FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Valuable information about eBay?

tempdbs
Quote:
What is Ebay?
The online auction web site was founded in San Jose, California on September 3, 1995 by computer programmer Pierre Omidyar as AuctionWeb, part of a larger personal site that included, among other things, Omidyar's own tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Ebola virus.

The very first item sold on eBay was a broken laser pointer for $14.83. Astonished, he contacted the winning bidder and asked if he understood that the laser pointer was broken. In his responding email, the buyer explained: "I'm a collector of broken laser pointers." The frequently repeated story that eBay was founded to help Omidyar's fiancée trade PEZ Candy dispensers was fabricated by a public relations manager in 1997 to interest the media. This was revealed in Adam Cohen's 2002 book and confirmed by eBay.

Chris Agarpao was hired as eBay's first employee and Jeff Skoll was hired as the first president of the company in 1996. In November 1996, eBay entered into its first third-party licensing deal, with a company called Electronic Travel Auction to use SmartMarket Technology to sell plane tickets and other travel products. The company officially changed the name of its service from AuctionWeb to eBay in September 1997. Originally, the site belonged to Echo Bay Technology Group, Omidyar's consulting firm. Omidyar had tried to register the domain name EchoBay.com but found it already taken by the Echo Bay Mines, a gold mining company, so he shortened it to his second choice, www.ebay.com.

Items and services:

Millions of collectibles, appliances, computers, furniture, equipment, vehicles, and other miscellaneous items are listed, bought, and sold daily. In 2004, eBay launched its Business & Industrial category, breaking into the industrial surplus business. Some items are rare and valuable, while many others are dusty gizmos that would have been discarded if not for the thousands of eager bidders worldwide. Anything can be sold as long as it is not illegal or does not violate the eBay Prohibited and Restricted Items policy. Services and intangibles can be sold too. Large international companies, such as IBM, sell their newest products and offer services on eBay using competitive auctions and fixed-priced storefronts. Regional searches of the database make shipping slightly faster and cheaper. Software developers can create applications that integrate with eBay through the eBay API by joining the eBay Developers Program. As of June 2005, there were over 15,000 members in the eBay Developers Program, comprising a broad range of companies creating software applications to support eBay buyers and sellers as well as eBay Affiliates

Anybody having information, please share with me.
Arnie
I assume you got this from Wikipedia, judging by the [2] which indicates the source of the text.

Would be nice if you included your source, too.
tempdbs
Arnie wrote:
I assume you got this from Wikipedia, judging by the [2] which indicates the source of the text.

Would be nice if you included your source, too.

Dear Arnie Cool ,

Still I am getting all the information on eBAy as I am very much intrested in on-line shopping & auctions.

If you have some stuff regarding this, Add it over here.
Bye Shame on you
Arnie
Well, at least now you (sort of) mentioned your source... Wink
fbcompany
ebay is one of the largest black markets on earth.
Arnie
Could you elaborate on that?
jmwarshay
What sort of information do you want on ebay? Are you wondering how it really works? Are you looking to buy something and wonder whether you will lose your money? Do you want to sell something and wonder how to go about listing your products? Do you have questions regarding who the actual users are? Please be more specific so the forum users can assist you.
tempdbs
fbcompany wrote:
ebay is one of the largest black markets on earth.

Hi friend,

What it mean actually ???

Can you explain your post in a better fashion please !!!!
bogger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EBay

Ebay is like a car boot sale, digitised and then enlarged so as to create economics of scale

Please ask us direct questions instead of vague ones, it's like asking why?
jmwarshay
Perhaps the original poster was just trying to generate points to keep a free web page. However, I have no problems discussing my experiences with ebay.

I have purchased several items on ebay. I had one item that did not work properly and the seller refunded what I paid. I have purchased many other items on ebay and have been satisfied, including the laptop I am using now to post this message. I investigate to find out the going rate and bid accordingly. I have sold one thing on ebay and got a decent price as well.

I did buy a scanner that went bad, but I paid for the warranty with it and got my money back as well. I pay through PayPal, which offers some protection. In general, I have been satisfied with my purchases. I especially found it useful for replacement cell phones (used) so I did not have to extend plans or pay outrageous prices for new ones not associated with extending plans.

Like anything else, one needs to be careful and knowledgeable about the items being purchased or sold. Remember the old adage about something being too good to be true when using ebay.
tempdbs
jmwarshay wrote:

I have purchased several items on ebay. I had one item that did not work properly and the seller refunded what I paid.

This is what I wanna to get ??

Is this possible, i.e., Refund of the Amount if you are not satisfied with the product.

Recently I purchased a Digi cam which now creating some problems.

Please let me know how you did this??

jmwarshay wrote:

I did buy a scanner that went bad, but I paid for the warranty with it and got my money back as well. I pay through PayPal, which offers some protection.

By paying through Paypal --
Please let me know the procedure is correct or not ? --->

Make a Paypal Account.
    Trf of amount from Credit card to Paypal account
    Then purchase the goods from the account.
Manus et Therion
tempdbs wrote:
jmwarshay wrote:

I have purchased several items on ebay. I had one item that did not work properly and the seller refunded what I paid.

This is what I wanna to get ??

Is this possible, i.e., Refund of the Amount if you are not satisfied with the product.

Recently I purchased a Digi cam which now creating some problems.

Please let me know how you did this??

jmwarshay wrote:

I did buy a scanner that went bad, but I paid for the warranty with it and got my money back as well. I pay through PayPal, which offers some protection.

By paying through Paypal --
Please let me know the procedure is correct or not ? --->

Make a Paypal Account.
    Trf of amount from Credit card to Paypal account
    Then purchase the goods from the account.

Some sellers do not offer refunds - it often depends on the type of product and so I would venture a guess that your product comes with a refund policy. You have to contact the seller or go to the seller's page to learn this for sure.

The procedure you describe is correct if you want to use PayPal to purchase eBay bids. Some sellers only accept PayPal, so having a PayPal account is a good idea if you intend to make further purchases on eBay.

Asking this group about policy and proceedures for eBay is like going into your local movie theatre to ask how to make a Whopper Sandwich. Why don't you go to eBay with these questions?

My experience with eBay as both a buy and seller has always been good. I use PayPal, but that's how I make most of my money any way (PayPal).
tempdbs
Manus et Therion wrote:
Some sellers do not offer refunds - it often depends on the type of product and so I would venture a guess that your product comes with a refund policy. You have to contact the seller or go to the seller's page to learn this for sure.

The procedure you describe is correct if you want to use PayPal to purchase eBay bids. Some sellers only accept PayPal, so having a PayPal account is a good idea if you intend to make further purchases on eBay.

Can you please tell me the procedure to get back (refund) the money, i.e., What are all the steps to be followed to get refunded ?

Manus et Therion wrote:
Asking this group about policy and proceedures for eBay is like going into your local movie theatre to ask how to make a Whopper Sandwich. Why don't you go to eBay with these questions?

I can go for Ebay but here we are not having access to "Ebay" to surf, according to our company policies.