FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

When you open the newspaper comics....

vanille
Which one do you read first?

I end up searching for Garfield or Dilbert. I love those two! So sarcastic, so FUNNY. I love Garfield's sadistic streak and how he manages to be a lazy cat but tremendously torture Odie, Nermal (CUTENESS), and Jon at the same time. And I enjoy corporate humor. Hehe.
PennyCopper
I haven't picked up the newspaper to read the funnies in forever, I find nothing appealing about most of the series being put out today, which is truly a shame, because the cartoonists of today owe everything to the venerable medium.

I am finding that a lot of smaller publishers, such as top shelf & fantagraphix are commiting to preserving the truly great series of the past though -- a new collection of Walt Kelly' Pogo should be hitting the shelves soon, and there is a beautiful new set of Peanuts, Gasoline Alley, and the absolutely gorgeous Calvin & Hobbes boxed set. Smile
Scaramanga
PennyCopper wrote:
I haven't picked up the newspaper to read the funnies in forever, I find nothing appealing about most of the series being put out today, which is truly a shame, because the cartoonists of today owe everything to the venerable medium.

The key word there being "venerable". Sure, it's a medium with a rich history that WAS ahead of its time. But c'mon the recent spate of comics is mostly unfunny, bland, pap. Can someone explain WHY exactly Family Circus is STILL in papers? Maybe it was amusing in the 1950s, but it has NO bearing on today's society. I think most Newspaper strips fall in this category.
PennyCopper
@scaramanga -- Which is precisely why I haven't picked them up in forever. Wink

I think a lot of currently syndicated newspaper cartoonists would do well to look back at the roots of the medium, or hell, the roots of their own work.

Thankfully the tradition isn't completely gone; you just have to dig through piles of truly horrible webcomics to find the gems.
rightclickscott
Recently, printed newspapers have been trying to stretch to get new kinds of comics. Two manga comics that made it into print were Van Von Hunter and Peach Fuzz. Not only that, but there are webcomic artists who get their comics printed in local newspapers, like Shawn Handyside did with his comic, Staccato. Although he hasn't been updating Staccato lately, he probably has his more recent work, Fork You, in the papers. I don't know, I'll have to check.
JinTenshi
Well, I pick up the newspaper and mostly read all the comics there is in there. But sometimes they don't provide any laugh at all ( Like snoopy ) But Garfield and Bizarro ( My Fav ) is nice. Non-Sequiter sometimes gives interesting laughs too I must say.

And there were a few other comic strip titles that disappeared off the newspaper and I forgot the names. They were replaced by not-so-funny comic strips. I wonder what the newspaper companies are thinking. =\
hlavco
On weekdays I read all the comics in order. On Sundays there's a pull-out comic section. I read the back page first and then proceed from the front page in, because the back page has the less funny comics while the second-to-last has the funnier ones, so I end it on a high note. I also skip Prince Valiant because it's once-a-week, story-based, so I can't get into it at all. And it doesn't even try to be funny.

I have a friend who thinks Family Circus is hilarious. I think there may be something wrong with him...
Scaramanga
PennyCopper wrote:
I think a lot of currently syndicated newspaper cartoonists would do well to look back at the roots of the medium, or hell, the roots of their own work.

See, I feel quite the opposite. I think old-guard cartoonists should be looking forward rather than back, for inspiration and innovation. But no, they'd rather make Ziggy-esque bland comics with enough of 'something for everyone', that they please no one.

PennyCopper wrote:
Thankfully the tradition isn't completely gone; you just have to dig through piles of truly horrible webcomics to find the gems.

I'd rather wade through a hundred webcomics to find a gem (or at least in the rough) than read today's "funny" papers.
mansonivan
i like garfield as well. always search for it in d newspaper.