FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best Punk-Rock group?

Aalia
What is the best Punk-Rock group to your minde?
Grimboy
You can't say definitively. I would say each era and substyle has it's master. In the 70s it started with the New York Dolls' pioneering proto-punk the Ramones invented pop-punk and the Sex Pistols did a their brand of raw sounding punk.

In the 80's the Dead Kennedys ruled the roost (maybe black flag) being the most well known hardcore band I would say. A more speedy hardcore was lead by Minor Threat. The Misfits went off and invented their own brand of horror punk.

In the nineties it slided off into grunge mostly. The late 90's, early 00's are so recent that there is still a lot of conflict over whether bands are elitist enough to be punk. So all I'll say is although there is better stuff the most popular stuff is Green Day, Offspring, NOFX and Bad Religion. I tend to prefer stuff like Subhumans, Screeching Weasel and the Queers but whatever floats your boat.

In conclusion, it's difficult to say.
icugaming
The Smiths
ChunkyBustout
To my mind... there's a few:

Black Flag, Sex Pistols, Butthole Surfers, The Clash, The Stranglers, Suicidal Tendencies, The Vandals and The Replacements.

There are but this was off the top of my head and it was my idea of what punk rock was. The stuff now like Ok-Go and Blink 182 I don't consider punk. It's too bubble-gummy.
Caxius
good charlotte hahahaha Laughing
tidruG
Well, I'm going to be looked down upon for this... but for me, Punk Rock's finest are The Offspring and Green Day (Though GD are branching out into Contemporary/Modern Rock)

I still have to listen to a lot more of Sex Pistols and the other bands named in this thread.
Aalia
For me the Punk Rock is - Good Charlotte, All American Rejects, American Hi-Fi - Green day and Offspring.
geoff
Green Day and Good Charlotte.
tidruG
Yeah, actually, come to think of it, Good Charlotte is pretty good... though I liked the other songs better than "Girls and Boys"
Aalia
I love song - The Young And the Hopeless
Grimboy
All American Rejects are more pop-emo than punk. Good Charlotte sing in whiney voices against a generic background (which is mixed to the back). The only reason people classify them as punk is because they have mohicans. I don't mind people liking them (why should I care, really). It just annoys me that they get called punk.
Green day and Offspring are pop-punk in my opinion (that doesn't mean they're very good pop-punk). Maybe I shouldn't mind. I mean whatever you like listening to. It just seems like some people don't quite understand the genre.
Caxius
Aalia wrote:
The Young And the Hopeless

yes yes, the best!!! but others song as... girls and boys(or boys and girls... i dont know it..)... they are really funny!! hehehe
Aalia
Grimboy wrote:
All American Rejects are more pop-emo than punk. Good Charlotte sing in whiney voices against a generic background (which is mixed to the back). The only reason people classify them as punk is because they have mohicans. I don't mind people liking them (why should I care, really). It just annoys me that they get called punk.
Green day and Offspring are pop-punk in my opinion (that doesn't mean they're very good pop-punk). Maybe I shouldn't mind. I mean whatever you like listening to. It just seems like some people don't quite understand the genre.

Well you know most people doest realy understand what punk rock is. Couse in our time the meaning of it is realy mixed up. Even I can't understand sometime what is pop-punk ( like Avril ) or what is punk rock.
Aalia
Caxius wrote:
yes yes, the best!!! but others song as... girls and boys(or boys and girls... i dont know it..)... they are really funny!! hehehe

Yeah it's meking my good mood =)
I realy love too S.O.S and Emotionles the song's are sad but realy beautiful Very Happy
tidruG
The Offspring? Punk-Pop
No way!
Avril is sort of pop ("Complicated", etc etc... pretty much all the songs) with some songs having elements of Punk ("Sk8r Boi"), Good Charlotte are more Punk, less pop, but can be considered somewhat pop.
But Green Day is more like Rock ("Boulevard Of Broken Dreams", "Wake Me Up When September Ends") with a few songs being Punk ("American Idiot", "St. Jimmy") (at least, the new album is... the older albums were almost entirely Punk, especially "Dookie"), and The Offspring are defintiely too heavy to be called Pop (of any kind)... Mostly, I'd say they're Hard Rock ("Come Out Swinging" and "The End Of The Line") with more elements of Punk in a lot of songs (especially like "One Fine Day" or "Walla Walla") And ordinary Rock (for stuff like "Defy You" or "Denial, Revisited")

But honestly, Punk rock is more about the attitude of being a punk rather than Mohicans or fast-paced music. And most of the bands being named here (Green Day excluded, only because of the "American Idiot" album) still have the Punk attitude.

