FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Our Search

reddishblue
I was searching for the game "Destroy All Humans", with only the game forum.
The topic actually titled "Destroy All Humans" was result 32!
Now is it just me or does our search function absolutely SUCK, why would the most relevant topic come number 32 while irrelevant topics are much more numerous?
I think we should replace it with Google search, which finds far better results, it really wouldn't take that long and when people next search, they may find what they are looking for.

Red
mathiaus
The phpBB search isn't the best though if used properly it does work. For instance, when using multiple words or a phrase, check the 'Search for all terms' box. When doing this, your topic is number #3 out of a much smaller number.

The problem with google is waiting for it to index pages (the topic you are refering to isn't indexed yet so can't be found at all! Not indexed. There is though no problem with you using it yourself, in a different tab for instance
Blaster
Bondings should find a way to intergrate the new phpbb3 search into this. Or if he can the search they use for vbulletin. That IMO is the best search there is for a forum.
alexdude
I'm not sure what phpBB version this is. Maybe in a later version the problem was resolved.

I'm pretty sure other forums like SMF and Invision have a lot better search functions. Hey, you get what you pay for! Laughing
Bondings
alexdude wrote:
I'm not sure what phpBB version this is. Maybe in a later version the problem was resolved.

I'm pretty sure other forums like SMF and Invision have a lot better search functions. Hey, you get what you pay for! Laughing

The search functions in forums are not really built to search for relevance and definately are not comparable to Google. I don't think other forum software have considerably better search results. And by the way, smf is also free.

I will also try to incorporate a Google search box to search everything on Frihost. However, this also means that they should index faster and more of the forums - and that's not something that can be done fast and easily, so it'll take a good while at least.
alexdude
Alright, I've also seen some other forums use the google search engine for search. Good Idea!
garionw
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-54718.html :cough: :cough:
Bockman
A small tip for phpBB searches (I'll use your searched words for it):

When searching, if Search for all terms resolves too many results, you can limit the search even further by using:

1 - Search for any terms or use query as entered
2 - Insert your search using the AND boolean
--- This would be, on this case -> Destroy AND All AND Humans
3 - Limit the search to the forum or category whenever possible (I limited to Games forum only, as you did)

You can after sort by post time or post subject to better suit your needs.

This search, sorting by post time, gave me the following result:

Quote:
Search found 6 matches:

1 - What Game are you playing ,at the moment???
2 - [ Poll ] How old are you, and which game do you play?
3 - Destroy all Humans
4 - What ur top 15 games?
5 - World of Warcraft
6 - Any new games to recommend?

That being said, if you master phpBB searches you will find stuff a lot easier (a result of 6 topics is IMHO an efficient reply to this query). There are obviously some searches that will return too many topics/posts, but the system isn't all bad.

Be Well Cool
reddishblue
That seems good, but I really think a Google search would help Frihost very much, PLEASE (I'm on my knees Razz ) put this in place, imagine how few noobs would duplicate topics instead of searching when the recognizable "Google" logo, who everyone knows means search.

This is for the best for Frihost, and us all!
Animal
reddishblue wrote:
That seems good, but I really think a Google search would help Frihost very much, PLEASE (I'm on my knees Razz ) put this in place, imagine how few noobs would duplicate topics instead of searching when the recognizable "Google" logo, who everyone knows means search.

The problem with this is (as Bondings mentioned) that Google takes time to index the site. This means that if you post a topic and come back 20 mins later, a Google search will not find it - it will take several days to reach the Google search index. This may actually cause more duplicate threads on Frihost since any "new news" will not be found if users search using a Google search box, so they'll create the topic and say "I've already searched and this thread doesn't exist".

I'm not saying the phpBB search system is flawless, but I think it's more effective than searching through out-of-date results.
Bondings
As Animal mentioned, the problem of Google is that they don't index our pages fast enough (up to 2 weeks) and also that not all pages are in their index. They recently reduced their active index and it will take a lot of tweaking to get all of them back in it.
garionw
Bondings wrote:
As Animal mentioned, the problem of Google is that they don't index our pages fast enough (up to 2 weeks) and also that not all pages are in their index. They recently reduced their active index and it will take a lot of tweaking to get all of them back in it.

Shocked WHAT Shocked Google deleted something? wow...
Bondings
garionw wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Shocked WHAT Shocked Google deleted something? wow...

It's not really deleting, it's rather not using pages for most normal searches.