FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

More RAM = more performance?

Arno v. Lumig
Hello everyone,

I am going to buy/assemble an new computer. Currently I've selected 1GB of RAM (2x512). The PC is going to run Linux, and won't be used for modern games. Does it make sence to increase the amount of RAM? Linux itself will probably use around 130MB ram when no applications are running, so I have 870MB left for applications.
Applications I will use are "standard" things like openoffice, gimp, firefox, evolution etc.
internetjobs
if you are not going to install smtp, dns or like this server applications... 1 gb ram is enough..
psycosquirrel
Unless you will be multitasking, that is fine.

You may want to get 1x 1Gb stick instead of 2x 512Mb sticks, that way you can upgrade easier in the future.
jay84h
psycosquirrel wrote:
You may want to get 1x 1Gb stick instead of 2x 512Mb sticks, that way you can upgrade easier in the future.

I agree, 2x512MB sticks are fine, but if needed in the future, it will make it worth while to just get 1GB stick, that way your PC will be able to have more memory in the future should you decide to get more gig sticks. You never know what you will do in the future, it's best to be safe. I believe it would even be a nice investment for you to get 2x1GB sticks, so you can have 2GB's which will do you perfect.

Also, remember to get Dual Channel RAM. It's the best RAM on going.
Arno v. Lumig
I chose 2x512MB for increased speed.

The applications I am going to use will NEVER use above 1GB of RAM. It would actually surprise me if I would fill up half a GB.

I was just wondering if getting more RAM will increase my speed. I know I won't be able to fill it.
psycosquirrel
More RAM, with what you said you will be doing, will not increase the speed.

Getting 2x512Mb sticks is not going to be noticeably faster than 1x 1Gb stick though, so go with the 1x 1Gb stick so that your build will be futureproof.
jay84h
I recommended 2x1GB sticks in case you decide to game or anything higher than what you currently plan. But if your going to be sticking to what your doing 2x512GB's is perfect for you.
TheGeek
My file server runs Ubuntu and has a graphical interface (not always running, because it uses up RAM that can be better used otherwise in a server) and it has 1x1GB of RAM and it runs just fine. More then 1GB of RAM is really un-necessary for linux right now unless it is going to run games, multiple virtual machines or as a high traffic server.
Kelvin
You'll definately get more speed out of your comp if you have more RAM. 1GB is the optimal or recommended aount for today's standard. This will ease your comp from bottleneck processing. If you have a comp running on 256MB RAM, you will really notice a boost in performance when upgread it to 1GB. If you want to benefit from the dual channel RAM performance ... u will need 2 pcs of RAM of similar capacity. Else 1x 1GB will give you room to expand more in future and still benefit from dual channel performance.

Check out this latest motherboard from ABIT. http://www.abit.com.tw/page/sa/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=IN9+32X-MAX+Wi-Fi&fMTYPE=LGA775&DEFTITLE=Y

It supports up to 32GB of RAM n uses heatsinks for cooling Very Happy
diduknowthat
Kelvin wrote:
You'll definately get more speed out of your comp if you have more RAM. 1GB is the optimal or recommended aount for today's standard. This will ease your comp from bottleneck processing. If you have a comp running on 256MB RAM, you will really notice a boost in performance when upgread it to 1GB. If you want to benefit from the dual channel RAM performance ... u will need 2 pcs of RAM of similar capacity. Else 1x 1GB will give you room to expand more in future and still benefit from dual channel performance.

Check out this latest motherboard from ABIT. http://www.abit.com.tw/page/sa/motherboard/motherboard_detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=IN9+32X-MAX+Wi-Fi&fMTYPE=LGA775&DEFTITLE=Y

It supports up to 32GB of RAM n uses heatsinks for cooling Very Happy

As to motherboards that don't use heatsinks for cooling? I think you meant heatpipes Smile

Anyways, there's only 4 dimms, which means that if you want to use 32 gigs of ram you'll need to use 8 gig sticks, which is pretty hard to get and pretty darn expensive.
psycosquirrel
No 32-bit OS (standard Linux, Windows XP, etc) can use more than 4Gb of RAM anyways.
Bones
psycosquirrel wrote:
No 32-bit OS (standard Linux, Windows XP, etc) can use more than 4Gb of RAM anyways.

It's actually just over 3G, not 4G as is usually advertised

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

This also applies to 32bit XP as well. All memory mapping must be done in the first 4G (including video ram) so you will never be able to access more than ~3.1G ram on a 32 bit box (at least for Windows, no idea if this applies to linux or not)
ganesh
I think 1 Gig of RAM is more than enough if you are not planning to play games or do extensive video processing etc and you are NOT going to use Windows on that PC.

However, I would still advise you to make sure that you will be able to upgrade the memory later if you want.
loosu
1Gb ram will be mostly too much until you use more multitasking with many applications concurrently .

a 1gb ram , is the one that is recommended to run an internet web server .
IT could support a simulataneous , 100 clients .

i think you could get the power, that could actually be extracted from you ram .
anyway , use it only when wise usage exists .

else u may be actually wasting .
fadirocks
More RAM = More performance (is not true)
It's only true when you actually using the added RAM
YOU CAN ACTUALLY SLOW DOWN your system with too much RAM!
Yes you can actually put more stress on your Chipset to handle the extra RAM so you basically slowing yourself down!
Kelvin
Fadirocks, I agree with you. I only go for 1GB of RAM for PCs and notebooks. But to my personal opinion 256MB of RAM is definately not enough to run XP smoothly. There is just too much waiting time involved. The PC will definately choke and the user will definately not be able to switch back to Windows effortlessly e.g. for gamers who play online games and require switching between Windows and the game... they'll b dead before they can get back to the game.

Diduknowthat, yup sorry i meant heatpipes... and I don't think anyone will use beyond 2GB of RAM anyway.. at least for now. Was just pointing out what these ABIT & ASUS manufacturers can do. Smile
SyNMaN
I suggest getting 2x512 instead of one stick like suggested, better performance that way. Also 1GB is fine for that, but 2 will increase performance due to less swapping. More memory will increase performance in any OS that was developed after 98 I would say. But also remember memory speed instead of just size...
waxxsavea
id say 1x512mb of ram should do it scince your not planning on playing games. Linux i think is far better on resources then windows but windows gives you ore flexibility
pijana_braca
I have 2x256MB + 1x512MB and it all is working good.
CPU is more important for games, i think.
internetjobs
yes.. it give more performance on my p3 system..