FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Leopard PC





_AVG_
I've heard of them from my brother. What exactly are they?
Bones
_AVG_ wrote:
I've heard of them from my brother. What exactly are they?


He is probably referring to the next release of Mac OS, which is called Mac OS 10.5 Leopard.

Interestingly enough, it is said to include Boot Camp. A utility that allows you to dual boot Windows and Mac OS on your Mac. Hmm just what is Steve Jobs trying to say here?
Xeniczone
Though it's a common mis-use of the word PC to refer to it as Windows, or a basic bios computer that is capable of running windows. I going to assum that is what he ment by PC.

If that is true he is talking about Mac OS X Leapord and Bios Based Computer w/ x86, He may be talking about a illegal computer. As it is agenst the lisence agreement and an illegally obtained copy of the Developers version of Mac OS X (Developers version of mac os x isn't restricted to Apple computers, but one lisence will cost you around 500-600 dollars.)

But anything else and I have no idea what he is talking about.
psycosquirrel
I doubt he is talking about an illegal release or a cracked version.

He is probably hyped up about the release of it, that's all. Like the two posters before me said, Leopard is Mac's newest OS.
_AVG_
So, what are the special features of this Leopard Mac?
Bones
_AVG_ wrote:
So, what are the special features of this Leopard Mac?


It is supposed to suck less than ever before apparently. Wink
_AVG_
Bones wrote:
_AVG_ wrote:
So, what are the special features of this Leopard Mac?


It is supposed to suck less than ever before apparently. Wink


Why? It does sound good.
Xeniczone
stupid gay windows fanboy just posting bs.


Its just a new version of Mac OS X that has new features. It's similar to the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista. Except it's not going to suck as much as windows vista and NOT going to require a gaming computer or top end computer to run unlike vista.
psycosquirrel
I think he was kidding, hence the

Quote:
Wink


Or at least, I hope so. There is no reason to dislike Leopard. Very Happy
asianwannabe999
Leopard will still require fairly good mac hardware nonetheless, I believe in order to run smoothly.
Bones
Xeniczone wrote:
stupid gay windows fanboy just posting bs.


Its just a new version of Mac OS X that has new features. It's similar to the upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista. Except it's not going to suck as much as windows vista and NOT going to require a gaming computer or top end computer to run unlike vista.


Thats a good thing because there is no such thing as a gaming Mac. Unfortunately, a run of the mill Mac still costs twice as much as a high end gaming Windows box.

I wouldn't mind giving 10.5 a try though, just to play with it.

Sorry, I don't mean to pick on Mac computers, but I am a gamer, and Macs are utterly useless to gamers.

And yeah ease up, so I'm a Windows fanboy...so what? You're a Mac fanboy, and my OS has over 80% market share..whats that tell you? Laughing And I was only kidding. I so love to poke fun at Mac users, they are all so holier-than-thou when it comes to their OS

If you havent seen it yet, do a web search for the 'why mac sucks' video, it's hilarious!




[EDIT: mathiaus - insult removed]
Xeniczone
Macs are very good at gaming. I would bet you have never tried one or even tried to look up games for it. Metal of Honer, Halo, Age of Empire 3. and if you have now life even World of warcraft is for macintosh.

I can't remember who ran the article but their was an article that say that the newer macs (the intels) are cheaper then other companys like Dell. Now the hard part to compare is that you say well dell has a comptuer for 300 dollars Apple doesn't have that. Well thats because that 300 dollar computer from Dell is a peice of shit and Apple doesn't take time making peices of shit.

Quote:
If you havent seen it yet, do a web search for the 'why mac sucks' video, it's hilarious! Xen will probably rant about how it is so inaccurate etc etc etc but it's too funny.


O, and it is inaccurate. So ****** you.
psycosquirrel
Most Macs are affordable now. But obviously, the Macbook Pros and the Mac Pros are way overpriced still... You can never beat the price of DIY though, which is the main reason I still use PC.

And I am completely neutral Mac vs PC by now... But I must say, Macs SUCK at gaming. Their graphics are vector-based, so most have graphics that are around GeForce5 equivalents, unless you go with a MBP or a Mac Pro...

Bottom line is, you can't compare them, because they have very different functions and very different prices. Mac has no low-end, like Xeniczone said, but their prices start too high for most people. They specialize in graphics usage, and artistic functions. PCs are universal, have more compatibility with everything, and therefore, will cost more to specialize in the same areas Macs excel in out of the box.

So please, STOP the flaming before it begins. Both Mac and PC are good, and arguing pointlessly about which is better is not only irrelevant to the topic, but will get you nowhere.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Bottom line is, you can't compare them, because they have very different functions and very different prices. Mac has no low-end, like Xeniczone said, but their prices start too high for most people. They specialize in graphics usage, and artistic functions. PCs are universal, have more compatibility with everything, and therefore, will cost more to specialize in the same areas Macs excel in out of the box.


