FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wolf Pups

carlmadsen

I've been trying to find information on where to get one as a pet in Victoria, Australia, but no luck Sad

They're just.... so cute Smile

If anyone has any information, it would be greatly appreciated!
woundedhealer
Wolves are wild animals. They belong in the wild, and if you really like them, that is where you would want them to be. Why would you want to make a wild animal miserable for the rest of it's life? Have you really thought about what it would be like for the wolf to be taken away from it's natural habitat?

You may argue that they are bred in captivity to be pets. Unlike their decendents, domestic dogs, they have not chosen to live with man. Unlike dogs their natural instincts have not been surpressed through thousands of years of domesticisity. You could never trust a wolf to run freely with dogs in the park, for fear of it attacking them. Domestic dogs have been used to being fed my man for thousands of years - that's one of the reasons for them chosing to live with man in the first place. Wolves are used to killing their own food. and on the subject of food, what would you feed it? .... dried dog food?

What about the legal side of keeping a wild animal in captivity? What would your neighbours say? There would be so many restrictions, the poor animal would have the most miserable life. To argue that other people have them as pets is no argument at all.

I would really like to vent my feelings on the subject of people wanting to keep wolves as pets, but I would most likely be accused of flamming, so I'll restrain myself.

There are wolf-looking dog breeds about. Get one of those instead.
thealpha
although they look very cute, they may not suitable to keep them at home i think
hlavco
Just get a husky or a German Shepherd. The look is similar.
Annush_K
Can't but agree with woundedhealer. Wolves are not domestic animals and would better kept wild as they are. If you so much want a wolf-like breed, try Chezckoslovakian (hard spelling ._.) Wolfdog, they don't really differ from wolves, neither visually, nor in character. There is a plenty of other wolf-like breeds like Saarloos, Laikas etc.
Rico
Man if I could keep a wolf, it'll be the happiest wolf in wolf history. And think of the perks. Not only do you have a killer guard dog, you don't even have to phone the cops when you've had a break in. Ole Loop de Lupus will eat the frikken guy. Less burden on the criminal justice system and you don't have to buy meat for a week. Where can I get one?
woundedhealer
Rico wrote:
Man if I could keep a wolf, it'll be the happiest wolf in wolf history. And think of the perks. Not only do you have a killer guard dog, you don't even have to phone the cops when you've had a break in. Ole Loop de Lupus will eat the frikken guy. Less burden on the criminal justice system and you don't have to buy meat for a week. Where can I get one?

If you could keep a wolf, it would more likely be the most unhappy, depressed wolf in history. Wolves are not naturally maneaters, and to turn one into one would be an act of cruelty.
roboguyspacedude
Wolves are so cool! Good lick trying to find one. Somebody a few streets over from mine used to have a wolf that was semi-tame and sometimes you could hear it howl. It was pretty cool.
Drawingguy
Do you guys honestly feel that it's cool to have a wolf as a pet? I agree with woundedhealer...it's attitudes like those ("oh, it's cool- I want one") that leads to all of these animals being endangered. Look at so many species of exotic birds- they're just snatched from the wild, with devastating effects on the populations. It may look fun to have it as a pet, but if you compare the life that it could have had- roaming wherever, hunting (which isn't paradise), to what you would give it, aka confinement and mass-produced dog food, I wouldn't say that you're doing the animal a favour.
woundedhealer
Wolves walk 10 mile or more a day hunting for food, that's in their genes. They have a very strict structure to their day. The strongest, energy wise of them is the leader, the rest are followers and have to follow the rules. How can a person become the leader to a wolf? It's hard enough to be the leader of a powerful breed dog.

I'm against keeping wild animals as pets and I think every country should make this illegal. Although the animals already in private hands would not survive in the wild, they could go to sanctuaries.

