FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

more then just the one hosting plan

starfish2007
I think that there should be atlest a nother 1 or 2 plans for saymore points or somthing i bin on other sits thatofer up to 1 gb of disk space and alotmore band width if you make anuff posts and 250 mb disk and 10 gb band with there maybe cases were people need more and should beable toget it as long as theyhave a nuffpoints or dallers since theyuse that here to get itusing the money they made by posting
ocalhoun
I was thinking of this recently as well. I think many of the people who leave Frihost after being here a while do so because they have outgrown the hosting plan. Not only does this reduce Frihost's community, but it can be hard to move some websites (especially complex ones like forums, or popular ones that people are used to accessing via a ____.frih.com/net url.)

Wouldn't it be nice when one outgrows a Frihost hosting plan to be able (by posting more or paying for it) to add more space/bandwidth without having to go searching for a paid host and then moving one's website(s)?

Just posting more wouldn't be a good way to add extra space, I think. Everyone who already posted that much (such as me) would grab up the offer of free space without increasing our posting at all, while if you made the requirement stiff enough to disqualify people like me, it would promote heavy spamming from people who took the offer.

I figure the best way would be to make it possible to say, quadruple one's hosting for a monthly fee, while still requiring people who do that to post in the forums like always. Would that be such a bad thing considering the fact that it might make Frihost more profitable, as well as more satisfying to its more loyal members?
mathiaus
10GB of bandwidth is a lot! I have seen many other hosts which offer more, but what's the point? The reason most people run out is that they are highly inefficient with their sites, rather than 10GB not being enough. If more was offered, it would just in most cases, increase the waste of bandwidth.

Save bandwidth - Basic & easy methods
  • Disable hotlinking
  • Resize and compress images
  • Host images at external free image-host
  • Add ALL styles to CSS
  • Use only external style sheets
  • Save javascript to a external .js file
  • gzip pages

These alone could potentially reduce most people's bandwidth usage by anywhere near as half, maybe more depending on just how inefficient they were before.

Different plans have been discussed before. One of the things I've brought up is the complexity of management, both for staff and users. Some new members don't understand our current one plan, how would they manage with two or even more plans? (meltdown Razz)
Bondings
The current limits are rather there to prevent high resource (ram/cpu) usage than for the disk space/bandwidth itself. Besides, the bandwidth limit is rarely reached.
starfish2007
band width is probly not abig problem but space could be i meen look at other hosts that free and use the same posting idea like you do and if youcheck some of them outmost offer atlest 2 or 3 plance with diferentamounts of space and band withand they seem to be able tomanage it just fign one example is yurx.com they have 3 plans thefirst one you don't even need topost anythingonly tosign up with them the next to plans you do need i forget howmany for echone but you can chackit out your selvs i see no reasion why we could not dosomthin simluar here
garionw
starfish2007 wrote:
band width is probly not abig problem but space could be i meen look at other hosts that free and use the same posting idea like you do and if youcheck some of them outmost offer atlest 2 or 3 plance with diferentamounts of space and band withand they seem to be able tomanage it just fign one example is yurx.com they have 3 plans thefirst one you don't even need topost anythingonly tosign up with them the next to plans you do need i forget howmany for echone but you can chackit out your selvs i see no reasion why we could not dosomthin simluar here

Get Firefox, the browser you can trust (with your spelling)

Maybe there could be a basic plan without php/mysql or any of the advanced features that are aimed for people learning to make websites. The maximum amount of points could be raised to 100 or something to keep them there. Then, if they are serious about webdesign, they can upgrade their package and learn new languages.

If not, after the 100 days is up, there account goes bye bye and a zipped version of the content's gets emailed to them
Scorpio
I do think this is a good idea..
Increasing the BW is not necessary. But plans with lower BW can be introduced. As garion said, point limit can be increased and stuff, keeping the BW and the space to a minimum, like 5 gb BW and 50 mb space.

This ensures that people who probably dont want 250mb space can settle for this and also this gives more space on the server.
if you force a user with 250 mb while he uses only 10 you cannot do anything else with the remaining as that would become overselling.

By doing this you enable the creation of more accounts on your server/ Thus more users without compromising much on space and BW. But these users are normal as well and they can very well bring an equal income from ads..

So its a win win situation for you. Very Happy
hack_man_
Scorpio wrote:
I do think this is a good idea..
Increasing the BW is not necessary. But plans with lower BW can be introduced. As garion said, point limit can be increased and stuff, keeping the BW and the space to a minimum, like 5 gb BW and 50 mb space.

This ensures that people who probably dont want 250mb space can settle for this and also this gives more space on the server.
if you force a user with 250 mb while he uses only 10 you cannot do anything else with the remaining as that would become overselling.

