i like the auriculata ifs its that? hehe
my granmother is it important that the garden is full of flowers.. bah:
Very Happy Very Happy
mostwanted
where do you buy plants like this? and how much do they cost?
scimitarmoon
Nice photos and awesome plants. Carnivorous plants are so interesting, and often very cool to look at. It's amazing what nature can do.
HollyChris
WOW!!! I never knew carnivorous plants were so prety. Those were some great pictures. I thumb is so black that I don't even atempt to keep plants on the house. And the only reason I have some outside is because they came with the house.
.ZR.
Those are amazing pictures, and amazing plants.
Do the plants actually have to eat bugs to survive? And if they do; do you feed them or do they.. er.. would it be considered hunting? xD;; On their own?
miacps
Hey guys Smile ,

mostwanted wrote:
where do you buy plants like this? and how much do they cost?

Theres quite a few nurseries that sell them online. If you're lucky you might live next to a CP nursery. Cost is of course dependant on the size and rarity of the plant but you can get some pretty nice common ones for cheap!

.ZR. wrote:
Do the plants actually have to eat bugs to survive? And if they do; do you feed them or do they.. er.. would it be considered hunting? xD;; On their own?

Like all plants, their main source of energy is from the sun. I have all my plants outside so they catch plenty of food, though they can survive without it. The ones that manage to catch the most insects are always the ones that grow the fastest and biggest though! Smile
jayrelle
Wow, nice plants! I really want to plant them but unfortunately I'm not planting flowers is not my field.. What are your secrets? Very Happy
secondeye
hey Nice collection Of Pictures As being a student Of Biology So think to put Some More Knowledge Abut these Kind Of Plants Wink Well carnivorous plants do include predatory species that trap, kill and digest animal victims, none of them are "man-eating." Contrary to some sci-fi movies, there are no carnivorous plants capable of trapping people. Some tropical pitcher plants may be large enough to trap small amphibians, but generally their diet is chiefly insects.

the Picture below Is the worlds Largest Carnivore Plant

On August 2, 1999 an Amorphophallus titanum achieved full bloom at the Huntington Botanic Garden in San Marino, California. This was only the 11th recorded bloom in the United States and the first ever in California. Equally astonishing was the number of people who came to visit this magnificent plant on the peak day of its blooming period, over 10,000 admirers. They waited patiently in a long line in 80-90 degree heat, a line that at one time extended the length of two football fields (or about 200 meters). Some people wore protective nose masks, and one boy even wore a gas mask. Actually, no one was overcome by the stench (the plant was roped off to prevent people from getting their faces too close to the funnel-shaped spathe).

THanks Wink
miacps
Yo!

jayrelle wrote:
Wow, nice plants! I really want to plant them but unfortunately I'm not planting flowers is not my field.. What are your secrets? Very Happy

Once you understand what certain species experience in their natural habitat all you really have to do is try to mimic that habitat as best as possible, though there are some general rules that apply to most if not all Carnivorous Plants.

1.) They hate tap water so only water them with rain water or distilled.

2.) Most love a lot of sunlight.

3.) and most need soil that is verrrry low in minerals and nutrients, most prefer it to be acidic too, aka a peat moss/perlite mix with no added fertilizers.

btw, nice pics, secondeye!

I just wanted to say though that the Corpse Flower(Amorphphallus titanum) is not Carnivorous. Its the largest flower in the world rather than the largest CP.

It is a really cool plant. If I had the space/resources I'd love to grow this or a related species. I can just imagine it blooming one day and having my neighbors walk outside wondering what was stinking up the yard! Razz

Also, unless this is your site: http://waynesword.palomar.edu/carnivor.htm you probably shouldn't be linking from them and plagarism isn't exactly nice.

If you're going to plagarize for points, you could probably do a little better than that.. Wink
jasmine
Wow! These are pretty amazing! I love them!
bluezone
Wow.. GHreat coarnivor guys, I haven't Seen that kind of plants before, U Guys Give me great Knowledge HEHEHE Laughing
jasmine
I'm just glad there aren't gigantic ones that could eat humans. (Eeeep!)
miacps
Thanks! Wink

jasmine wrote:
I'm just glad there aren't gigantic ones that could eat humans. (Eeeep!)

You and me both! Razz
miacps
Heres some macro shots of a certain variety of Drosera indica.

