FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do u like in OPERA ?

loosu
Opera users , list the best feature , you like in OPERA .
The fastest browser , with loads of features but really small and efficient .
WickedGravity
While I do not feel it is the best browser available, a few of the things I liek about Opera are the community that is supporting it and the sleekness of the design, especially the Linux port of it.

That's my two cents at least.
Commando_Sondre
The speed, all the nice features (IRC, mail, widgets, contacts), a very nice design and the voice function (can't live without it).
corey
I like the speed that Opera renders pages. I think that the tabs are best in Opera. However, that's about it. I use it once in a while, but other browsers more often.
Psycho_X52
I like the voice support...you can even give it a name:
"-Bob/John/Cindy/Opera/Mamalitchky, go home!" (or new page/new window, help, quit application) it's cool.
It has some cool widgets, like bittorrent (you don't need the bittorrent client)
It is the saftest browser.
Arnie
It is way less of a resource hog than Firefox, it doesn't have a stupid cult like Firefox, but it's still a good alternative to IE that (kind of) eliminates the annoyance of being nagged on forums and even websites* that you are an idiot to use IE.

* I mean the ads like on driverguide, that say "we detected you use IE. you must use Firefox now!" I mean come on, mind your own business will you!

Besides that, it supports all the latest web features (unlike IE6SP1 for example) and still runs on Windows 98 and 2000.
kiranaghor
I used it a lot when Firefox did not have close button on each tab. My girlfriend's dad uses Opera a lot. He never closes any tab and when he relaunches the browser, all the webpages are there only! I think firefox also supports this kind of feature now but Opera was pioneer. Opera has great looks and has embedded email feature which is equally handy. Finally, the community rocks!
AOP Web Development
i like opera you can use it to download torrent files
Arnie
Version 9.20 is out now.
Tex_Arcana
There are two things I really like about Opera.

1) you can close down Opera without closing the tabs and when you go back everything is just like you left it. This feature is super handy when reading scanilations online.

2) you don't have to just resize text you can resize the entire page including graphics, and even java applets. I like zooming in on the parts of a page that I want to see and be able to have things like adds zoomed off the screen.

THe best thing they ever did was make Opera free without the adds.
welshsteve
Firefox remains my browser of choice, but I do very much like the "clean" layout of Opera, and the speed it renders pages.
{name here}
I simply like opera because of its operation - I don't like how Firefox or IE handle their layouts nor do I like their slower startup times on my machine.
Srs2388
I am just now using Opera and I love it... I quit using firefox because it deted my favorites for the 10th+ time and then it gave me the glitch that firefox was already running and I had to make a new profile and got my favorites back again... deleted on the next run.
I am like it so far... but I miss the spell checker thing.
PseudoKnight
It would be better to ask me what I don't like about Opera. That is it's poor website developer support (support Opera in your sites, people!) and non-extensibility. (though it does make up for this for the most part in customizability) Everything else about Opera is cake. I love it to death that it's painful to have to load a page in FireFox or IE on certain sites. (luckily, with an easy customization I can load up FF or IE on the current page automatically with a simple click)
infobankr
I like that opera has url specific username and password saving as opposed to entire domains, like camino. Even with that, I still like camino better.
ThePolemistis
i like the speed it takes to go back.. it goes to the previous page instantly with no delay... unlike IE

it has the best cache system in the world Razz
driftingfe3s
I like Opera's speed. I also like the fact that most of the things I need in a browser is already built in. Where as in Firefox you have to d/l extensions and configure them, etc. Then when new versions of Firefox come out, they may not be compatable so you wait for new versions of the extenions then have to go through the trouble of configuring everyhting again.
outofnicks
I tried it for the first time on Linux after seeing this thread and I like it quite much. Seems like a breath of fresh air compared to other browsers, even Firefox which I have been swearing by.
I just tried out the mail feature, I'm quite impressed. Neat to have your inbox in an adjacent tab, just as if it were another website.
I'm a bit bothered by the lack of a bottom status bar, but can probably get used to it. Possibly my most liked feature is the mouse actions--Go back with a right-click and a left swoop of the mouse Razz
It may take some time to decide whether it's better than Firefox however.
PseudoKnight
Quote:
I'm a bit bothered by the lack of a bottom status bar
There is a status bar. Perhaps you have it turned off. Right-click anywhere with buttons (like the tab bar or the address bar) and select "customize". Here you can turn on/off and move the status bar.

What makes Opera even cooler is that it has a progress bar.
Asperud
Commando_Sondre wrote:
The speed, all the nice features (IRC, mail, widgets, contacts), a very nice design and the voice function (can't live without it).

I agree, i dont like the looks. And its hard to use as a new browser. It's diffrent from other browsers. Like web sites, you cant place links wherever you want. You have to place them a place where the user expect it to be. Like
if you place it on the right side you will feel that its something wrong with it.
I have the same feeling about opera. And that its hard to use, erm not hard, but to diffrent.
internetjobs
it is exactly showing how much data downloaded. and speed of the internet..

built in search engines.. good graphics. high speed reliable browsers
b4r4t
For me Opera is just one of three Smile
I prefer Firefox, but Opera is 2nd, because in my opinion Microsoft browser is the worst Smile

But now about Opera...

