FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Remember when....

Blaster
iThis really is to older members of frihost. So new members probley won't understand this.

But does anyone remember what frihost used to be like. When the topics where differnt and all. When things seemed a lot simpler. When n0obie4life was around.

Some events i remember from frihost.

I remember when frihost was pretty small.
I remember when the marketplace forum was in the general area and there was a lot less forums
I remember when frihost got a lot of new mods and the forums changed up
I remember when bondings changed the color of the forum skin from regular subsilver to what you see now
I remember when we did rainboxing
I remember when frihost had its first party
I remember n4ls paint banners
I remember the 5 in a row contest
I remember when we got like 2.5 points and frih for each post
I remember when i used to get a little page saying that i can't earn anymore frih because i went over so many posts Very Happy

To old users of frihost what else do you remember?

Do you like the old way or the new way?

Personaly i like the older frihost. It was nicer then i think and the topics where better. And bondings was more active in the community.
djcaution
you can get to a page saying you cant earn any more points because you posted too much???

whoa Shocked
Blaster
i did when i like posted i think 30 posts in like 6 hours i got that message.
pampoon
I'm not as old as you Blaster, but I do remember most of the things you listed. There used to be a smaller community with simple yet complex posts that you would get into.

Also, people were all okay with each other. No one really fought much, and the boundaries were few and far between.

I agree. The older days were much better. Bondings and the other mods have to worry more about the hosting side of FriHost instead of the community.

(These are just my opinions)

God bless,
Pampoon
Blaster
yea i liked it then. Now it seems like bondings doesn't have time to post in the community. And what i mean about old is like from last june or so. I think the staff is a lot more stressed out now. Before it was a lot less complex. The community was nicer and all. I agree there were less fights. Now it seems like frihost is kind of going down hill in quality posts. Like i remember when just about all my topics had like 5 or 6 pages. And everything was of good quality. Also i remeber gonzo Very Happy
TheGustav
I'm by no means old... Very Happy But it sounds like it would be a tad better back then... With good quality posts instead of numerous lacking ones....

But with popularity comes much more people, which usually will result in the posts lacking in quality, just for points in this case. Smile
Blaster
It was a lot better back then... I MISS BONDINGS POSTS Sad

But really it was a lot better then.
reddishblue
I am actually quite young in this community, but I miss the great posters we used to have, one of my favourites was Sunburned Cactus (I think...), but I missed the real Frihost golden age...and Server 1 hosting...I wish I had that Razz
Blaster
yea i made it a little after server 2. I remember when server 2 completely crashed. OMG what a night mare.
Scorpio
Actually I made it to this community just sometime after Server 2 Crashed.. So, my account request couldn't be done for quite some time..

All the account requests were closed. Back then I wondered if this place was any good at all, but I have a firm opinion now..

Quote:
I remember when i used to get a little page saying that i can't earn anymore frih because i went over so many posts

I hit this once, but now a days I dont even know if it exists because I dont post that much..
In those days, I had an avg. of around 22 posts per day.. Now its dwindled a lot to around 6 or something.. and thats only coz of my earlier posts..
Blaster
bondings changed it after i complained. And that server 2 crash was hard on everyone.
engeland
I guess i have a say in this ... Laughing

I like the older Frihost. I remember that those were the days i would come back to time and again or more often to ask for help in setting up my website. It was much more interactive that time.

There weren't many long messages to read. Everything was straight forward.

The really erudite members were active, and they weren't hungry for points.

It's kinda hard now posting in the forums.

Coz people respond to the title of the TOPIC rather than discussing the topic amongst frihosters
Nyizsa
Blaster wrote:
Also i remeber gonzo Very Happy

Yes, he is hard to forget. Smile
And add one more to the "I liked it better a couple of months (a year) ago" group.
About Bondings, he was always helpful, but I think nowadays the forum is just too big even to read the new posts through, not to mention replying to them.
Also I find harder to find interesting topics. (The problem may be with me, I don't know.)
And I hated rainboxing!!! Mad
saratdear
Well, going by my joining date, the only think I remember was the Five in a Row contest. Smile
Yes, it could have been more, but first when I joined, it was just another one of the numerous ones in which I join, so I just forgot all about Frihost. (I was a bit too addicted to Quake game)
When I returned, the community was bigger.
hunnyhiteshseth
I joined this forum when so called golden & old frihost was getting replaced by new frihost forum(i.e. in June 2006)

So, I remember few things you mentioned like n4life as I read old posts.
At that time I was really confused because what I saw in older posts was completely different from what I was seeing in current posts.
I remember hearing about n4life in some of my posts like over copyright issue I had in contest forum & marketplace but I never saw him posting.

And yes, then bonding posted a lot, I remembe.

