FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best US President

iZen
Who do you feel was the best US President of all time? My vote is with FDR. He was the human equivalent to Jesus.
turbowolf
Roosevelt? I don't think so. Yes, he is a great man. He saved USA from the dark days of the ecnomic crisis in late 1920's and fought back Japan and German. But his fame was limited among the US people. I am a foreigner. When you ask me some achievements of Roosevelt. I am sorry because I don't know anything more than I mention above. But Jesus is much more faous. At least in these world more than one billion people believe that he is their god.

iZen wrote:
Who do you feel was the best US President of all time? My vote is with FDR. He was the human equivalent to Jesus.
budiman
Maybe Clinton. During his presidency, our dictator president was stepped down by his own followers and people.
MYP415
The best president is a tough one... the most influential is definitely FDR though. This is partly because he served longer than any other president, but also because he introduced many new ideas to try to pull us out of the Depression, many of which are still in effect today.

For best president it would probably be either Lincoln or FDR
HDirtwater
I'll bite my tounge and not say anything about Clinton (Bill) being our best president.... Rolling Eyes

My top five are as follows:

1. Lincoln - Not a difficult choice at all
2. Washington - The first always sets the standards for the rest
3. W. Wilson - Had great ideas that were far beyond their time (league of nations being one of them)
4. FDR - again, not a tough choice here
5. Reagan - singlehandedly pounded the Soviet Union into extinction, even though everyone in the US was screaming for him to back off.

Honorable mentions go to Andrew Jackson, Harry Truman, Thomas Jefferson, and Richard Nixon (no I'm not kidding).
bangala
HDirtwater wrote:
I'll bite my tounge and not say anything about Clinton (Bill) being our best president.... Rolling Eyes

3. W. Wilson - Had great ideas that were far beyond their time (league of nations being one of them)
5. Reagan - singlehandedly pounded the Soviet Union into extinction, even though everyone in the US was screaming for him to back off.

Honorable mentions go to Andrew Jackson, Harry Truman, Thomas Jefferson, and Richard Nixon (no I'm not kidding).

I do agree with you about your choice of Lincoln!
I am not American BTW.
{name here}
My favorite has to be Washington, because he was a humble leader who did not think of himself as a king, but rather a president in a time of autocracy. A close second is Wilson, because he knew and fowarned Britain and France that if they punish Germany it would come back to haunt them later, and he was right. Third is Lincoln, because he was quite a brave president - simply inserting assasination threats from southerners into a little folder, leading the country that was in the turmoil of Civil war, and supporting the reconstruction of the south.
poly
I would say it is Franklin D. Roosevelt...
Macko112
Lincoln. Got America out of the Civil War. Didn't want to punish the rebelling south, but to preserve the Union. Excellent speaker. Fair to all walks of life. A real people's man. Got things done.
nopaniers
I think the best American leader, isn't a president, but is Martin Luther King Jr.
silverdown
Maybe the best US President is still yet to come, However anyone can be a real pain. I think they should get rid of President Rank and just use the house of REPS. because they decide what the president does anyhow. All it seems as the president does it make the world look more official ( as least in my opinion. So I so no president is the best president. Laughing
medievalman26
This is just like "Greatest 'Evil Person'? :D" Please give what your definition of "best" is. I do agree with you iZen FDR was pretty good.
Moonspider
silverdown wrote:
Maybe the best US President is still yet to come, However anyone can be a real pain. I think they should get rid of President Rank and just use the house of REPS. because they decide what the president does anyhow. All it seems as the president does it make the world look more official ( as least in my opinion. So I so no president is the best president. Laughing

Read or re-read the U.S. constitution. There are many powers held by the executive branch that are not held by the legislative or judicial branches.

Furthermore, the U.S. can't have a system based solely upon a House of Representatives, since that is based upon population distribution. Thus smaller states would have virtually no power in such a system. The U.S. would be dominated by New York, California, and Texas. Thus the reason for the senate, where all states are equally represented.

Respectfully,
M
Diablosblizz
Even though I do not live in USA, and I don't know the presidents, all I know is that BUSH sucks. Isn't he gone soon. No offence to anybody, but he caused the war in Iraq, hes power hungry.

Thats just my opinion.
bigbadjohn
George Dubya gets a really rough time, not living in the US can I ask any American reading this is he really as thick as is he is portrayed in the media. All we see are clips of him making gaffes. Is this representative of the man??? Or has he some hidden depths us outsiders are not privy to?
palavra
Clinton is the best among last four president.

The others are not good enough.
assee
ye no doubt . clinton was good . atleast world was at peace when he was a president . Dont know what is wrong with this bush. why he wana attack the whole world. May God show him the right path Very Happy
HDirtwater
assee wrote:
ye no doubt . clinton was good . atleast world was at peace when he was a president . Dont know what is wrong with this bush. why he wana attack the whole world. May God show him the right path Very Happy

Yes, of course you're right. There wasn't any violence in the world at all when Clinton was president. Rolling Eyes
headie
The best is a tie between Lincoln and FDR. Overall, however, Lincoln would probably win my vote because of who he was outside of the presidency. FDR was no better than Clinton when it came to scandalous affairs. The only difference between the two was that Cinton did it while in office, while FDR did it while he was running. Lincoln, however never cheated on his wife and was very devout to her, despite her crazyness. But as presidents, they both did the same type of work and bettered the country when it was down. No recent president could be in the category though. Too much corrpution lately.
DeFwh
The best US presidents would have to be Abraham Lincoln and Theodore Roosevelt. I don't choose them because they are well know but because of what they did in office. Lincoln helped the slaves gain their freedom and worked to abolish it completely during his years in office. He was a strong steadfast leader whos genuine concern was for the people. Theodore Roosevelt known for his cowboy charge on San Juan hill is my personal hero. He was a very big conservationist and during his years in office was bent on preserving the natural wonders that surround us and keep america a beautiful nation. Through his efforts he saved millions of acres land peserving it for all americans and also to protect the animals that live within.
sondosia
I consider Lincoln to be the best president. The Civil War could've split the country and prevented us from becoming the prosperous world power that we are. Lincoln single-handedly (well, almost) prevented that.
assee
and now i heard that His wife is going to be the next candidate for Presidentship? and she has bright chances to win these election .

As Democrats are in majority in both houses. Am not actually a american .. But am keen to know and beware of the America's Politics. and no doubt evryone does Very Happy
brucedes
HDirtwater wrote:

...Must...not...make...Lewinsky joke...

Anyway, I think it was Truman, which for me is a hard choice, since although he wrote the death sentence for thousands of innocent people, it is highly likely that an invasion of Japan would've resulted in the death of many more people on both sides. No doubt he thought long and hard about the decision, and we must respect the mans resolve.
headie
brucedes wrote:
HDirtwater wrote:

...Must...not...make...Lewinsky joke...

Anyway, I think it was Truman, which for me is a hard choice, since although he wrote the death sentence for thousands of innocent people, it is highly likely that an invasion of Japan would've resulted in the death of many more people on both sides. No doubt he thought long and hard about the decision, and we must respect the mans resolve.

I agree. Truman was a good president. Maybe not the best, but he did what was necessary. I actually had to write a paper on whether it was ethical or not for Truman to have dropped the bomb and whether the decision was diplomatic or a military one.
knightandre
Truman's decision to drop the bomb was arguably not much of a decision. Under Roosevelt, the Manhattan Project had been proceeding as if the drop were the ultimate goal, not simply the creation of a bomb. Scientists were, for the most part, debating drop sites - not morals.
There was also concern that Russia would enter the war if it dragged on too long, and this would mean communism in Japan. A demonstration was argued, but this suggestion was trashed because I was unsure that this would be enough to sway Japan, and scientists were not sure if it would work.

When Truman took office after the death of the popular Roosevelt, he had to keep his popularity up. Many were shocked that the new president had been a small-town farmer. He wanted to end the war, it was a drain to his popularity, and many were dying. Whether it was right or wrong, he continued Roosevelt's plan, and ordered the drop. It effectively ended the war.. after two bombs were dropped (Truman ordered the third to be withheld).

Many veterans of WWII will attest that Truman saved their lives by dropping the bomb, or support his action.

Anyways, Truman had reactively low popularity levels during his presidency, but after it, many looked back on Truman as a good president. Only after his presidency did they fully appreciate his policy.
palavra
knightandre wrote:

Many veterans of WWII will attest that Truman saved their lives by dropping the bomb, or support his action.

to use an atom bomb on civilian territory is a cowardly and dishonorable action.
reddishblue
palavra wrote:
knightandre wrote:

to use an atom bomb on civilian territory is a cowardly and dishonorable action.

Teaching little girls (as well as everyone who can even walk) to kill Allied Soldiers isn't exactly a very moral thing to do either, but knowing Japanese at the time, it wouldn't have scarred them for life like it would do to little girls nowadays.

The bomb was necessary, the Japanese didn't care if you kill their soldiers, but when you hit them where it hurts and scare the hell out of the civilians, it becomes much more effective, the US effectively protected the entire world, and all thanks to a certain "Little Boy".
palavra
reddishblue wrote:
Teaching little girls (as well as everyone who can even walk) to kill Allied Soldiers isn't exactly a very moral thing to do either, but knowing Japanese at the time, it wouldn't have scarred them for life like it would do to little girls nowadays.

The bomb was necessary, the Japanese didn't care if you kill their soldiers, but when you hit them where it hurts and scare the hell out of the civilians, it becomes much more effective, the US effectively protected the entire world, and all thanks to a certain "Little Boy".

