FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Demons?

_AVG_
According to Mythology, devils, demons and monsters did exist a long time ago.

Do you think it is true?
Manus et Therion
I can't say this about all demons I've discovered listed here or there, but they generally seem to be demonized deities of earlier faith systems. History seems to show us that when a new "tribe" conquers someone, they usually take their conquered gods and turn them into demons of the "new king's" pantheon.
jharsika
I do not really think it's true. I believe they just put faces to unexplained shadows and events. The ancient peoples, in general, were extremely superstitious.

If you look at the demons the japanese have....it's impossible to believe any of them could have existed. I mean come on, an EAR demon?! I can't seem to find any website that shows this ear demon, but I have a book of mythology that depicts a creature...made totally of ears. The japanese came up with the randomest demons ever.

You know those pop culture monsters? Werewolves and vampires? There were actually people like that, or that appeared to be that. There were religious groups called skinwalkers that would take hallucinogenics and believed that they could become an animal by wearing it's skin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker_%28mythology%29

The vampire part, well I heard that some people with scurvy or diabetes or something, before they knew what the disease was, would get pale pale skin, and their gums would draw back causing their teeth to bleed (especially near the canines!) This would also make their teeth appear to extend. I have no source of this information, just something someone told me, but it's very plausible. Of course it only takes a few scared commoners and an eccentric lord to spawn stories.
paul_indo
Modern science can explain many things once attributed to demons and ghosts. Not everything though so who can be certain?
turbowolf
Maybe they are true. Even modern science can not explain everything exists in this world. In the January's Discovery Channel, several daemon witness incidents are reported. It seems that at least these witnesses believe what they saw. So anyway, although science can't prove there are demons in this world, they really live in a lot of people's heart.

_AVG_ wrote:

Do you think it is true?
Slash
Demons are real depending on the definitions of what you call a demon.

Just think about it. People call Bush a demon.
Azmo
I dont belive in demons, I belive in lack of knowledge and posibility to think outside the box. Everything dont have to be logical, somethings can just be, because they are.
Revvion
Its possible, but it can also be made of story's where people just liked to exaggerate and over the years story's can change a lot.
death-pures
I think there excisted some kind of demons Very Happy , but not the ones like in those mmrpg's caz those are like too ''hardcore'' they look like death made it himself Cool but i think there were some kind of demons, sort of dragon like ones Exclamation
Azmo
death-pures wrote:
I think there excisted some kind of demons Very Happy , but not the ones like in those mmrpg's caz those are like too ''hardcore'' they look like death made it himself Cool but i think there were some kind of demons, sort of dragon like ones Exclamation

ok, so mmorpg demons are to "hardcore" but dragons are not?

Let's say that they do exist, I rather run into one of the mmorpg demons then try to outrun a dragon.. Smile
celeste_blacke
Well, the only demons I have confronted so far, are my inner demons.
Though many cultures and their respective mythologies mention them, one must always remember that myths and legends are distorted over a period of time, each generation adds a bit of their own understanding of the subject at hand to the legend. Hence, the truth does become distorted about a bit of time.
One has no way of differentiating between the actual story and falsehoods, really.
I, for one, do not believe in either angels or demons.
Slash
Honestly, dragons stand a better chance of having existed due to dinosaurs being proven. Who is to say that a tyrannosaurus rex could not have had wings? Think about it!
silvermesh
Yeah, anyone here watch the Dragons special thing they had on History Channel a while back? pretty cool, they did this whole thing about what it would be like if they found a real dragon carcass, they went into the whole evolution of the creature, it's flight, fire-breath, etc. all explained with pseudo-believable science. Pretty sweet.
Tyger
If there used to be demons there where's the proof? I'd love to see a fossil or something that shows they are, but otherwise I think it's all just in the mythology
medievalman26
Personally I think that they exist in some form today. Not in the sense of Halloween devils or demons. It is more for me at least a religious thing mostly. By that I mean I believe in the devil as well as Heaven and Hell. It is a difficult subject to get an accurate read on because back when those "myths" were being created people that had seizures where considered to be possessed by an evil spirit or demon. We now know that that can be controlled with medication. The thing about monsters is well lets but it this way what people don't understand the consider abnormal so werewolves did not and still don't exist. However some people have a disease that the grow abnormally large amounts of bodily hair and back in the Medieval Era and before were considered to be "monsters" or werewolves. It all comes down to what you are willing to believe and what you choose not to believe or have faith in such as science or religion.
Lord Klorel
demons is a great word and has many forms. In the middle ages someone that was not natural or had strange behaviour, was been called a demon or possesed by a demon.
On the current day i believe in demons under a form depression or illness.
Religiones demons don't excist in my ideas, unless someone can show hard facts that will excist.
As long that there no evidence, everyone has to choose to believe or not in demons.
I hope one day that science and history can show us there excistense.
xanarulz
Demons can be a very vague word, back in time demons were refered to things that man could not explain by common logic, but in our time we have the technology to explain what could not thus altering the meaning of demon.
rheanna
I believe they do........or I wouldn't have met my x Laughing
knight_frost
If you look up in the most significant historical books which is the bible, it is said in that book that they do exists. There are also so many testimonies of the manifestations or presence of this creatures..

For my opinion, they are real. I may not see them but I believe............
Lampton
I too believe there are demons, in various different forms. Maybe literally, or fictionally, or even figuratively. People who often favor the more logic or scientific explanation tend not to believe all that "bs", stating it lacks proof, but even many discovers that works as evidence of ancient creature's existence lacks proofs as well, such as the lack of certain theory of evolution. If many seem to believe in "evolution", then where are all the fossils of "in between" creatures before they became into what they are known today. Even so, some people still accept that theory as fact, which I, too, like to accept.

And who knows, maybe demons were certain race of people that died, or ghosts, or aliens, or some animals that doesn't exist anymore.
polis
_AVG_ wrote:

Do you think it is true?

I don't know.
YushuaMalik
_AVG_ wrote:

Do you think it is true?

I guess it kind of depends on what you define as a demon and monster.

I, myself, believe that Negative Spirited "Jinn" exist, as well as an Accursed Spirit. Monsters......I don't know. I can't say anything about that.
peterwilliams
Jesus Christ, whose word I place great emphasis on, treated the subject of demons and demon possession as very relevant. Demons were and are entities that cannot possess the being of the individual who is constantly alert and has his mind full of good. Demons, however, are readily attracted to the idle of mind, mean of spirit and generally inquisitive about all manner of useless creeds. Demons can be "cast out" as well as prohibited from tormenting unsuspecting victims. If you understand Jesus', the Christ's, mastery over seeming matter, demons should have no hold over you. Study the greatest history book, The Bible.

http://thesilverpeoplechronicle.blogspot.com Very Happy
Coclus
Of course not.. the people just didn't have another answer to all the phenomenons they noticed in nature.. consequently, their ignorance lead to the explanation of demons and ghosts.. I think it is a general tendency of man to believe in the supernatural.
georgekalathil
_AVG_ wrote:

Do you think it is true?
These are all stupid things. Actually they dont exists and are part of the ancient stories and novels......
LeatherRose
oh my god when i read that last little sentance i bursted out laughing so hard..bush a demon! classic.

but yes i do believe the may have exsisted and who knows maybe they still do, but the human mind and eyes are probley to blind to see anything extrodanary...that is what i think

Slash wrote:
Demons are real depending on the definitions of what you call a demon.

Just think about it. People call Bush a demon.