New leaves unfurling

The buds which show the strange red glands that makes this variety unique

Flower bud with glands
azbuky
I've always wanted carnivorous plants! I think the way they feed themselves is awsome! Where did you get yours?
miacps
Mostly from online specialty nurseries or from seed from the ICPS seedbank. Heres a link: http://carnivorousplants.org/

The ICPS seedbank is a good deal if you like growing from seed. After becoming a member (I think membership costs $25 per year), you can get packets of seed from the seedbank at a very cheap price, not to mention you also receive the CPN (Carnivorous Plant Newsletter) every few months. You'll also be supporting an organization that helps preserve wetlands and other CP habitat.

If you're looking for plants rather than seeds, search google for a good reputable nursery in your area. I also sell a limited selection of CPs so if you're in the U.S. (Hawaii and Alaska excluded) and interested, email me from the address on the contact page of my website ( http://miacps.frih.net ) and I'll let you know what plants I currently have available along with prices.
tony
wow, miacps!! i love those photos! some amazing plants you have there! my friend had a venus fly trap; i found it quite cool :p
Coffyfacemk2
they're well pretty...would love to have some in the garden, but for the fact that the idea of carnivorous plants creeps me out sooooo much.
SkinnyV
I used to love carnivorous plants and but they seem to be so hard to keep alive. At least for me. They are always impressive looking on pictures but can never achieve the same results at home...
asim
Hi buddy,

great that u got such a nice hobby... welll so do u won a farm or something like that.... nice pics.... really i wondered wether they still existed, you gave me a proof.
luzenkock
Nice sharing, keep going on ^^
macey
Those are really nice and interesting. I like learning about carnivorous plants.
miacps
Heres a few more:

This one is for all you Faunoiphiliacs out there.. Laughing

Heres a close up of a N. rafflesiana pitcher..

Later! Cool
hiquality
WOW.. these carnivorous plants are awesome... i think I'll get some Very Happy
By the way... are there any plants with some kind of teeth ??
miacps
Teeth? Well.... that all depends on what you mean by teeth. Take a look at some google images of Nepenthes hamata: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=N.+hamata&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2
Afaceinthematrix
I've only ever seen those on the discovery channel. I've always wanted to see those in the wild!
miacps
Heres some pics I took today of my Nepenthes ventricosa. Hopefully it'll flower for me some time this year!

Newest Largest pitcher.

Same.

The trio. It's really enjoying the cooler temps
cloudship
I've heard once the philosophy of the nature: the more beautiful a flower is, the more dangerous it turns out to be in the end. In the case of confronting any of those flowers in the above pics, I think I'd better run away Wink
Crinoid
Gorgeous plants!
Mine are at more modest scale:
Sarracenia seedlings:

Common Nepenthes from the supermarket:

Nepenthes and drosera seedilings:

Darlingtonia seedlings:

Drosera admirabilis seedling, cute, isn't it?

Sarracenia purpurea seedlings, already grown a little:

Real pity, that my conditions are totally unsuitable for their keeping - hot and dry.
miacps
Nice plants, Crinoid! Cool

I'm jealous, wish I could grow Darlingtonia but its just too hot around here and I don't really have any good windowsills for it..

Hot and dry huh? Do you live in the southwestern U.S.?
landed
those plants always remind me of a horror movies! lol

kidding... good luck with plants in future!
miacps
Heres some more photos.

This is Nepenthes sanguinea:

This is probably the largest pitcher its made for me so far, I keep expecting to walk outside and find a lizard in it. Unfortunately its too hot where I live for it to pitcher well most of the year and it only makes these large pitchers in winter and early spring.
miacps
Heres a 3 year old plant I grew from seed. I think its Sarracenia x moorei which is S. leucophylla x flava. It came as an accidental hybrid from a packet of seeds of S. leucophylla "Big Mouth Form" so I can only be sure of the seed parent:

Heres one of the pure S. leucophylla "Big Mouth Form" siblings:

As you can see, the hybrid is much larger than the pure sibling due to a phenomenon known as hybrid vigor.
Crinoid
Sorry, was out and didn't answered the question. My too hot and dry area is in Canada, Great lakes Very Happy .
The digging the soil and submersing the container for keeping humidity and temperature tolerable (making a micro-pond) was vetoed by family, because it had to be covered by hardware cloth fence with top, otherwise the raccoons and birds will be using it, destroying the plants.