-i did't tell japanese did everything correctly

-could you kill an innocent japanese baby to win the war?

-to use an atom bomb over a city is the same with 9/11. it is a terror activity and that horrible president was a terrorist.

- i hope he is in hell with his "little boy"
Moonspider
palavra wrote:

-to use an atom bomb over a city is the same with 9/11. it is a terror activity and that horrible president was a terrorist.

That is an absolutely wrong moral comparison! A proper moral context for Hiroshima and Nagasaki is that they are the same as fire bombing Hamburg and Dresden, Germany.

Morally Hamburg, Dresden, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki are all the same. The only difference is the technology used to inflict the damage. The atomic bomb did not exist yet when the allies sent thousands of bombers over Hamburg and Dresden for several consecutive days and nights.

If you think the Hamburg and Dresden bombings were immoral, then yes you must believe that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were immoral. If you believe that the bombing of Hamburg and Dresden was moral, then you are more far more likely to believe Hiroshima and Nagasaki were moral.

However 9/11 is in an utterly different warfare, temporal, and motivational context.

Respectfully,
M
palavra
Moonspider wrote:

If you think the Hamburg and Dresden bombings were immoral, then yes you must believe that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were immoral. If you believe that the bombing of Hamburg and Dresden was moral, then you are more far more likely to believe Hiroshima and Nagasaki were moral.

However 9/11 is in an utterly different warfare, temporal, and motivational context.

yes , i think hambug and dresden bombings were immoral like all the other events against to civilians.

it does not make any difference bombers wear a uniform or not
reddishblue
palavra wrote:
-could you kill an innocent japanese baby to win the war?
- i hope he is in hell with his "little boy"

To stop possibly MILLIONS more dying...yes...in what way is one life more important then so many, and anyway, I didn't say that it was the right thing to do, I ment it was the ONLY thing to do.
Moonspider
palavra wrote:
Moonspider wrote:

yes , i think hambug and dresden bombings were immoral like all the other events against to civilians.

it does not make any difference bombers wear a uniform or not

I respect that.

However I disagree with you based upon the context of that war and the technology of the period. World War II was a total war in every sense of the term.

Respectfully,
M
polis
well, we all agree that is a Democrat at least Razz

I think Bill Clinton was the best president of US ever.

The worst, definitetly George W. Bush.
Moonspider
polis wrote:
well, we all agree that is a Democrat at least. Razz

Actually I also saw people mention Washington, Lincoln, and Reagan.

polis wrote:

You must be relatively young. Wink

Respectfully,
M
polis
Moonspider wrote:
polis wrote:

polis wrote:

Respectfully,
M

Oh rly? why is that?

I know it sounds like a "cliché", but it's true.
Moonspider
polis wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
polis wrote:

polis wrote:

Respectfully,
M

Oh rly? why is that?

Only because you chose "best" and the "worst" from the two most recent presidents. Smile

Respectfully,
M
polis
Moonspider wrote:
polis wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
polis wrote:

polis wrote:

Respectfully,
M

Oh rly? why is that?

Only because you chose "best" and the "worst" from the two most recent presidents. Smile

Respectfully,
M

Amazing, so from now on, it is forbidden to choose from the most recent presidents. Very clever from you.
Moonspider
polis wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
polis wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
polis wrote:

polis wrote:

Respectfully,
M

Oh rly? why is that?

Respectfully,
M

Amazing, so from now on, it is forbidden to choose from the most recent presidents. Very clever from you.

No. It's your prerogative to choose whomever you wish. I simply surmised that since you chose the last two presidents to have served in the office since 1789 that you have limited experiences with presidents. It’s nothing personal. Just my summation based upon the limited evidence before me.

For example, I doubt any American from the Depression Era would have chosen Bill Clinton as the best. And many people who lived through the Watergate scandal might choose Nixon over Bush as the worst.

I also surmised that someone older might have a broader perspective of American history. However that is not always the case, especially since people in advanced civilizations tend to be more specialized instead of traditionally educated.

Respectfully,
M
Whong
I'd say Abraham Lincoln! Very Happy

Wink
qebab
reddishblue wrote:

To stop possibly MILLIONS more dying...yes...in what way is one life more important then so many, and anyway, I didn't say that it was the right thing to do, I ment it was the ONLY thing to do.

If you honestly think that it was literally the only thing to do, you are objectively wrong and I think you understand that. I think we'll both agree that hard times breed hard decisions and disgusting events though, and I understand the reasoning behind dropping the bomb.

M - I just thought I'd say that I consider the Dresden bombings and Hiroshima/Nagasaki to be equally disturbing and disgusting. However, that is my opinion on total war in general, I don't like the idea of killing civilians in war (Who does?).

If I had to pick a 'favorite' (Calling it the 'best' president feels too... wrong), it would be a tie between Franklin D. Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln. However my knowledge of american history is very limited, and I'm not really sure what I base my thoughts on here, they just both feel like natural choices. Maybe something that I will give a thought.
vlad02
The best US resident is Franklin D. Roosevelt. He was the best. He helped US a lot. He was the 32 US president. He was the best president. Very Happy
I Hate My User Name
George Washington.

He led the country to places it had never been. He was the first president, yet he probably did the greatest job. One of the things that probably got him that far was the lack of political experience. Politics have a tendency to corrupt people who want the power. He had no political party because he didnt believe in that and in his farewell address, even encouraged us to stray away from party politics.

On another note, most people who say "Bush sucks", etc, etc are little kids who don't know what they're talking about and probably got what they know from their parents or their teachers/professors. Mostly all they know is that we are in a war. Bush didn't completely start the war. You guys forget, he had to have congress' approval to go anywhere, and most people should know it was the whole country's fault for acting on false information. You shouldn't pin the blame on Bush, and even still your'e going off topic. This isn't a "I hate Bush topic, who else does" kind of topic.

-IHMUN-
et-configs
budiman wrote:
Maybe Clinton. During his presidency, our dictator president was stepped down by his own followers and people.

Haha.. lets see clinton.. let osama go.. gave secrets to n. korea hmm the best!

I believe during <my time not all of history> that

President Ronald Reagon was the best.

He was a great speaker.
When he said it he made sure they heard it.

HE is the reason the Berlin Wall is down today.

No one would ever dare go against him you could see it in his eyes.. i suggest if you watch some of his videos online you will think alot more of him.
poiko123
Reagan, IMHO. Downing the Soviet Union with a stern hand is not an easy job and he sent the U.S. economy in the right direction. Although the oldest president, he certainly was not the weakest, and was in general just a great leader.
Afaceinthematrix
HDirtwater wrote:
I'll bite my tounge and not say anything about Clinton (Bill) being our best president.... :roll:

Lincoln? He was the second most hated president of all time. People only began to like him after he died. He did nothing. I guess you can give him some credit for the Civil War but he was about ready to reestablish slavery after the war to preserve the Union. So it's highly likely that if he wasn't killed, slavery would have been reestablished. Washington? He did nothing. He's only known because he was the first president. But then again doing nothing is what the country needed, because the country was too fragile for big change. But all he basically did was eat ice cream. Wilson? He was all right. He got stuff done, so did FDR. Reagan? Yeah he ended the Cold War and came out with his Reaganomics. But didn't he tripple the national deficit or something close to that? Jackson? He was all right. Truman? I guess you can give him credit for ended WWII but he did drop two atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki when it wasn't necessary (in my opinion). Jefferson? He was all right. Added 1/3 of the United States from the Louisianna Purchase so I'll give him a little credit there. Nixon? I like him. He was one of my favorite presdients. Watergate just screwed him over but I liked him. Sorry, as you can see I don't always look at people in the best way lol.
Afaceinthematrix
I Hate My User Name wrote:
George Washington.

He led the country to places it had never been. He was the first president, yet he probably did the greatest job. One of the things that probably got him that far was the lack of political experience. Politics have a tendency to corrupt people who want the power. He had no political party because he didnt believe in that and in his farewell address, even encouraged us to stray away from party politics.

On another note, most people who say "Bush sucks", etc, etc are little kids who don't know what they're talking about and probably got what they know from their parents or their teachers/professors. Mostly all they know is that we are in a war. Bush didn't completely start the war. You guys forget, he had to have congress' approval to go anywhere, and most people should know it was the whole country's fault for acting on false information. You shouldn't pin the blame on Bush, and even still your'e going off topic. This isn't a "I hate Bush topic, who else does" kind of topic.

-IHMUN-

Nicely said... I've been fighting for Bush for the past few years. I have to admit that not all of his plans have worked out, but he's decent.
Afaceinthematrix
et-configs wrote:
budiman wrote:

Haha.. lets see clinton.. let osama go.. gave secrets to n. korea hmm the best!

I believe during <my time not all of history> that

President Ronald Reagon was the best.

He was a great speaker.
When he said it he made sure they heard it.

HE is the reason the Berlin Wall is down today.

No one would ever dare go against him you could see it in his eyes.. i suggest if you watch some of his videos online you will think alot more of him.

Clinton did do all of that, but one thing I do have to give him credit for is opening up trade with Venezuela.
gangsterr
lol i am going to go with George Bush. he is the greatest. just look at what hes done. hes a genuis.
pashmina
i would say George Washington because he was very much devoted to what he did.
as for george bush this imgae suits this

source http://funnyemails.uni.cc/content/view/35/
Moonspider
I've posted comments here but have not stated my opinion. Thus I will do so now.

