FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hairless Chinese Crested

joyfulheart
Hi...newbie here!

Anyone else have a Hairless Chinese Crested? Despite the fact that I live in a huge US city, I always get stares and questions when I have my dog out in public. Some people ask what is wrong with her and some even ask if she is a dog... Laughing

I am always interested in meeting other Crested owners and who knows if there might not be one here.

God bless,
joyfulheart
Kelvin
needless to say.. it is indeed quite a unique looking dog. With d patch of exposed skin .. people may think that your dog has some kind of skin infection.... Laughing

I think it's one of the less common breeds that people keep, thus the lack of exposure to it.
thealpha
yes, it is quite strange
natem
A friend of mine at school had one of these dogs, it was really cute in a weird kind of way. He always had to wear little sweaters because he got cold so easily. He would snuggle under the blankets at night with my friend, and she had to be careful he didn't get chilled or sunburned when he was out in the sun. He actually had to wear hypoallergenic sunscreen if he was going to be outside more than a few hours. I thought that was pretty funny! He even had little hats, and he didn't mind wearing them. He was such a cool little guy.
Drawingguy
I don't have a problem with them, for the most part. The only thing is, though, is that I've seen several dogs with mange, and I have to say, a chinese crested (hairless) looks awfully similar. I actually think that the title of 'world's ugliest dog' belonged to the late chinese crested, Sam.
Daisie
I must say that they are a bit weird looking!
A friend of mine had 2, he said he loved dog but was allergic to the hair, this was the best alternative!
Annush_K
I'm pretty indifferent to this breed, but my mum loves them. She even supposed me to take one x__x They're cute and all, but I wouldn't want one. Probably just because I have enough fun with my setters. x)
I also dislike the thing with "glamorous" breeds, that the price to pay for the extraordinary look is quite high for them, mostly health wise. They certaintly need more care and attention, and are only suitable for those who can give it to them. :]
Rico
A picture would be nice. Got any?
neljx
joyfulheart wrote:
Hi...newbie here!

Anyone else have a Hairless Chinese Crested? Despite the fact that I live in a huge US city, I always get stares and questions when I have my dog out in public. Some people ask what is wrong with her and some even ask if she is a dog... Laughing

I am always interested in meeting other Crested owners and who knows if there might not be one here.

God bless,
joyfulheart

We were on holiday in Cornwall recently and I saw a family walking about 8 of these dogs! What a sight, you don't see that every day!
Kelvin
Rico you can have a look at how a chinese crested look like here:

http://www.petspots.frih.net/html/breed3.html

It's got kind of a bushy head and an almost hairless body.
thealpha
Wow, i do wanna to have a look on it
Rico
Kelvin wrote:
Rico you can have a look at how a chinese crested look like here:

http://www.petspots.frih.net/html/breed3.html

It's got kind of a bushy head and an almost hairless body.

Man! That’s freaking cute, I always thought those were called Mexican Hairless (but I think it’s just a name my dad made up, he used to amuse himself [and us] by inventing names for things). I’d like to have one but I think the sun here in Africa will fry the poor thing, and then there’s the cats. Have fun with yours though.
m00tmuffin
I always thought that they were called Mexican Hairless too. Wasn't Sam (who I think was actually the Ugliest Dog Ever?) one of those? Strange things...even stranger than Rex cats, who are just completely hairless...the fact that they actually have some hair left is just so bizarre to me, I guess.