But I think all changes are for better. May be this is the only way frihost will become more popular by having more visitors, more forums & therefore, more ad revenues. Wink
Blaster
n4l left last may due to private issues that probley why you don't remember him that much. Also back in i guess febuary there was a really big change. I mean new catogories about 5 new mods and all. It to me was just a lot nicer. The people seemed nicer also.

I remember when the directory was just a dream of the future
I also remember the directory being released
Then i remember it having a problem (i pmed bondings about it and he fixed it) Smile
rightclickscott
Hey, atleast I'm around now. Somewhat. Yeah, I need more incentive to come here. Then I'll be more entertaining. Which reminds me, I'm going to start a new topic!
wumingsden
Because of FriHost growing it had to become more complex, that is how it is, which is why the AWIT system, report system, account system, ect, has been put into place.
Also, members have requested changes like new forums, the directory listing, a shop system (not yet coded), and a lot of other functionality which we now/will soon have. It may seem like the staff are under a lot of pressure, but the systems put into place actually make our life much easier, which is oh-so important due to the fact that we have lifes outside of FriHost like everyone else. Yes, that also includes Steve Wink Because of this we don't have to spend much time here (I myself used to spend up to 7-8 hours a day here), and you may notice that there aren't as much staff members that are active, but because of the systems they also don't need to be. Being involved in discussion threads and not support threads is a different story however. I myself am not now active in these threads because I have been told off about it. Well, not told off as such, but was encouraged not to due to my posts becoming personal. I would like to post material of a certain age (not adult content, but teenage content) which we're unable to do, and I understand why. I believe FriHosts need the personal touch though, but that's only my opinion. Of course, some will say that this isn't true, but anyways. Along with being sick, I don't get much time to do the things that I want to anyway at the moment so this doesn't matter so much. Another thing about the staff: We are now a team, meaning that we don't go off our own back to do something. We're united. Fighting between us doesn't happen anymore what-so-ever. We of course have disagreements because we have opinions, but there are no longer wayward staff members that do it in public.

I wanted to quickly add something too. I don't know whether I should mention this at all, but I'm going to anyway. In the future Frihost is going to have more functions for our members. I cannot mention what they are because nothing has been finalised, so everything is still in discussion. But if you think that the old ways were better, you will soon change your mind.

Oh, and members like Gonzo, Keys, N4L had their chance and blew it. Only they are to blame, no matter what they say. They caused so much hassle for the staff that in the end they had to be banned. To be honest though I do miss Keys and N4L (I didn't know Gonzo that much), I miss them like I miss a back-stabbing bitch of a friend. They had so much contraversy between them, I miss the drama that they had, and at the same time don't. A love/hate relationship I guess.

I Miss the Princess, but at least we have rightclickscott. Cool
Blaster
K3ys was never banned was he... He just doesn't come here anymore i thought....

Anyhow i don't think it gets any better then what it used to be. It seemed like the staff was nicer then too. Don't take me wrong i guess it was because they where more active and helpful i guess. Like i remember talking to mathius and all and morpheus and people like that. Like i guess i miss what morpheus had to say. And bondings always intrested me with what he had to say. It seems like he is overloaded with staff stuff.

I guess it was simpler back then. There was less for staff to do so they could interact with the users.
snowboardalliance
Wait I just realized I've been here longer than you. I'm not as active but I remember a lot of that. I remember I first came here when some host I used went down, I think it was ahost4free (now just webmaster forums http://www.webmasterhotspot.com/forums/index.php?act=idx). Crazy that I found a host and stuck with it finally.
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:

Anyhow i don't think it gets any better then what it used to be. It seemed like the staff was nicer then too. Don't take me wrong i guess it was because they where more active and helpful i guess. Like i remember talking to mathius and all and morpheus and people like that. Like i guess i miss what morpheus had to say. And bondings always intrested me with what he had to say. It seems like he is overloaded with staff stuff.

I guess it was simpler back then. There was less for staff to do so they could interact with the users.

about keys: you assumed such a thing.

The staff are not overloaded with staff stuff, we have just fount time to do more in our real life. With steve it is different of course, seen as he deals with everything behind the scenes and does most of his own coding too for frihost. The other admins also have more responsibility with the day-2-day functioning of the forums, hence they are more busy too. Other than that, frihost is running a lot more smoothly overall.
mschnell
wumingsden wrote:
Blaster wrote:

I miss arguing with k3ys. It gave me a purpose for posting. Now I have to pick through these forums looking for things that are actually interesting and that people aren't just writing about to get their points in. It seems like they're inflated or something--so fill of random articles and just tack-on-a-quick-reply type messages. Rainboxing has to be one of my best memories from this forum.
wumingsden
mschnell wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
Blaster wrote:

I miss arguing with k3ys. It gave me a purpose for posting. Now I have to pick through these forums looking for things that are actually interesting and that people aren't just writing about to get their points in. It seems like they're inflated or something--so fill of random articles and just tack-on-a-quick-reply type messages. Rainboxing has to be one of my best memories from this forum.