Best U.S. President:

Abraham Lincoln - Preserved the United States through the course of the Civil War. (Even though he crushed many liberties to do so, including the suspension of habeas corpus during the war. Arguably it had to be done.) Elevated the abolition of slavery to a war cause, not just the preservation of the Union.

Worst U.S. President:

James Buchanan - A very weak leader. His ineptitude and inaction (as well as his support of the Dred Scott Decision and interference with the Supreme Court) directly lead to the Civil War. Furthermore, when the secession crisis first began on his watch, he did nothing.

I felt compelled to add my "Worst" choice since so many feel compelled to name Bush as the worst. I personally believe that President Bush will probably fall in the middle of presidential rankings in the future, about the same place as President Clinton. We'll see in a decade or two.

Respectfully,
M
Afaceinthematrix
assee wrote:
ye no doubt . clinton was good . atleast world was at peace when he was a president . Dont know what is wrong with this bush. why he wana attack the whole world. May God show him the right path :D

Peace? What about the conflicts that he had in Africa? Mogadishu?
Moonspider
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
assee wrote:

Don't forget Bosnia. That was a fairly major international conflict.

Respectfully,
M
sonicj
It is very interesting to see all the opinions expressed on this subject, especially those from outside the US. It also cracks me up to see so many take this opportunity to call Bush the worst president ever. I believe that if this topic is started 40 years from now in a forum somewhere, that he would probably not even be mentioned.

If I had to pick, I would say Lincoln. If you will allow me, I will add Reagan as my favorite during my lifetime. Never before or since have I been inspired by a leader of my country than when he was in office.
HDirtwater
Moonspider wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
assee wrote:

Respectfully,
M

The conflict in Bosnia (the US involvment there I mean), and the US involvment in Somalia (Mogadishu - Blackhawk Down) both took place during Bill Clinton's presidency. I find it funny how when a president starts to get criticism (whether deserved or not), ignorant people just pile on without knowing the facts.

I don't claim to be a GW fan, but let's at least blame him for stuff that he actaully did. Rolling Eyes
Moonspider
HDirtwater wrote:
Moonspider wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
assee wrote:

Respectfully,
M

The conflict in Bosnia (the US involvment there I mean), and the US involvment in Somalia (Mogadishu - Blackhawk Down) both took place during Bill Clinton's presidency. I find it funny how when a president starts to get criticism (whether deserved or not), ignorant people just pile on without knowing the facts.

I don't claim to be a GW fan, but let's at least blame him for stuff that he actaully did. Rolling Eyes

Both Afaceinthematrix and I were talking about the Clinton administration.

Respectfully,
M
_AVG_
For me, it would be Abraham Lincoln as he was the one actually united America. He accomlished a feeling of togetherness amongst the people and taught them to treat each other equally without racism on the basis of colour.

He also rescued America as far as the civil war was concerned. He stopped fellow Americans from killing each other.

It was a pity that he had to die due to the stupidity of doctors.
rheanna
agh , all presidents are corrupted..... Laughing
sandra
i think clinton was the best American has produced.Lets face the fact and put his affair with mOnica aside.
His diplomatic dealings with Asia where very ok, our army was not fighting a war that we don't know when it'll end.
I can't recall a bomb blast in America during Clinton's time as president, the citizens where safe and not scared like the caase is this days.
Osama was a time bomb waiting to explode but we didn't see it exploding during Clinton's eight years term.
I wasn't alive when most past president rule but i was and still alive when Clinton was in charge, and America was very normal and nothing seems to happen in the midle east to foster us into any kind of war.
As for me Clinton will for now be y best American president EVER.
HDirtwater
sandra wrote:
i think clinton was the best American has produced.Lets face the fact and put his affair with mOnica aside.
His diplomatic dealings with Asia where very ok, our army was not fighting a war that we don't know when it'll end.
I can't recall a bomb blast in America during Clinton's time as president, the citizens where safe and not scared like the caase is this days.
Osama was a time bomb waiting to explode but we didn't see it exploding during Clinton's eight years term.
I wasn't alive when most past president rule but i was and still alive when Clinton was in charge, and America was very normal and nothing seems to happen in the midle east to foster us into any kind of war.
As for me Clinton will for now be y best American president EVER.

Again, facts are your friend. During Clinton's presidency, he ignored Bin Laden while that maniac bombed US embassys and the USS Cole. Also, the original World Trade Center bombing took place in 1993, under Clinton's watch. It's funny how you mention these things almost by name and yet ignore who was president when they happened.

Personally, I don't believe any event that takes place necessarily has anything to do with who is president at the time, unless it is of his own doing (the Gettysburg Address, the Man to the Moon speech, etc). If I were to go out and bomb something or someone, I guarantee a whole bunch of people would still blame it on GW,,,, Rolling Eyes
Azmo
I'll go for Lincoln
jabronie25
FDR - He did great during the WW2 days
Washington - A great general turned into a great president even tho he didnt want to be president
Lincoln - Come on its lincoln
Reagan - Hes amazing
Saysior
I think we should award Alexander Hamilton an honorary ex-presidentialship title. He might never have held the highest office, but I think he is the single most important man in the history of the United States. His arguments on federalism and the constitution defined modern democratic government and constitutional interpretation. His economic policies saved the United States from the brink of bankruptcy and set the US on track to become one of the leaders of the industrial revolution. As much as we all love Jefferson, if Jefferson's economic policies had been used instead of Hamilton's, we would most surely be a third world country right now.

If Burr hadn't been such a tool and killed Hamilton in a duel that wasn't supposed to mean anything, who knows how much better off this country might be.
kuhdorf
me too! fdr rulez
liljp617
jabronie25 wrote:
FDR - He did great during the WW2 days
Washington - A great general turned into a great president even tho he didnt want to be president
Lincoln - Come on its lincoln
Reagan - Hes amazing

Yeah man rounding up every Japanese person on the west coast and basically putting them in concentration camps is doing great =/
rheanna
COLBERT 08....Oh wait he's not President yet..But he will be someday... Laughing
russel26
the father and son THE bUSH
benjmd
HDirtwater wrote:

So, I'm gonna have to nix Reagan off that list. I would suggest that running up a massive budget deficit is a bad thing. I would also suggest that he had LITTLE to do with the fall of the Soviet Union. The fall of the USSR was largely due to three things: (1) economic instability, (2) overextention in Afghanistan and other regions w/o popular or economic support, and (3) emergence of characters like Gorbachev and eventually Yeltsin who further softened the hard-line framework. Reagan spoke loudly and harshly against the USSR, but he didn't actually DO anything to cause it to collapse.
Moonspider
benjmd wrote:
HDirtwater wrote:

So, I'm gonna have to nix Reagan off that list. I would suggest that running up a massive budget deficit is a bad thing. I would also suggest that he had LITTLE to do with the fall of the Soviet Union. The fall of the USSR was largely due to three things: (1) economic instability, (2) overextention in Afghanistan and other regions w/o popular or economic support, and (3) emergence of characters like Gorbachev and eventually Yeltsin who further softened the hard-line framework. Reagan spoke loudly and harshly against the USSR, but he didn't actually DO anything to cause it to collapse.

I'll argue your three points against Reagan:
1) Soviet economic instability - Reagan encouraged this instability by buildling up the U.S. military in an arms race the Soviets could not afford to wage.
2) Overextension in Afganistan - Once again, the Reagan administration poured a fortune into Afghanistan, providing weapons, military and intelligence advisors to the Afghan rebels fighting the USSR, thus prolonging the war and sustaining the quagmire in which the Soviets found themselves. (And before anyone makes a fool comment on how we created bin Laden and Al Qaeda in the process, I'll tell you that funding and aid in that war went to Afghan rebels, not to any of the foreign fighters like bin Laden's organization.)
3) Gorbachev may have helped, but I will argue he was actually doing his best to preserve the Empire through his reforms, not destroy it. It fell despite his efforts, not because of them.

But I can say nothing more eloquently to refute your comment than the following article by Lech Walesa on the occassion of President Reagan's death:

In Solidarity - The Polish people, hungry for justice, preferred "cowboys" over Communists. BY LECH WALESA, Friday, June 11, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT wrote:
GDANSK, Poland--When talking about Ronald Reagan, I have to be personal. We in Poland took him so personally. Why? Because we owe him our liberty. This can't be said often enough by people who lived under oppression for half a century, until communism fell in 1989.

Poles fought for their freedom for so many years that they hold in special esteem those who backed them in their struggle. Support was the test of friendship. President Reagan was such a friend. His policy of aiding democratic movements in Central and Eastern Europe in the dark days of the Cold War meant a lot to us. We knew he believed in a few simple principles such as human rights, democracy and civil society. He was someone who was convinced that the citizen is not for the state, but vice-versa, and that freedom is an innate right.

I often wondered why Ronald Reagan did this, taking the risks he did, in supporting us at Solidarity, as well as dissident movements in other countries behind the Iron Curtain, while pushing a defense buildup that pushed the Soviet economy over the brink. Let's remember that it was a time of recession in the U.S. and a time when the American public was more interested in their own domestic affairs. It took a leader with a vision to convince them that there are greater things worth fighting for. Did he seek any profit in such a policy? Though our freedom movements were in line with the foreign policy of the United States, I doubt it.

I distinguish between two kinds of politicians. There are those who view politics as a tactical game, a game in which they do not reveal any individuality, in which they lose their own face. There are, however, leaders for whom politics is a means of defending and furthering values. For them, it is a moral pursuit. They do so because the values they cherish are endangered. They're convinced that there are values worth living for, and even values worth dying for. Otherwise they would consider their life and work pointless. Only such politicians are great politicians and Ronald Reagan was one of them.

