FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MySQL and Perl

dayveday
Howdy,

I've been using Perl for a while, but am only just beginning to use MySQL. When looking for information about this on the web, most places recommend using the DBI Perl module. However, Frihost doesn't seem to have this module installed.

Is there another good way to use MySQL with Perl? Or is it possible to install DBI easily in my own account? Anyone with experience using Perl for this on Frihost, your help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
dayveday
Sorry, I've been searching Google and I can't find any other my (except using a perl module Mysql, which doesn't seem to be installed either).

Surely someone on Frihost is using Perl and MySQL? Shocked
kv
I think you are out of luck unless DBI is installed in frihost. Try posting a support request for DBI. Other options are to switch to php, or find a perl wrapper to call php mysql functions.
dayveday
Yeah, I will post that request. If that doesn't work out, I might have to resort to reading and writing files manually, like the good old days.

Was considering switching to php, but perl is so much nicer and I've used it a lot more. Have used php a bit, but i think perl is more powerful and flexible.
MrBlueSky
dayveday wrote:
Yeah, I will post that request. If that doesn't work out, I might have to resort to reading and writing files manually, like the good old days.

Was considering switching to php, but perl is so much nicer and I've used it a lot more. Have used php a bit, but i think perl is more powerful and flexible.

You could consider using DBM files using PERLs GDBM_File interface which is installed on Frihost.
chris20
Considered switching to php but perl is so much nicer? Php is definitely worth switching to hehe.

Anyway though, you could always make a web service type thing in php that communicates with mysql for you. So you can call it with your perl script and have it return the data for you in xml format or something.

For example... in perl you call a php script called script.php, and pass it something like this script.php?dbid=4, the script.php file would connect to the mysql db and grab some sort of information on whatever has dbid of 4 and return it in xml format or another format, which perl will then interpret.

Just an idea. Hope you figure something out though.