FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

GOOGLE TO START PROVIDING BROADBAND... ;)

Manofgames
Google wrote:

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 1, 2007 - Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOG) today announced the launch of Google TiSP (BETA)™, a free in-home wireless broadband service that delivers online connectivity via users' plumbing systems. The Toilet Internet Service Provider (TiSP) project is a self-installed, ad-supported online service that will be offered entirely free to any consumer with a WiFi-capable PC and a toilet connected to a local municipal sewage system.

"We've got that whole organizing-the-world's-information thing more or less under control," said Google Co-founder and President Larry Page, a longtime supporter of so-called "dark porcelain" research and development. "What's interesting, though, is how many different modalities there are for actually getting that information to you - not to mention from you."

For years, data carriers have confronted the "last hundred yards" problem for delivering data from local networks into individual homes. Now Google has successfully devised a "last hundred smelly yards" solution that takes advantage of preexisting plumbing and sewage systems and their related hydraulic data-transmission capabilities. "There's actually a thriving little underground community that's been studying this exact solution for a long time," says Page. "And today our Toilet ISP team is pleased to be leading the way through the sewers, up out of your toilet and - splat - right onto your PC."

Users who sign up online for the TiSP system will receive a full home self-installation kit, which includes a spindle of fiber-optic cable, a TiSP wireless router, installation CD and setup guide. Home installation is a simple matter of GFlushing™ the fiber-optic cable down to the nearest TiSP Access Node, then plugging the other end into the network port of your Google-provided TiSP wireless router. Within sixty minutes, the Access Node's crack team of Plumbing Hardware Dispatchers (PHDs) should have your internet connection up and running.

"I couldn't be more excited about, and am only slightly grossed out by, this remarkable new product," said Marissa Mayer, Google's Vice President of Search Products and User Experience. "I firmly believe TiSP will be a breakthrough product, particularly for those users who, like Larry himself, do much of their best thinking in the bathroom."

April fools Very Happy

What's really funny is that they actually made an instruction manual, with pictures to accompany:
http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

And a press release :S :
http://www.google.com/tisp/press.html

seagullspirit
muhahahahh... haven't laughed so hard in weeks
Arseniy
Hah... and some people are really believe in that stuff!=))) Just read comments in that=)))
Vrythramax
That is just too funny! They did something else last year from thier website.....I don't recall exactly what is was, but it wasn't this funny.
Laughing
cheh
hahaha, what they won't think of Laughing

Vrythramax, i remember some artice that described their technology on scaning the internet sites. wait, let me see if i can find it Razz
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html -> i think this is it. i don't know if that's what you meant, but guys at google sure have sense of humour Very Happy
Blaster
Now see that too funny. I love it. Thats awesome. I love how google can play a joke.
Seiji
I thought this was for real at first. I was thinking "leave it to google to start and internet service through toilets." I forgot that today was April Fools.
ncwdavid
haha. I was MSN earlier talking to someone that is on frihost and he showed me a link to it and I totally believed it. I just thought google came up with an amazing idea. I totally forgot it was April fools day Embarassed
dac_nip
haha. I just read this a while ago and was almost fooled by it until I read the instructions on how to install. Fiber optics on your sewage lines! haha, that's just some crazy idea. April fools day it was. Last time they broadcast was about the penguins or some kind birds that control their system. We actually debated about it, me and my biology major schoolmate if it was really possible until we got to the bottom of the article saying it was posted for April fools day! haha. what a mess.
Vrythramax
cheh wrote:
hahaha, what they won't think of Laughing

Vrythramax, i remember some artice that described their technology on scaning the internet sites. wait, let me see if i can find it Razz
http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html -> i think this is it. i don't know if that's what you meant, but guys at google sure have sense of humour Very Happy

Laughing Vry cool, but that was not the prank they pulled last year....I don't think (I may be thinking of the year before). What I really like about Google is that they try to keep a human element into a billion dollar biz.

Kudos to Google. Cool Applause

(besides, they list my nickname almost 2500 (and growing) times...so I feel a sense of loyalty)

EDIT...they only list me 2,240 times Embarassed
tribe
I'm sick of this April Fools bull ****. I've been fooled about 10 times today; even though I know its April Fools Day.

I'm such an idiot; but I must say, Google is expanding rapidly; and I would not be surprised if they did offer broadband in the coming years!

Edited by Vrythramax...please refrain from swearing in the forums.
Chelissamow
When I first read the word 'toilet', I knew it must have been a joke. xD
theem
hahahahah yeah man I've seen it too on google.... Laughing
justnewbie
Lol, hell it's another April Fool trick. Looks like a lot of people believed in that.
Fake
Wink

It's nice to see them a cute joke evrytime

Too bad if u are too dumb to get it Razz
saratdear
I saw somewhere that it was an April Fool joke before actually visiting the page...so no fooling me. Smile
It's great to see that Google cares so much about us to fool us...

But there is something. See the language and the type of presentation Google uses in the April fool jokes :-

Google TISP
Quote:

Sick of paying for broadband that you have to, well, pay for?

Google Gulp
Quote:

How to get Gulped?
You can pick up your own supply of this "limited release" product simply by turning in a used Gulp Cap at your local grocery store. How to get a Gulp Cap? Well, if you know someone who's already been "gulped," they can give you one. And if you don't know anyone who can give you one, don't worry – that just means you aren't cool. But very, very (very!) soon, you will be.

It may not mean anything, but is that wordings weird, or what?
molif
they even played a prank on gmail users on april's fools day

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/paper/index.html

don laugh, i actually believed it..
Vrythramax
Since this particular "holiday" has passed by, I am closing the topic to prevent further spam.

Not an April Fools joke, the topic is really -closed-.