Now, this is not a flaming post or something condescending... just my opinion.
Aalia
But what about bands like SR-71 or 311 are they Alternative or Punk?
tidruG
Aalia wrote:
But what about bands like SR-71 or 311 are they Alternative or Punk?

I'm not going to be able to offer a proper opinion on this... Haven't heard much of their music... but what couple of songs I have heard of 311, they sounded like a harder, heavier, version of conventional Rap-Metal to me... but like I said, I haven't heard much music from these bands, so do excuse my ignorance of these bands.
taintedxhorizon
mmm. alternative, i love alternative. also bands like green day are really good.
Aalia
Does sombody know some songs like Good Charlotte's - Emotionles or All American Rejects - I can't take it, or even Matchbox Twenty - Deasis?
lpbrasil
New Found Glory, Blink 182 and The All Americans Rejcts in my opnion is the best Punk rock band but i like, 311 and Green Day too.
icugaming
None of these new bands like Good Charlotte, All American Rejects, Blink 182, etc ARE NOT PUNK-ROCK BANDS. They can be classified properly as emo or power-pop.

Punk-rock is stuff like The Smiths, The Clash, Sex Pistols... stuff like that from the 80s. That was the true punk-rock movement. All of this other crap mentioned above is the post-punk movement.
shr3dd
offspring pop punk lol wow. listen to "bad habit" and say thats pop or punk. good charlotte sucks, punk is quite annoying to me. i used to listen to it a great deal so i know what im talking about. i still listen to some popular "punk" stuff because my friends play it in their car, and i cant tell when it goes to the next song. it all sounds pretty much the same. its terrible in my opinion.

OFFSPRING IS HARD ROCK DAMMIT lol
tidruG
shr3dd wrote:
OFFSPRING IS HARD ROCK DAMMIT lol

Ah finally... one thing I totally agree with you about.
diablera
Well, definitely I like Greenday, but I wouldn't considere them as 'real punk'. Good Charlotte and some other american and canadian 'punky stuff' has more to do with pop. But well, I'd say my fave punk bands are:

The Sex Pistols
The Jam
Bad Religion (some stuff)
Dead Kennedys
The Ramones
MC5
The Clash
Buzzcocks
GG Allin
...and the list goes...

Cheers! Rolling Eyes
Zibé
I prefer HxC, or grind, but I listen some punk bands
To me, one of the best bands is Pennywise.
But in france we have some really good bands of punk
like Tagada Jones ( www.tagadajones.com ).
Listen some music of this band, it's great ( but lyrics are in French )...
shr3dd
[code="tidrug"]Ah finally... one thing I totally agree with you about.[/code] lol i know right... we agree on other things, like terrorists are bad and so is 50 cent
tidruG
shr3dd wrote:
[code="tidrug"]Ah finally... one thing I totally agree with you about.[/code] lol i know right... we agree on other things, like terrorists are bad and so is 50 cent

Terrorists are definitely bad, but 50 Cent is debatable Razz But most of the other rappers out there are crap (That's my opinion) (Oh, and we both don;t like the Hip-Hop movement either, so...)
Web-Gazda
Bad Religion
Oi Polloi
Blood for Blood
that's it.
djsamsung
gonna go with Rancid, Green Day, and Blink-182. i mean the old blink and green day when they weren't into contemporary/modern rock. they're not considered punk-rock now but they always make rad music. Wink
johnnycake
Aalia wrote:
Does sombody know some songs like Good Charlotte's - Emotionles or All American Rejects - I can't take it, or even Matchbox Twenty - Deasis?

I like those songs
matchbox 20 and all american aren't really that punk though, I don't think

I'm more into green day and the offspring myself
achene
Uhm. I listened alot to Bad Religion once, they are pretty good for a punk rock band. Most modern punk/whatever bands aren't actually my style.
Jayfarer
Bad Religion.

Honorable mentions to Minor Threat, The Clash and X.
truth16
Aalia wrote:
For me the Punk Rock is - Good Charlotte, All American Rejects, American Hi-Fi - Green day and Offspring.

you asked for punk rock bands and you named some pop rock bands?

allot of you need to learn what punk is, punk is not a flashy avatar your download, its not some love sick boy band and its not in the hot 30.

punk is about, plainly and simply, stickin it to the man, as cheezy as that sounds, punk is about educating people getting the word out that authority figures are wrong, corupt and are feading off the inocent.

many claim that punk is dead, i dont think it is... there are many bands today that are activist bands or are speaking up. One pretty well known band like that would be rise against, although even still, allot of people would claim theyre still not true "punk"...

