FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Feisty Fawn (7.04) Ubuntu is to release

Blaster
Well come this month Feisty Fawn is set to be stable. You can already download it now at http://www.ubuntu.com/news/Ubuntu704Beta

So who is ready for the new release? I'm actually using the BETA version of it now Very Happy It works really good i think. I'm getting updates for it a lot though. At least once a day. There are a couple little bugs but they should be fixed before the release.
redice
I have use debian for about two years, and hear about ubuntu for a long time. It seems that many people like it than debian, I'd like to have a preview of it. Thank for the link, I'll try it.
{name here}
I'll probably try it, but I'm guessing already that it won't even boot on my PC, just like the last two versions.
Arno v. Lumig
I've used the beta for one day, and then I got rid of it. Nothing but trouble to get things running, especially compiz and beryl. My nvidia driver kept doing weird things, and I got thrown out of x.org occasionally.
Furthermore it was really slow on my PC. Loading firefox took 12 seconds, to give an example.
Now I spent a few days trying out gentoo, and I actually like it. Firefox loads on 3-4 seconds. Go figure.
What's new in 7.04 anyway? The built-in compiz that didn't work?
Gnome 2.18 you say? Then I'll as you: What's new in gnome 2.18?

No... Canonical screwed up after 6.06 (Dapper Drake).

But I'm sure it will work on some PCs...

Greetz,
Arno
WickedGravity
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
I've used the beta for one day, and then I got rid of it. Nothing but trouble to get things running, especially compiz and beryl. My nvidia driver kept doing weird things...

I can only imagine why experimental beta display drivers and software would run incorrectly on a beta non-windows operating system.
Blaster
I don't think its slow or anything. I think firefox is faster. I think the whole thing is faster. Its also easier to connect to the internet.

I agree though i preffered Dapper over edgy but i like feisty fawn over dapper so far. Will see when the stable version comes out. Very Happy
Arno v. Lumig
WickedGravity wrote:
Arno v. Lumig wrote:
I've used the beta for one day, and then I got rid of it. Nothing but trouble to get things running, especially compiz and beryl. My nvidia driver kept doing weird things...

I can only imagine why experimental beta display drivers and software would run incorrectly on a beta non-windows operating system.

The nVidia driver is not beta, and runs perfectly on all Distros I've tried so far. Same with Beryl and Compiz.
I know Feisty is still beta, but I rather call this pre-alpha. It simply won't work.
infobankr
Remember that Ubuntu is built on top of Debian and the apt package management system.

I've been using Feisty Fawn for awhile now and it is really awesome. It uses the xfce windowing system, making it light weight and fast, but also beautiful and user-friendly.

If you haven't used Ubuntu, try it! Especially you redice - if you are familiar with Debian, you will feel right at home with Ubuntu.

I still use Debian for my servers, but I now use Ubuntu for workstations. My office uses mostly Macs as workstations (for Adobe) as well as Window (for IE testing).

How about you?
outofnicks
I've been running Dapper for the last 8 months and Breezy a few months before that--I had been planning to just stay with Dapper for a while longer but from what I'm hearing about Feisty Fawn, I'm anxious to try it. But I'm on dialup so I'll have to wait for the free Shipit CDs to be released, and then wait another 6 weeks or so Sad
corey
If I was still using Ubuntu, I'd probably get it. I've always been trying the new stuff out. I may yet, but since I re-tried PCLinuxOS, I've had a hard time wanting to go with anything else really (except maybe back to Gentoo). PCLinuxOS seems to "just work" with anything that I've tried so far. And, its the only one that got "X" right as far as my Radeon 9500 Pro. Others would lock up as soon as I tried a 3D application.