I would disagree. I use mac on a day to day basis I find them very universal.

Reminds me of the old Nike commercial or something "Whatever you can do I can do better" Razz




Quote:
Opteron 252 = AMD Opteron 252 (2.6GHz, dual processors, PCI-express)
Athlon FX55 = AMD Athlon FX55 (2.6GHz, PCI-Express)
Xeon GeFU = Intel Dual Xeon GeFU 3.4GHz (PCI-Express)
G5/2.5 = G5/2.5GHz Power Mac (8X AGP)
GeFU = nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra (Mac 8X AGP or PC PCI-Express)
X850 = ATI Radeon X850 XT (PC edition, PCI-Express)
X800 = ATI Radeon X800 XT (Mac 8X Edition)
(1) = STAGE ONE, (2) = STAGE TWO, (3) = STAGE THREE, (4) = STAGE FOUR
(5) - STAGE FIVE


That test was done on a older G5 with a 8x 6800 Ultra.
Now a day macs are better with the ATI and Intel chips, but so are pcs, but no one ever claimed the G5 as a great processor compared to intel anyway. G3 and G4's were but the g5's sucked.

Large part of the proformance increase on the PC was it used a PCI Express the mac was limited to 8x
psycosquirrel
These benchmarks are completely irrelevant, as Opterons are by no means top of the line any more. Not to mention the opty system is 20 fps higher; that is a TON of FPS.

It doesn't even list the GPU. Sad.

And about limited to 8x, no. Do some research. NO VIDEO CARD right now can maximize an 8x slot, not even the beastly 8800GTX (I say beastly due to size and power usage, not to act like it is God or something). A 6800 can't even use all the bandwidth of the 4x slot. Unfortunately, your argument has only made the Mac side look worse. Sad


But like I said before, it irrelevant. Even with the opty and everything, it still doesn't matter because Macs use vector-based graphics, and therefore, don't need ridiculous graphics cards for good speed in Mac apps. Macs instead need massive amounts of RAM because the OS is incredibly RAM inefficient, sorta like Vista is. So this argument is a moot point, and we can completely drop the argument because it is pointless and if I actually get involved any further, everything I say will become too technical for anyone to understand, and it will become a flame war Razz
Bones
Xeniczone wrote:

O, and it is inaccurate. So ****** you.




I didn't say that it was accurate, I would go so far as to say that he is probably a total newb when it comes to computers...but I did say it was funny, which it totally is! If you don't find that video at least slightly amusing, then you need a sense of humor transplant.

I don't dislike Mac by any means. Actually, if the Mac was better suited for gaming, and more developers adopted the Mac OS, I would probably dual boot it with Windows just to play with it.

A friend of mine has 10.4 running on an AMD cpu and it is kinda cool, though it gets boring pretty quickly for me because of a lack of software compared to Windows.







[EDIT: mathiaus - removed comment referring to another user as 'touchy']
Xeniczone
Quote:
These benchmarks are completely irrelevant, as Opterons are by no means top of the line any more. Not to mention the opty system is 20 fps higher; that is a TON of FPS.

It doesn't even list the GPU. Sad.

And about limited to 8x, no. Do some research. NO VIDEO CARD right now can maximize an 8x slot, not even the beastly 8800GTX (I say beastly due to size and power usage, not to act like it is God or something). A 6800 can't even use all the bandwidth of the 4x slot. Unfortunately, your argument has only made the Mac side look worse.


But like I said before, it irrelevant. Even with the opty and everything, it still doesn't matter because Macs use vector-based graphics, and therefore, don't need ridiculous graphics cards for good speed in Mac apps. Macs instead need massive amounts of RAM because the OS is incredibly RAM inefficient, sorta like Vista is. So this argument is a moot point, and we can completely drop the argument because it is pointless and if I actually get involved any further, everything I say will become too technical for anyone to understand, and it will become a flame war


Umm.. Read my post again.

BACK THEN. they used 8x because I not for sure but I think the G's didn't work with x16 or they already planned the intel computers so it wasn't worth updating old hardware.

It does list the gfx cards you need to read my post.


Quote:
Mac users are so touchy

I didn't say that it was accurate, I would go so far as to say that he is probably a total newb when it comes to computers...but I did say it was funny, which it totally is! If you don't find that video at least slightly amusing, then you need a sense of humor transplant.

I don't dislike Mac by any means. Actually, if the Mac was better suited for gaming, and more developers adopted the Mac OS, I would probably dual boot it with Windows just to play with it.

A friend of mine has 10.4 running on an AMD cpu and it is kinda cool, though it gets boring pretty quickly for me because of a lack of software compared to Windows.


Good now inform your friend what he is doing is Illegal, and making him get rid of it. Even if he buys a Mac OS X cd installing mac os x is illegal on a Bios based computer is illegal for 2 reasons.