Yes, like I mentioned earlier, I miss him too in an odd sort of way. Unfortunately though he was most infamous for his flaming rather than his opinions, but either way he has gone.

I'm 50/50 on when i liked it best. Sure, there were really troublesome members that caused a load of hassle, but there was also the Princess with her amazing posts, and lets not forget her stlye of colouring too. Long life the day that I have rainboxed, but I'm getting too old to do it now.
In general, trying to disregard the princess, there also seemed to be a lot more central threads that were interesting. It seems that members don't post excellent threads like there used to be which is a shame. I think i'm going to try and do something about this when I have time.
funnyerror
I don't Remember the old Frihost because i am fairly new. But it seems to me that you shouldn't be concerned about the 2.5 frih posting if you post more than a few sentences. So i'm guessing you meant that a sentence or two would earn you 2.5 frih. Anyhow the older Frihost does sound cooler.

AND RS1 OWNES!

-FE
nilsmo
Blaster wrote:
[1]I remember when frihost was pretty small.
[2]I remember when the marketplace forum was in the general area and there was a lot less forums
[3]I remember when frihost got a lot of new mods and the forums changed up
[4]I remember when bondings changed the color of the forum skin from regular subsilver to what you see now
[5]I remember when we did rainboxing
[6]I remember when frihost had its first party
[7]I remember n4ls paint banners
[8]I remember the 5 in a row contest
[9]I remember when we got like 2.5 points and frih for each post
[10]I remember when i used to get a little page saying that i can't earn anymore frih because i went over so many posts Very Happy

(I added numbers to the quote) I was never really active in the forums, but I do remember some major changes like 1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10. I remember 10 because once I was really negative in points.

You can't expect a forum admin to remain so active for so many years. He has done a great job. I think in the middle age when there were so many competitions and so much energy the forums were at their best.
Blaster
no wonder k3ys stoped at -2 I miss batteling with him with post count Sad

When it was at 2.5 you got less for each i think. I'm not sure though 100 percent.

Nilsmo i think most of that stuff you weren't around for but you were a member.

And i understand that bondings and stuff. But like at the forum i work at we make it a promise to our members that we will do this because its very important in my mind.
Loghete
I remember when a new Featured Discussion was added every day... or was it? Can't remember xD
Blaster
Loghete wrote:
I remember when a new Featured Discussion was added every day... or was it? Can't remember xD

It was more like every week but thats better then it is now. I don't even know why we still have it.
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:
And i understand that bondings and stuff. But like at the forum i work at we make it a promise to our members that we will do this because its very important in my mind.

And you don't think it is here? Remember that you have been hosted by us, giving you a service that no other host has given you before, and that includes the ones that you've been apart of running. Disagree if you wish, but its the truth.
Life is easier around here for the staff members because of the new systems put into place. I give all my respect for steve for doing this, he didn't have to if he didn't want to. Steve however has to deal with the day-to-day runnings of the servers, and of frihost as a whole (with of course the other admins and the rest of the staff). He is doing is best and his best is actually very good. Just because he doesn't post as much in the forums does not mean that he doesn't care, so please stop trying to incline he does. Not only does he have sole access to the servers (except of course the techs in the US), but he also has a real-life ... which is way more important than frihost. He's providing this excellent service off his own back, earning little or nothing out of it (and sometimes even less), so please remember this.
mathiaus
Blaster wrote:
Like i remember talking to mathius and all

Yet you still can't spell my name Razz
Well I'm not as 'interactive' due to my previous 'interactivity'. By being 'interactive' I fell behind on my coursework and am now trying to do this years and last years, meaning I have less time to be 'interactive'. Sad

Better 'add' something of my own;
I remember Jasna who made part of my layout in the marketplace.
Blaster
@wumingsden yes i agree frihost was the first webhost i have ever had besides some little zoomshare thing. I know bondings has a life and i resepect that. I will never bad mouth someone like bondings. I know he has a lot to do and all. I'm just saying that i miss him posting in the forums like he used to.
rightclickscott
wumingsden wrote:
Well, not told off as such, but was encouraged not to due to my posts becoming personal. I would like to post material of a certain age (not adult content, but teenage content) which we're unable to do, and I understand why. I believe FriHosts need the personal touch though, but that's only my opinion.