The 1980s were a curious time--a time of realization that a new age was upon us. Communism was coming to an end. It had used up its means and possibilities. The ground was set for change. But this change needed the cooperation, or unspoken understanding, of different political players. Now, from the perspective of our time, it is obvious that like the pieces of a global chain of events, Ronald Reagan, John Paul II, Margaret Thatcher and even Mikhail Gorbachev helped bring about this new age in Europe. We at Solidarity like to claim more than a little credit, too, for bringing about the end of the Cold War.

In the Europe of the 1980s, Ronald Reagan presented a vision. For us in Central and Eastern Europe, that meant freedom from the Soviets. Mr. Reagan was no ostrich who hoped that problems might just go away. He thought that problems are there to be faced. This is exactly what he did.

Every time I met President Reagan, at his private estate in California or at the Lenin shipyard here in Gdansk, I was amazed by his modesty and even temper. He didn't fit the stereotype of the world leader that he was. Privately, we were like opposite sides of a magnet: He was always composed; I was a raging tower of emotions eager to act. We were so different yet we never had a problem with understanding one another. I respected his honesty and good humor. It gave me confidence in his policies and his resolve. He supported my struggle, but what unified us, unmistakably, were our similar values and shared goals.

I have often been asked in the United States to sign the poster that many Americans consider very significant. Prepared for the first almost-free parliamentary elections in Poland in 1989, the poster shows Gary Cooper as the lonely sheriff in the American Western, "High Noon." Under the headline "At High Noon" runs the red Solidarity banner and the date--June 4, 1989--of the poll. It was a simple but effective gimmick that, at the time, was misunderstood by the Communists. They, in fact, tried to ridicule the freedom movement in Poland as an invention of the "Wild" West, especially the U.S.
But the poster had the opposite impact: Cowboys in Western clothes had become a powerful symbol for Poles. Cowboys fight for justice, fight against evil, and fight for freedom, both physical and spiritual. Solidarity trounced the Communists in that election, paving the way for a democratic government in Poland. It is always so touching when people bring this poster up to me to autograph it. They have cherished it for so many years and it has become the emblem of the battle that we all fought together.

As I say repeatedly, we owe so much to all those who supported us. Perhaps in the early years, we didn't express enough gratitude. We were so busy introducing all the necessary economic and political reforms in our reborn country. Yet President Ronald Reagan must have realized what remarkable changes he brought to Poland, and indeed the rest of the world. And I hope he felt gratified. He should have.

Mr. Walesa, winner of the 1983 Nobel Peace Prize, was president of Poland from 1990 to 1995.

Respectfully,
M
czc587
Yup, I support Reagan as one of the best. While he may not have done the actual work, the job of a leader is to see that it gets done, and lots of things happened under his reign. I believe the world would be a different place if not for him.
AnalogPlayers
As for what he did for the nation, I do not have a favorite president. Yet, based on personality, it is most definitely Andrew Jackson by a long run.

This man was amazing. Spending the whole of his presidency with a bullet lodged next to his heart. Defeating the 10,000 man army that just recently defeated Napoleon at Waterloo, with his own army of 4,000 pirates. He was really an amazing person.
Sparda
I would have to say President Abe and President Roosevelt were the best presidents. I can't really decide which would be better between the two of them.
Blaster
Many people argue that FDR was a good president. And I too think he was. But people like Hoover where also good at times. Hoover led the country through the depression which has to be hard. Lincoln was also a good president. Again he led us through a hard time in American life. He led us through the civil war. He helped shape America how it is today. If the Union weren't to win and the Confederates where too then this country would possibly be 2. There might still be slavery. So with him helping the north out it led the country to be how it is today.
Moonspider
Blaster wrote:
If the Union weren't to win and the Confederates where too then this country would possibly be 2. There might still be slavery.

I don't think slavery would have lasted much beyond the end of the war if the Confederacy had won. Southerners for the most part had already accepted that slavery was approaching its end. It certainly was not the cause of the war. Making it a cause of the war was a master stroke of the Union though, for it gave the United States the moral high ground that it lacked when the war first started. (Lincoln actually fired a general in the Western theater for freeing slaves early in the war.) As Confederate General Longstreet said in 1863, "We should have freed the slaves and then fired on Fort Sumter."

Respectfully,
M
tijn01
Bill Clinton, just wonderful in everyway...... except when he lied
ExecuKev
Has to be Washington for me! Very Happy
MaxStirner
So much would need to be considered and so different were the times in the past 200+ years, that I simply can't answer that question. If you had asked about my favorite President, then it would have been ...
HDirtwater wrote:

.. (as 1. not 3.). I can very much identify for what he stood for, although he partly failed to do what he had set out to. Close second would have been Adlai Stevenson but not enough people "called" him Crying or Very sad .

Adlai E. Stevenson wrote:

• A diplomat's life is made up of three ingredients: protocol, Geritol and alcohol.
  • I have been tempted to make a proposal to our Republican friends: that if they stop telling lies about us, we would stop telling the truth about them.
  • A wise man who stands firm is a statesman, a foolish man who stands firm is a catastrophe.
  • I have finally figured out what the Republican orators mean by what they call 'moderate progessivism.' All they mean is: "Don't just do something. Stand there."
  • In America any boy may become President and I suppose it's just one of the risks he takes.
  • The Republicans stroke platitudes until they purr like epigrams.
  • Whenever the Republicans talk of cutting taxes first and discussing the national security second, they remind me of a very tired rich man who said to his chauffeur: "Drive off that cliff, James, I want to commit suicide."
Boffel
I dont know, but I think Obama gonna be a good president. Because he gonna win...
fx-trading-education
czc587 wrote:
Yup, I support Reagan as one of the best. While he may not have done the actual work, the job of a leader is to see that it gets done, and lots of things happened under his reign. I believe the world would be a different place if not for him.

If I remember well Reagan was already affected by his disease when he was president. Or at least it is the explanation that we can give for some of the "blackout" time he had (if I remember well, he was for instance joking saying that a nuclear war was started... very funny joke indeed)
So, don't tell me that the best president you had was the one who had a mental disease !
atombomb
Sorry to say but Most of them tried or did screw the USA in a way or another.
Some are/were better then others don't get me wrong
tony
iZen wrote:

Heh; not quite Jesus in my book. But I also vote for FDR. He was a truly great man IMO..

And terrific president. You know it must be so hard to be president; so much responsibility all on your own shoulders. And look at him; his time period, look how much he had in regards to responsibility

All I can say is - WOW! Great man, great job, FDR!

Way to gO!
ZenFountain
Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, FDR and Eisenhower in modern history. They were the right men at the right time. I personally like reading about Eisenhower because his presidency has largely been swept into the annals of time and forgotten. He really did a lot of great things setting up science programs and investing in the interstate highway system, without those investments I believe America would be a very different country today.
thylac
My vote would go to Ronald Reagan. He was known as the great communicator because of his acting training and his ability to give A+ speeches. If he needed something and Congress was draggging its feet, he would take it to the people with an effective prime time speech. The American people would take matters in their own hands and lobby their foot dragging reps. He was also tough with respect to National defense and was able to end the Cold War. The wousy stuff of the world today is nothing in comparision to the tension that existed between super powers during the cold war. The change was like getting rid of the biker gang and replacing it with annoying kids that you can no longer treats as adults. N Korea and Iran may get the bomb, but that is chicken stratch to the Soviet Union that had 1000's of bombs that reach anywhere in the world.

On the negative side, Regan's trickle down economics didn't pan out because capitalism uses greed to maximizes allocation of resources. The trickle down fron the top stopped at about the upper middle and never fully reached the middle-bottom. The union busting took away job security but was necessary to make US more competitive in the lower cost international labor markets that were beginning to expand. Losing jobs overseas, meant American jobs, but jobs overseas it the best defense against poverty and tin horn dictators.

When Reagan came to office in 1981, he inherited interest rates at 20% and high unemployment from Jimmy Carter. He turned that around to a time of prosperity in a few years. This increased the national debt due to high military spending but brought an end to the cold war. Today the debt is back down and the world is far less threatened by nuclear extinction.
nepheus
Why didn't you tell about Kenedy?
I heard that Kenedy had did many things for USA, and his scandal.
gandalfthegrey
I just watched a documentary on PBS on Andrew Jackson and I was quite impressed.

I like the following presidents :

Abe Lincoln
Teddy Roosevelt
John F. Kennedy
Andrew Jackson
Ronald Reagan

I dislike what the following presidents did during their tenture in office :
George W. Bush
Harry Truman
Woodrow Wilson - He sold us out!

"I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country.
A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit.
Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation,
therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men.
We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely
controlled and dominated governments in the civilized world.
No longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by
conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by
the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men." - Woodrow Wilson Exclamation
kreative
i dunno who was the best, but the Bush is the worst...
supjapscrapper
iZen wrote:

Roosevelt was certainly one of the greatest. For this one reason: he was intelligent enough to see the danger known today as the new world order... he warned us all againt the industrio-military complex...and we haven't been intelligent enough to take him seriously. we all, the people andgovernments of the world, fell down to the new world order.

the second greatest has got to be JFK, and his brother too, although his brother never was a president. For the right reasons, once the industrio-military complex sees that it's losing it's battle against you, to stay in the secrecy, they don't hesitate to kill you. so my answre is very simple:

ex-Aequo: Roosevelt and JF Kennedy.
Soulfire
iZen wrote:

FDR was a Communist.