punk is dirty and greasy, its loud and fast. not pop Mad

peace out.
djsamsung
how bout Anti-Flag?
Web-Gazda
truth16 wrote:
Aalia wrote:

you asked for punk rock bands and you named some pop rock bands?

allot of you need to learn what punk is, punk is not a flashy avatar your download, its not some love sick boy band and its not in the hot 30.

punk is about, plainly and simply, stickin it to the man, as cheezy as that sounds, punk is about educating people getting the word out that authority figures are wrong, corupt and are feading off the inocent.

many claim that punk is dead, i dont think it is... there are many bands today that are activist bands or are speaking up. One pretty well known band like that would be rise against, although even still, allot of people would claim theyre still not true "punk"...

punk is dirty and greasy, its loud and fast. not pop Mad

peace out.

Well I think, if you look the punk through bands that represent it, there is not much place for "real" punk here. The true punk bands are the bands that didn't wannt to sell-out, that remained underground. They can be famous, but not popular. For instance, our local bands aren't bad, actually there are some that could be very popular. But, in my country, you can't live from music even if you want to. Wink
Nevermind, i got out of the subject. What I wanted to say is that you can't put local or undiscovered bands on the forum. You can, but it won't make sense. I know that (almost) everyone who read this topic knows who Bad Religion are, so that's why I said Bad Religion instead of, for instance Pasi.
Anyone heard of Pasi? No? I'm not surprised. I would be if someone answers positively. Shocked
Bourgondier
Sum 41

Death to Greenday!
Hammy
Lol i agree. greenday got boring lol, they had one good song and thought there were the best.

Bad religion...
Panic! At The Disco
Bowling For Soup
tench
taking back sunday and blink 182
i disgust greenday Evil or Very Mad
djsamsung
tench wrote:
taking back sunday and blink 182
i disgust greenday Evil or Very Mad

yay! u go dude Razz
hazaramat
people who know what punk really is wrote:
Offspring is no punk but power pop
One more post to back up this point of view -which is not point of view but knowledge.

Bands I would qualify as punk (thats to say with punk attitude and playing punk sound) are:
- the New York Dolls (dismissed - revival album soon or already released, according to what I heard- probably crappy)
- Suicide (dismissed I guess)
- the Ex (still alive and active)

and more recently:
- the Georges Leningrad (external link)
- captured by robots (external link)
-melt banana (external link)

among others (but these are good).

My opinion:
No matter what kind of music (until there is low-fi electric guitar and dummy drums), punk is an attitude towards art: "art is easy" stuff, playing low-fi, dusty, dirty and dummy without complex. That's why Offspring (and others like greenday I guess, which I don't know well), who plays academically and quite clean, don't belong to this genre. No offense.

PS. I mainly refer to Noise as qualifiable as (possible to call) punk, you can blame me for that, I would agree, and would enjoy discussing it.
Web-Gazda
I agree about the noise. About the 'academic' bands... That's sensitive topic. I think, if you are an artist, and your idea is to play clean, you will and should be improving, trying to sound cleaner, better etc. What is the problem with bands like Offspring? Their problem is that they don't play music they would like to.
Let me explain: When they (or any other band) started, they had ideals, they wanted to change the world, make the diffuference. With time, after a lot of dissapointments they were (more or less) to brake apart. Then we have crew changes, members come and go and...
At the end, they sign a contract, and they are just marionettes in hands of mighty corporation. Their manager tells them what to play and what not to play, their music is transforming from art to product. First album, second... Popularity grows and they become a definition for punk (Clash?).
On the other side there are DIY bands, thet stay true until they break apart or die Sad
Those bands mostly play dirty music, noise, grind, or something else (even though there ARE a lot of 'academic' bands in the DIY scene). Those men (women) are true artists, and theu usually don't stop on the band; they publish books, fanzines drawings comics...
I haven't heard of worldwide popular noise band, and everybody that listened to Japanese noise bands knows that they should be. When I say worldwide popular, I mean mainstream popular, not underground.
So, the summary would be: it doesn't matter what kind of music you like/play, it only matters are you an artist or a marionette. Twisted Evil
hazaramat
Web-Gazda wrote:
I agree about the noise. About the 'academic' bands... That's sensitive topic. I think, if you are an artist, and your idea is to play clean, you will and should be improving, trying to sound cleaner, better etc. What is the problem with bands like Offspring? Their problem is that they don't play music they would like to.

