FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac OS X question

Srs2388
Is there a way to make gmail chat work in safari?
Or do I have to change browsers just for it?
When I open safari and go to gmail, then login the chat thing just doesn't show up.
infobankr
Have you tried CAmino? It is like Firefox, but designed specifically for the Mac, even integrates the keychain.
Srs2388
I will do... I tried firefox for os x... I didn't really like it on the mac it was a bit slower and took more memory
_AVG_
Actually, FireFox looks really bad on a Mac.

So, is there any other browser that looks really good on a Mac besides Safari?

Can Internet Explorer work on a Mac?
Srs2388
well, I don't think there is an internet explorer for mac... I wouldn't really want it if it was.
Camino looks somewhat better. I am sticking with Safari though... I will just use adium for gmail chat
Xeniczone
I usally use safari. You may need to look up what plugins are needed to make it work. You should also try "just try" a different browser for the heck of it to see if it accually works on mac. I may self do not use gmail chat.

Yes they do have IE for mac but it was canned at version 5.5. It wasn't good anyway. It constantly crashed on mac, but crashing it typical of a microsoft product Wink.

Some scripts that are used to make Gmail chat work may only work with a certain brower like Firefox or IE. Though if it works in IE7 it should work in Safari.

Do you get any errors when you try to load the page?
jylan
You could also try Opera or iCab, both good mac browsers. I use Firefox most of the time though, but sometimes I have Camino and Firefox open together. Reason being, Camino is much faster than Firefox.
Handyman
You should try shiira . It seems to have ll of the functions of Camino and firefox with the look and speed of Safari.
EricBelt
I've tried them all and prefer Camino. Every once in a while some page looks odd or does something funky so I'll go to Safari. I agree that Firefox is ugly and not very Mac-like. Everything on GMail works great on Camino.
Sphaerenkern
I used Shiira for a long time, but now the 2.0 is out and it's totally unstable. Okay, it looks good, but that doesn't excuse the crashes.
Now I use Camino.
When Firefox looks that shit on your mac, you can use UNO to make it look better. The buttons and stuff on the site stay that ugly, though.
Srs2388
Shirra looks great I am going to download it Smile
thanks... I kind of forgot about this post.
vandetta
Shiira have Tab Expose & Page transition effect, look nice!
nico.carpentier
The Firefox 2.0 version is really faster than the previous one and the ability of the extensions is very confortable to personalise the browser with many good add-ons (rss news, translation, jet lager, itunes control, ical, weather, ftp). For me, the browser is the application i use the most often so it is important to have an easy view on many things.
kiranaghor
Firefox works very slow on my mac. It takes hell of a time to launch. Camino works very fast. And it is very elegant.
fiendskull9
use safari

get Adium - http://www.adiumx.com/

Use its gmail chat plugin

so now you dont have to leave gmail.com open, it works just like an instant messenger :]

-clay
ammonkc
fiendskull9 wrote:
use safari

get Adium - http://www.adiumx.com/

Use its gmail chat plugin

so now you dont have to leave gmail.com open, it works just like an instant messenger :]

-clay

I agree. I would use a dedicated client like adium. I think that it might be possible to do it in safari if you change the user agent. A lot of thing could work in safari, but the web app checks the browser's user agent and decides not to load the feature.
Ranfaroth
By the way, Camino 1.5 was released a few days ago.
ammonkc
Ranfaroth wrote:
By the way, Camino 1.5 was released a few days ago.

I was really excited to try camino 1.5, but it doesn't work on my MBP. When I launch it, it crashes before the window can even come up. I'm pretty sure its the fault of a plugin or some third party thing that I've installed. Probably a SIMBL plugin or something like that. but I can't figure it out. [/i]
HollyK
I guess maybe it is because Safari doesn't support the same kind of Ajax technology? From what I know, Google Talk is sent out of a different port instead of piggybacking the main GMail connection. Also, Safari is not supported by Google Docs and Spreadsheets. Maybe a better idea would be a separate client for the Google Talk account?
_AVG_
As a matter of fact, it should work on FireFox. I tried out the FireFox on Mac. It was really good! I recently got a new version.... Very Happy
why6487
Srs2388 wrote:
When I open safari and go to gmail, then login the chat thing just doesn't show up.

Can you download Firefox? Then try it.
gorn
HollyK wrote:
Maybe a better idea would be a separate client for the Google Talk account?