I feel that way too. The frihost community seems too closed off, and I think, aside from all the stupid posters (ex:
Some idiot in this thread wrote:
AND RS1 OWNES!
),
that is why I don't come here as often. I think that everyone in this community is keeping to themselves more, when there are certainly those people I would like to get to know better, and become friends with. However, when every other stupid thing happens, idiots posting, stupid threads, etc., I'll get turned off to coming here, and I won't get to make real friends here. The most I have here are admirers. It would be nice to come back here and become some wholy prominent figure, but most of the people here wouldn't consider this a place to make friends, more of a place to get free hosting. Sure, that's how it should be, according to the staff, but I certainly don't feel that way.

</rant>

Quote:
I Miss the Princess, but at least we have rightclickscott. 8)

:D

I never talked to her that much, but she was pretty awesome.
Vrythramax
Hey Blaster.....I'm still here Smile

Bondings has alot on his plate with coding and school, but even if you don't see him, that doesn't mean he doesn't see you. Wink

and I hated "rainboxing" too.
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:

I thought that was fecking classic.
Blaster
Vrythramax wrote:
Hey Blaster.....I'm still here Smile

Bondings has alot on his plate with coding and school, but even if you don't see him, that doesn't mean he doesn't see you. Wink

Don't remind me Rolling Eyes

and rainboxing was awesome. I want that mod. haha Razz it wouldn't have been good if it was still being used.
Hobbit
I remember all that, specially the rainboxing, lol. I seriously thought the forum had gotten hacked. Sigh...
Blaster
I was reading a topic and it was one that the princess posted in so i thought someone got bored and read changed the whole thing Razz
Soulfire
I remember S3nd K3ys as well (haven't seen him around!)

Granted, I'm not a veteran frihoster, but I've been around here for a bit.
DeFwh
I remember when people started selling their signature space for advertising.
I remember when people started using itty bitty text in their signatures.
I remember when the frihost marketplace was not hugely active and did not have a variety of jobs as it does now.
I remember when the frihost directory was made.

I surprised I remember so much! Laughing
lukeropro
I remember everything after bondings changed the subsilver colour to the current one.

Good ole' days.
Arnie
I remember seeing something of the rainboxing and wondering what place I had gotten into. After staying off Frihost for some weeks it was gone and I was happy again. Mr. Green

Small hosts in general seem to have my preference, like the one I used to have (check my very 1st post) but there's no way to change Frihost anyway so why bother Wink

Back in 2005 Frihost wasn't small at all, though. Not the way I experienced it.
lukeropro
I've never seen the rainboxing though.
Was away for that period.
Darn.
Lennon
Me and Blaster are about the same joining date, goes back over a year now. My god.
Blaster
DeFwh wrote:
I remember when people started selling their signature space for advertising.

That all happened when i asked n0obie if i could use it. Well he said sure. Then heady233 asked and he said sure. Well we did that then everyone tried to do it. But of course me and n0obie where the ones getting people. But now i don't even bother.
hunnyhiteshseth
I was browsing through some of my old threads and found this one.
So, I thought of posting this message on this thread's anniversary.

I guess all those who were remembering old days & older members will now be remembered like they were remembering them. Razz

And for this one year, i am posting somethings which I now remember( I guess now I am a senior frihoster):-

(i) I remember when scorpio wrote in his sig:-

Quote:

I am going out for vacation & for the first time my points total will drop below 45

Looks like now, they are regularly a little( Exclamation ) bit below 45

(ii) I remember playing 'guess a number game' in rightclickscott's thread

(iii) I remember when blog was introduced as beta and when it was finally launched.

(iv) I remember introduction of new design where our information is displayed on top of each page.
I remember when search facility of frihost was replaced with search of google.

(v) I remember sudden vanishing of 'Members' link from where we could see frih$, points, joining date, website etc. of each member & sort according to it.

(vi) I remember PMing mathiaus over all my initial problems.

(vii) I remember finding Blaster post almost everywhere.
m-productions
A few people that I liked on the forum I dont see much anymore, such as Captin fertile..

Remember when.. I hosted the guess the image game? xD (I should do that once more).
I dont understand why the rainboxing was removed http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-32569.html. We should be allowed to enable it if we so wish.
Phil
When did Frihost start? I remember literally stumbling across Frihost back in May of 2005 looking for free web hosting. I decided to give it a try, the posts for space and all.
Well I was pleasantly surprised at the the content of the forum posters and their knowledge of web design.
I left about January of 2006. My website had become somewhat popular and I wanted to try out some paid hosting.
Well I found myself lurking from time to time back at frihost and even posting questions that no one could answer at other forums.
About 3 months ago, I figured "What the hell?" and re-opened my account. I use my space primarily as a temp account to play with but my main purpose is just to be part of this community.