It worked though.

For me, it has to be good ole Abe Lincoln. A text book answer, I am well aware, but the man saved the Union. Without him, there would be no "United States of America."
{name here}
I'd have to go with Teddy Roosevelt. He busted trusts, expanded U.S. influence (to our benefit), and setup the national park service. He was also part of a calvary, attempted to simplify English spelling (but failed), and survived an assasination attempt, and right afterwards gave a speech with the bullet still in him.

My other favorite would probably have to go with Woodrow Wilson, because he had the foresight that there would be reprocussions to some of the actions taken by the allies in World War I.

Of course, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and James Madison were all great people as well, but they're on a higher plane of existence and deserve more credit than being presidents, because they were the revolutionaries and the founding fathers.
Drawingguy
When you think about it, and perhaps this is simply an exaggeration, JFK's judgment, in the face of contrary advice, may have halted the 'end of the world.'

All drama aside, when you consider the cuban missile crisis, with the 'countdown to midnight,' one misstep would have been all it took to start some sort of nuclear war. The untold damage that such a conflict would have wrought, when one envisions it, qualifies JFK to be considered one of these top guys, I believe.
deanhills
My most favourite President is definitely Theodore Roosevelt. He showed the most integrity, he loved life and what he was doing, had the guts to take unpopular decisions and did not care whether they were at risk of himself. He is a hero of mine.

Abraham Lincoln was not as charismatic but did live during a very interesting part of the American history and had to make important decisions. He put an end to slavery.

I really liked Ronald Reagan. There was something very special about him. A very carefully spoken person who motivated every one. He had a knack of not making any enemies. I liked his style.

I am very sorry John Kennedy's reign got cut short so early in his life. He was very special to me. He was young, had lots of guts, was super intelligent, and was like a breath of fresh air after decades of old cronies. Wonder whether that is the very reason that he got assassinated. His passing was very sad to me and it would be interesting to wonder about his accomplishments if he had had the opportunity to stay on. Also sorry about Bobby's passing. That was indeed a sad chapter in the history of US Presidents.

We do not hear much about him, but I cannot help but admire Jimmy Carter for his ability to survive. I was not too crazy about him as a President as he gave me the impression of being totally naive. Particularly regarding the Iranian Embassy crisis. But still, it would appear his major works all came after the end of his Presidency. He did not retire and is still working hard for world peace.

I am not as much of a fan of Franklin Roosevelt, even when he is given as a fantastic President. Think most Presidents would have done well at the time and he was lucky to to have been President at a time in US History when US was in demand by its European allies. I still wonder whether Pearl Harbour could have been avoided.

Harry Trueman and Woodrow Wilson were Presidents during a very dark era for me. Definitely of my less favourite Presidents.
liljp617
Washington considering there's a slight possibility our country wouldn't exist in this nature without him.

What is funny about people saying Lincoln is that he was one of the most unpopular presidents of his day. Makes you think Razz
deanhills
liljp617 wrote:
Washington considering there's a slight possibility our country wouldn't exist in this nature without him.

What is funny about people saying Lincoln is that he was one of the most unpopular presidents of his day. Makes you think Razz

Why do you think Lincoln was so unpopular? Was it because he rarely smiled and was a little stiff and formal? Or just the way he looked? Or the political tensions of the day? How did he become President if he was so unpopular? Curious ... Smile
Moonspider
deanhills wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

Why do you think Lincoln was so unpopular? Was it because he rarely smiled and was a little stiff and formal? Or just the way he looked? Or the political tensions of the day? How did he become President if he was so unpopular? Curious ... Smile

Well, I’d say that since he won the election in 1860 without even campaigning in the South (I believe he may have won one or two counties in all of the southern states) and the fact that seven states seceded from the union because of his election speaks to the notion that he wasn’t that popular in 1860.

Lincoln was the first Republican president, an anti-slavery party founded in 1854. Many Southerners perceieved his election, accomplished by winning only the North, a region to which the South already had grievances, as a threat to their way of life and independence.

Lincoln is my favorite president, but during the war he was arguably a tyrant, certainly no president has ever wielded more power in the history of the United States! I believe that he had to be so in order to restore the union, but Americans in this century would probably tie the hands of any president who attempted such draconian measures today. Many people scream about President Bush trampling the U.S. Constitution, but compared to Lincoln, President Bush is as liberal as they come with regard to civil liberties and constitutional protections. Here are some examples of Lincoln’s actions during the War Between the States:

1. Suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus – As Yale professor Joshua Kleinfeld said, “when Lincoln suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus, he clothed himself with more power then any individual had possessed in America before, or since.” (BTW, Franklin Roosevelt used this precedent to suspend the writ and imprison Japanese-Americans during World War II.)
  2. Declared Martial Law – Went so far as to arrest people for protesting the war and shutting down anti-war newspapers. And since the writ of habeas corpus had been suspended, there was nothing they could do about it.
  3. Had Congressman Vallandigham of Ohio (an outspoken political opponent) taken into custody by armed soldiers in the middle of the night, thrown in a military prison, convicted by military tribunal of treason because of a speech he gave in the House of Representatives, and was promptly deported.
  4. Issued an arrest warrant for Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger Taney after Taney issued an opinion that only congress could suspend habeas corpus.

His assassination also speaks to his unpopularity, in no small part due to his perceived tyranny. Remember, his assassination was part of a wider conspiracy (born out of the war, to be sure) and carried out by the second-most photographed man of the era (second only to Lincoln himself). That assassination would be akin to Harrison Ford walking up to a president today and killing him.

Respectfully,
M
EyesBlu
I can't quantify a president as "Best" but there are a few presidents as a history major that I have a lot of respect for, particularly Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt(FDR), Kennedy, and Clinton.

I've never understood the collective boner a perceived majority of the American people have for Reagan. I see a lot of problems which could in part traced to his administration, then again I have been called a liberal, to a lot of Americans that means I have no credibility.
Moonspider
EyesBlu wrote:
I can't quantify a president as "Best" but there are a few presidents as a history major that I have a lot of respect for, particularly Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt(FDR), Kennedy, and Clinton.

I've never understood the collective boner a perceived majority of the American people have for Reagan. I see a lot of problems which could in part traced to his administration, then again I have been called a liberal, to a lot of Americans that means I have no credibility.

What problems do you trace in part to he Reagan administration? Why do you rank Clinton so high among the presidents?

Respectfully,
M
EyesBlu
Many problems with our economy are caused by Reagan's deregulation of big business. He also used his influence to cut health spending and damaged our reputation world wide. He evicted tens of thousands of mentally ill patients from public facilities.

I rate Bill Clinton highly because he balanced the budget and had an effective foreign policy. His well executed intervention in Kosovo a great accomplishment, an example of what Americans should be like.
deanhills
EyesBlu wrote:
I rate Bill Clinton highly because he balanced the budget and had an effective foreign policy. His well executed intervention in Kosovo a great accomplishment, an example of what Americans should be like.

Bill Clinton was a great diplomat as well. Came across positively all over the world with respect for all human beings. He has a modesty as well as a touch of humbleness that is charming. In contrast with Bush who comes across aggressive, arrogant, tactless and lacking in respect.

Reagan was a fantastic diplomat as well as endearing. But the points made about healthcare cuts and enriching the rich to the detriment of the poor are valid. Not too crazy about the Republican Party behind him at the time. Not so sure that he was a strong and active President either, perhaps more of a front person for more powerful players behind him.
ptfrances
In my mind, Washington, Lincoln and Roosevelt are the three president who best had represented their country.
Wink
polygon
Bill Clinton is probably my favorite president! He was able to put our country into a surplus (he got rid of the national debt). I'm just mad that Bush ruined all that! Also, why do many republicans blame Clinton for the trouble BUSH has got us in!!! I guess I'll never know.
stan
Have you, the poster, even read anything about FDR biography? How can you say he's the greatest without say at least 1 reason why?

Mine would be Kenedy, he was a great politician that put a man to the moon and dealt with Civil right movement.
deanhills
shaybutta0 wrote:
History is the study of the past, particularly using written records. New technology, such as photography, and computer text files now sometimes complement traditional archival sources. History is a field of research producing a continuous narrative and a systematic analysis of past events of importance to the human race.[1] Those who study history as a profession are called historians.

Hmmmmmm .... interesting factoids Idea So how does this fit in with the thread, i.e. who is your favourite President and why?
mejo1900
I used to think Lincoln was until I got disillusioned by learning that his freeing the slaves was a war strategy and nothing more. That being said he did keep the union together...so that should count for something. FDR was kinda wicked awesome. I mean he did what no president had ever done before and changed the role of the government. Johnson also did a lot for social improvement though, putting him at the top of my list. BUT my favorite president of all time is Washington. He layed down so many presidential rituals and created a job out of nothing. Thats amazing.
deanhills
mejo1900 wrote:
BUT my favorite president of all time is Washington. He layed down so many presidential rituals and created a job out of nothing. Thats amazing.

He was also a soldier in war, fought alongside his country men. For that time he must have been a larger than life kind of person. I also like Teddie Roosevelt. He was President during some challenging times, and he seems to have rised to the occasion, being a family man as well as very charismatic in his approach.
ptfrances
I can't say really which President of the US has been the best but for sure Mr Bush is one of the worst... in the world. Wink
muffinman187
it seem the majority of the post here mention Washington, Lincoln and FDR.

i feel Andrew Jackson, James Monroe, Theodore Roosevelt, and William McKinley are worth mentioning
Moonspider
polygon wrote:
Bill Clinton is probably my favorite president! He was able to put our country into a surplus (he got rid of the national debt). I'm just mad that Bush ruined all that! Also, why do many republicans blame Clinton for the trouble BUSH has got us in!!! I guess I'll never know.