I use Firefox so I do still use gmail chat sometimes. However, in general I have Adium running for google talk (As well as AIM). It's a better interface than having to click back to your web browser all the time, and obviously it doesn't depend on Firefox versus Safari.
nico.carpentier
some people say firefox is too slow on macintosh platform but i don't agree with this. it's true i use firefox with a macbook pro core 2 duo so it rocks! i use it with the add-ons and it's wonderful to personalize the browser as i need. i don't understand why camino and firefox don't join themselves. moreover it's the same engine... and camino is so close to safari. actually is really camino necessary ?!
Ranfaroth
nico.carpentier wrote:
i don't understand why camino and firefox don't join themselves.
Because Fx is win32-oriented, and is a MoFo product, so Mac people can't really improve it.
Quote:
actually is really camino necessary
Yes : to have a light gecko browser which fit mac environment.
infobankr
I highly recommend both Camino (using it right now!) and Adium. I use Adium with jabber thanks to ejabberd - a great jabber server written in erlang.

http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/
infobankr
Both Camino and Firefox have their place on a Mac. Firefox is definitely a cross platform browser, and Camino is only for Mac. So why have Firefox? Well some of the plugins for Firefox don't work because it is Mac-only.

So... if you have a Mac, use Camino, and when you need to use a plugin, like Firebug or LiveHTTPheaders, use Firefox!
ammonkc
A lot of gmail features just don't work in safari. but chatting in the browser is just kinda clunky all around in my experience. I would go with a dedicated chat client like Adium. Adium connects to my gmail contacts just fine.
As far as FireFox on the mac, I gotta agree that it is horribly ugly, clunky, and slow on the mac. I still use it purely for testing sites that I'm developing, specifically firebug for javascript debugging. but I use safari and camino primarily on my macs.
infobankr
Hi ammonkc - yeah absolutely Adium works great. I did come across this webchat the other day:

http://www.chabotc.nl:2001/chat.html

Its an IRC clients for the web. Very nice actually.
ammonkc
infobankr wrote:
Hi ammonkc - yeah absolutely Adium works great. I did come across this webchat the other day:

http://www.chabotc.nl:2001/chat.html

Its an IRC clients for the web. Very nice actually.

It does look nice. I like the web 2.0 / Ajax interface. Another good web based chat client is meebo.com. it works with most of the big accounts like gtalk, yahoo, aim, jabber, etc... but I don't think it does IRC at all ( I could be wrong). meebo is nice because it just works through the standard port 80. so if other IM ports are blocked by your firewall at work, this will still work. and it has a really slick iPhone chat interface.
Ankhanu
Srs2388 wrote:
well, I don't think there is an internet explorer for mac... I wouldn't really want it if it was.
Camino looks somewhat better. I am sticking with Safari though... I will just use adium for gmail chat

I think there is an IE for Mac... or at least, there has been in years past (ie. before OSX). Likewise, I have no interest in it Razz
I haven't had any issues with Firefox looking bad; but yeah, Camino is pretty nice (other than missing a couple small features and plugins that I like).

Adium for gtalk is really the way to go.
indie_hall
Some of this has been said, but to reiterate and throw a few more ideas around.

Firefox will work but is a memory hog, and looks pretty awful in OS X.

Camino is basically Firefox built with cocoa (the OS X programming language) so it fits in with the OS but still has some memory issues of course.

Safari 3 works fine with Gmail, check out the latest beta (which is out of beta the 26th) at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/.

If you'd to use a dedicated client for Gmail chat (Gtalk for OS X) then Adium works great! Support for AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, etc is included.

If you'd like a dedicated client but only need Gmail, then just use iChat, Google even has instructions on how at http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24076

So there you have it. A pretty comprehensive rundown of your options. I don't know about other OS X browsers (except IE, which you should never use; especially in OS X because it's super old and doesn't work well) so I've given what I know. If you'd like to use another client for GoogleTalk then go to http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html and click on the program you'd like to use; the help gives step-by-step instructions.

Enjoy! Very Happy
mirra
Or you could try the Firefox 3 beta -- it seems to be faster and has some nice new features, such as a more explicit autocompletion in the address bar.
indie_hall
I think Gmail Chat works in Safari 3 (it does on Windows for sure). That being said, there are plenty of other options besides updating your Mac (which I don't see why that would suffice).

You can add your Gmail account to iChat (talk.google.com FAQ has instructions), or you can go the Adium route. iChat is good if you just have AIM and Google, Adium if you have more than that (which I assume you do, like most people).

