FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

keyboard doesn't work when installing windows

prole
I wonder if anybody else had the same problem.

I was trying to reinstall my system [windows xp], when it just started and asked to press ENTER to continue, my keyboard just wouldn't respond and I was stuck at the blue screen. I have a normal PS2 keyboard and regular PC. It only happens when installing windows xp, it worked well when installing other OS like RedHat Linux and Ubuntu. I've tried to install at my local computer store but it worked, that's weird. But when I moved it back to home and tried to install again, the keyboard still didn't work. Nobody could tell what was wrong there and I'm completely confused. My keyboard is not broken or anything wrong, because it worked with other system install, and I checked to make sure that everything was connected well before the install.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated...
Kelvin
Is your keyboard connection port using USB or PS2? This problem may occur on USB type keyboards as they are sometimes not detected in DOS environment until it enters windows. Try switching to a PS2 keyboard if u have one.
prole
Kelvin wrote:
Is your keyboard connection port using USB or PS2? This problem may occur on USB type keyboards as they are sometimes not detected in DOS environment until it enters windows. Try switching to a PS2 keyboard if u have one.

It's always a PS2 one...
johanfh
Never heard this with a ps-2 keyb. In the local store, did you use your keyboard or someone from the store? If you did use your own keyboard, own pc and own xp-cdrom, there seems to be an hardwareproblem. But if you used another keyb in the store I guess something is wrong with the hardwarerecognition of windows. (Maybe you have a keyboard with some extra functionkeys on it?) With USBkeyb and mouse I had this problem a lot of times. Try using another keyboard for installing and use your own when everything is installed, then I think Windows will detect it correctly.

JohanFH
prole
johanfh wrote:
Never heard this with a ps-2 keyb. In the local store, did you use your keyboard or someone from the store? If you did use your own keyboard, own pc and own xp-cdrom, there seems to be an hardwareproblem. But if you used another keyb in the store I guess something is wrong with the hardwarerecognition of windows. (Maybe you have a keyboard with some extra functionkeys on it?) With USBkeyb and mouse I had this problem a lot of times. Try using another keyboard for installing and use your own when everything is installed, then I think Windows will detect it correctly.

JohanFH

It was their keyboard at the store I used when I was there... I don't know what extra function keys mine has or not, but I think it's a pretty common one as I bought many years ago. [I've tried with a new keyboard too which I brought home from the store, just to see if it was keyboard's problem -- still no luck. Then I moved my computer to the store again, people there tested the new keyboard -- there was NO problem at all! Windows got installed fine there on my computer (my own CD)! This really confused me, was there a ghost at my home preventing me from installing windows?!] Actually, this happened only since I changed new motherboard [SiS 650]. Before there was no problem installing the same windows xp.

I still don't know what to do. Should I buy a new keyboard or not? What if it won't work still?
MeddlingMonk
Hmm. Sounds weird. Ok, so you've tried a different keyboard at home and that doesn't work. It does work though with the keyboard when you're at the computer store.

Are there any differences between when you install Windows at home vs. at the computer store?

Quote:
Actually, this happened only since I changed new motherboard [SiS 650]. Before there was no problem installing the same windows xp.

Hmm. Might be that the motherboard has a PS/2 problem. Try updating the BIOS, if you can.

Do you use a PS/2 mouse during the installation? I've heard of conflict errors using PS/2, but usually it's the mouse that causes issues (but never during installation). If the BIOS update doesn't fix it, try using a USB keyboard instead and/or using a serial mouse instead of a PS/2 mouse if you use one. That might help (I've always used a USB keyboard with serial mouse for my PC and never had a problem).