By doing this you enable the creation of more accounts on your server/ Thus more users without compromising much on space and BW. But these users are normal as well and they can very well bring an equal income from ads..

So its a win win situation for you. Very Happy

This guy has it all well thought out doesn't he? :p

But it is true, it is logical. I don't need all that hosting space right now, I hardly use any! If there was an option to downgrade one's account, it would save space and bandwidth, as I am only experimenting with websites and doing small projects for other people and using my space as a demo/test host, it would cost less space and bandwidth per user, and generate the same ad-clicks-per-user.
pashmina
Wouldn't it be nice if this forum had a shop where we could utilize our frih$ to buy more space and bandwidth and more.. or buy a whole new hosting package..
garionw
This probably won't happen, but you could let people choose what they want:

Code:
        +--------+--------+--------+
        |   2gb  |   5gb  |  10gb  |
+-------+--------+--------+--------+
|  50mb |   .5   |   --   |   --   |
| 100mb |    1   |  1.5   |   --   |
| 200mb |  1.5   |    1   |   --   |
| 250mb |   --   |    2   |    3   |

Php/mysql/ruby/rails - add one point

It would require some drastic changes, but would give us the most flexibility
reddishblue
pashmina wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice if this forum had a shop where we could utilize our frih$ to buy more space and bandwidth and more.. or buy a whole new hosting package..

Do Not Suggest List wrote:
12) A shop to sell more Bandwidth or Space using FRIH$

Wink
Scorpio
reddishblue wrote:
pashmina wrote:

Wink

A shop is going to be difficult to code and tedious. A simple alternate plan would be enough.
hack_man_
Scorpio wrote:
reddishblue wrote:
pashmina wrote:

Wink

A shop is going to be difficult to code and tedious. A simple alternate plan would be enough.

Yeah, nothing too complicated or fancy. Just two packages is enough, you don't need that much customisation.
pashmina
Or they can be different hosting package according to the forum post count. When a user reach suppose 250+ post or 500+ post or 1000+ post he get to request an account change for the upgrades. This would be fair enough.
Marston
I think the current hosting plans are more than adequate.
garionw
Marston wrote:
I think the current hosting plans are more than adequate.

I thought there was only one Rolling Eyes
pampoon
Okay, really people. These suggestions are probably not going to be considered. Both Bondings and Mathius have replied and have posted against this.

You're all saying about the same thing to no avail, why keep pushing? Not trying to be a big meanie, but come on.

(These are just my opinions)

God bless Wink,
Pampoon
Azmo
I dont get it.. first person makes a suggestion, there are moderators replying and saying no, also giving explanation.. and people keep nugging about it?? why?

tbh, I'm very happy with what I get from frihost, ok I dont use all my space.. just hosting my personal portfolio, but at the same time.. I never need to worry about running out of space, so I can test my php scripts, databases and other websites I make w/o removing my portfolio. And when do you need more? realy? that is if you host a community or something.. or upload loads of pictures... not many people do that.. and using gif images.. you rly have to upload alot to fil out your space.

anyways.. tnx Frihost for the free hosting, I'm very happy with what I get from you just by beeing active on this nice forums you have!
Scorpio
Azmo wrote:
I dont get it.. first person makes a suggestion, there are moderators replying and saying no, also giving explanation.. and people keep nugging about it?? why?

Suggestions are for the betterment of the host. Not for personal gains. I dont mind using 250 mb and 10 gb bandwidth. I've got nothing to complain.
The ideas suggested were to increase frihost's income within the resources possessed by frihost.
Everybody, including bondings would look at ways to increase their income and us, giving tips in order to enable that is not wrong or against the law or ToS.
garionw
Azmo wrote:

And besides, Moderators are only people. While they may know more then we do, they still only have opinion's like us
pampoon
garionw wrote:
Azmo wrote:

And besides, Moderators are only people. While they may know more then we do, they still only have opinion's like us

But Bondings has the final say. He has already posted here not in favor of the suggestion. He, too, believes that the current amount on the current hosting plan is enough. Don't believe me?
Bondings wrote:
The current limits are rather there to prevent high resource (ram/cpu) usage than for the disk space/bandwidth itself. Besides, the bandwidth limit is rarely reached.

God bless Wink,
Pampoon
tidruG
Quote:
The ideas suggested were to increase frihost's income within the resources possessed by frihost.
Everybody, including bondings would look at ways to increase their income

That's not really very true as far as Frihost is concerned.
Apparently, Bondings' primary aim in creating the Frihost forums was to primarily create a wonderful online community... the free hosting is just like a sort of bonus to join the community.

And yes, we are not likely to add any more hosting plans for some time to come. There are too many issues with this. The one that Bondings mentioned is only one of the many reasons.

So, to prevent any more waste of time, I'll -lock- this topic.