FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PS3 or XBOX360

Relentless
Would u prefer the 360 or the ps3? i would say the 360 coz of the xboxlive comunity...

please say what you prefer and why.. (even involve the ps2 if you must)
TarsajumaClan
I would pick the Xbox... unless it was for movies only... then bluray wins...
Patriot Players
Xbox 360, PS3 is waaaayy too expensive for my tastes. I like my wallet nice and fat thanks.
JinTenshi
PS3 for me. =) I've seen the price drop from US$1300 drop to the now US$700+. In Singapore, it's also sold for SG$700+. Which shows Sony is striving to achieve a larger audience and to become a household console. ( Which previously they stated they were not going to be ) PS3 can achieve extreme graphics that xBox360 cannot.

I've also heard that PS3 is also launching an internet community of some kind. And Sony is definityly more experienced in console production as compared to Microsoft. So I would say, PS all the way! =)
reddishblue
Way more experienced in console making? Huh? One console more really isn't very much, and to all you smart alecs, don't quote me saying "Well there was the PS and PS1 and PSX because those are all nearly the same Cool
I would choose the 360 because I have a first-gen XBOX and I could play my games on it + getting to play Halo 3
Clumsy93
Xbox because it is more affordable than the PS3.
JinTenshi
reddishblue wrote:
Way more experienced in console making? Huh? One console more really isn't very much, and to all you smart alecs, don't quote me saying "Well there was the PS and PS1 and PSX because those are all nearly the same Cool
I would choose the 360 because I have a first-gen XBOX and I could play my games on it + getting to play Halo 3

Dude. PS1 goes way back. And PS2 was quite a leap from PS1 and is launched before xBox. AND xBox launched 360 just to beat PS2 system. And now PS3 is out, xBox would have to keep dreaming of beating PS. Try making xBox as high end as PS3 and see whether it can be affordable Wink
reddishblue
JinTenshi wrote:
reddishblue wrote:

Dude. PS1 goes way back. And PS2 was quite a leap from PS1 and is launched before xBox. AND xBox launched 360 just to beat PS2 system. And now PS3 is out, xBox would have to keep dreaming of beating PS. Try making xBox as high end as PS3 and see whether it can be affordable Wink

Too beat the PS2! It was only a year until every major company released their console, it was released early so that non-gamers would buy the most powerful console on the market, Microsoft knew the sixth generation was gone, they were trying to get in early on the seventh.
JME4213
Xbox 360 because of live mainlybut it does look pretty neat.
wietn
I prefer the Xbox 360..
Playstation 3 is too expensive for me..
dontbeblocked
Relentless wrote:
Would u prefer the 360 or the ps3? i would say the 360 coz of the xboxlive comunity...

please say what you prefer and why.. (even involve the ps2 if you must)

since u say "prefer" in the question and there for dont state who you are or how much money you have... so if i cud have ither i wud deffinetly choose the ps3 though the price is completely outrageous so PSP ALL THE WAY!!
QrafTee
I would prefer the PS3 because it's simply superior. But when you get down to the economics and stuff, I prefer neither. Prices have gone too high for video game consoles... seriously compare it to past consoles. Yes, there is inflation, but this is... just too much.
_AVG_
Out of the two, though it'd be a tough choice, I'd go for the XBOX simply because it has a community online and has wireless controllers! I really like it and it's not as problem-giving as the PS3.
reddishblue
_AVG_ wrote:
Out of the two, though it'd be a tough choice, I'd go for the XBOX simply because it has a community online and has wireless controllers! I really like it and it's not as problem-giving as the PS3.

Um...every major current gen console ONLY uses wireless, not much of an advantage really Confused
Handermier
XBox 360. Why? PS3 has only a few good games that are exclusive to their system at the moment. Why buy for one game when it is so expensive? Maybe when the price goes down, but not now. XBox 360 has a lot of games, a good community, and has been tested longer than PS3 by the gaming community. A lot of kinks worked out.

And to respond to the fact that Microsoft is a step behind in the console making wars is laughable. Microsoft puts a computer on it's side and has a gaming console. Simple as that. They both have access to amazing parts and Microsoft if anything has a better chance at Sony for that war.

-Handermier
Agent ME
Xbox 360.

Nearly ever game supports High Definition (haven't heard of any that don't), but they all also work great in Standard Definition on a 4:3 screen, or 16:9 widescreen.
Love the Live service.
You can download trial versions and buy Live Arcade games such as Worms HD and Small Arms (similar in style to Super Smash Brothers), and download free game demos.
You can also download game and movie trailers and videos, also in High Definition versions.
I can even buy South Park episodes (about $1.50 each) with the Video Marketplace, and quite a few other shows.
There's also a movie-rental system - you pay to download a movie (I think it was $4 standard definition, and $6 for an HD movie - and all HD movies have SD versions too), and then you have 2 weeks to initially watch the movie, and then after you watch it the first time, it auto-deletes after 24 hours (you can watch it again in that time if you wanted to).
When you're playing a game on the 360 and you're signed into the Live service, you'll be able to see who on your friends' list is online, and what game they're playing. You can send them a voice/text message, a game invite to let them join your game if you're playing online, or start a private voice-chat with them while you play your game. Soon, you'll even be able to log into an MSN messenger account and message with that from the 360 thanks to the ability for it to be able to be quickly autoupdated through the Live system (I've never had it take more than 5 minutes to install an update).