Clean, fast, good download mannager, large viewable zone (thin top bar and no bottom bar).
The layout is almost ascetic... but I like simple things , i don't even have wallpaper on my desktop, only solid color Smile
I don;t know how it is with Plug-Ins because Opera for me is just for testing my HTML Code Compatibility (such as IE) Smile

It's a good browser, but every user is diffrent Smile One like FF , other Opera... both are good Smile
Q5U8
I like that fast rendering of pages, that is free to use software and that is an independent browser from Firefox or MSIE. Very Happy
Arseniy
I like Opera because it has function to check out the mail without downloading it on my computer. Plus it has good speed of download and loading pages.
Design of Opera is great too. And Firefox is just too hard for my computer=)
JayBee
It is one of ... (Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, links or lynx Very Happy )

+ start speed
+ rendering speed
+ easy downloading
+ Seed Dial till 9.20

- handling of tabs (tab which appear when I close another is wrong one, I wont another - I like FF style)
- some times wrong page display (everyone optimize for IE, some times for FF but not for Opera)
Diablosblizz
I tried Opera, I didn't like the themes it gave me... otherwize, loading pages was fast, I only had it for a few days so...

5/10 - needs to work out some things.
PseudoKnight
Quote:
- handling of tabs (tab which appear when I close another is wrong one, I wont another - I like FF style)
I'm pretty sure this can be changed. I know I've done it in the past.

Quote:
I didn't like the themes it gave me
I would suggest a simple native theme. They load faster and the content is more important.
liuxu
It is faster than Firefox! The fastest one!
cheeta
Things that i like about Opera is,

• The download Manager !!!
  • Fast loading
  • ability to read CSS !!!
  • Free of Virus Attachs
  • Secure...

Smile
internetjobs
graphics design is also good.
srujanlive
This is the new feature in opera which i like.
soldeinvierno
Arnie wrote:
* I mean the ads like on driverguide, that say "we detected you use IE. you must use Firefox now!" I mean come on, mind your own business will you!

I also hate webpages that don't even allow IE users. Although I am a FFox user myself, I think that strategy won't help building a good name for other alternatives: Firefox, Opera.
Indyan
Its sexy. Every thing is so well integrated. The UI is superb.
Loving the new speed dial feature. Other features I like are
Text to Speech, Fit to Window Width, RSS Feed Reader, IRC Client, Excellent tabbed browsing, Sessions, Copy to Note.....

@ JayBee you can change the way tabs are cycled through Tools-->Pref-->Advanced-->Tabs

@ Asperud : Yes, Opera is different from other browsers. You do need to give it a couple of weeks and get used to it. But, its really Opera's strength. Its interface is extremely carefully well laid out.
loosu
i think , just opera has to work better with its RENDERING ENGINE .
because i sometimes , feel that , Firefox and IE render the page that look cuter than how opera renders it .

Just has to look better on RENDERING .
thats my want .

or maybe ,
use GECKO of firefox to render pages .
Arnie
If I'd want a slow engine like Gecko I'd use a slow browser like Firefox or Netscape, thank you.
Indyan
loosu wrote:
i think , just opera has to work better with its RENDERING ENGINE .
because i sometimes , feel that , Firefox and IE render the page that look cuter than how opera renders it .

Just has to look better on RENDERING .
thats my want .

or maybe ,
use GECKO of firefox to render pages .

Problem is not with rendering engine. I am not saying its perfect. Every engine has bugs. Ie has loads of them. Opera infact has few. I am not expert but some say Opera has fewer bugs than Fx, and adheres to standards more strictly.
The problem is that webdevelopers test their websites on IE and Fx and makes sure that it works allright on those browsers. Often, if ie or fx has a bug the developer tries to patch it using tricks. And, these patches breaks the website in Opera.
Browser sniffing is one of the biggest reason, as to why many websites dont work in Opera.
Infinity-al
I am and will always be a firefox user... i tried opera out but i didnt like it that much...
Arnie
Seems like you're pretty confident in the future of Firefox. If someone I know IRL would say that, I'd keep them to their promise 10 years later when Firefox perhaps is severely outdated.

You're too brainwashed to see that things can change in a flash, especially in the computer world. Just for the record: would Opera lose quality in the future, I'd switch.
welshsteve
Been using Opera for a few weeks now since I first saw this thread.

PROS

1. The Speed Dial idea for new tabs is an excellent idea.
2. Pages render quickly.
3. Built-in torrent client.
4. Neat and clean interface.

CONS

1. I hate the mouse gestures idea with a passion, they can be so annoying.
2. Advanced features can be a bit fidly to setup.
Indyan
Mouse gestures can be disabled.
darvit
Arnie wrote:
It is way less of a resource hog than Firefox, it doesn't have a stupid cult like Firefox, but it's still a good alternative to IE that (kind of) eliminates the annoyance of being nagged on forums and even websites* that you are an idiot to use IE.

Besides that, it supports all the latest web features (unlike IE6SP1 for example) and still runs on Windows 98 and 2000.

I agree with your points.

Also, what I really love about Opera is when I close the the browser and leave a bunch of tabs open, they stay put until I get back.

When I open new tabs, Opera just does it faster. Smile

The Speed Dial feature is very useful, too. Razz