FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

katyn forest massacre

palavra
http://www.katyn.org.au/

Quote:
Katyn Forest is a wooded area near Gneizdovo village, a short distance from Smolensk in Russia where, in 1940 on Stalin's orders, the NKVD shot and buried over 4000 Polish service personnel that had been taken prisoner when the Soviet Union invaded Poland in September 1939 in WW2 in support of the Nazis.
[NKVD- Narodny Kommisariat Vnutrennikh Del. If you are Polish NKVD means "Nie wiadomo kiedy wroce do domu. Impossible to tell when I will return home."]

In 1943 the Nazis exhumed the Polish dead and blamed the Soviets. In 1944, having retaken the Katyn area from the Nazis, the Soviets exhumed the Polish dead again and blamed the Nazis. The rest of the world took its usual sides in such arguments.

In 1989, with the collapse of Soviet Power, Premier Gorbachev finally admitted that the Soviet NKVD had executed the Poles, and confirmed two other burial sites similar to the site at Katyn. Stalin's order of March 1940 to execute by shooting some 25,700 Poles, including those found at the three sites, was also disclosed with the collapse of Soviet Power. This particular second world war slaughter of Poles is often referred to as the "Katyn Massacre" or the "Katyn Forest Massacre".

i think only this event enough to prove what kind of blood thirsty monster is stalin.
corridor_writers
It is a sad thing when a brilliant mind turns to such evil. Many of the most evil, bloodthirsty louts to ever walk this world actually had great talent (Stalin, Hiltler, etc). Unfortunately talents turned to evil purposes.
Vladalf
Stalin killed many people. I read in a book and it shows he killed more than 36 million people including 7 million people dead of hunger and 21 million people killed in concentration camps.
corridor_writers
Vladalf wrote:
Stalin killed many people. I read in a book and it shows he killed more than 36 million people including 7 million people dead of hunger and 21 million people killed in concentration camps.

Accounts I hace seen place the number lower than this.

Mao 40M
Hitler 34M
Stalin 20M

In comparrison, deliberate killings (we don't count the 30 Million Mao killed by causing a famine) are here....

Hitler 34M
Stalin 20M
Mao 10M

Though most of Hitlers were war casualties, so if you look strictly at MURDERS (not death totals) caused by these people, Stalin does in fact win - as the numbers are more like this:

Stalin 20M
Hitler 15M
Mao 10M

I got these number from this article:
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/tyrants.htm

Here are some other interesting facts to ponder....

Communism has clained 100 Million lives....
http://www.victimsofcommunism.org/

And for more listings of casualties....check out this site, which puts Mao puts the rankings back to Mao, Stalin, and Hitler....
http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html

It is interesting to note that Saddam Hussein - who killed approximately 600,000 - comes in 13th place on the list above.
peterwilliams
A reader of my blog once commented that my blog [url]The Silver People Chronicle[/url] contained some "grim" articles. I answered him that history is often grim, and rightly so, when human beings continue to resort to the "grim" response of warfare. If it should serve anything at all it would be to educate us away from the bigoted and bloodthirsty demons we all have within us.
corridor_writers
peterwilliams wrote:
A reader of my blog once commented that my blog [url]The Silver People Chronicle[/url] contained some "grim" articles. I answered him that history is often grim, and rightly so, when human beings continue to resort to the "grim" response of warfare. If it should serve anything at all it would be to educate us away from the bigoted and bloodthirsty demons we all have within us.

Your URL did not come through. Is your site based on history? I am curious to see and read more about what you refer to here. Can you resend that URL?
corridor_writers
Something to think about. One of the subjects above was "you can't change history". While you can not change what really happened, you can change peoples perspectives on it, and how they remember it, which in my eyes is the same as changing history - especially if these 'changes' make it into a text book.

Other people would also say that one person can not change the past of future. However, here is a quote from a popular 80's song.

"You cant change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world."
- Depeche Mode, New Dress

I love this quote. It's so true!

I think that everyone can change the future in ways to make sure that we DON"T repeate certain grim aspects of our past. Hopefullly nobody abuses power to any extent that they re-write (and 'change') history.