Hope it helps. Wink
MarzEz
Quote:

looks pretty awful?
then go to addons.mozilla.com and download a theme that doesn't look so bad.
as for speed, how slow is your mac?
the one i'm using is 400mhz mac processor, and i'm running firefox 2.0.0.4 on MacOsX 10.3.9.
so, FIREFOX FOR THE WIN!!!1! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
btw, i also have adium.
and if gmail is being slow on firefox, it might be your internet speed. Sad
still, hope it helps.
ammonkc
MarzEz wrote:
Quote:

looks pretty awful?
then go to addons.mozilla.com and download a theme that doesn't look so bad.
as for speed, how slow is your mac?
the one i'm using is 400mhz mac processor, and i'm running firefox 2.0.0.4 on MacOsX 10.3.9.

When they say firefox looks awful in OS X, I'm pretty sure they are referring to the html form widgets more than the chrome. the widgets look horrible in firefox for osx. You can mod it to use nicer widgets with a utility called firefoxy (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16118). I'm not sure what firefox version that app will work with. I think it says that it'll only work with 1.5x but I've used it with 2.0x and it still worked for me.
MarzEz
thanks for the link, will try it out.
DarkAkira
Adium for gtalk.

Flock is good browser.
ammonkc
Gmail Chat or google talk should work in Safari 3 now. at least it does on Leopard 10.5. I can't remember if it work with safari 3 beta on tiger or not. I would give it another try
jeremyp
ammonkc wrote:
Gmail Chat or google talk should work in Safari 3 now. at least it does on Leopard 10.5. I can't remember if it work with safari 3 beta on tiger or not. I would give it another try

Google Talk works in iChat.
infoplanete
jeremyp wrote:
ammonkc wrote:

Google Talk works in iChat.

Yet I saw that iChat could use Jabber, I didn't manage to get it work with Google Talk. Are you sure of what you said ?
xbcd
just use iChat

If you'd like to use iChat to connect to the Google Talk service, make sure you have Mac OS X Tiger installed on your computer. If you're using a Mac OS older than Tiger (such as Panther), you won't be able to connect to the Google Talk service.

Here's how to configure iChat to connect to the Google Talk service:
Open iChat.
From the iChat menu, select Preferences...

Click Accounts along the top of the dialogue box.
Click the + button along the bottom to add a new account.

Select Jabber Account from the Account Type drop-down menu.
Enter the following information in the appropriate fields:

Jabber ID: If you're signing in with a Gmail or Google Mail username, enter your full email address.
If your Google Talk username isn't associated with any Google email service, add @gmail.com to the end of your username. For example, iloveyoko will become iloveyoko@gmail.com.
If you're a Google Apps user, enter your full email address (gordon@example.com).

Password: Your password.
Server: talk.google.com

Click Add.
Highlight your new account in the Accounts section, and then click Server Settings.
Enter the following information in the appropriate fields:

Server: talk.google.com
Port: 5223

Check the boxes next to Connect using SSL and Allow self-signed certificates. You don't need to check the box next to Warn before password is sent insecurely -- your password is always secure with Google Talk.
Enter iChat in the Location field. If this field is left blank, you won't be able to sign in.
Kashinilaya
indie_hall wrote:
Some of this has been said, but to reiterate and throw a few more ideas around.

Camino is basically Firefox built with cocoa (the OS X programming language) so it fits in with the OS but still has some memory issues of course.

Safari 3 works fine with Gmail, check out the latest beta (which is out of beta the 26th) at http://www.apple.com/safari/download/.

If you'd to use a dedicated client for Gmail chat (Gtalk for OS X) then Adium works great! Support for AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, etc is included.

If you'd like a dedicated client but only need Gmail, then just use iChat, Google even has instructions on how at http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24076

So there you have it. A pretty comprehensive rundown of your options. I don't know about other OS X browsers (except IE, which you should never use; especially in OS X because it's super old and doesn't work well) so I've given what I know. If you'd like to use another client for GoogleTalk then go to http://www.google.com/talk/otherclients.html and click on the program you'd like to use; the help gives step-by-step instructions.

Enjoy! Very Happy

Thanks for the summary. Does Adium supports Skype? I really would like to have only one client for the chat and talk services I use in my Mac.
DarkAkira
Kashinilaya wrote:

Thanks for the summary. Does Adium supports Skype? I really would like to have only one client for the chat and talk services I use in my Mac.

There is a Skype plugin available for Adium.
Kashinilaya
DarkAkira wrote:
Kashinilaya wrote:

There is a Skype plugin available for Adium.

Great. Thanks. I'll look for it.
thadnation
Srs2388 wrote:

as far as i know it does work a least, it works for me.