I don't think the PS3 online goes that far, I haven't seen much written about that other than the developer accounts of it being hard to code for.
What types of features does it have? Does it have a friends' list, game invites, and messaging at least?
eLto
Oh god. Since I'm a Sony fanboy, I'll say ps3, hands down. However, there's some interesting contests these days claiming that the 360 is better, and why.

Let's go historical.
1991: Super Nintendo
1994: Playstation
1997: Nintendo 64
2000: Playstation 2
2002: Xbox
2002: Game Cube
2005: Xbox 360
2006: Playstation 3
2006: Wii

Look on the list, you'll see that both Nintendo and Sony have more years on the console market than microsoft. Sony and nintendo have handheld consoles too, although the psp and DS aren't all they're souped up to be, they're still there.

The contests going on in magazines claim that the xbox 360 beats the ps3 because of superiour graphics, live capabilites and the most games.

Tell me, in 2000, where the ps2 games as good as they are now? No. Same thing with PS1, Xbox, gamecube, and even Super nintendo. Truth is, graphical capabilites take time to establish and to make work. The ps3 videos shown at e3 2005 were said to be ingame. THey were meant as technical demonstrations showing the power of the ps3, not the initial launch games graphics. When the 360 came out, I wasn't blown away by the graphics at all. The only 2 games that have really blown my mind graphicswise on the 360 are gears of war and fightnight3. Fight night has awesome graphics, but unfortunately, that's about it. Gears of war suffers a story breakdown, and we, the players are not really involved in the story, so it's just a graphical bomb that's fun to play, but story wuse makes no sense at all.

Now, the live functions. Sure, I'll admit that microsoft has done this longer than Sony, giving them the natural upper hand. I haven't tested the ps3 yet, I'm european and broke. Not a good combo. However, Sony has an online function on the ps3, allowing you to download games for ps3 and psp, as well as psone classics for the psp or ps3 to play. I don't know how this lives up to xbox live, as live is a pretty damn good community if you ask me.

Next, there's the whole HD thing. Xbox 360 Premium and even ELITE versions are shipped with a standard DVD rom. THe ps3 comes bundled with a Blu-Ray, and the 360 has a HD-DVD add-on, which sky-rockets the price, making it just as expensive as the ps3, just with less power, and unless you bought the ELITE version, you still don't have an HDMI port, so the HD signals aren't even real. The PS3 is the most powerful one, no doubt, but then again, as with everything, it's up to personal preference, and price. The latter explains why the Wii has been selling so good. It's insanely cheap, but you get what you pay for Wink
eday2010
eLto wrote:
Oh god. Since I'm a Sony fanboy, I'll say ps3, hands down. However, there's some interesting contests these days claiming that the 360 is better, and why.

Let's go historical.

How about going historical and accurate next time? You missed the NES in 1985 (1983 in Japan). The Nintendo 64 was released in 1996, the Gamecube in 2001, and the SNES in 1990 (in Japan, which is the date that should be counted since that is when it was first released). On top of that, Sony's experience goes back to between 1991 and 1992 when they were working with Nintendo to create a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES (which was to be known as Nintendo PlayStation), which eventually began the Sony PlayStation. On top of that, Sony created the sound chip in the SNES, so technically you can start their experience with game consoles in 1990.

Also keep in mind that a company's experience doesn't start with when the system is released, as you are portraying. These systems are worked on for years. Microsoft probably started working on the Xbox in 2000 at the latest, and the 360 not long after the original was released.

Basically all the next-gen consoles out now are already outdated compared to what can be done with a console that would be built this instant. But that is the nature of technology. The next set of systems to come out in the next round will also be outdated when they are released.
enygmasoft
eday2010 wrote:
eLto wrote:

Let's go historical.

How about going historical and accurate next time? You missed the NES in 1985 (1983 in Japan). The Nintendo 64 was released in 1996, the Gamecube in 2001, and the SNES in 1990 (in Japan, which is the date that should be counted since that is when it was first released). On top of that, Sony's experience goes back to between 1991 and 1992 when they were working with Nintendo to create a CD-ROM add-on for the SNES (which was to be known as Nintendo PlayStation), which eventually began the Sony PlayStation. On top of that, Sony created the sound chip in the SNES, so technically you can start their experience with game consoles in 1990.

Also keep in mind that a company's experience doesn't start with when the system is released, as you are portraying. These systems are worked on for years. Microsoft probably started working on the Xbox in 2000 at the latest, and the 360 not long after the original was released.