Take a step backwards, do some research, and try to examine the Clinton administration with an unbiased, analytical eye and you may come to understand their opinion even if you may still disagree with it.

Respectfully,
M
deanhills
I'm still amazed that Bush can be singly responsible for so many serious blunders of the variety that came close to impeachment, yet he survived. That should make him a dictator of sorts, and we're talking about a free country here. Surely some of this responsibility should be shared by the people of the United States who elected him to that position of power? He was in office for eight years.
Xanatos
iZen wrote:

I am going to get a lot of flak for this but FDR's plans to get America out of depression were all copied from Hitler. FDR didn't really do anything new at all.
deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
iZen wrote:

I am going to get a lot of flak for this but FDR's plans to get America out of depression were all copied from Hitler. FDR didn't really do anything new at all.

Can you back this up with some evidence?
Xanatos
deanhills wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
iZen wrote:

Can you back this up with some evidence?

Yeah, there is quite alot actually..
Quote:
Roosevelt's New Deal and Hitler's New Order

Hjalmar Schacht challenged his post-war Nuremburg interrogators with the observation that Hitler's New Order program was the same as Roosevelt's New Deal program in the United States. The interrogators understandably snorted and rejected the observation. However, a little research suggests that not only are the two programs quite similar in content, but that Germans had no trouble in observing the similarities. There is in the Roosevelt Library a small book presented to FDR by Dr. Helmut Magers in December 1933.20 On the flyleaf of this presentation copy is written the inscription,

To the President of the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt, in profound admiration of his conception of a new economic order and with devotion for his personality. The author, Baden, Germany, November 9, 1933.

FDR's reply to this admiration for his new economic order was as follows:21

(Washington) December 19, 1933

My dear Dr. Magers: I want to send you my thanks for the copy of your little book about me and the "New Deal." Though, as you know, I went to school in Germany and could speak German with considerable fluency at one time, I am reading your book not only with great interest but because it will help my German.

Very sincerely yours,

and
Quote:
The New Deal was a copy of Fascist policies.

The New Deal was almost an exact copy of Hitler and Mussolini’s fascist policies in the 1920s and 30s. A good understanding of economics quickly leads one to conclude that the New Deal was not only bad, it was horrible, most people refuse to accept that it has been a dismal failure and instead look the other way. “The Nightmare of the New Deal” shows some of these problems with Roosevelt and his policies which Hitler is rumored to have applauded.

deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
Yeah, there is quite alot actually..
Quote:
Roosevelt's New Deal and Hitler's New Order

Hjalmar Schacht challenged his post-war Nuremburg interrogators with the observation that Hitler's New Order program was the same as Roosevelt's New Deal program in the United States. The interrogators understandably snorted and rejected the observation. However, a little research suggests that not only are the two programs quite similar in content, but that Germans had no trouble in observing the similarities. There is in the Roosevelt Library a small book presented to FDR by Dr. Helmut Magers in December 1933.20 On the flyleaf of this presentation copy is written the inscription,

To the President of the United States, Franklin D. Roosevelt, in profound admiration of his conception of a new economic order and with devotion for his personality. The author, Baden, Germany, November 9, 1933.

FDR's reply to this admiration for his new economic order was as follows:21

(Washington) December 19, 1933

My dear Dr. Magers: I want to send you my thanks for the copy of your little book about me and the "New Deal." Though, as you know, I went to school in Germany and could speak German with considerable fluency at one time, I am reading your book not only with great interest but because it will help my German.

Very sincerely yours,

and
Quote:
The New Deal was a copy of Fascist policies.

The New Deal was almost an exact copy of Hitler and Mussolini’s fascist policies in the 1920s and 30s. A good understanding of economics quickly leads one to conclude that the New Deal was not only bad, it was horrible, most people refuse to accept that it has been a dismal failure and instead look the other way. “The Nightmare of the New Deal” shows some of these problems with Roosevelt and his policies which Hitler is rumored to have applauded.

This is really interesting and now has my attention. Is it possible to provide the links to the quotes?
Xanatos
I would if I could remember where I got them from. I wasn't on my computer when I posted them so I don't have the sites saved anywhere. There is a lot of information though. Just go to google and type in Roosevelt, New Deal, Hitler. Lots of stuff pops up.
gaxtest
Barak obama Wink
Josso
gaxtest wrote:
Barak obama Wink

I knew SOMEONE would come along and say this. We can't really tell at the moment can we?
gaxtest
Of course u know I was joking Laughing
themarine
Truman's decision to drop the bomb was arguably not much of a decision. Under Roosevelt, the Manhattan Project had been proceeding as if the drop were the ultimate goal, not simply the creation of a bomb. Scientists were, for the most part, debating drop sites - not morals.
There was also concern that Russia would enter the war if it dragged on too long, and this would mean communism in Japan. A demonstration was argued, but this suggestion was trashed because I was unsure that this would be enough to sway Japan, and scientists were not sure if it would work.

When Truman took office after the death of the popular Roosevelt, he had to keep his popularity up. Many were shocked that the new president had been a small-town farmer. He wanted to end the war, it was a drain to his popularity, and many were dying. Whether it was right or wrong, he continued Roosevelt's plan, and ordered the drop. It effectively ended the war.. after two bombs were dropped (Truman ordered the third to be withheld).

Anyways, Truman had reactively low popularity levels during his presidency, but after it, many looked back on Truman as a good president. Only after his presidency did they fully appreciate his policy.
manlear
I would have to go with George Washington. Not because he was our first. Because he led our nation through 2 wars and was careful with what he did. He knew that the presidents to follow would follow his example so he set precedents. Overall definitely my favorite.
pscompanies
I consider Lincoln to be the best president. The Civil War could've split the country and prevented us from becoming the prosperous world power that we are. Lincoln single-handedly (well, almost) prevented that.
supernova1987a
I dont know. Wht about JFK? He sent men to the moon. That was one of the greatest achievements. In fact it took just 10 years. It was amazing.
This quote always comes to my mind:
"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"- JFK
hersandal
In my opinion, even though I ain't american citizen yet. I would choose Abraham Lincoln. He's into equal right of the people. As what he state during his presidency. "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" Well as a person that what we should always do, we need to make things right for our country and not just wait what the country could do for us.
kovok
Ronald Regan.
iman
Lincoln. Because he got through all that shit.
mengshi200
Washington,certaily No.1
without he create system ,afterthat may be not a lot of excellent political star.
app893
I agree with the 1st floor comment.
gh0strec0n_legit
FDR. He got us out of the depression, created jobs, stirred the economy. Created many of the things that are still a major but of our life in America today like Social Security, insuring the banks, and the list just goes on.
yagnyavalkya
Abraham Lincoln
timothymartin
George Washington. He got us started.
Crockett024
Abraham Lincoln by far because states succeeded from the Union before Lincoln became president so Lincoln inherited a divided country. But with everything that was happening with him (his sons dying, his wife going insane) he still managed to defeat the confederacy and unite the country.
Hello_World
Without being American myself, I'd probably say Kennedy must have been, and Lincoln. The good ones get assassinated. Dangerous job being a good US president.

Clinton seemed quite personable. Shame his presidency get hijacked by the obbession with his sex life, I'm not completely sure what he did besides that woman, but he seemed likable. Obama seems likable too, but too early to comment.
nevelis
Ronald Reagan. Definitely. Excellent style, manners, presence. Real gentleman. Precise, consistent even in unpopular decisions.
Kusemun
For me, the best president in United States is Abraham Lincoln. He guaranteed the union between north and south in the US. Look at this quote that he made during the war:
"A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure, permanently, half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become alike lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South." - Abraham Lincoln

Also, there are some people that say that he never lied! And he is one of the four presidents that are in the Rushmore Mount!
Iceaxe0410
I don't think I could pick any one single president as the best. But, if I had to just pick one, I think I would probably go with George Washington. He was the first president and set the example for those that followed. One could say he formed the foundation for future presidents.

He also has my respect for being the only president to not be part of a faction or party. His actions and motives weren't tainted by party influences which has plagued more recent presidencies.
linux1993
I think Lincoln and Roosevelt are very important to USA's development
VaderX
I feel that Barack Obama is the great president of the United States. The Presidents before him had their flaws. Obama has made very little mistakes. He is a man of honor and Respect and he is also a very smart man. He looking to give America back to the people. This can't be argued because he is just that damn good.
tntr
I'm not American but my American history teacher criticize Lincoln badly. Lincoln had almost 5-30 times bigger army than the South's but he totally lost in the first two years of the war, and only won because the South's general made a rash decision.

Furthermore, in the beginning, the Civil War has nothing to do with abolition of slavery, but only to preserve the Union. The real reason the North went to war is not abolition of slavery, and Lincoln does not deserve to be praised as a hero who fights for slaves' freedom. He serves his government, not his people, so he is like almost all of the other presidents.

IMO, the best president should minimize government's power, and let the people govern themselves, as much as possible. George Washington is somewhat not qualified for this standard because he created the first national bank, aka centralized economic power in the government, but he's still the best of all US Presidents, at least for me... because other presidents only did their jobs, and Washington was the first one, and he did well Wink
RosenCruz
I would vote for FDR. Hard tmes, good people, hard working president to get things fixed.
zaxacongrejo
reagen
clinton
testsoc
tntr wrote:
I'm not American but my American history teacher criticize Lincoln badly. Lincoln had almost 5-30 times bigger army than the South's but he totally lost in the first two years of the war, and only won because the South's general made a rash decision.

