FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

About ancient Greece

jesse
We know that ancient Egypt, ancient Babylon, ancient India and ancient China are recognized as the Four ancient civilizations. However, ancient Greece, which had so much effection on western cultrue, is not in the four. Strange it is? Why?
furtasacra
jesse wrote:
We know that ancient Egypt, ancient Babylon, ancient India and ancient China are recognized as the Four ancient civilizations. However, ancient Greece, which had so much effection on western cultrue, is not in the four. Strange it is? Why?

Where did you read that? Every encyclopedia and history book I own cites ancient Greece as a major influence on politics, art, and architecture. Not to mention the huge influence on ancient Rome, which probably has had more effect on present day Western society than Egypt, Babylon, India and China all put together.
loryl
I guess ancient Greece just aint ancient 'nuff.

Existance of (starting):
Ancient Egypt: 3150 BCE.
Ancient India: 3300 BCE.
Ancient Babylon: 2000 BCE.
Ancient China: 1766 BCE.
Ancient Greece: 1150 BCE.

Or maybe your sources suck. I know mine do. I got all my dates from Wikipedia, which are about as reliable as the final message from the children's game "telephone". Shoot me if you care. I'm too sleep-deprived to do real research at the moment.
palavra
Quote:
Two Macedonian kings, Philip II (ruled 359-336 bc) and his son Alexander the Great (ruled 336-323 bc), filled the power vacuum in Greece by turning their formerly weak kingdom into an international superpower. The mountainous kingdom of Macedonia, north of the central Greek heartland, eventually became the leader of Greece and conqueror of the Persian empire.

Microsoft Encarta 2006. 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The brightest time of ancient greece is time of alexander 323 bc
Lobo23
jesse wrote:

I don't quite understand...

I do know that ancient greece has been an extremely major influence to all subjects of study in the western world today, and Socrates was friggen awesome
boristse
loryl wrote:
I guess ancient Greece just aint ancient 'nuff.

Existance of (starting):
Ancient Egypt: 3150 BCE.
Ancient India: 3300 BCE.
Ancient Babylon: 2000 BCE.
Ancient China: 1766 BCE.
Ancient Greece: 1150 BCE.

Or maybe your sources suck. I know mine do. I got all my dates from Wikipedia, which are about as reliable as the final message from the children's game "telephone". Shoot me if you care. I'm too sleep-deprived to do real research at the moment.

thx
palavra
this is a kind of inferiority complex.

east has its roots in china and india since 5000 years (B.C.)
west also wants to find something in the past
but there is nothing better than ramshackle greece