FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pet Stable!

TheGustav
Hey there! Just finished the final touches to my Pet Stable website. Smile

I think it's pretty dang cool, and could be lots of fun if a community gets built up on it!

You can read up about a bunch of what goes on there below, or you can just skip the reading part (some people dislike reading) and just click on the link found... A tad below this.

Sign up for an account. Very Happy Be cool, be one of the first to use this.... Smile

http://www.petstable.com

Features
You can submit information on your pets, which will be displayed in their very own (almost myspace-like) page!

You submit some very basic information on your pet initially, an administrator has to approve your submission, then it will be displayed in the form of a link (to it's personal page) on the pets page! (organized by category)

From this point, you can click on your pet's link, check out it's personal page (with the basic info submitted earlier) and then you can edit it more indepth!

You can add much more info, and see where it will be displayed on the page, as well as edit any of the other info you submitted. There is also a special CSS box where you can enter various CSS commands to customize your site (That's the myspace-like part. Very Happy )

Pets that I think stand out from the rest will be promoted to the Hall of Fame! (Won't happen until we get a user base) And get a special hall of fame message on their page.

Also, you each get your own individual profile (Not customizable) which compiles links to all of your pets, as well as showing if they're in the hall of fame or not!

Forums
In addition to that part, since this website is going to be heavily community based, rather than the myspace approach of you can comment to your friends, etc. there are forums!

You can chat in the various forum categories, I'm sure you've heard it all before. It's just a regular forum, but built to go along with Pet Stable. Smile

To register an account for the website you need to go to the forums. Smile The information is interchangeable (usable on both the website and forums) but is created on the forums, as found in the FAQ as well as on the login page.

Security?
I hand coded every page to this, all the massive amount of MySQL transfers and etc., I could've left a security hole in the mix....

I tried my best to make it secure... So... If you find some sort of hole, please point it out to me. Very Happy

My email is dan@petstable.com

And if you can, hint to me how I would go about filling that hole? Wink

Tell your friends!
Feel free to leave comments about how you liked the site, what you think is wrong with it, whatever. I won't feel hurt, I just think it's fun to make websites. This one I just spent a tad more time, and had an actual theme to follow.

Oh, and tell your friends about it. Very Happy I have a post in the link exchange forums if you wish to trade links for my links section.

See ya!
benjad
i would love to offer some advice for your web site, but first I need you to do something for me.

get rid of the light blue on red color scheme. it is making me nauseous just looking at it.

thank you Exclamation
TheGustav
Smile What do you suggest?
the6thfactor
Interesting concept, a pet myspace! Neat idea, haven't heard of that one yet Smile
Captain Fertile
A great idea for a site but the toxic red pulls your eyeballs out of their sockets!

A plain white background is generally best (check out any big business site) but anything subtle - not really intense colours as the main background.

Your content and idea can be the best in the world but if your colour scheme gives your visitors a headache they wont stick around to find out more and chances are they wont come back.

I would love to have visited more of your site but I could not because my eyes were hurting - really.

Make some changes tothe colour scheme and I would love to have another look around.

PS. Your forum has a nice colour scheme, why not use that as a starting point and redesign your web site to maych that.

PPS. Strange problem - I tried to register with your forum but I got the following message - "The confirmation code you entered was incorrect"
The registration process showed no confirmation code at registration so I couldn't register. Crying or Very sad

Anyone else getting this or am I doing something wrong?
TheGustav
I've found that problem... I'll try to fix it,

I'll also change the color scheme for you guys. Very Happy
TheGustav
The forums should be working fine now, there was a problem with the theme I was using for them.......

Anyways, I'm still a failure at choosing colors, I changed it a tad to make it....... Different.... Very Happy

It would be quite helpful if you could help me out with the color scheme, just for the link and logo text, the main window, and what's behind that window.

Thanks. Smile
SamiTheBerber
There is a MySQL error on rules.php. You have an old link to register form on your FAQ site. You could make your email to a link, because it is written in there. You could have link to firefox download site, when you tell that it gives better view.

You have heard matters about colour theme so I'm not going to repeat it.
TheGustav
SamiTheBerber wrote:
There is a MySQL error on rules.php. You have an old link to register form on your FAQ site. You could make your email to a link, because it is written in there. You could have link to firefox download site, when you tell that it gives better view.

You have heard matters about colour theme so I'm not going to repeat it.

Thanks, didn't spot those errors. Smile Had recently gone through a database change and thought I had changed all the sites to match it.....

People keep saying how bad my color scheme is, and I keep saying how bad I am at choosing color schemes, since I like the bright vibrant colors that hurt some people's eyes...

