FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Happy Good Friday!

dez_trukshun
To everyone on a holiday and who celebrates this beautiful day, Happy Good Friday!
andy26
happy good friday to you to and everyone else here at frihhost
ItsWesley
Yes happy good Friday to everyone here!
Loghete
Happy... Good Friday..

I've been wondering since I saw it on my Australian calendar, why do you call it Good Friday? Here we call it Långfredagen, which means The Long Friday.
Ozzy
Good Friday eh?

Went out to the local club and had some good ol' drunk times.. that was until we tried to catch the courtesy bus back home and we were kicked off due to one mate wanting to punch up with another passenger.

All in all was a fun night.

Hope everyone had a good one.
pashmina
does anyone know how the good friday started..??
calicamper
Good Friday is the day that the Church keeps the anniversary of the crucification of Christ. I'm not sure when people began worshiping on that day in particular.

Quote:
From the earliest times the Christians kept every Friday as a feast day; and the obvious reasons for those usages explain why Easter is the Sunday par excellence, and why the Friday which marks the anniversary of Christ's death came to be called the Great or the Holy or the Good Friday. The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English. Sometimes, too, the day was called Long Friday by the Anglo-Saxons; so today in Denmark.

Here is a link to more information if you are curious:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06643a.htm
hlavco
I never understood why they called it Good Friday. I mean, it's the day they killed Jesus, right? Everybody was all sad and stuff. Bad Friday seems more appropriate.
dayveday
Well, Dr. Google doesn't really come up with a definitive answer why it is called Good Friday (most of the other days in Holy Week are simply called Holy: Holy Thursday, etc.)

On guy suggested it might be a corruption of God (ie God's Friday) or from the meaning of good which is closer to 'holy'.

Anther common suggestion, which I prefer, is that even though it is a very dark day (the day Jesus is betrayed and crucified), he dies to set us free. So, the day actually represents God sacrificing himself, his son, for his people. So, it is also a good day.
Loghete
calicamper wrote:
Good Friday is the day that the Church keeps the anniversary of the crucification of Christ. I'm not sure when people began worshiping on that day in particular.

Quote:
From the earliest times the Christians kept every Friday as a feast day; and the obvious reasons for those usages explain why Easter is the Sunday par excellence, and why the Friday which marks the anniversary of Christ's death came to be called the Great or the Holy or the Good Friday. The origin of the term Good is not clear. Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English. Sometimes, too, the day was called Long Friday by the Anglo-Saxons; so today in Denmark.

Here is a link to more information if you are curious:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06643a.htm

Yes! We call it Long Friday in Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway.. because it was a long day for Christ.. I think.
reddishblue
I managed to avoid those stupid telethon, making it an excellent day for me, and thanks for the info dayveday an interesting snippet you found there!
nilsmo
I had a nice good friday. I actually finished 5 programs. Very productive programming day Very Happy And I had a nice dinner.