FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CAKE ENVY: a spontaneous essay

Have you ever found yourself in this sort of situation?
Yes, something similar to this.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but not over something like cake.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, this sounds unfamiliar to me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Damn, I wish I had some cake right now.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

quex
So I'm sitting here at work and eating the snacks the new teachers brought to introduce their home territories. There's this lovely-looking chocolate cake thingy that everyone else seems to have gotten one of, except me. I want one so bad that I have actually considered stealing it from the unattended desk of the teacher behind me.

Why? Why do I want the piece of cake? It's a tiny little square of Japanese confectionery. Probably bitter chocolate, anyway. I have three cookies and a ton of bean-paste balls to eat. I am not starving (oh wait, I DID forget to eat breakfast, which means there will be stale toast to contend with when I get home), and I'm not partial to chocolate. There are more snacks on the counter. It's only 45 minutes to lunch.

So, why the cake? Am I cake-deprived in this foreign country? No, I can go buy my own damn cake after work, with sweet strawberries and fresh cream on top. It would be infinitely more satisfying that the tiny cube of pre-packaged souvenir cake. Why is this bothering me so much?

I suspect it may have something to do with the social order of the workplace. Perhaps I don't want the cake so much as I want to have been given a piece of cake in the first place. Like Milton in Office Space, I'm not upset that I'm not eating any cake -- I'm reacting to the lack of cake presentation. Maybe. I really don't know, I'm just guessing.

Anyway, I feel a lot better, and I don't want the cake anymore. Ah, the power of self-analysis.

Thank you for your time.
Vrythramax
Well....that post earned a few points, and that's about it.

Spam is kinjuru at Frihost.

-closed- as such.