FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my new personal site

bjwok
Hi folks,

My site has had a COMPLETE make over and now looks a little something like this:

http://www.bjwok.frih.net/

be keen to hear the general consensus in terms of functionality, layout, content etc etc...

cheers in advance
_AVG_
It is a very simple, proportionate and good-looking site. Cheers Very Happy
b4r4t
Simple, clean, colors are ok ...
Big + for DIV's + CSS

But, check it in validator ... 4 errors Smile 2-4 min and You will get 100% valid site ... it's always a satisfaction Smile

But one thing ... 200KB for background image ... INSANE! Image of this size can be 30kb and still look realy nice ... optimize web graphic ...
I have 1Mbit, but there is lot of people who have 128/256kbps ... remember that Smile
apple
Hi,
I just checked out your site and it's neat and easy to navigate.
I got one question tho, why is there that big empty space at the top of the page? Or is it my browser? I use FF.

apple
bjwok
hi b4r4t,

yep, for some reason i left those background images as jpgs! i was fully aware that i should make them gifs and had the plan to do it, but never actually did it! will fix tonight...

the validator you are talking about, it that the one at the W3C site?

hi apple,

the site should be proportionate and the content should sit in the middle of the page. i have checked it on various machines and it previews fine on all, what resolution are you viewing your monitor at?
apple
hey,
you're right, I had to reboot and not it's just fine.

apple
b4r4t
bjwok wrote:
hi b4r4t,
yep, for some reason i left those background images as jpgs! i was fully aware that i should make them gifs and had the plan to do it, but never actually did it! will fix tonight...

the validator you are talking about, it that the one at the W3C site?

Leave it as JPGS ... just optimize them Smile Gifs for such images is not a good IDEA Smile

Look - 33kb

And about validator - YES W3C Smile
bjwok
nice idea, don't know why i didn't think of the same! will do this tonight (okay so it is tonight now, but i will do it after i chill for a bit!)
bjwok
ok, all done - thanks for the tip champ.

as for the validating, i fixed a few things and there are still a number of "issues" but i think i will leave it at that for the time being...

cheers again Smile
GB
Wow! What a difference! I remember your last website, and this is way better!

I love the modern look, colors and interesting photos.

I only found one thing I would change and that is the links page where the little scroll box is slightly too small to hold the link images. As a result, it scrolls horizontally.

Great job on the redesign. I think the usability is fine for the scope of this site and the design is outstanding!
bjwok
thanks gb,

yeah that old site was "just a little" on the dated side of things! cheers for the nice words man, i appreciate it.

i am wondering what browser you are using to experience those horizontal scrolling issues? i have checked it in firefox, netscape and safari (all on mac) but as yet haven't viewed it on a pc with explorer?

cheers again
Hobbit
It looks WAY better than before. Didn't your last design win the layout contest?
bjwok
yeah it did win layout contest actually!

the irony of it!

let's run another competition on say, css & layout? (cheeky)
irishmark
Looks great dude - i love all the imagery and the layout. If anything I'd maybe use a point size lower for the font in the main copy.

I saw that in the links section there is some horizontal scrolling (in ie).

All in all - really nice.
bjwok
thanks man.

i might stick with that font size, my mum gets on my site regularly and her pet hate is when fonts are too small! gotta keep the mum happy! Smile

and yeah, i check on the pc with explorer also and the horizontal scaling this will be fixed tonight...
bjwok
thanks guys,

i have fixed the horizontal scrolling issue, can you guys check it out for me?

cheers in advance
dayveday
Wow, looks absolutely fantastic to me! Razz
So clean and elegant... great job!
bjwok
thanks champ!

nice to see a fellow syd frihoster too Smile
ncwdavid
Love it. Very very nice and simple. I like simple sites that load quickly liek yours. The colors are great too and it all really blends together. Goodluck with it.
bjwok
thanks man, i like that my site appears smallish, but when you dig around you find there to be a truck load of content in there (4 years worth infact!)

cheers man
tempdbs
www.sanghala.com

apple wrote:
Hi,
I just checked out your site and it's neat and easy to navigate.
I got one question tho, why is there that big empty space at the top of the page? Or is it my browser? I use FF.

apple

Hey,

The page looks very nice and easily navigated, but as he told there is a lot of page that has been wasted at top & bottom.
Please adjust according to your web page and it will be more attractive...
Nice work ... proceed and keep it up....

Bye
{name here}
Thumbs up, kind sir! Thumbs up!
bjwok
thanks guys.

and just to clarify, the space above and below issue is dependent on how you scale your browser window... Smile