After seeing photos about keeping them in pots on the balcony rail, tried to do the same - and young plants didn't survived their first summer outdoors. Look like they were cooked by ambient temperature, even in constantly wet substrate. And this - on the northern side. On the southern side it will happen within few days. Tell me after this about northern countries Very Happy . Even lily of the valley (Convallaria mayalis), epimedium, thyme and irish moss do not grow, the things unheard of.

But as long as seedlings and a plants from the store were on the windowsill - all was OK.

About darlingtonia: it's from the EBay seeds. I was told that they likely are from the main UK seeds supplier, known for relatively low rates of the seeds germination. In my case 2 of 5 seeds worked - not too bad. No particular cooling of the roots area, or cold watering, except shading the pot from direct southern side sun.

Will see how Sarracenia leucophylla will survive the first winter outdoors (adult plant, but a little too cold for them, one USDA zone too cold).
oskuro
wow, nice pictures. i hope never find those plants in my garden Laughing Laughing Laughing
Fake
they look beautiful

now time to google and see if they can actually swallow kittens or not
miacps
Glad you guys are enjoying the photos! Smile

Heres some pics of the first upper pitcher on my Nepenthes fusca - Sarawak:

A close up of the side(the pitcher is fuzzy to the touch):

"The angles" can also work for plants.. Wink

miacps
Heres one more. A group shot of some of my Nepenthes. Theres a total of four species and one hybrid that can be seen here:

By the way, if anyone out there grows Amorphophallus or related species, ant plants, or just about any plant that has interesting adaptations, feel free to post your pics. I'd love to see them! Cool
deanhills
Can't help but bump this thread. Has the most stunning collection of carnivorous plants. Some are photos of plants that have been cultivated by one of the Frihosters who has carnivorous plants for a hobby.
Ankhanu
I don't often thank people for bumping old threads, but, this is a pretty good one, Dean. Thanks Smile

We only have some thread leaved sundews (Drosera rotundifolia) and northern pitcher plants (Sarracenia purpurea), and I've always found the idea of carnivorous plants interesting. One of the programs we had in my last job was assessing bog nutrient levels based on pitcher plant metrics; was interesting to conduct.
deanhills
I'm not a plant expert even by the longest shot, however the bright colours and "design" are amazing. All of it of course to trap prey. Probably one of the most interesting hobbies I learned about in a long time. Smile
mk12327
This a nice little old thread. Never noticed it ever before till now. The photos are amazing, and the mere idea of collecting carnivorous plants is a totally new idea to me. Very interesting hobby indeed. Having said that, anyone know what happened to miacps? Its been years since he/she last posted photo updates.
mochipie
Uhm, wow, just looking at this thread has totally inspired me to want to raise some carnivorous plants myself. Razz

These photos are definitely amazing, and the dedication and knowledge accumulated to be able to raise all these plants into what they are... I swear I thought, while looking at these plants in my biology textbook, that they only existed in the obscure regions of the world.. never in someone's backyard. xD

I don't know if the climate where I live can support them though... there probably aren't enough bugs ^_^;
Ankhanu
mochipie wrote:
These photos are definitely amazing, and the dedication and knowledge accumulated to be able to raise all these plants into what they are... I swear I thought, while looking at these plants in my biology textbook, that they only existed in the obscure regions of the world.. never in someone's backyard. xD

I don't know if the climate where I live can support them though... there probably aren't enough bugs ^_^;

Where do you live?

They're not particularly uncommon, but they are in nutrient poor habitats (such as bogs), which aren't particularly common in many regions. I live in a region where I can go for a hike and encounter pitcher plant and sundew habitats within an hour or two in most places. Carnivory is an adaptation to acquire nitrogen, phosphorus and other nutrients that aren't in ready supply in the soil.
fuzzkaizer
very nice thread on carnivorous plants, excellent photos and a nice carnivorous garden you have there! My children are fascinated by the idea of such a garden, and myself, too, of course! thanks!
bluepig83
Okay, I understand how the pitcher plant and the venus fly trap work, but with the D. Auriculata and the R. Dentata and the D. Indica, I'm not sure exactly how they assimilate the bugs. I don't see any receptacle on them? Or they do it through the plant walls somehow?

But very interesting photos nevertheless.
darthrevan
Wow I didn't realize there were some many of the carnivorous plants around. Only thing I have ever head was a Venus flytrap though it didn't live very long. I aren't able to keep plants alive for long.