FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

25 years since the start of the Falklands War.

brucedes
This was a historic event, and thus this is a good place to discuss it.

I love how the Argentines invaded the island and expected little resistance, but then got thoroughly booted out by the British. Really shows the British Bulldog attitude.
TribalArt
May sound stupid but:

What was the reason for the invasion?

[Don't know much about the Falkland war]
Sharpe
In short:

Argentinian Junta needed some positive news and since Argentina claimed the islands since forever. It was the best option to distract the people from the internal stuff. So they invaded the islands.

Unfortunately the British came down there and kicked them right off again.

More on Google and Wikipedia. ;)
turbowolf
I don't know why Argentinian choose to invade the island. their air force and sea force is too weak that time. All their missles are imported from other country. When the war open, all the power prohibit the weapon trade with Argentinian. The soldiers of Argentinian army are brave indeed. Especially their pilots. They keeep attacking the English naval force, in spite of the loss of airplanes and pilots. But in modern war, the weapons and materials and decide everything. So they lost the war.

Sharpe wrote:
In short:

Argentinian Junta needed some positive news and since Argentina claimed the islands since forever. It was the best option to distract the people from the internal stuff. So they invaded the islands.

Unfortunately the British came down there and kicked them right off again.

More on Google and Wikipedia. Wink
Mrs Lycos
Argentina didn't choose to "invade" the Malvinas. You don't invade your own country. The Malvinas are located in the Argentinian maritime platform, so inernationally that is also part of the country's jurisdiction. Also, Argentina took possession of the islands long before the British really invaded them.

The Argentinian army fought so well, that British had as much deaths as the Argentinian, so after the war the British commander passed a report to the NATO stating that even with a professionally trained army you can't beat an idologically motivated "third world" army. From then on, all war is fought "from the distance", as you can see in Iraq, where the cities are bombarded until everything is distroyed and only then come the soldiers. That's the most cowardly thing in all the history of wars.

Anyway, a French company was selling Exocet air-land missiles to Arentina, but during the war decided not to sell anymore, and told the British that Argentina had the missiles but not the technology to control and target the missiles. So all the british Navy didn't program their radars to detect Exocet. Argentinian technics programmed the missiles to be launched from land. Many of the British ships were lost this way.
jmwarshay
The islands were actually settled by the French. The British and Spanish came later, and eventually the Spanish controlled the islands. Argentina claimed sovereignty in 1816 under the concept that since they belonged to the Spanish, what was Spanish territory became Argentinian.

After a dispute and confrontation with the US in 1833, the British returned and took the islands. (The British still claimed sovereignty when they abandoned the islands in 1774.)

Fast forward to 1982. The military government of Argentina is having economic and political troubles, so tries to use a nationalistic, external event to drum up support. It did so for a while, but Argentina did not have a reasonable chance of holding the islands, though the British took significant casualties. The Argentine leadership miscalculated the British reaction or thought it could buy time.

One good thing that came of the war was a democratic government to Argentina, whose people had enough of the military government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Falkland_Islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_war
gangsterr
do the british still own these islands?
brucedes
They do indeed.
Gilgamesh
The great point is:
The habitants of the island, called kelpers, prefer to be english instead of joining argentina (Economics, power, etc).

Argentina Dictators tried to conquer Malvinas/Falkland, in a attemptive to distract the people of the internal problems. They lost. And this was one cause of the end of Dictatorship in Argentina, and the return of Republic System.
ratfungus
Gilgamesh wrote:
The great point is:
The habitants of the island, called kelpers, prefer to be english instead of joining argentina (Economics, power, etc).

Argentina Dictators tried to conquer Malvinas/Falkland, in a attemptive to distract the people of the internal problems. They lost. And this was one cause of the end of Dictatorship in Argentina, and the return of Republic System.

Actually, they stated they wanted to be British not English. I want to be Scottish not British. Before the war, the Falkland Islanders got hospital treatment in Argentina, if they wanted to go on holiday - they went through Argentina. They couldn't even get a British passport (and I', not talking about ex-pat Brits who moved out there - they had a British passport by birth right).

It was a tragic waste of human life and we came very close to losing the "conflict". It was not officially a "war". I also think the Thatcher government needed bolstering every bit as much as the Galtieri Junta. I served with the task force and lost a couple of friends.
brucedes
I'm sorry to hear that, but I must say I agree completely with Thatcher's actions to go in and defend our territory.
Azmo
it's just an insane story, and realy interesting to read about it
polis
Argentina did several casualties to the british, but wasn't enough.

5 reasons that explain why Argentina lost:

1.- Argentina didn't set up an air base in the islands, so when the british took it back, they had to send the planes from continental land, and could fight only for about 10 minutes after returning to the base, while the british fighters could fight for about 30 minutes, because they had aircraft carriers.

2.- Chile (Argentina's neighbor country) helped the british with comunication, ports, and intel, so the british knew every single weak point of the argentinians.

3.- Argentina didn't use it's entire military power, they might be using no more than a 30% of it's forces, because they were afraid of a Chilean invasion. (Both countries, Argentina and Chile, had a territorial conflict in 1978 that almost cast them into war, and that explain reason number 2 by the way).

4.- Tecnology diference of course.

5.- Internal disorder in the country.