Lincoln was a president, a lawyer, not a general or soldier. If anyone was to blame for early Union losses, it was Old Fuss and Feathers, Winfield Scott, and the ineffectual George McClellan.

I would most likely say FDR, though.
enilsoncba
iZen wrote:

In my view, Mr. Abraham Lincoln was the best president the U.S. ever had. The man who ended the Civil War and ended slavery. After Franklin Roosevelt picked him.
Lincoln helped the United States out of the Great Depression and led the nation during World War II as the best president since independence in 1789. Roosevelt, behind Lincoln and George Washington, the first American head of state, has perhaps benefited the environment of financial crisis we are experiencing today. This may have led the study authors to enhance the performance of the charge by the New Deal, the series of economic measures in the 1930s that helped the U.S. economy recover. The tenant of the White House between 1933 and 1945 came in first in three of the five categories analyzed: agenda, internal leadership and external leadership.
theShadow
Well, I'm not an American but judging by what I've read, Theodore Roosevelt!
He was the most, umm...how do I put this...Badass! Laughing
Excellsior
The Misses Institute posted a lecture on this very subject which is very different from the generally accepted views, the politically correct history that this board is overwhelmingly reflecting. I recommend anyone that is unfamiliar with this to listen to it. It was interesting to note that the generally accepted presidents made the bottom of the list while the least known presidents made the top.

http://mises.org/media/1078/From-Bad-to-Worse-Interventionist-Bias-in-Conventional-Presidential-Rankings

I was glad to see a few posts pointing out the tyranny of Lincoln and FDR though. Lincoln did indeed suspend the writ of Habeous Corpus and imprisoned political dissidents including the illegal closure of numerous newspapers. Lincoln also introduced the first form of income tax to pay for his conquest. His suppression of lawful succession led to the murdering of thousands. The Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions ensured states would maintain their sovereignty through nullification. Basically government was expected to not police itself. If government was violating the constitution, the states would nullify or ignore it. Being more agricultural dominated, the north was basically taking economic advantage of the south through tariffs and taxes. The states had originally voluntarily joined the union and were forced to stay in it. Slavery was never the issue and was well out the door without government interference just as New York had done in 1855.

After this war, states no longer had the same sovereignty once enjoyed by citizens of their respective states. The federal government began grow into the leviathan we know today. Prior to the "Civil War" the only involvement of federal government in peoples lives was the mail service. Today every part of our lives is directly or INDIRECTLY affected by government but that can be a different post. States are fighting unconstitutional measures today but mention nullification and you are immediately hanged at noon.

Most all wars involve economic oppression over somebody else. Throughout world history succession has usually always unsuccessfully ended in bloodshed. The dictator of Soviet Russia crushed succession and quoted Abraham Lincoln doing the same thing, a dangerous precedent had been set.

Thomas J. Dilorenzo has posted lectures on this subject. He speaks clearly and precise with quality audio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVmgUqv8ZcE

FDR who is considered a Jesus in mainstream institutions was also a Hamiltonian just as Lincoln and his failure government programs reflected just that. Many economists argue that the depression was caused by the very element that is believed to end it- government. President Hoover is often blamed for the Hawley-Smoot Tariff. There is just so much wrong with the "New Deal" that it should offend every American with enough guts to defy government control. Our money continues to devalue, costs of goods rise, and wages remain low. Whenever government takes money from someone else, that is less power people have to make decisions such as investments, purchasing of goods, or savings etc. With absolutely zero oversight to police the government, what motivation does government have to spend wisely? In the private market, if a firm makes bad decisions or wastes revenue, it could go under. If the government makes bad spending decisions, it gets more funding. And if anyone speaks out against it, that person hates children or magically racist.

A more popular book to reference would be "The Raw Deal".
http://www.amazon.com/New-Deal-Raw-Economic-Damaged/dp/1416592377

So to answer the question, I would have to agree with Mises. That Martin Van Buren was the greatest American president. Instead of starting wars like all the populars, he avoided war. At the time, the only form of revenue for the federal government was tariffs and he said they are too damn high. I like that guy.

I may have gotten a few things wrong recalling from memory, feel free to correct it. The topic of best presidents covers basically all subjects of history and economics, given that most people won't even have the discipline to read a full post. This does not demerit the value of the matter of knowing our country's history in order to fix it.
12phabie
budiman wrote:

former president Clinton got my vote as well. I mean this man is just sexy as heck.
pravojednostavno
Abraham Lincoln - in my opinion, he was one of the best leaders ever live on the earth;
John Fitzgerald Kennedy - very charismatic person.
pravojednostavno
Abraham Lincoln
pravojednostavno
Abraham Lincoln
pravojednostavno
Abraham Lincoln
Blaster
Lincoln was a good President don't get me wrong but there are other great presidents.

FDR got us through WWII. He had polio and still kept this country together. A lot got done with FDR in office.

JFK was great for the country. He did a lot to help with civil rights. He was the first catholic president.

Reagan also did a lot for this country. He was the peoples president and ended the cold war. Plus he had some of the greatest quotes of any president I can think of.

Clinton was the president when I was born. He survived a sex scandal and the nation was just doing really well in his presidency.

Even George W. Bush didn't do that terrible as president. He dealt with an internal terrorist attack and lead the nation as he should have.

There are quite a few others that I didn't touch on these are the ones I know a little bit about though.

Coming from an American Citizen
zimmer
pravojednostavno wrote:
Abraham Lincoln

Yes, i think so.

Also President Obama is also good one.
jajarvin
Ronald Reagen.
He was a fine actor and in order to be a fine president you must behave like an actor.
william
I'm surprised by all the praise Lincoln and FDR are receiving. They make strong cases for being the worst we've ever had. Excellsior covers the reasons quite well a few posts above, so I have no need to elaborate there. However, in my opinion, Wilson probably has both of them beat. Before I go on, I'd like to apologize for any errors since this is going by memory.

Under Woodrow Wilson, we were hit with the juggernaut known as the Federal Reserve. I can go on and on about the negative effects it has had on the economy, and I'm willing to discuss it if someone wishes. But regardless, it is unconstitutional, and raises the question if this republic is really becoming an oligarchy. He also, arguably, stomped on civil liberties and racial equality more than anyone else who held the office since the war of the states. Why else would he fire African-American federal employees and segregate the Navy? Why else would he say (and I'm paraphrasing here) that universal suffrage is at the foundation of evil in this country? Furthermore, this is the man (and yes, you can mostly blame Congress for this, however many were following his lead) that was involved in bringing us the putrid 16th amendment (which allows Congress to levy a federal income tax) and the the 17th amendment, which arguably deprived states of their power by making for direct senator elections. The man also unnecessarily got us into World War I and paved the path for the endless warfare that still plagues us today. We had the first draft since war of the states, he promoted labor union growth, took over the railroads, and made every effort imaginable to suppress vocal opposition. We got the Espionage Act of 1917 and the Sedition Act of 1918 so all anti-war opinions could be muted, along with any anti-British sentiments. Instead of negotiating peace, they brought Germany down to her knees and paved the path to 20th century bloodshed. The Treaty of Versailles was a failure and the League of Nations strictly stands against the principals of the republic. Oh, and don't forget the federal drug prohibition.

As for the best ever, hard to pick, but I'd list: John Tyler, Martin Van Buren, Grover Cleveland, and James Madison.

John Tyler was a man of honor. Rather than engaging in warfare and bloodshed, he worked to end conflict with Native Americans and didn't invoke use of the military to solve simple border disputes with Canada. He remained peaceful, and that's something that we, as human beings, should respect. And of course, he vetoed a lot of legislation that would centralize our economy and raise tariffs. Back then, there was no income tax (it's how it should be, if you ask me...enacting it simply states that people aren't entitled to the fruits of their labor) but only tariffs as a way for the federal government to make money (and, I suppose, selling federally owned land as well). Despite that, he tried to lower them.

Martin Van Buren was similar to Tyler. Didn't want to engage in war, stayed out of economy, and let Americans prosper from their own work. During the eve of a recession, he stayed calm instead of compromising the constitution and trying to enact policies to enable relief. Guess what? It worked.

Grover Cleveland is probably the last good president we've had, in my opinion. There have been some OK ones, but nobody I could call "good". Cleveland supported sound money, vetoed pointless legislation, and opposed corruption. One of my favorite points in his career was when Congress was trying to enact a bill that would help out farmers in the drought-stricken south by appropriating seeds. Sounds noble, but the government isn't exactly good at doing anything efficiently or effectively. He vetoed the bill because the constitution (which, by the way, overpowers the whims of any elected official) did not give the federal government this power. He pointed out that the countrymen would be willing to help others in times of need. So he reached out to them, and the results were more beneficial than anything the government could have hoped to accomplish. It's important to note that if the government tries to help everywhere, then our own character is weakened and we become dependent. That, I feel, goes against the American spirit, and Grover Cleveland understood that.

James Madison was probably the best of the founding founders who became president. Washington made a few errors and does have a somewhat over-glorified presidency in the history books, Jefferson was (quite unfortunately) bordering on hypocritical, and John Adams...oh my (Alien and Sedition Act). The Americans were successful in the War of 1812, without raising taxes, compromising liberty for safety, no draft, and he stayed within the limits of the constitution. And note, this isn't a war that was initiated by him, it was actually a war that served a defensive purpose. He quite wisely states, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."

