FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

More forum types.

darknez3
It would be nice to have an option to install IPB or vBulletin rather than just phpBB and an unheard of forum called SMF.

I've heard that phpBB has a lot of security issues. Thats why cwhnetworks.com went down.
Maka
That would be down to fantastico and what tyey support, you can install them ones you mentioned manually,
ignition
"Unheard of" may be true, but SMF is a very powerful forum software. I personally use it at my site, Unreal Wallpapers ( http://unrealwp.frihost.net/
)

I don't have any members, but the software is incredible. Just give the admin center a test, you'lll find that SMF includes many of the best options from PHPbb2, vBulletin, and IPB.

As for your original post, don't rely on Fantastico. I haven't even used it once, I prefer to install everything manually. Just uploaded all the files and usually most scripts or forum software will have an install.php file that you run to get the script set up on your server. After that you're good to go.

Fantastico won't support vBulletin because, if you had done a little bit more research before posting, you would have realized that vB is a commercial script. The forum software costs you $160 for a full-time license to run it on your website, or $80 per year. It is not free like PHPBB2 or SMF or YaBB or Xbb.
mOrpheuS
darknez3 wrote:
It would be nice to have an option to install IPB or vBulletin rather than just phpBB and an unheard of forum called SMF.

vBulletin & IPB are not free software.
the precise reason why you don't have the option to install them on your free host.
Wink

phpBB is free & very popular, so it's there.
and as ignition said, SMF maybe unheard of, but it's a really good forum script. it's got features (especially admin) to match IPB & vB.
and it's been known (by those who have used it) to be pretty secure too.
I've personally used SMF and the only thing that I had against it was the rather grim look of it's default skin.
I'm rather poor with graphics, hence I couldn't do anything about it.

I'm sure, with a well designed skin, this forum won't let you down in any way.
Wink
Bondings
darknez3 wrote:

I've heard that phpBB has a lot of security issues. Thats why cwhnetworks.com went down.

I almost used smf for this forum, but I had a lot of problems with it. I don't think they're stable yet and I doubt if they are more reliable than phpBB. And there was no cash hack, and I have no idea how to write one on my own in a matter of a few weeks.
darknez3
Oh darnit :/ I thought I'd be able to get IPB for free Laughing but meh oh welx what can ya do.

Any way to mod PHPbb so it is more secure?
Bondings
darknez3 wrote:
Oh darnit :/ I thought I'd be able to get IPB for free Laughing but meh oh welx what can ya do.
Any way to mod PHPbb so it is more secure?

Just be sure to upgrade to the newest version every time they have a new one. And make backups.
sean
using IPB1.3 with this mods is good idea i think.
http://mods.invisionize.com/db/index.php/f/1286
Helios
SMF is the best board system.
That´s just a fact!

After using PHPBB and IPB and vBulletin for few years, few days ago i´ve decided that SMF is better.

just try it.. install the latest version(1.0.3) via fantastico.

also the mod/theme installation with SMF couldn´t be easier!
and the source codes(php) are very understandable because you have comments every few lines of code!

if you want mods/themes or anything else: http://www.simplemachines.org/

enjoy!
thame
Helios wrote:
SMF is the best board system.
That´s just a fact!

After using PHPBB and IPB and vBulletin for few years, few days ago i´ve decided that SMF is better.

I agree, it's also really easy to skin if you want it to match the rest of your website.
salvojure
Here comes another SMF supporter/user Very Happy

Yeap, the templating part is really cool (at least for me!). I don't really like many themes cos that means many template files and images using up the webspace. But for SMF, it takes as little as 3 files (index, main template, css) to create a new template, cos I can reuse the same images for all the different themes.

Actually what kept me with SMF was the community.... Wink
Astrolopitecos
I agree with morpheus, SMF is the best one, and bondings it is stable i already tried Wink in my site im using phpbb only because i didnt made yet the integration between my site and SMF forum, but when i have done it im gonna swich to SMF forum Wink

stay well Cool
n0obie4life
darknez3 wrote:

no phpbb has not many security issues. its most probaly due to the site NOT updating their phpbb forum.
scs
SMF is way better than phpbb

It ain't unheard of! It used to be yabbforum

The layout of phpbb gives me the creeps,its too simple,can't you make a new one.

smf is so good,i'm using it but in beta release & they check if its stable by having charter members test it first before anyone else,then it goes public & there are many themes and you can still place ads in it & it has a simpler admin center ,it doesn't pop up like the one at the bottom cause its in the menu.
blackant
ever heard of beehives?
It is quite a nice forum too. Razz
scs
Crying or Very sad tried them but icky
DSalisbury
I'm a fan of IPB. It feels, and is, so much more professional than all the others that I have tried. It's also good from a coding point of view - it's all OOP, easy to follow, commented, etc.

Definitely my choice for a forum if I had to run one.
n0obie4life
Time to impose this rule.

No comparing of SMF/phpBB. Talk further on it and action may be done.