There are times when it may not be possible for an animal to live in the wild. When they've been injured and would not survive in the wild, then I believe it is satisfactory for them to live out their lives in sanctuary, as long as they have the space they need and can live a happy life.
chrillo
Sweet Smile
bonestorm74
Yeh probably not the best idea to have a wolf as a pet. Best to admire their beauty in the wild, where they belong. I'm sure you can get a dog that looks a bit like a wolf that would be much more suited to a home environment.
woundedhealer
bonestorm74 wrote:
Yeh probably not the best idea to have a wolf as a pet. Best to admire their beauty in the wild, where they belong. I'm sure you can get a dog that looks a bit like a wolf that would be much more suited to a home environment.

My next dog is most likely to be this type of dog. I would only recommend one of these types of dog to a very experienced dog owner. They are powerful breeds and have specific needs, like an enormous amount of excercise. I know someone with two and they get 20 miles excercise a day. The dogs have to know they have to be followers, and that takes an enormous amount of work on the part of the owners.

The smaller of the Spitz breeds have a sort of wolf look and although like all dogs they still need to know their place, they are easier to handle than the bigger, powerful breeds.

I adore watching wolves. They are being re-introduced into Scotland and that's great news.
Rico
Of course you guy’s are right, keeping a wolf as a pet would be unfair to say the least. But just dream a little with me here; imagine you had a 10 000 acre farm up in Canada, and there’s some wolves around and you could by some divine intervention manage to befriend one (highly unlikely), but just say . . . imagine how cool that would be.

We’d be each others pets, I’ll be his human and he’ll be my wolf, whenever it suits him of course. And when he becomes an old wolf and hunting elk becomes a little dodgy and those polar winds start biting through his aging fur and the young wolves start muscling in on his she-wolf action –you know, retiring age. Then. He can come and lie by the fire on a fake bear fur chewing on some beef jerky and watch National Geographic channel with me (biting burglars optional, I’ll shoot them a little first).

That’s what I meant by IF. We’re all on the same page here guys.
Kadaa
Yes wolves are rather "cute" and "adorable" but they are also wild animals. While some people do keep them as a pet it's not best to. Even through training them when they are pups some of their wild side can come and probably will be shown at times. It takes a lot of breeding to actually domesticate animals and even then their are high chances of not all the genes of hunting and even killing are out of them. It is their nature.

Besides, you may say that you want one now but what will happen when you get tired of it, or if it does something you don't like. Are you going to put it to sleep, tie it up and beat it? Even though so many people say they won't, it happens. I used to volunteer at a Wild Wolf Rescue and there were so many abused wolves there, some so scared that they would starve themselves, and others attacking anything that moves because of what they had been through, people thinking that it's "great" to have one as a pet.

Also, it's not good for people to think; "Oh if I can't have a pure wolf I'll breed it with a dog." It's still not a good idea. Genes travel and that killer instinct can go to the puppies, whether they are half breeds or not.

In another world where wolves are nice, yes I would like to have one as well for their strong nature and beauty, but in this world. No, they can live freely.
paul_indo
Yea, cool. I would love a wolf.
woundedhealer
kadaa, you made some very good comments and I commend you for being a volunteer. As for breeding from a wolf, we just have to look at dangerous and agressive dogs. They are like this either because their owners deliberately brought out these traits in them, or because they are dominant and their owners failed to provide the leadership they needed and allowed these traits to surface. If dogs which have been domesticated for thousands of years can be like this, how much worse would a wolfs decendants be?

As a Druid, my animal guide is a wolf, hence my respect for them. I don't daydream about having a wolf for a pet, instead I learn from him. It's an incredible thing to see through the eyes of a wolf, I recomend it to anyone who wants one as a pet. When you experience the world as a wolf does, with all it's smells and sounds, you would never want to keep one in captivity.
Shewolf
woundedhealer wrote:

As a Druid, my animal guide is a wolf, hence my respect for them. I don't daydream about having a wolf for a pet, instead I learn from him. It's an incredible thing to see through the eyes of a wolf, I recomend it to anyone who wants one as a pet. When you experience the world as a wolf does, with all it's smells and sounds, you would never want to keep one in captivity.

Thank you for pointing that out Woundedhealer.

Even though I admire wolves, and have always felt a special connection with them I would never dream of "owning" one. That's why we, mankind, made the dogs; so we could have our pets and playmates.