So any tips on the colors would be great. O_o
Captain Fertile
Okay, I have registered (under the name kandyx), confirmed by email and posted a couple of posts. I really like the forum colours!!!

I will keep checking back and maybe posting some more. Very Happy
TheGustav
Hopefully you'll get some people to discuss with besides me soon!!! Very Happy

Telling your friends is appreciated. Smile

And hopefully the website color scheme is a tad easier on the eyes?
Alie
Cat picture in left side of header looks really bad Sad It's because cutted photo doesn't suit to your gamma. Think about one big header picture with high quality photo in the middle and nice borders at the top of the site.
I.M.H.O the best suggestion Twisted Evil
TheGustav
Any tips on getting the word of my site out there? O_o

I've done as much advertising as I could... submitted it to many search engines, did my best with meta tags and key words, submitted it to quite a few directories, etc.

Today only 15 different people (not including myself) checked out my website... out of those 15, 2 registered... Out of those 2 who registered, none did anything on the forums, or the unique pet system. Sad

True, there's not all that many posts on the forums... But they could at least submit their pet... And those other 13 could register. Smile

Eh, I suppose I'm just discouraged, it seems quite difficult getting traffic towards my site.
Captain Fertile
TheGustav wrote:
True, there's not all that many posts on the forums... But they could at least submit their pet... And those other 13 could register. Smile

Eh, I suppose I'm just discouraged, it seems quite difficult getting traffic towards my site.

I'm a fraid its a case of, Welcome to the wonderful word of web publishing!

Do you realise how many sites, forums and blogs people can choose from? When you say,
Quote:

It is you that has failed to produce a site that makes them want to sit, register and stay, they have no contract with you so are obliged to do nothing - not even visit.

Nobody owes you anything you have to make them 'have to' register or post. There has to be content and lots of it. I am experiencing the catch 22 of forums with my own forum and blog at the moment. Without members there is no content and withour content you can't get members. I have to keep plugging away until I can't do it any longer and then... ...keep plugging away anyway.

If you get discouraged at this early stage you really need to wake up and realise that your forum will ebb and flow (especially at the beginnning, and always will to a certain extent no matter how popular) but you have to keep at it, it will be frustrating and discouraging but keep at it.

Look at your forum and site like a child, right now she/he has barely been born, hasn't even opened their eyes yet, its far too early to walk away disapointed and write your child off as a loser already. A good dad sticks around, encourages and helps their child grow every day into something fit and strong no matter what - you get the odd disappointment along the way but you never give up trying.

With your forum and website NEVER just sit back and think, "Ok I am finished now, all I need to do is just let them come."

Keep it fresh. Right now it is almost lunch time and I am still trying to formulate a good entry for my blog entry today. At least I know I would rather skip a day than post a bad entry. This is something I have decided myself and not a 'blog expert' on this planet can convince me otherwise. It my site so I will do it my way (unless I fend a better way of course). People can suggest, doesn't mean I have to do everything suggested. You should think the same way a little more.

Constantly keep refining YOUR site and YOUR ideas, find out what works and what doesn't always focusing on one thing - making a site that attractes people and create the one thing we all search for - a 'STICKY' site. One that keeps them coming back for more.

You can keep asking people how to do this and do that. The answer is, nobody knows for sure. Its okay to ask but you also need to be out there and trying things for yourself too. Develop your own good ideas and stick with them, if you believe them to be trully good ignore what others tell you.

If you must take advice listen to those who have done it well and nobody else (this very suggestion may mean you stop listening to me at this point Very Happy ).

Nobody just mindlessly goes to a forum or website and sticks, there has to be something about that site that pulls them in and keeps them - the secret is finding that 'something' for as many people as possible. The problems is NOBODY knows what that something is at any given time for any given person.

REMEMBER: Nobody owes you a living on the web, your survival is 100% down to you. You can blame other factors but when it all boils down to it, it is down to you.

Good Luck!
TheGustav
Indeed it is difficult. Smile I'll keep working at it of course.

And I know they're not obliged to sign up for my site, it's thinking of something that will draw them in that's the problem.... I might work on a few things for now, see where it takes me.
Captain Fertile
Good for you - keep at it and it will work. Very Happy
TheGustav
Well to keep everyone up to date, we've gotten a hand full of registered users to the forums (them posting is another story. Rolling Eyes ) and a few pet submissions. Hopefully eventually the word of mouth will start spreading.

All it takes is one satisfied user. Smile

If you haven't already, check it out! I've made quite a few changes since it was first released.
SamiTheBerber
The colours are now better. Navigation could be done by text with css. This might be all what I say at this time. I think your site isn't yet finish, so fix the layout and make it better Wink