FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Who is your favourite historian person and why?

mahoula
My favourite historian person i believe is Great Alexander because he loved his country very much. he sacrificed his life for her and created a great greek culture.
If you like tell me your favourite historian person and why.
best wishes
pampoon
My favorite historic person would have to be Napoleon Bonaparte. Why? Because he single-handedly took a crumbling country (France) and turned it into a striving military empire.

Under his command, the armies of France fought near ever single European power and conquered most of continental Europe. His campaigns are studied at military academes all over the world. He is also noted for his Napoleonic Code, still partially used by Louisiana's government.

(These are just my opinions)

God bless,
Pampoon
Slash
Mine is going to be John Paul Jones as Number 1 and George Washington as Number 2.
RubySlasher
Winston Churchill, because he actually was a historian, and he SAVED TEH GREAT BRITTAN.
jesse
My favourite historian person is Bismarck. Without him there was no the Second Reich after centuries of splition in Germany. And shortly after he left
From the Prime Minister's post, Germany was involved in WW I.
loryl
Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty. Might be cuz of all the soap operas, but I do think he's cool. He did, after all, create a great empire.
bogger
I looked at this topic thinking this would be about historians (anthony beevor, anyone?)

Alas, no...

My favourite historic person would have to be Kaiser Wilhelm II. 3 reasons:

1) He was a comic genius, some of the things he said had me twittering with laughter Very Happy
2) He made european history interesting. Without him we'd have no 2 big wars, so we'd just have to read up on political shite (boring)
3) He had a lovely moustache
{name here}
I have to say Gary Kildall, who was eclipsed by Bill Gates simply because he wasn't the best businessman, although he was an excellent programmer that could have beat out Microsoft's MS-DOS anyday.
nivinjoy
My favourite historic person is Mahathma Gandhi.His original name was Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.He is recognized as the "Father Of Nation" in India.Gandhi was the major political and of course spiritual leader of India during the Indian independence movement in which India was trying to get it free from the British rule.Though he led the independence movement against the British rule it was strongly and firmly founded upon "Ahimsa" which means total non-violence.This independence movement led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world..His birthday October 2nd was unanimously declared as the "International Day of non-violence" by the United Nations General Assembly.
brucedes
I would say Winston Churchill, as he not only lead Britain during a time of war, and was able to get re-elected after a tremendous loss in the 1945 elections.
Jinx
Leonardo DaVinci is my favorite. Scientist, artist, architect, inventor... Genius!
Dark_Jedi06
Well Alexander wasn't Greek, he was Macedonian. Also, I'd hardly say he created a Greek culture, he simply took the Hellenistic culture and spread it to his many conquered territories. But that's beside the point. Wink

As I stated in a similar thread, George Washington his among my favorite historical figures. While his military career was a resounding success, what I'm more impressed by were his post-revolution contributions. Despite wanting to retire to his Virginia estate, he put his country first and accepted the role as president. What I find even more admirable is the fact that he could have had the power of an absolute monarch, but rejected it in favor of the democracy he had so gallantly fought for. When Washington's generals approached him with an offer to become the permanent and unconditional leader of the United States, he declined, saying, "I did not fight against George III to become George I".
viraj

My fav histori hero is Mahatma Gandhi : (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Popularly called as Bapu, he showde Indians a way to freedom. With his unique wepons "Satya-Truth" and "Ahimsa-Non Violence" he fought the British Government and gave India its freedome.

A few details of Bapu:
Alternate name: Mahatma Gandhi
Date of birth: October 2, 1869(1869-10-02)
Place of birth: Porbandar, Gujarat, British India
Date of death: January 30, 1948 (aged 78 )
Place of death: New Delhi, India
Movement: Indian independence movement
Major organizations: Indian National Congress

Non-cooperation and peaceful resistance were Gandhi's "weapons" in the fight against injustice. In Punjab, the Jallianwala Bagh massacre of civilians by British troops caused deep trauma to the nation, leading to increased public anger and acts of violence. Gandhi criticized both the actions of the British Raj and the retaliatory violence of Indians. He authored the resolution offering condolences to British civilian victims and condemning the riots, which after initial opposition in the party, was accepted following Gandhi's emotional speech advocating his principle that all violence was evil and could not be justified.[3] But it was after the massacre and subsequent violence that Gandhi's mind focused upon obtaining complete self-government and control of all Indian government institutions, maturing soon into Swaraj or complete individual, spiritual, political independence.

Visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_gandhi for more details.
tony
pampoon wrote:
My favorite historic person would have to be Napoleon Bonaparte. Why? Because he single-handedly took a crumbling country (France) and turned it into a striving military empire.

Under his command, the armies of France fought near ever single European power and conquered most of continental Europe. His campaigns are studied at military academes all over the world. He is also noted for his Napoleonic Code, still partially used by Louisiana's government.

(These are just my opinions)

God bless,
Pampoon

yes!! i think also napoleon bonaparte. although i would like to proclaim a swede as this position, but unfortunately we are not so full of favourite historic persons :p we have other cool things though Smile
Coclus
I really like FDR (Franklin D. Roosevelt), as he was able to take America where it is today, and he governed in a very hard time with to major catastrophes (the first being the Great Depression, the second being World War II) and still lead America successfully.
geekbackpacker
Ibnu Batutoh

travel around the world before Marcopolo
pravojednostavno
John Fitzgerald Kennedy, because only he was a non-Protestant president. Also he was the only president who won a Pulitzer Prize, a award for achievements in newspaper and journalism in USA.

Abraham Lincoln, because he led the USA successful through the American Civil War and abolishing the slavery.

His quote:
"Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing."
geekbackpacker
loryl wrote:
Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty. Might be cuz of all the soap operas, but I do think he's cool. He did, after all, create a great empire.

Qing is not Hanyu people. Can you tell me where were Mandarin started?
Myrecords
As far as U.S. history, one of my heroes is John Brown who gave his life and that of his sons for the cause of Black freedom, of course history calls him a madman, he was a revolutionary and a great man.