FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Looking for a "variable" font...

quex
Hello all! I come to beg your help again.

Specifically, I'd like to ask everyone's collective knowledge if there is a font available online, free OR for sale, that simulates hand-printed Roman (English) characters by cycling variations? That is, one that has two or three different examples of each character and will either cycle them in order, randomly, or allow at-point selection by the user, to better create the effect of real writing. (Y'know, so that duplicate characters don't look exactly, mechanically the same.)

I have one of these for Japanese kanji on my work-supplied computer, but I'm not sure how to search for them in English, or if they even exist. Is there a term for this type of font? Have you ever found one? Please let me know.

Thanks!
{name here}
I do not know of a font that does that, but I do know that Junicode has a natural, bookprint look to it.

Unfortunately, the thing is you basically have 3 fonts to work with that are guarunteed to be on everyones computer - serif, sans-serif, and monospace. Everything else is a crapshoot.
Tex_Arcana
{name here} wrote:
I do not know of a font that does that, but I do know that Junicode has a natural, bookprint look to it.

Unfortunately, the thing is you basically have 3 fonts to work with that are guarunteed to be on everyones computer - serif, sans-serif, and monospace. Everything else is a crapshoot.

Technically those aren't even fonts but font families. Basically unless you apply some kind of voo-doo to your web page you can list any font you want to display on your web page but the only people that are going to see that font are the ones that have it on their own computers. that's why when you designate a font in CSS it's usually a list like helivica, verdana, sans-serif.

That basically tells your readers browser that you prefer it shows your text in helevica, if you don't have that one then verdana is okay, and if you don't have those then use whatever the default sans-serif font is.

I've visited a few sites that have notices somewhat like this:

This site best viewed with the font American Unical Download Here.

I really don't know of many people that have actually done that though just for the sake of the designers idea of what he/she thinks looks good (and I certainly wouldn't trust a person I don't know not to use American Unical in their paragraphs text. What a pain in the @ that would be.)
quex
Junicode... is that J-unicode, or is there a parody font actually named Junicode? I'mma have to look for that one. Thanks!

I understand the limitations of displaying fonts on client computers when using HTML and style sheets... that is an age-old problem, and it definitely does suck. Designing in Flash kills it, though... the fonts you use are vectorized in the program, then rasterized for the presentation. (Or the really ghetto way of getting around it, which is to design the whole site in photoshop, text and all, and slice it into images. Irritating as hell for a client site, fair game for portfolios.)

Which leads me back to the first question... does anybody know where to find a variable font...?
Donutey
You can always mess around with sIFR which lets you have accesability compliant non-standard fonts on a web page. However, due to the delay times imposed by using large blocks of text formatted with sIFR it is best for just heading and such.

http://www.mikeindustries.com/sifr/
GB
Look into some Open Type fonts. These have several selections for each letter and if you use a program like InDesign, you can specify in the paragraph options pallette that it use altrenate characters. I would try that. You also may want to track down the company that made the Japanese font and find out if they make English fonts.

Good luck!
Marston
I don't think you'd find a font that has several different sets of letters and then randomly inserts them into printed text... Confused
GB
I just remembered that House Industries has some fonts that vary the letters.

Their fonts are somewhat expensive, but they are very well done. You get what you pay for.

Good luck!
quex
Dear GB,

THANK YOU! That's the stuff! Very nice collection at House Industries; it's on the List now. Thanks also for the information about the paragraph options palette. I've been very lax about exploring InDesign's capabilities for myself... :oops:

I owe you one! *salute*