FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Change default booting from Linux to Windows XP

xu-lun
I have installed Linux in my PC. So, I have 2 OSs. The problem, this installation make Linux default booting. I'll make Windows XP default booting. Do anyone know how to change default booting to Windows XP?
ezekiel_rage
xu-lun wrote:
I have installed Linux in my PC. So, I have 2 OSs. The problem, this installation make Linux default booting. I'll make Windows XP default booting. Do anyone know how to change default booting to Windows XP?

First off, what distro have you installed?
Secondly, What is the bootloader that you have? Is it GRUB or LILO?

YOU must understand that most people here are geeks not mind readers.

We can help you better AND faster if you would add more details in your post.

To answer your question, Yes there is someone here who knows "how to change default booting to Windows XP".

But first Give more details.

because you have to configure your bootloader
corey
The easiest way to do what you ask (and ezekiel_rage has a point - more details please) is to manually edit your bootloader config file.

Open a terminal and become root user (or for Ubuntu, "sudo whatever"). Then edit your file. Whatever your favorite editor, open it. I use nano, as I'm not into big or complex most of the time. For GRUB, open /boot/grub/menu.lst and for LILO use /etc/lilo.conf.

Find the line that says DEFAULT and change the value (it will be numeric, starting with the first item in the list as 0). If the Linux stanza is first, the Default would be 0, for example. If Windows is the second stanza, then change Default to 1.

Time to take the ball and run with it.
infobankr
Yup ezekiel_rage asked the right questions, we'll at least need to know lilo or grub!

If its grub, you'll want to edit /boot/grub/menu.list - that file will contain your booting choices, as well as how long to wait for you to choose which one to load, and the default, and even some fancy stuff like save default which allows you to try out new kernels and such. Grub rules in my humble opinion.
fleurlavag
you can use windows bootloader, for me its better, just uninstall the linux bootloader (lilo or grub) and use the boot.ini file to point to the section of your HD with linux.

Give us more details about the partitions
ThePolemistis
xu-lun wrote:

Downlaod OSL2000 at http://www.programurl.com/osl2000-boot-manager.htm

It will detect operating systems on your system automcatically, and allow a default operating system with a timeout and many more options.
ezekiel_rage
ThePolemistis wrote:
xu-lun wrote:

It will detect operating systems on your system automcatically, and allow a default operating system with a timeout and many more options.

Pardon me but, you dont need to use third party packages to handle the tastk at hand. Both LILO and GRUB does the job and do it very well.

Beside, the app you suggested is shareware, meaning you have to pay for it eventually. And As I see it it is actually targeted to Windows. Because, with linux this can be done natively.

For the original poster/thread starter, you can see the man pages for both LILO and GRUB by typing man grub or man lilo at a console.

If you cant determine what bootloader you are using, maybe informing us what distro or flavor of linux you are using and we may help you.

Since most distro have a preffered bootloader that it installs by default.

mandriva will install LILO by deafault unless you specify otherwise.

Ubuntu and other Debian based distros install GRUB by default.

Hope this helps you at least a bit
ThePolemistis
ezekiel_rage wrote:
ThePolemistis wrote:
xu-lun wrote:

Pardon me but, you dont need to use third party packages to handle the tastk at hand. Both LILO and GRUB does the job and do it very well.

Beside, the app you suggested is shareware, meaning you have to pay for it eventually. And As I see it it is actually targeted to Windows. Because, with linux this can be done natively.

For the original poster/thread starter, you can see the man pages for both LILO and GRUB by typing man grub or man lilo at a console.

If you cant determine what bootloader you are using, maybe informing us what distro or flavor of linux you are using and we may help you.

Since most distro have a preffered bootloader that it installs by default.

mandriva will install LILO by deafault unless you specify otherwise.

Ubuntu and other Debian based distros install GRUB by default.

Hope this helps you at least a bit

Ok here is the best way....

1. make a copy of the menu.lst file in your linux partition onto the windows partition. explore2fs-1.07 is perhaps the easiest tool to do this. download from http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

2. Download grub installer for windows. Install grub onto WIndows, in folder c:\boot.
3. Copy the menu.lst file into this folder
4. run the grubinstall. Everything should be read as successful
5. Modify your boot.ini file to include C:\boot\stage1="GRUB". This should be added as the last line.
6. Restart computer, inserting the windows boot CD
7. ENter the recovery console
8. Type in fixmbr and press enter. follow what it says
9. Restart computer
10. Done.

There is another way which allows you to do it without the windows boot CD directly from grub itself. I used both methods, and both worked. However, i forgot the grub command for the one without boot disk.

Basically, now you iwll have the normal windows boot mnenu (i.e. the settings in Boot.ini file). You will have the choice of loading the GRUB menu from here.
Obviosuly you can change timeout valiues and the dfeault OS via the boot.ini file.