FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keeping land snails

Eyvind
Hey folks,

Does anyone here keep land snails? I have a nice one that climbed up to the our fifth floor balcony and became our pet. Or maybe he was dropped by a crow... not sure.

And a cool snail link just for fun:

http://www.geocities.com/sarkymite/snails/

Take care,
Eyvind
Satori
How does one go about keeping land snails?? Are they even worth keeping as a pet? Do they do anything interesting? Just curious why anyone would want to keep them as pets Smile
Eyvind
Hey Satori,

Actually, they're quite fascinating. Mine is rather active and does "laps" in his clear plastic box. It's neat to watch him eat and move and "explore" things with his eye-stalks. And the patterns on his skin and shell are purty too. I find snails much more interesting than other "do-nothing" pets like fish. But maybe that's just me. One of the reasons I posted here - to see if anyone else likes 'em too.

Take care,
Eyvind
thealpha
hi all,
my friends do so, they think that it is a very good hobbies,
do you have any problems that I can call my friends to help?
Drawingguy
How long have you had it? Are you just keeping it in this plastic box until it dies, or have you actually looked up how to care for a snail? Hopefully you have, but anyway.

The only memories I have of land snails was this time that I found one of those huge terrestrial snails- as big as my palm- that was just awesome. It was weird and fascinating at the same time, but I still know nothing about it.
TheGustav
Snails do seem like they would be interesting pets. Smile Eventually I'm going to have a zoo full of cool pets like snails and snakes... But for now I'm sticking to my one cat.

At least it gives me something to look forward to.
Satori
Eyvind wrote:
Hey Satori,

Actually, they're quite fascinating. Mine is rather active and does "laps" in his clear plastic box. It's neat to watch him eat and move and "explore" things with his eye-stalks. And the patterns on his skin and shell are purty too. I find snails much more interesting than other "do-nothing" pets like fish. But maybe that's just me. One of the reasons I posted here - to see if anyone else likes 'em too.

Take care,
Eyvind

Thanks for the Reply Eyvind!

They do sound interesting. Are they easy to care for? My guess would be yes, but you never know sometimes. Do you have just one or more than one? If you have more than one, do they have different personalities? I have geckos that most people might find boring to have as pets, but I love them and have noticed that they definitely have their own little personalities. I also have snakes and the same applies to them.

Hope your snails live to be old and gray (however long that might be!)
Eyvind
Drawingguy wrote:
Are you just keeping it in this plastic box until it dies, or have you actually looked up how to care for a snail?

I take good care of my snail. I even try to monitor his "preferences". He's just loves carrots and green lettuce while yellow lettuce and cabbage tend to sit around a little longer before he eats them. Interestingly enough, he also prefers eggshells over cuttle bone for his calcium.

I'll try to post some pictures later this week.

Satori, I believe the large land snails can live up to nine years but I have no way of knowing how old mine is. He was acting a little weird the other day - doing a weird shell twisting dance - so I thought he might be sick, but now he's back to normal. Interesting.

Take care,
Eyvind
Eyvind
Some pics:

Take care,
Eyvind

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
Eyvind
Oh, and here is a FANTASTIC website on snails. Slightly larger species than what I have but very informative.

http://www.thesnailtrail.co.uk/index.htm

Take care,
Eyvind
EdgeHawk
Great pets. And when one gets tired of them....

http://www.hertzmann.com/articles/2004/snails/

Drool
jasmine
I'n one of those girls who don't feel icky when seeing snails. I find them interesting but I'm not sure if I could let them crawl on my skin. XD

But I could hold them by their shell though. XD
oleszka
http://picasaweb.google.ru/papiroska/AchatinaSnails

these snails I have... they are so HUGE and cute -I like them Smile
Rico
Amazing! – I’m a little speechless – the coolness of this thread – Nice!

I remember seeing an article in the Scope in the 70’s of this guy in Britain that had a nice massive tropical snail (a real beaut). This guy (the snail) went with the human everywhere and liked the odd sip of ale down by the local pub. I suppose you’ve got to be quite a unique individual to appreciate an insect for a pet – cool – people never stop amazing me.

I once heard of a chick, apparently she was way pretty and did the whole modeling thing and everything, and rumor has it that she had a bin with some miswurms (don’t know the English – they’re massive worms that you find in bovine dung). In any case she was passionate about these things, as pets. Weird, but cool, seeing she was a hotty an all.
hiquality
yeeee ... i like snails Very Happy.
I even had four of them ... but they died of starvation ... i think Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Anyway i like going out after the rain stops so i can play with them Smile
Eyvind
hiquality wrote:
yeeee ... i like snails Very Happy.
I even had four of them ... but they died of starvation ... i think Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Ya, you gotta feed 'em or they'll do that. A good sign that they're not getting enough food and water is when they pull deep into their shell and a thin film forms over the shell hole.

Incidentally, I've learned that mine doesn' t like cabbage or spinach but loves dark greeen letuce and carrots.

Take care,
Eyvind