1. it's agenst the User End Agreement.
2. That isn't a normal Mac OS X Operating system he is running it's the Beta/Developers copy. The difference is the Developers copy isn't limited to just Apple computers and I highly dought he payed the money it costs to get a developers copy.

gosh stupid canadian.
Bones
[quote="Xeniczone"]
Quote:

Good now inform your friend what he is doing is Illegal, and making him get rid of it. Even if he buys a Mac OS X cd installing mac os x is illegal on a Bios based computer is illegal for 2 reasons.

1. it's agenst the User End Agreement.
2. That isn't a normal Mac OS X Operating system he is running it's the Beta/Developers copy. The difference is the Developers copy isn't limited to just Apple computers and I highly dought he payed the money it costs to get a developers copy.

gosh stupid canadian.


I really fail to see how my friend using a copy of Mac OS on a bios based system makes him or myself stupid.

I also seriously doubt that Apple cares if people test their software on a bios based system. If anything, if they (and you) believe that Mac OS is so much better than Windows, I would think you would want people to test it in hopes that they would make the switch to a Mac system for good.
psycosquirrel
Xeniczone wrote:

Umm.. Read my post again.

BACK THEN. they used 8x because I not for sure but I think the G's didn't work with x16 or they already planned the intel computers so it wasn't worth updating old hardware.

It does list the gfx cards you need to read my post.


(snip)

Good now inform your friend what he is doing is Illegal, and making him get rid of it. Even if he buys a Mac OS X cd installing mac os x is illegal on a Bios based computer is illegal for 2 reasons.

1. it's agenst the User End Agreement.
2. That isn't a normal Mac OS X Operating system he is running it's the Beta/Developers copy. The difference is the Developers copy isn't limited to just Apple computers and I highly dought he payed the money it costs to get a developers copy.

gosh stupid canadian.


Sorry, did not see the quote. You missed the point though. 8x vs 16x DOESN'T MATTER. The x does not indicate a multiplier, but the number of lanes of bandwidth. Unless a card can utilize more than the full 8x (which none at the time could), the difference between 8x and 16x is negligible.

In addition, the benchmarks are only detrimental to your argument, as it is clear that the PC outperforms the Macs. Which again, is unfortunate, because I am trying to make a point that both have their benefits, and you can't really compare them, to end this frivolous flame war before it gets worse.

But apparently you can't handle that. You resorted to racism, and that pisses me off. Calling someone stupid based on race, simply because you disagree with them, is COMPLETELY UNCALLED FOR. I'm no moderator, but I have been here long enough to tell you diversity is fully welcome here, and it is ALWAYS bad to discriminate or judge based on someone's race.

That being said, you do not know if Bones' friend has access to a developer edition. I actually was granted access to a legal copy through work, but did not bother because of the inconvenience of getting it running on one of my systems. I'm sure Apple cares, but not enough to chase down the guy.

Seriously, both of you agree to disagree and move on. This argument is going nowhere...
Xeniczone
The point is that Mac didn't do that bad and Apple has said that the new Macintoshes that use Intel Processors are over 2.5 times faster then the origanal G5s.

I started it? He wants to do all the Bull Shit first
Quote:
Mac users are so touchy
Quote:
Xen will probably rant about how it is so inaccurate etc etc etc
Quote:
It is supposed to suck less than ever before apparently.
As far as I'm concerned he attacked me first, and those well to me are interprited as attacting once race. Look I will change one word and it will say to you what it says to me. "Canadians are so touchy."

16x or PCI-Express


8x or AGP8x


http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQyLDIsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Quote:
If anything, if they (and you) believe that Mac OS is so much better than Windows, I would think you would want people to test it in hopes that they would make the switch to a Mac system for good.


Yeah maybe Test it LEGALLY. and even so Download it test it on your bios based computer for a while and then replace your ****** computer with a Apple if you like it if not then quit using Mac OS X illegal. I could probably bet he didn't even buy the cd to try to make it legal.
Bones
Yes I started it by saying
Quote:
It is supposed to suck less than ever before apparently. Laughing


That's not exactly an attack against you personally now is it? It was a joke, it's not my problem if you have no sense of humor and feel personally attacked because someone speaks out against Mac OS.
Helios
OK, enough with the cursing here.

-close-
Related topics
Intel May Get Boost From Robust Taiwan PC Market
GTA: San Andreas PC (OFFICIAL THREAD)
shutting teh pc d0wnzors
What is the best antivirus progrem?
The Best PC out?
what game should I buy
Help me to Import mysql databases from web into home pc !
PC-News Dominicana
Which is better Xbox or PC
Genre de jeux préféré sur PC?
display pictures from www.MESS.be
Guest PC (for mac users)
PC restart because of CPU fan RPM!?
Installing Leopard on PC in 3 Steps
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.