FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

could online quizes be a big threat

andy26
It has come to my attention that alot of people on sites such as myspace fill out big quizes giving away all there infomation and have it displayed on there main page and iv noticed alot of these questions could quite easily answer someones hotmail email address from ther recovery question. such as favourite food this could be easily found on someones myspace profile or quize and its not just myspace its all over on these profile sites. so do you also think this is a big security threat.
LukeakaDanish
Kind of a good point...but I don't think its the quizzes that are "a threat"...I think its the ridiculous concept of these "secret questions"...

Some people keep very sensitive information in their email inboxes - info which could give a thief access to their bank account...the way I see it, its not too difficult to fool someone into answering what appears to be a very innocent question (anywhere - not just in online quizzes)...

The real solution is to get rid of secret questions...
exarkun
It depends. For me, I will put the answer to secret question a totally different thing from what it asked for. For example, if it ask what is my favorite color, I would say apple. Wink

So it is rather hard to guess what I have put for my answer, even if you got all the information about me from profile sites. To sum it up, it all goes down to individual as many people have many different way to handle those sensitive data.
Hunterseaker
Your right about the point that it could be a threat...
In General people just put to much information about them self on the Internet, it isn't hard anymore to find detailed and personal information about someone, and yes that information can be used to gain access to email accounts etc. So people: Just don't give to much information about yourself, other people don't need that information!

Oh and just fill nonsense in in those secret question things, never a real answer.....
catscratches
If you just use your brain, you've got one, then it won't be a big threat. Don't answear "What's your credit card number?" and such question, and ask yourself, is there a point in actually answearing at all? If you use your brain, you're safe.
TheGustav
exarkun wrote:
It depends. For me, I will put the answer to secret question a totally different thing from what it asked for. For example, if it ask what is my favorite color, I would say apple. Wink

So it is rather hard to guess what I have put for my answer, even if you got all the information about me from profile sites. To sum it up, it all goes down to individual as many people have many different way to handle those sensitive data.

Well now we know you put apple as your secret question!!! Hurry up, steal his email address!
GSIS
Not very long ago some researchers tried to find out if people would divulge their computer passwords in exchange for a bar of chocolate.

I got my bar of chocolate, but the researcher got a password that doesn't work on any of my systems. Wink

All I'm saying is - if you complete a survey you don't have to tell the truth!

The real risk is with government controlled ID card systems and store loyalty cards. They all collect too much information about us.

ID cards will, ultimately, be used at access points to public buildings (railway stations, libraries, bus stations, courts, shopping centres etc). This tracks our movements to an almost Orwellian degree and, with RFID devices, could even pinpoint us wherever we are at the push of a button. Add CCTV systems with microphones (already being planned in the UK) and Big Brother really will know who you are, where you are, who you are with, and what you are doing. I fear the UK government far more than I fear the Taliban.

Data from store loyalty cards can be used to determine political persuasions (fairly easy to determine from the newspaper you buy), your buying habits show up other associations too. Do you buy magazines about weapons/warfare/survival? Do you buy books about politically sensitive subjects? Better use cash and buy from someone who doesn't track the sales.

Our governments are, increasingly, using the threat of terror as an excuse to increase surveillance. Sooner or later - even if our current governments are not dangerously corrupt - a future one will be.
Donutey
Of course, matching this information is only as easy as you let it be. I try to give out as little information as possible, for most sites you don't need to display your name, email, phone, or even the page itself unless to the people who you want to see it.
evilryu530
naw i dont think so, it might if you can organize all the information from everyone then you can use it as some valuable info. otherwise, nawh i dont think so.
Handermier
Most of these little survey things revolve around the whole what is your favorite...[insert random noun here]... or where is this object...etc. It isn't like what is your cell number? What is your social security number? What is your full name? Stuff like that. It is harmless stuff that can't be really used against you.

If anyone is dumb enough to fill out the information that can be harmful to them, then they deserve to have their identity stolen. So that is my two cents.