So yeah, there are my views. Probably the best way to use my 1776th post. Razz
Blaster
Lets face it though William, First of all Lincoln and FDR are presidents that are well known for their time in history. Lincoln for his abolition of Slavery and FDR for World War 2. Not saying that either of these 2 presidents didn't do any bad. FDR is one of the only presidents I can think of that has had more than 2 terms which even Washington never wanted.

Wilson was a great president as well.

And for anyone saying that Obama is a good President I really want to know if you are from the US... The other question to that statement I will keep to myself.
william
Oh yeah, no doubt that they're well known, and perhaps that's why they're so well regarded. But, to be honest, the adventures both Lincoln and FDR undertook make for a very engaging story, so they click with readers. The greatest presidents, in my opinion, had rather mundane tenures in office, but the country was prosperous and the executives obeyed the law. The office of president isn't that powerful, he/she is the commander-in-chief of the army and navy, the chief diplomat, the chief administrator, the chief legislator, and the chief magistrate. All of these roles are defined in the Constitution and, unfortunately, the story-worthy presidents went beyond what they were legally allowed to do. And just because they are well known doesn't mean they have to be good. A good story, sure, but not good from the point of view of the Republic. And both Washington and Jefferson were well known and, although not perfect, can be regarded as good presidents (also, I am only assessing their tenures in office, if you consider what they did outside of the presidency they are in a class of their own).

Lincoln had no qualms preserving the institution of slavery if it meant the Union could be retained. That was his main goal, to preserve the Union. If abolishing it from the start would have preserved the Union, he would have gone that route. He wasn't an abolitionist from any point of view, and crediting him for the end of slavery undermines the work of people like William Lloyd Garrison, Frederick Douglass, and John Brown (who was militant only for the abolition of slavery, which can't really be said about those actively fighting in the War). Also consider that when he freed the slaves, he only did so in the Confederate states, which was arguably to bring the slaves onto the Union's side. Border states like Maryland and Delaware still had slavery. Also, the War was extremely costly, both in money and in blood. If he really wanted to free the slaves, he could have bought all their freedom for much less, and the bloodshed likely wouldn't have happened. It's also important to note that the cause of the War was much more than slavery, and could be summed as growing differences between northern and southern states. Some look at the Confederates as evil-doers who supported one of the most disgusting actions of the human race. And true, some did, but most were poor farmers who only fought to protect their homes. It was an unfortunate calamity between brethren that could have been avoided and we could still have brought an end to slavery.

Just because FDR was president during World War II doesn't mean he made the right, or legal, decisions. Most presidents before him didn't seek a third term because they followed the tradition set by Washington. The circumstances were dire during the time, so I can see why he succeeded in winning four terms. But, because of those circumstances, I don't think it's fair to say he was elected because the country adored him or anything. Let's consider a few things he did. Executive Order 9066, which paved the way to deporting the Japanese Americans into terrible internment camps (where innocent citizens were malnourished, lost their possessions and their homes, and were undignified). It was a complete violation of their civil liberties and captured the essence of FDR's racism. Speaking of racism, this is the man who invited over white athletes from the 1936 Olympics but didn't even recognize Jesse Owens, who, if I recall correctly had won 4 medals for the US. His minimum wage requirements also cost about half a million southern blacks their jobs. Which moves us swiftly over to the economic woes he caused and have plagued us to this day. The huge expansion of the welfare state, his collectivist policies, his gold confiscation, and his almost limitless control of the economy didn't do anything to save us from the Depression (which many economists will argue was caused from government intervention). It wasn't even the War that got us out of the Depression either, but rather the tremendous tax cuts and business opportunities that could only be created once the War had ended. I could write a book on the illegal things he did with the economy. Here's another one: the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933. Basically, American farmers were prospering by exporting a ton of crops to Europe, which still had a weak economy at the time. By the time the economy improved, the American farmers were left with too many crops. Thus, prices dropped, which was great for consumers. But the act came forth and offered subsidies to the farmers to kill the livestock and destroy the excess crops. This raised prices, which may have been good for the farmers, but not for anyone else. I can't fathom how destruction of useful goods can bring any prosperity. And what's more is that acts like these were deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court (which was doing its job). But then, to counter it, FDR proposed the Judicial Procedures Reform Bill, which would allow him to add more justices to the court who would be more supportive of his illegal acts. It didn't pass, but since a couple justices retired shortly afterwards, FDR was able to pack the court as he pleased. He certainly did a lot during his presidency, but he legally did not have the power to do many of those things. And by doing so much, he took away from the American people, undermined their liberties, and compromised the economy. Again, it makes for great reads in the history books, but it doesn't automatically make him a good president.

Regarding Wilson, he, himself, said, "I am an unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country." To me, that's actually the one positive point I can think of in his presidency, that he had it in him to admit what he did.

I won't even touch on Obama or any recent presidents since I feel that will delve too deep into politics (which I'm already bordering on above). It's just not something I enjoy discussing on forums because it can get unnecessarily heated and personal. History, on the other hand, is quite interesting (I really should have spent more time in this subforum back when it was active). Very Happy
Blaster
True. I never seen myself as a big President buff so I must say I'm a bit ignorant on the subject. Like I said these people are well known and I know some of the basis of what they did while in office. I'm sure most history books you read you will notice all the good things the President did. Very little is said about the bad things that they did while in office.

In what I'm studying I would have to say George Bush was one of the better Presidents. Only for the fact of what he did with the Department of Homeland Security. Which was placed into law with the Patriot Act. Not to mention what he did with Emergency Management. Its because of his presidency that we have things like ICS and NIMS. Because of these we can now work in a unified command structure in the event of another attack on the country or for what ever other reason may come about. This makes it easier for emergency responders to do their jobs.

But back onto the main point not many Presidents, if any, havn't done something that wasn't in the nations best interest. And the list is even less on presidents that where 100% honest or lawful.
dgualtieri
I think Bill gets overlooked....
Iceaxe0410
Lots of choices, but I'd go with Washington and Lincoln. Washington set the standards. Although not all of them were followed which a shame. The two term presidency seems like a good balance. He also cautioned the use of political parties and he was right. I see political parties as more of a detriment to the system then not. It's too bad that didn't catch on. Lincoln like others said helped end slavery and kept the union together. Although he did have to fight for it in the civil war.

As for other presidents, I'm not too confident to pick any others except maybe FDR. There are others that were important figures, but not necessarily because of their presidency.
supermanlovejan
Clinton....................
jajarvin
The best President for you is of course always the current President.
chrislim
My vote goes to Abraham Lincoln (although he lived way before I was born).
Myrecords
I'll go with[FDR]because he saved the country and started[Social security]although it's a mess today,now having said that,let me say this...FDR was a racist whose wife was the progressive one and looked upon other races favorably although her husband got the credit.
deanhills
Myrecords wrote:
I'll go with[FDR]because he saved the country and started[Social security]although it's a mess today,now having said that,let me say this...FDR was a racist whose wife was the progressive one and looked upon other races favorably although her husband got the credit.
I'd say he was also a great example for being disabled and a great achiever on top of that. Amazing what he accomplished in spite of being in bad health. Had to have a pretty strong will power to have overcome his physical disabilities. Four presidencies instead of just two. Pretty damn amazing!
RosenCruz
US needs an era of idealism and hard work. Like they did in the first half of 1900s
Myrecords
RosenCruz wrote:
US needs an era of idealism and hard work. Like they did in the first half of 1900s
I agree, but we both know that time has sadly passed...too much technology and money.
Josso
JFK
RosenCruz
Josso wrote:
JFK

I think he is overrated
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Josso wrote:
JFK

I think he is overrated
Totally impressed with your point of view. I could NEVER understand the preoccupation with JFK. Neither possibly the people who were responsible for his passing. Mind you there hasn't been an American President who stands out for a unique leadership contribution in a very VERY long time. Maybe Franklin D Roosevelt during WWII. Like being his own person and being able to risk being unpopular to make effective decisions.
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
Josso wrote:
JFK

I think he is overrated
Totally impressed with your point of view. I could NEVER understand the preoccupation with JFK. Neither possibly the people who were responsible for his passing. Mind you there hasn't been an American President who stands out for a unique leadership contribution in a very VERY long time. Maybe Franklin D Roosevelt during WWII. Like being his own person and being able to risk being unpopular to make effective decisions.

I have read some articles about his presidency. I do not think he made very important moves. He had some good ideas and ideals. I agree. However, he was mostly backed up by a good PR team, very hot days of cold war.

FDR really is my guy. A true American leader. Wink
SonLight
In my view, JFK was not president for long enough to know what kind of president he might have been. He did seem to have some good ideals, and certainly encouraged cooperation among diverse groups of people. History probably would have been much less kind to him about the Bay of Pigs fiasco if he had not been assassinated. He is given credit for the Cuban missile crisis because it turned out well, and certainly deserves credit. No one wants to ask the hard questions about whether the risks of the confrontation could have been avoided, though.

Because JFK encouraged idealism, it was fairly easy for Johnson, who was a consummate politician (much more so than Kennedy) to push through the agenda items he agreed with. Thus, history gives Kennedy a great deal of credit for the civil rights movement and winning the moon race, both of which he certainly encouraged. We really don't know how well JFK would have done persuing these programs on his own. Most Americans desire to give JFK the benefit of the doubt, knowing that he ultimately lost his life in service for his country, and that the US very successfully carried out a number of the ideals he shared with us.