Thank you for these precisions and complements, with which I mainly agree. To keep on seeking truth about punk music and academism:

-by "academism" I don't mean "playing clean" I mean: staying bounded into academic (which means "accepted as a paradigm" or something like that to me) rules. For example: ska's rhytmic guitar on beats 2 and 4 [counter beat is correct in english?] and playing chords that fit together [A-E-D or such]. Or jazz: playing in the scale
[from which I deduce: it is not improvisation, but it's not the topic here]

-then: playing clean obviously can be an artistic prejudice (as any artistic choice or "idea" till it is conscious and / or coherent to your global style). I don't mean to discuss that choice, just to say: it's not punk.

-then: I think you got the point when you say:
Web-Gazda wrote:
Their problem is that they don't play music they would like to.
Indeed. Maybe they want to be punk (I dunno, but let's say that), so they play same style as punk bands (I still dunno, but let's still say that): they play a E after a A, with this amount of distortion, and that tempo, etc. They only consider the content point of view - not the form. I mean, the approach.
They don't play music they would like to; they just reproduce the result of other group's approaches to the genre. Which is not a result by itself.
No approach, no result, no art.

NOTE I don't think the "mighty corporation" stuff is relevant. There is no conspiracy of big capitalists who would try to keep punk at the level of Offspring. A group does what it wants, remain "DYI" or not. It can also be a conscious and chosen approach!!
jennahenrywagner
Classic bands like the Clash and The Ramones are definitely at the top of my list, but I'll always love Rancid (Matt Freeman is the best bass player to ever live), and of course, where they started off, OpIvy.
patrick9480
Bad Religion in my opinion are by far the best of any punk band because they are definitely in the punk category and more simply they have the best tunes
molif
i will say blink 182....

the old blink 182...
punk as hell..
DaniDarko
ick green day are annoying. even though theyve been around for years, theyve always annoyed me. since im more into powerpop, indie, and the like, i cant elaborate on this.

but, the classics are sex pistols, the clash and ramones. definitely.

i wonder which band out there today will become the next ramones or something. that will be interesting to see happen...any nominations?
hazaramat
DaniDarko wrote:
i wonder which band out there today will become the next ramones or something. that will be interesting to see happen...any nominations?

Once again:

- MeltBanana!!
- the Georges Leningrad!! (see above for links and details, previous post)

but I'm afraid we won't ever again see happen things like the Ramones, or the Clash... This kind of large diffusion, I mean real punk groups widely accessibles, heard on the radio, big advertizing, I mean punk groups who manage to REMAIN in the industrial music system AND stay punk, all this is no more possible.

Industrial system of music (same for cinema), entertainment production, has become so radical that artistic music (not industrial) has to "hide" in the underground. I doubt any good punk group starting now could find a producer who propose them large diffusion AND staying themselves.
Till the 80's, it was possible to hear good music in the radio, in big concerts, I mean in large diffusion circuits (led zep, stones, doors), but now: no more.

This part of music history is over. Let's just forget it, turn off T.V. and radio, and keep searching the music where it hides!!
BabsUlvaWho?
Hey, I love Green Day, but they were only Punk back during Smoothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk!...since then they've been rock...maybe pop/punk...
There are too many people here claiming they are punk.

And I hate all those idiotic idiots who go around claiming they are Green Day fans when they haven't even heard Dookie...

Punk rock originated in ENGLAND, so the Sex Pistols (I think) would be logically the best punk rock band.
arclight
welll for me its green day.
Izar
Relient K, MxPx, Stellar Kart, Run Kid Run (Pop Punk/alternative mix).

I never found intrest in Bad Religion or Green Day. Green Day is overplayed, and Bad Religion makes themselves out to be the best with their "I'm Right, you're Wrong" additude (A friend noted that during a concert he went to).

The Clash, The Ramones, Blink 182 are decent, though I don't know why, but I hate Blink 182's lyrics. Travis Barker is an EXCELLENT drummer though. The Ramones are pretty good, though I don't listen to them alot.

Good Charlotte, All American Rejects, ARE considered Punk Rock, with Pop mixes (called Pop Punk *shivers*). I hate them both though. Very Happy Good Charlotte is actually not consiered Emo (they're beats aren't Emo-style).

Bowling For Soup... They have catchy beats, but I hate their lyrics too. Panic! At The Disco is one of my sister's favorites, though I've heard only one of their songs.

I've heard one Taking Back Sunday Song... It was decent... Not my kind of punk though...

NOTe: One reason, besides the overplaying, dumb lyrics, annoying beats, etc that I hate Green Day... People seem to like them because everyone else does. Like in my school, I'm sure elsewhere too, people only liked Green Day because it got Popular.

Green Day = Gag reflex