-Handermier
Duncan Idaho
I think it depends on a vast quantity of things, but most important would be the whim of the rat that created the quiz.
andy26
GSIS wrote:
Not very long ago some researchers tried to find out if people would divulge their computer passwords in exchange for a bar of chocolate.

I got my bar of chocolate, but the researcher got a password that doesn't work on any of my systems. Wink

All I'm saying is - if you complete a survey you don't have to tell the truth!

The real risk is with government controlled ID card systems and store loyalty cards. They all collect too much information about us.

ID cards will, ultimately, be used at access points to public buildings (railway stations, libraries, bus stations, courts, shopping centres etc). This tracks our movements to an almost Orwellian degree and, with RFID devices, could even pinpoint us wherever we are at the push of a button. Add CCTV systems with microphones (already being planned in the UK) and Big Brother really will know who you are, where you are, who you are with, and what you are doing. I fear the UK government far more than I fear the Taliban.

Data from store loyalty cards can be used to determine political persuasions (fairly easy to determine from the newspaper you buy), your buying habits show up other associations too. Do you buy magazines about weapons/warfare/survival? Do you buy books about politically sensitive subjects? Better use cash and buy from someone who doesn't track the sales.

Our governments are, increasingly, using the threat of terror as an excuse to increase surveillance. Sooner or later - even if our current governments are not dangerously corrupt - a future one will be.

i think thats a really good point about the goverment i think things are gonna get worse and worse.
jongoldsz
andy26 wrote:
i think thats a really good point about the goverment i think things are gonna get worse and worse.

It might, it might not. There will probably be some people that will make fake id cards, which can get you into buildings, but it will use someone else's name and no one could really track you.
GSIS
jongoldsz wrote:
andy26 wrote:

It might, it might not. There will probably be some people that will make fake id cards, which can get you into buildings, but it will use someone else's name and no one could really track you.

That's exactly the problem. As far as I'm aware no UK MP who supports the introduction of ID cards has ever acknowledged that there will be mistakes. If they are believed, by the authorities, to be infallible you're going to have a hell of a job convincing them that you weren't involved in a crime if a clone of your card was used.

Once they are proved to be fallible what then? Issue new cards with strengthened security at further expense to the general public, then wait for them to be cracked again, and again, and again? Looks like another stealth tax to me.
Kaisonic
I see your point, but you'd think people are smart enough to not put the same information in both a password recovery field and publicly-displayed survey answer field. But then again, there are an awful lot of idiots in this world. Like those people that use their birthday as their password....pft.
mostwanted
yea i think some of those quize sites are a security threat. What happends is people give their myspace login, or email address to these quize sites, then they use it and spam all your friends with comments like "how to upgrade your account" or "i got a free gift card at macy's" anyways, yea it is a security thread but i haven't fell into a trap yet.
andy26
mostwanted wrote:
yea i think some of those quize sites are a security threat. What happends is people give their myspace login, or email address to these quize sites, then they use it and spam all your friends with comments like "how to upgrade your account" or "i got a free gift card at macy's" anyways, yea it is a security thread but i haven't fell into a trap yet.

i totaly know what you mean by the spamming all your friends thing has anyone seen that tagged site all of my friends and me where sent join up emails by a site called tagged i think it was a bit like myspace and all the other blog websites but it was so annoying whenever one of my friends signed up i got an email least i didnt fall for it and sign up.
Aiz
It is not so much a "threat" as a trap for the less "careful". (much llike phish sites pretending to he paypal or ebay in order to get your password and stuff. Or those letters from "credit card providers" asking for your photo-ed ID copies)

For quizzes, I usually just take those that you fill in after the question yourself not ones into a site. And of course I avoid questions that I could have used as security questions. Heck, I don't even use the same password/questions for my different accounts >.>;
Nameless
I see it more like this: Online quizzes are not a threat. They are no more of a threat than casual conversation with your friend is to exposing your 'secret question'.

Human stupidity is a real threat. Rolling Eyes