Basically all the next-gen consoles out now are already outdated compared to what can be done with a console that would be built this instant. But that is the nature of technology. The next set of systems to come out in the next round will also be outdated when they are released.

PS3 is the graphics god and Multmedia god as well, with a killer smarts the system is loaded with a Blue RAY Player.That is always the case, since Hardware developement cannot happen overnight, by any means are any cosoles cutting edge. Even on their maiden Voyage they come off way behind, in relation to the PC. PC are cutting edge because of hardware competitions.
eday2010
The PS3 is also a ton of money, and I am sure the high cost because of the Blu-ray player is turning people away. Some people want a console just to play games; they don't want to use it for anything else. For those people the PS3 is the least attractive of the three consoles. Smart people with a lot of money who want a High definition player without picking sides will buy an LG Super blu for their movie watching Smile
kicy
I got xbox 360 becuase I could easliey back up games and becuase halo 3 was coming out for it, but now I wish I had a playstation 3 because of the free online play.
Relentless
I got my hole Xbox350 set for 79.00 insted of 279.00

I also got 2 Free years of XBOX LIVE GOLD when I brought 1 years worth of XBOX LIVE GOLD for 39.00 i got it for 30.00

Reason...

www.PCworld.co.uk I used to work for them so when my orginal xbox console broke which I brought for 200. they gave me 200 pounds to spend in PCworld so I brought the 360 for 79 and used the 200 pound gift card...

When I left the console was damaged so I tok it straight back and told them what had happend. He then gave me I new Console and discound of XBOX LIVE GOLD and gave me an extra code for XBOX LIVE GOLD... and when I got home XBOX had awarded me with 1 free year od XBOX live lol

Happy days Happy days

So I have 2 more years left now hehe

But I still think the 360 is the best console by FAR. I know the spec of the PS3 is better but the the XBOX really kicks arse. Nearly everyone I speak to has a 360...

and I speak to alot of people...
Come on i'm a street magician lol
RedPiano
I prefer 360 just because of the great online support and all my good friends play 360 so yeah.

PS3 just doesn't have the games to drag me into buying one though, I will get one when killzone 2 and MGS4 are released.
armada
ps3 is not finished yet...
they wiil tke out of line and put again after...
in this moment xbox is better...
Bilkers
I have a 360 at the moment, but I think if I was going for a choice now I think Xbox 360 would have the edge simply because of content and percentage of people I know playing the 360. This may change over time and a PS3 maybe the preferred choice.
gudines
Xbox 360 has more games and there are more titles
andy26
Xbox 360 for the win Cool
eday2010
gudines wrote:
Xbox 360 has more games and there are more titles

Uh...is there a case where a console doesn't have more games but has more titles?
SMS_Mcfarland
At the moment I'd suggest Xbox 360. I personally own a PS3 and let me tell you :/ theres not a very wide game variety. Most of the games on PS3 are shooter games and they all seem to blend in with one another and they get boring. The online system for Xbox 360 is amazing and you can play with like your friends at your house and online while PS3 can only let 1 person play online and some of their games have no multiplayer and not that many people play online. Xbox 360 is probably best at the moment cause they have an extreme variety of games to play. Halo 3 is probably their best and its alot of fun. PS3 hasnt made too many games and like all i use it for is guitar hero... and well thats on 360 haha. The best games for PS3 arn't really even that fun :[ while xbox 360's games are amazing addicting and none stop action. Blu Ray isnt even that impressive if you ask me. Not worth the amount of money you pay for the PS3. Right now its basically just an expensive black box that can play HD movies and guitar hero haha. I'd go for Xbox 360 if i could move back time D: aaaaah
miquelx
i suggest PS3 it has fantastic fraphicas and cool games Smile
Pikokola
PS3 for me, I'll wait for the price to be dropped down...
Don't know why, but I prefer Ps3 (if FF XIII will be released in 360 - not in ps3, then I'll switch to 360 ^^)
n3k0
IMHO I think that ps3 is better than xbox, but I think both of them are too expensive, at least in Spain. Semes that the companies didn't report that one dollar is unequal to one euro, and they do the equivalance one to one when this isn't true.

If you want to conect to the online service of xbox you must to pay every month, but in play station 3 you don't pay.

The hardware is better in PlayStation 3 than in XBox.

The best thing in Xbox is his cataloge, but I thing this will be soon overcomed by Sony.
djcaution
once the big ticket games come out for ps3, everybody's going to be wanting one. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the one I'm waiting for big time. Since the price for ps3 finally dropped to 400 bucks & I have a better paying job now I can finally afford one. I cant wait to get sony's 'home' working on it!
spykE
PS3 is way too expensive for what it is. I mean its like 400 bucks for just the console. Now you can already get an Xbox 360 for 300-350 bucks which will get you atleast one or two games or even four (I got mine with four games for that price). And personally there a much better games (in number and quality) coming out on the 360 now and in the future.
eday2010
djcaution wrote:
once the big ticket games come out for ps3, everybody's going to be wanting one.

I won't. So that's not everybody.